Senators Take Aim At Park Service Lead Ban

Field Notes

September 29, 2009

Senators Take Aim At Park Service Lead Ban

By Dave Hurteau

From a National Shooting Sports Foundation press release via PR Newswire:
A letter signed by [13 Republican] United States senators to Department of the Interior Secretary Ken Salazar raising important questions about actions by the National Park Service (NPS) to ban the use of traditional ammunition in parks that allow hunting has drawn praise from the National Shooting Sports Foundation (NSSF), the trade association for the firearms, ammunition, hunting and shooting sports industry.

In concluding their letter to Secretary Salazar, the senators were very clear as to what they wanted to see: "We request that NPS cease all actions to prohibit the use of lead products on NPS lands by private citizens and NPS personnel."

Check out the full release.

from RJ Arena wrote 4 years 29 weeks ago

Somehow I can't read the full release, but I am not sure on this. I am concerned that it is a back door tactic to increase the cost on ammo, making shooting more expensive, so less people hunt and shoot. When less people hunt and shoot, there are less to oppose anti gun legislation. Maybe I am being paranoid. I feel lately that there is a growing movement to control what I can and can not do,that some "power" that knows what is good for me and what is not wants to make all of my decisions for me. I would like some advice on this issue from those I can trust.

from idahooutdoors wrote 4 years 29 weeks ago

I am tired of bans being put in place on all kinds of items, just because some "important" person in some "offical capacity" thinks "maybe, someday, something, could, be a hazard".....I could see lead build up at a shooting range...but because of random bullets here and there in the mountains...please......just like when they tried to convince us we would get lead poisoning from eating deer after we shot them.....these people have hidden agenda's and look for any loophole to push foward their ideas......

from jbird wrote 4 years 29 weeks ago

I couldn't read the full release either. Hopefully the Senator's included some hard scientific data about the lack of adverse effects the miniscule amount of lead hunters have introduced into National Parks over the last century. There's no doubt lead is harmful, but I don't think sportsmen sling enough of it around in National Parks to justify banning it. I'm even more interested in Salazar's response.

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 4 years 29 weeks ago

I guess I am already PC and didn't know it! I like to punch big holes in tasty big game animals with Barnes Triple Shocks!

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 4 years 29 weeks ago

Matter of fact, we're having elk steaks for my dear mother-in-law's 85th birthday tonight! Mmmmm.

from Bryan01 wrote 4 years 29 weeks ago

You can find the NSSF press release and text of the letter signed by the Senators here:

from Ruckweiler wrote 4 years 29 weeks ago

Had these governmental morons not heard that lead comes from the Earth? I'm surprised that they don't try to ban lead mining as too hazardous. Gentlemen, it's waaay past time to cull this herd.

from Walt Smith wrote 4 years 29 weeks ago

Why don't we introduce our senators to some lead, called term limits. Time to get rid of the "Good Ole Boys".

from 86Ram wrote 4 years 29 weeks ago

I like the fact the Republicans called for the NPS to stop its ban on lead ammo usage.

There is no reason for the National Parks to ban lead ammo. They allow lead split shot and sinkers on fishing line, they should allow lead ammunition.

from 86Ram wrote 4 years 29 weeks ago

The NSSF is a pretty good organization their history and is very interresting. Glad to have them on our side.

from HogBlog wrote 4 years 29 weeks ago

Some of you guys need to read a little more closely... these senators are NOT calling for a lead ammo ban. They're challenging the NPS to provide some evidence of the risks that lead ammo and fishing tackle present a real threat to the environment or human health BEFORE they pass any ban or restrictions.

The National Park Service last year announced that they'd be phasing out all lead ammo and fishing tackle on National Park properties. The industry and consumer organizations jumped down their throats and made them back off of a general ban, but they're still forcing Park employees to use lead-free ammo for culling and management operations. They have also announced that they may come back with a new lead ban for hunters and fishermen.

The senators who signed the letter mentioned in the press release above are challenging the NPSt, and basically saying what a lot of you guys are saying... where's the proof? These "governmental morons" need to be encouraged, not derided. They're doing a good thing.

from babsfish4life wrote 4 years 25 weeks ago

The only hard evidence that I have heard about lead bullets is California Condors eating carcasses and getting sick and this is where it has all started. There is a ban on lead bullets in that area (fine, I could live with that) but surprise guys! they want make everybody do it! sure didn't see that one coming.

from idahooutdoors wrote 4 years 29 weeks ago