Cermele's Finest Failures: A Hook Shots Christmas Special

The Lateral Line

December 17, 2009

Cermele's Finest Failures: A Hook Shots Christmas Special

By Joe Cermele

Fish don't care one lick that you've set a day (or three) aside to film an episode of a web fishing show. I've learned much about this since I started putting "Hook Shots" together back in the spring. I'll come clean: for every episode you've seen this season, I've had at least two misses in between. So for the final episode of 2009, I thought I'd go out on a humble note and show you some of the intended Hook Shots that just never came to pass. Hopefully, you'll get a laugh or two.

Now there are many factors that can kill a day of filming. Weather is a biggie, followed closely by lack of fish. As a general rule, I need to land at least three of the target species to make it work. Then there are superstition factors. As an example, I won't name names, but there are a few people who have convinced me they are utterly hopeless Hook Shots jinxes. Put them and a camera on any body of water, and suddenly that water is void of fish.

In any case, I've had a ton of fun putting Hook Shots together this year, and I can't thank all of you enough for tuning (or clicking) in to watch. I'll be back with Season II shortly after the New Year. I'm thinking either a hard-water show, or maybe I can weasel a trip to some place warm. "Welcome to Hook Shots. Today I'm in Costa Rica." Yeah, that sounds nice. -- JC

from earlyriser81 wrote 4 years 17 weeks ago

I think you should include more of these scenes in your program. It is good to see the pros struggle here and there. And to be truthful it is entertaining.

from IowaGuy wrote 4 years 17 weeks ago

I enjoyed it, makes it much more realistic! Fishing is meant to be fun and enjoyable. yes, catching 50 crappies in a couple of hours or a 10lb walleye make for special memories but so does hanging out for a day in the boat with friends, snagging your friends drink and spilling it all over.

from buckhunter wrote 4 years 17 weeks ago

You know what they say about a bad days fishing.

from Rick wrote 4 years 17 weeks ago

jinx?

from Fish_Eye wrote 4 years 16 weeks ago

A trip to Costa Rica...that sounds good. Check me out on FB and the trailer for my new DVD. Merry Christmas Joe.

Mike

from Long Run Fishin... wrote 4 years 16 weeks ago

JC
Always good to see a Bloopers piece as Lord knows there are so many variables when it comes to planning a trip. How is the weather? The Moon Stage? High Tide or Low Tide? Bait around? Storm coming? etc..LOL...yeah, so much for a relaxing day on the water and couple that with the pressure of being on camera.

ps. We're waiting for Hooks Shots Bloopers of the Wedding and Honeymoon...Kind of gives a whole new meaning to "Spooning"..

from Kirk Everett wrote 4 years 14 weeks ago

Any fishing trip with the Trenton Makes Bridge in the background is my kind of story! Strong work Joe!

from earlyriser81 wrote 4 years 17 weeks ago

from IowaGuy wrote 4 years 17 weeks ago

from buckhunter wrote 4 years 17 weeks ago

You know what they say about a bad days fishing.

from Rick wrote 4 years 17 weeks ago