Cermele: Brutal Shark Attack "Tweeted" in Real Time

The Lateral Line

January 14, 2010

Cermele: Brutal Shark Attack "Tweeted" in Real Time

By Joe Cermele

Not too long ago, Mr. Merwin posted a blog about the boom in on-line social media, particularly the micro-blogging site Twitter, and how it relates to anglers. John is not a "tweeter," and (at the moment) neither am I, though I have been sucked into the black hole that is Facebook. Twitter basically allows you to track what your friends are doing 24-7, and that can range from drinking a beer on the couch to watching a man get ripped apart by a great white.

Here's a quote from the story on the Sky News website:

Gregg Coppen watched as Lloyd Skinner was savaged in Cape Town, South Africa, on Tuesday (local time) tweeting: "Holy s**t. We just saw a gigantic shark eat what looked like a person in front of our house..."

He added: "That shark was huge. Like dinosaur huge."

Mr. Coppen witnessed the attack from his home near Fish Hoek beach during the height of the country's tourist season.

Now not for nothing, but tweeting as you watch this is kinda messed up in my opinion. But it does drive the point home that social media has infected us, and what could have taken a day to reach local newspapers was spread globally before whitey took his last bite.

Where I do see some merit with Twitter is following real-time fishing reports. Even reports posted on the Internet have a delay, but tweets from the beach or river can tell you how the salmon or stripers are running that instant.  It's not bad info to have if you want to, say, fake sick and sneak out of work early to hit the water - JC

from Mike Diehl wrote 4 years 13 weeks ago

"I don't care what planet you're from, that's GOTTA hurt!"

from Mike Diehl wrote 4 years 13 weeks ago

To topic. I don't use Twitter because I've no interest in the lives of the twits who use it. Too much information about nothing. But if I did, I'd want someone to tell me if a man eating shark was swimming around, so that I could stay out of the water (or get a bigger boat).

from steve182 wrote 4 years 13 weeks ago

I don't and won't Twit. All i can hope for is that a buddy will send me a text saying "the bite is on" or "stay outa the water". Hopefully if i meet a similar fate as this guy, it won't end up on the "net"

from dukkillr wrote 4 years 13 weeks ago

Texting is SO much better than tweeting, in my innocent, unbiased, all-American teenager perspective...

=P

from idduckhntr wrote 4 years 13 weeks ago

Well said Mike, I have no use for twitter myself and drive me nuts when people text each other if you want to talk to somebody call them on the phone or go to thier house. By the way what would you use for bait on shark that big hslf of a beef?

from Mike Diehl wrote 4 years 13 weeks ago

I wouldn't even try to catch a shark that big, Idduckhntr, unless I owned a Secretary class cutter from which to roll depth charges onto it.

But I suppose if I fished for sharks and specifically wanted to catch a great white, I'd use a live seal for bait. ;)

from Happy Myles wrote 4 years 13 weeks ago

What is Twitter?
I really am old

from buckhunter wrote 4 years 13 weeks ago

It's funny how different things are now a days. I was playing basketball with a bunch of young guys last night and between every game they'd sit on the bench and text or tweet the girlfriends. Then during the game the bench would beep or vibrate or play music as they were receiving texts or tweets. Being the elder I gave a lecture on how rude it was to ignore the people you are with to talk to someone who wasn't even there. I'm sure that went over their heads as well.

from seadog wrote 4 years 13 weeks ago

By the time I get an urge to try twitter, it will be obsolete. I like texting--I have a hands free option--all I do is say text your brother & tell him to get his butt home. The brother to brother feature automatically lets him know if I'm pissed off at him or just want him home.

from dukkillr wrote 4 years 13 weeks ago

Well said, Mike! I think they SHOULD legalize the use of live seals as bait!

