Bourjaily: A Trap Table Project from 4-H

The Gun Nuts

October 19, 2009

Bourjaily: A Trap Table Project from 4-H

By Phil Bourjaily

My friend Walter sent me this picture a while back from the Iowa State Fair. The fair is perhaps best known for the life-size butter cow and other butter sculptures* but you see all kinds of neat stuff if you wander around the exhibit halls. Walter spotted this trap-table in the 4-H hall. It won a blue ribbon for Marc Fullerton of Nora Springs in the Science, Mechanics and Engineering category and is solid evidence that 4-H still supports hunting, shooting and other wholesome activities.

It’s a pretty cool project. Two trappers can sit side by side on the picnic table seat. The cutout in the middle holds a cardboard box for empty hulls, and there are four padded barrel rests on each end of the table.
Congratulations to Marc and to 4-H.

*this year’s controversy: PETA** and right-wing groups sided together to successfully oppose a butter Michael Jackson. The conservatives disapproved of Jackson’s morals, while PETA wanted the statue made from margarine.

**Speaking of PETA and Iowa, I note with here with, perhaps, misplaced pride that when PETA mascot Chris P. Carrot visited a Des Moines school several years ago to promote vegetarianism he was attacked by a mob of children. They stuffed beef jerky into his costume, then chased him back to his van, hurling bologna at him and chanting “F*#%  PETA! We love meat!”

from Sb Wacker wrote 4 years 26 weeks ago

PETA are a far right organisation. They oppose choice.
SBW

from Ralph the Rifleman wrote 4 years 26 weeks ago

Yea, that's a neat bench!
PETA...If this organization were driven to help the homeless, and social outcasts(if this is a PC acceptable word?)I would respect their drive,BUT the causes they fight for are just down right dumb.

from Amflyer wrote 4 years 26 weeks ago

Classic! Welcome to the heartland, PETA.

How do you, by the way, pronounce "F*#%"?

I'm thinking "F-schwing-zeep-crangtwit" in my head, but that could be wrong.

from Beekeeper wrote 4 years 26 weeks ago

4-H is still a remarkable organization even though political correctness has started to creep in. For instance shooting sports programs are to be referred to as Project SAFE now and most award ribbons presented are Blue, Red and White instead of First, Second and Third place.

As for PETA, it would figure that they would promote rampant deforestation in Brazil and other South American countries to continue to produce subsidy soybeans necessary for the production of margarine. I will remind them again, no cows are harmed to produce butter fat. They line up at the barn and beg to be milked...

from KJ wrote 4 years 26 weeks ago

PETA just can't figure it out, can they? By the time most people get a 3rd grade education they've learned that we exist in something called a "food chain." Gotta love those Iowa kids!

Cool table, too.

from 86Ram wrote 4 years 26 weeks ago

Nice looking table and useful at that.

PETA: Too bad the youngins didn't have pitch forks and torches lmao

from Ruckweiler wrote 4 years 26 weeks ago

4-H yeah! PETA Booo!

from ranger2 wrote 4 years 25 weeks ago

I built a duck blind for my 4-H project...I still got a blue ribbon, but that table is a nice piece of work!

I would have paid good money to see the vegetable mascot get beat up by grade schoolers~ is there a video?

from jamesti wrote 4 years 25 weeks ago

is there a blue print for that table?
why would a school and parents let someone come in to promote vegetarianism? without meat in a childs diet they would get malnurished if they don't take a ton of vitamins! besides, try to get a kid to stay away from mcdonalds. they will get awful mad!

from petehubbard wrote 4 years 25 weeks ago

I like the table.. the only thing missing is a grill. So u could be grilling your steaks, burgers, hotdogs, and other Anti-Peta delicasies, while shooting clay pigeons with "peta" written on them..LOL!!

from MLH wrote 4 years 25 weeks ago

Trap doubles. That kid was thinking.

Lucky that Carrot didn't get buttered and feathered.

from Zermoid wrote 4 years 24 weeks ago

PETA, they want to end animal suffering by killing all pet animals, why else does their headquarters have a crematorium? Or are they (I hope) planning a mass suicide for themselves?

Remember the ones who got caught killing "rescued" animals and dumping them at the Piggly-Wiggly?

They are such a twisted, crazy logic bunch that I don't even want to get started on them, do some web searching for PETA, the info is out there.

from Ralph the Rifleman wrote 4 years 26 weeks ago

Yea, that's a neat bench!

from KJ wrote 4 years 26 weeks ago

Cool table, too.

from Amflyer wrote 4 years 26 weeks ago

Classic! Welcome to the heartland, PETA.

How do you, by the way, pronounce "F*#%"?

I'm thinking "F-schwing-zeep-crangtwit" in my head, but that could be wrong.

from Beekeeper wrote 4 years 26 weeks ago

from Ruckweiler wrote 4 years 26 weeks ago

4-H yeah! PETA Booo!

from ranger2 wrote 4 years 25 weeks ago

from Sb Wacker wrote 4 years 26 weeks ago

PETA are a far right organisation. They oppose choice.
SBW

from 86Ram wrote 4 years 26 weeks ago

Nice looking table and useful at that.

PETA: Too bad the youngins didn't have pitch forks and torches lmao

from jamesti wrote 4 years 25 weeks ago

is there a blue print for that table?

from petehubbard wrote 4 years 25 weeks ago

from MLH wrote 4 years 25 weeks ago

Trap doubles. That kid was thinking.

Lucky that Carrot didn't get buttered and feathered.

from Zermoid wrote 4 years 24 weeks ago