Cermele: Best Wishes, Tred

The Lateral Line

May 21, 2009

Cermele: Best Wishes, Tred

By Joe Cermele

Love the man or hate him, you can't deny that Captain Tred Barta is highly entertaining on his Versus show, "The Best and Worst of Tred Barta." While even I'll admit that sometimes I find him to be a know-it-all, he is one hell of a hunter and fisherman. You can't take away the number of world records the guy has landed and killed either. I have never met the man, but I was still sad to hear that he may be permanently paralyzed from the chest down.

From the Sebastian Sun:
"On his way to Alaska to tape his TV show, Tred Barta recently suffered a rare occurrence called a spinal stroke. He is currently paralyzed from just below the chest down. Prognosis is way up in the air at the moment."

Granted, details on this whole thing are hazy at best. But even if you can't stand Tred, he is a passionate outdoorsman, and since I'm much the same, I think being paralyzed would be a fate worse than death. Sitting by the ocean or the trout stream and not being able to do what I love is a pain I won't pretend to be able to comprehend.

Hopefully Tred will pull through. Or hopefully we'll find out that this is not as bad as initial rumors would have us believe. But regardless, it's the kind of story that gives you all the more reason to fish often and fish hard, because none of us ever know what tomorrow will bring. -- JC

from 60256 wrote 4 years 47 weeks ago

I personally like Tred Barta's shows and this is pretty sad for me to hear news like this.

Nate

from hnestle wrote 4 years 47 weeks ago

That is a fate worse that death. Hopefully he pulls through and gets better.

from jcarlin wrote 4 years 47 weeks ago

That's terrible. That was the only show on Vs. that I'd make an attempt to see even if I was doing something else.
Hang in there Tred.

from Elmer Fudd wrote 4 years 47 weeks ago

that's in the zone of cruel fate like Beethoven going deaf.

Let's pray to God he can recover, can't wish that on anybody!

from woofbarkenarf wrote 4 years 47 weeks ago

Truly tragic news. But my impression of Tred tells me that he will continue to "do it the hard way, the Barta way"

Lets hope the man is inspired rather than defeated.

Best wishes, TRED.

from Koldkut wrote 4 years 47 weeks ago

X2 on that being a fate far worse than death. Hope the outcome is better than what it looks like right now.

from snuffy wrote 4 years 47 weeks ago

Holy Sh*t!!! Scary that something like that can happen out of nowhere! I found him amusing and entertaining, didn't always agree w/him but he was a sportsman!!! I hope he recoupes w/o compications.

from jersey pig wrote 4 years 47 weeks ago

i loved watching the guy but don't know if i could hunt with him. however the guy does a lot to promote the sports. i personally would beg someone to push me in if all i could do was sit next to the stream and watch. my prayers are with him, good luck tred.

from Beekeeper wrote 4 years 47 weeks ago

You can't keep Tred down. I'd bet he will still be breaking records, even from a wheel chair. He'll look at it as just another challenge. May God return him to health.

from jbird wrote 4 years 47 weeks ago

Our prayers are with you Tred.

from Jim in Mo wrote 4 years 47 weeks ago

Sorry to hear that, he was boisterous but entertaining, and genuine in his passion for what he did.
The good news is he still has use of his arms and shoulders so he won't be just sitting by a stream. Thumbs up to Tred.

from Joe_Cermele wrote 4 years 47 weeks ago

All, have gotten some inside info that things are actually looking better for Tred. He's regained some feeling lower in his body. Will keep you all posted. Like Woof and BeeKeeper said, it would take a lot to keep that guy down.

from troutrageous1 wrote 4 years 47 weeks ago

Joe I hope your info is true. I really enjoy Tred's work. (The episode where he tries to shoot geese with a bow & arrow is great.) I look forward to your blog post reporting his full recovery. Good luck Tred!

from whiteriverguide1 wrote 4 years 47 weeks ago

I am truly sorry to hear that news. Scary how fast life can change. Hope he rebounds from this incident of life. I'd like to fish him on the White River or hunt with him anywhere. I love his shows. He reminds me of me. Not afraid to do it the hard way. The rewards truly are greater when you catch that trophy fish on a fly you tied or an animal falls to a homemade bow and arrow. Gotta love that. My familys prayers are with you Tred.

from Del in KS wrote 4 years 47 weeks ago

He is one heck of a sportsman. Hope he comes out of this OK.

from huskerguy wrote 4 years 47 weeks ago

That is sad to hear. I wathced his show as often as I could. There was no BS on his show. He'd have good hunts and not so good hunts at times. Just they way it really is. Not always getting the animal that your going for. Hang in there Tred.

from scottprice wrote 4 years 47 weeks ago

this is terrible, i love his show. i hope everything works out and he can get back onto the water and into the woods. best wished tred.