Myles - You serious? Or just being facetious?

from vtbasser wrote 4 years 13 weeks ago

I don’t see anything wrong with twitter, I use it and it’s kinda neat to pick up some fishing tips and info from around the country. As far as tweeting about someone being eaten I don’t know, it seems it might have made more sense for the guy to call 911 and get out there and help instead of just commenting on it.

from alabamaoutlaw wrote 4 years 13 weeks ago

Ya.i'm not into the twitteror even the texting,people send me text and i just hand the phone to my wife.For surely if they know me,they know to just call me.I don't mind technology just have my limited needs.As for the shark i'll agree with a 911 call for Gods sake it would at least warn the immediate area of the threat.I have a great disdain for the shark,they are a constant threat to the fish i,m trying to bring to the boat.But i have been trying to learn enough to cook them properly at least make them palatable.The strong ammonia smell is quite disconcerting,to anyone who has yet to have one beside the boat they are a worthy opponent with hook and line,even after being put in the boat.

from hengst wrote 4 years 13 weeks ago

Like I am gonna be sitting on top of a hot bite to tweet some twit no way. Besides my Soldiers make fun of me because of my slow texting capabilities (old eyes small phone) Yes the military is rampant with tweeting texting and all of that. If some of these younguns could get away with it they would text tweet a friggin IED blast real time...Times have changed

from Beekeeper wrote 4 years 13 weeks ago

What disturbes me is that his first response was to "Tweet" and not to call 911 (or what ever they have in S. Africa)or try an render help. Face it folks we live in a completely self absorbed world...

from blackdawgz wrote 4 years 13 weeks ago

I'd like to light the fuse on a stick of dynamite and drop it into that open mouth.

from Mike Diehl wrote 4 years 13 weeks ago

I heard that a bottle of compressed air in the mouth of a huge great white and remotely detonated does the job well.

from seadog wrote 4 years 13 weeks ago

Mike D, how many times have you seen that movie? You're always so quick with a "Jaws" reference. lol

from alabamaoutlaw wrote 4 years 13 weeks ago

I was in a fishing party tied to a shrimp boat and hooke a big tiger over twelve feet ,after over two hours it was brought to the boat .It took five shots with a 44 mag. to still the beast.We donated the shark to the Marine biology students at the fishing rodeo,they were excited to have such a specimen.

from Mike Diehl wrote 4 years 13 weeks ago

Lost count, Seadog. Not all that many unless you count every other version of "Moby Dick" I've seen. It's just that I rarely forget things. The result is I have a head full of things mostly worth forgetting about. ;)

But you had to love Robert Shaw and Richard Dreyfuss in that movie. They were both comically over the top in their own ways.

from JohnR wrote 4 years 13 weeks ago

I remember being called a "twit" was not a good thing so, if one is a "twit-ter" duh!

from fisherman14 wrote 4 years 11 weeks ago

You'd have to be a complete idiot to "tweet" an attack rather than actualy try to get help! Ha, well thats the world we live in...

from Jacob A. Craig wrote 4 years 8 weeks ago

Twitter is just another thing for people with absolutely no lives to get involved with but that is the way things are now days. Most new products have come about for the lazy and unmotivated, always something to make things easier or to have to get up off the couch one less time a day. just ridiculous

from Scout79 wrote 1 year 7 weeks ago

I just don't get twitter at all! I've gone to some twitter feeds and I've tried to read them and understand what's going on, but I just don't. What's a hashtag? It just seems really boring to me. I don't care about what people are doing at any given minute of the day. Mostly I find it irritating there are so many people who are so self-important to believe people actually CARE what they do minute by minute. What's worse is all these celebrities who get fatally offended by a "tweet" (jeez) and promptly get into a "twitter war"! GAG!! How lame can you get? I feel the true secrete power of social media is to turn full grown men and women back into bickering, sniveling, 14 year olds.

from Mike Diehl wrote 4 years 13 weeks ago

from buckhunter wrote 4 years 13 weeks ago

from Happy Myles wrote 4 years 13 weeks ago

What is Twitter?
I really am old

from Beekeeper wrote 4 years 13 weeks ago

from Mike Diehl wrote 4 years 13 weeks ago

from seadog wrote 4 years 13 weeks ago

from dukkillr wrote 4 years 13 weeks ago

Well said, Mike! I think they SHOULD legalize the use of live seals as bait!

Myles - You serious? Or just being facetious?

from vtbasser wrote 4 years 13 weeks ago

from alabamaoutlaw wrote 4 years 13 weeks ago

from seadog wrote 4 years 13 weeks ago

from Mike Diehl wrote 4 years 13 weeks ago

"I don't care what planet you're from, that's GOTTA hurt!"

from steve182 wrote 4 years 13 weeks ago