Merwin: Camo Rods?

The Lateral Line

July 27, 2009

Merwin: Camo Rods?

By John Merwin

Do we really need camo-pattern fishing rods? I was wondering that this morning while noting that the “best new rod” category at the recent ICAST fishing-trade show was won by a new rod series decked out in a variety of camouflage finishes. It just struck me that making a rod less visible is going to make me more likely to step on it or to shut the rod tip in a car door.

A new rod company out of Texas called USA Custom Rods has produced a series of baitcasting and spinning rods in various camo finishes under license from Mossy Oak. You can choose Break Up, Duck Blind (pictured), or even hot-pink versions intended, I guess, for the ladies on board. The rods are listed at about $140 each.

I know that for many sportsmen, camo-pattern everything is almost a way of life. So there’s camo-pattern underwear, flashlights, cameras, socks and probably even toilet paper. All in addition to more normally camouflaged items such as jackets and hunting pants and waders. Some of this makes sense. Some of it doesn’t.

I suppose a camo-pattern fishing rod might be seen--or not seen, actually--as the ultimate in stealth angling. The rods were at least enough of a novel gimmick to pull lots of votes among ICAST attendees, hence the “best rod” award. But the whole idea still seems--to me, at least--more than a little over the top.

from Koldkut wrote 4 years 37 weeks ago

If I was duck hunting and wanted to toss a catfish line out for a good morning cast and blast, that camo rod would look pretty appealing, not that the ducks would notice it either way.

from johnmerwin wrote 4 years 37 weeks ago

Koldkut, that is a good point. I am not a waterfowler (too busy fishing in the fall), and fishing from a duck blind didn't occur to me. That said, I think there are also some coastal guys who will cast to any redfish that might tail in front of a blind. So maybe the camo isn't such a bad idea. Next up: camo fishing reels?

from apowers1031 wrote 4 years 37 weeks ago

i guess it might help if you are bluegill fishing and they are right up on the bank and you dont want them to see you

from buckhunter wrote 4 years 37 weeks ago

To a degree camo rods are ok. My fly rods have unfinished blanks which are dull. I've always figured the reflection off a shiney rod would scare fish while fishing a gin clear pool. I spoke with a rod manufacturer last week. He said they are beginning to paint the ferrels to break up the length of a rod to make it less noticeable to fish. I don't know.

I've always figured if a fish can see your rod then he can see you so whats the point.

As for the rods pictured above, A duck blind is the only place I can see them.

from streack wrote 4 years 37 weeks ago

Not having a retriever, I have had to use a rod, reel, and original Rapala (F18), to gather ducks and geese in the water. Would I need a camo rod, no, but but they do look pretty cool.

from 2Poppa wrote 4 years 37 weeks ago

Camo Rods?
Don't lay 'em down in the grass,or the Bait Monkey may borrow it!

Just a nice paint job to capture the eyes of the anglers.It's all in the marketing.

Although, Koldkut and buckhunter, probably made the most sense of it ...

from vtbluegrass wrote 4 years 37 weeks ago

I have been known to cast to said redfish or to a trout busting bait from a duck blind. I don't particularly care for the camo rod unless the blank is actually worth the price. Usually if you are fishing from a duck blind a duck will see the movement camo or not. Generally I will not be casting to fish unless the hunting has just been horrific. Basically I find the camo rod concept boring.

from muskiemaster wrote 4 years 37 weeks ago

Well my only question is where is the camo bait or do they not want the fish to see that either. I've seen almost every bait in some customized form so why not a matching bait for the rod. Well were all fishing why don't we just wear are scent-lok or ghillie suits to.

from MLH wrote 4 years 37 weeks ago

I have to laugh ... not because of the ingenious marketing ... but because I still haven't figured out what came over me when I bought a pair of camo drawers. What was I thinking. Not sure a friend ever found the Mossy Oak billfold he lost in the woods.