from Keith D wrote 4 years 47 weeks ago

Our prayers are with you Tred!

from Chris Carpenter wrote 4 years 47 weeks ago

hell of a guy and sportsman we're pullin for you tred

from dgbroox wrote 4 years 47 weeks ago

The man is full of passion for the outdoors. He is in my prayers.

from fishin fool wrote 4 years 47 weeks ago

GOD be with you brother Tred.

from FloridaHunter1226 wrote 4 years 47 weeks ago

I remember seeing an episode of Ted where he was taking a son and father out fishing and would not allow the son to fish until he got the "terms of the boat" right. Seemed like it took over 2 hours and you could tell by the expression on the boys face. Regardless, he is a great guy, and through his shows, many could see his passion for the great outdoors which was nothing less than amazing and inspiring.

from okiedoug wrote 4 years 47 weeks ago

Anyone know where to send Tred a note? tried his websight, couldnt get passed the book sale.

from peter wrote 4 years 46 weeks ago

thats to bad. i dont know what i would do if i couldnt walk, hopefully he will do ok though

from j-johnson17 wrote 4 years 46 weeks ago

I hope he pulls through this and makes his way back to television. I think he has a great show and wish him the best and a speedy recovery.

from buckhunter wrote 4 years 46 weeks ago

Our prayers are with you Tred.

from Big O wrote 4 years 46 weeks ago

Got this from another poster, I hope this is right.
Send em' a note, prayers.
tred.barta@bartaiso.com

from 007 wrote 4 years 46 weeks ago

Thoughts and prayers go out to him and his family.

from TonyO wrote 4 years 46 weeks ago

This is very sad news, my prayers and best wishes for a fast recovery are with Tred.

from dwaynez wrote 4 years 45 weeks ago

Sad news, I really enjoy his show, he makes his views known and you like it or leave it, but he sticks to his beliefs.

Prayers and best wishes are sent his way

from steve182 wrote 4 years 45 weeks ago

I have never heard of a Spinal Stroke. Sad. I do hope the outspoken but entertaining outdoorsman will be back doing what he loves in no time. Get well Tred.

from Peter Campbell wrote 4 years 39 weeks ago

I recently watched him go Pheasant hunting with a longbow- and he actually got birds!

from woofbarkenarf wrote 4 years 47 weeks ago

Lets hope the man is inspired rather than defeated.

Best wishes, TRED.

from jcarlin wrote 4 years 47 weeks ago

Hang in there Tred.

from Elmer Fudd wrote 4 years 47 weeks ago

that's in the zone of cruel fate like Beethoven going deaf.

Let's pray to God he can recover, can't wish that on anybody!

from Beekeeper wrote 4 years 47 weeks ago

from 60256 wrote 4 years 47 weeks ago

Nate

from hnestle wrote 4 years 47 weeks ago

That is a fate worse that death. Hopefully he pulls through and gets better.

from Koldkut wrote 4 years 47 weeks ago

from jersey pig wrote 4 years 47 weeks ago

from Jim in Mo wrote 4 years 47 weeks ago

from Joe_Cermele wrote 4 years 47 weeks ago

from huskerguy wrote 4 years 47 weeks ago

from Chris Carpenter wrote 4 years 47 weeks ago

hell of a guy and sportsman we're pullin for you tred

from dwaynez wrote 4 years 45 weeks ago

Prayers and best wishes are sent his way

from snuffy wrote 4 years 47 weeks ago

from jbird wrote 4 years 47 weeks ago

Our prayers are with you Tred.

from troutrageous1 wrote 4 years 47 weeks ago

from whiteriverguide1 wrote 4 years 47 weeks ago

from Del in KS wrote 4 years 47 weeks ago

He is one heck of a sportsman. Hope he comes out of this OK.

from scottprice wrote 4 years 47 weeks ago

from Keith D wrote 4 years 47 weeks ago

Our prayers are with you Tred!

from dgbroox wrote 4 years 47 weeks ago

The man is full of passion for the outdoors. He is in my prayers.

from fishin fool wrote 4 years 47 weeks ago

GOD be with you brother Tred.

from FloridaHunter1226 wrote 4 years 47 weeks ago

from okiedoug wrote 4 years 47 weeks ago

from peter wrote 4 years 46 weeks ago

from j-johnson17 wrote 4 years 46 weeks ago

from buckhunter wrote 4 years 46 weeks ago

Our prayers are with you Tred.

from Big O wrote 4 years 46 weeks ago

Got this from another poster, I hope this is right.
Send em' a note, prayers.
tred.barta@bartaiso.com

from 007 wrote 4 years 46 weeks ago

Thoughts and prayers go out to him and his family.

from TonyO wrote 4 years 46 weeks ago