I agree with buckhunter - would prefer a rod with a dull finish. Ever wonder why fly drying patches on fishing vests are bright white? Finally, seeing some in flat black.

from ggmack wrote 4 years 37 weeks ago

have to say if they had it in APG then i might get it for my father. He is infatuated with APG.

from ranger2 wrote 4 years 37 weeks ago

The camo concept has gone a little over the top. Yeah, the stuff is kind of neat, but it is not always practical. The lost billfold, camo underpants (don't you want to make it EASY for the wife to find)? I think it is mostly unnecesary and often impractical. I laughed about the camo toilet paper comment, John! How would you know when the paperwork was finished?

from kirkdeeter wrote 4 years 37 weeks ago

Several months ago, I went to a certain consumer outdoors expo... and when things got a tad slow, my friend and I spiced things up with a $10 bet on who could spot the person wearing the most camo items in one outfit. Mind you, this was Denver, in the winter, indoors. I lost the bet. The winning ensemble: six items... hat, shirt, belt, pants, boots, watchband, and eyeglass strap. I kid you not.

from RJ Arena wrote 4 years 37 weeks ago

Great! make it even easier for me loose another rod, I thinking of putting a car beeper on my last one....

from micropterus wrote 4 years 37 weeks ago

I manage to step on my non-camo rods, so I can only imagine how bad it would be with one of these. No camo for me.

from shane wrote 4 years 37 weeks ago

This is great, until you strap your gold and chrome reel to it...

from hawg daddy wrote 4 years 37 weeks ago

they need to make a camo reel to go with this rod.

from FloridaHunter1226 wrote 4 years 37 weeks ago

I believe that rods like that are just for style more than they are for practical use. I mean, don't get me wrong I like camo patterns but there is a reason why I dont have a camo light or camo knife... because if I drop it, I don't want to have a 1 hour search trying to look for it. Yeh, camo patterns might "camoflauge" your gear from whatver you are hunting, but they also are "camoflauged" when you drop them on the ground so finding them sometimes is almost impossible.

from johnmerwin wrote 4 years 37 weeks ago

For you guys who thought I was kidding about the camo toilet paper, a Google search turns up lots of sources for same. Here's one: http://www.justtoiletpaper.com/camorollnew.shtml
At about $9 a roll, it's a pretty expensive joke.

from abmcp13 wrote 4 years 37 weeks ago

There is no practical use for having a camo fishing pole. It's all about flashy marketing, the fish don't care what you use. The only reason people would buy this pole is because they think it looks cool, that's it. I wouldn't waste my money on a $140 rod, the $50-60 rods are just fine with me, and catch fish, so I'm happy.

from kbkayakin wrote 4 years 37 weeks ago

They would be great for my spring "Cast & Blast" Turkey Hunting trips. I've spooked turkeys before, fishing. It may have been the movment, but the fact that I had a BRIGHT red fishing rod didn't help.

from Silverfox1 wrote 4 years 36 weeks ago

After 25+ years in the "rod" business and not the "pole" business, it is all about coming out with the thing that nobody has at the moment. At this moment the guys at USA are some clever ones. No rod company from Texas has ever won that award.

from rackxmaster4 wrote 4 years 36 weeks ago

come on boys. we as hunters love camo. Why? It reminds us of the best thing in the world.. HUNTING. seriously how many guys have camo pieces on their truck or camo phone cases. Its just another camo accessory. mayb just a lil more expensive

from chadian wrote 4 years 36 weeks ago

capture your moment in history with the enduring leagacy of art. chad lavin studio. www.lavinstudio.com

from Koldkut wrote 4 years 37 weeks ago

from buckhunter wrote 4 years 37 weeks ago

As for the rods pictured above, A duck blind is the only place I can see them.

from ranger2 wrote 4 years 37 weeks ago

from kirkdeeter wrote 4 years 37 weeks ago

from chadian wrote 4 years 36 weeks ago

from johnmerwin wrote 4 years 37 weeks ago

from apowers1031 wrote 4 years 37 weeks ago

from streack wrote 4 years 37 weeks ago

from 2Poppa wrote 4 years 37 weeks ago

Camo Rods?
Don't lay 'em down in the grass,or the Bait Monkey may borrow it!

Although, Koldkut and buckhunter, probably made the most sense of it ...

from vtbluegrass wrote 4 years 37 weeks ago

from muskiemaster wrote 4 years 37 weeks ago

from MLH wrote 4 years 37 weeks ago

from ggmack wrote 4 years 37 weeks ago

from RJ Arena wrote 4 years 37 weeks ago

from micropterus wrote 4 years 37 weeks ago

from shane wrote 4 years 37 weeks ago

This is great, until you strap your gold and chrome reel to it...

from hawg daddy wrote 4 years 37 weeks ago

they need to make a camo reel to go with this rod.

from FloridaHunter1226 wrote 4 years 37 weeks ago

from johnmerwin wrote 4 years 37 weeks ago

At about $9 a roll, it's a pretty expensive joke.

from abmcp13 wrote 4 years 37 weeks ago