Cermele: The Quickest Way to Lose Your Rod?

The Lateral Line

January 19, 2009

Cermele: The Quickest Way to Lose Your Rod?

By Joe Cermele

Camo Rods

I had blogged while away at the SHOT Show that there was not a rod or lure in sight. I was wrong. At the time, I hadn't yet run across the booth that makes everything from toaster ovens to unicycles to hamster wheels in your favorite Mossy Oak camo pattern. It was at said booth that I found the camo-covered rods pictured at left. "Novely, novelty, novelty," I thought. But then I was approached by Dennis Ball, who makes these rods and sells them at usacustomrods.com.

Dennis explained that the idea came about when he got requests to build rods with a matte finish that wouldn't glint in the sunlight. He built them, and they became pretty popular among cast-and-blasters who would spend mornings duck hunting and afternoons chasing trout and redfish. According to Dennis, inbound ducks can catch sight of the glare on rods laying next to a blind and will bail out. He figured if the plain matte finish worked, why not make them camo? He also told me that guides in certain Canadian lakes that are crystal clear love them. He noted that these same guides request that their clients where nothing bright or shiny on board, as the fish can spot them.

Finally, because the camo pattern gets on the rods via dipping, they're completely sealed and will not corrode. So I'll tell you what: I'm not going to say if I buy all this or not. I'll chime in on comments later. You tell me if this is genius or gimmick. I will say that my biggest concern would be that I'd lay the rod down to take a leak and never find it again.

JC

from alabamahunter wrote 5 years 13 weeks ago

My first thought when seeing the picture was "why the hell?" After reading that about the Lousiana duck hunters it all made perfect sense. I truly thought it was just another gimmick meant to make a quick buck, but birds have an extremely accute sense sight that goes far beyond our field of vision. Just ask turkey hunters, anything out of place or oddly colored will turn a bird quicker than Jack Bower can kick a commi in the crotch.

Downside is that you might set it down and step on it, but remember you would still have the reel attached, so it shouldn't be to hard to find.

from troutrageous1 wrote 5 years 13 weeks ago

Mossy Oak camo rods, sure why not? If that's what gives you confidence, go get 'em.

What I really need are some rods in "garage camo" color. That way I can hang all the new rods I just bought ($$$) on my garage wall & my wife won't be able to see them.

from Alex Pernice th... wrote 5 years 13 weeks ago

There is another way to lose a rod faster than that, Joe,
Give it to you! (Just kidding)

from Joe_Cermele wrote 5 years 13 weeks ago

Alex...what are you trying to say, dude?

Trout...garage camo? I like it. I got the button by the way. Just haven't figured out how to work it in yet. As I didn't know it was so big, I think I might buy a thick gold chain and where it like Flava Flav.

from YooperRyan wrote 5 years 13 weeks ago

There might be something to it for the duck hunter, but when you consider how much glare comes off the water and any number of other random objects you'd think that what little bit of flash comes off a fishing rod would be would be somewhat inconsequential so in my opinion it's probably just a mental thing but I agree with Troutrageous (killer name dude) So if it does something for your confidence then why the heck not. So long as the price is within reason. By the way what do they run for? Price is always a factor, especially in these tough economic times, and doubly so when you're considering something that is just inviting you to loose it at every chance. Then again, I'll bet there are some guys out there that harbor serious insecurities about how much there rod does or doesn't get noticed, and for these guys price will not be an option.

As for the so called "fishing guides" who recommend not wearing excessive bling when fishing gin clear waters...I'd be interested to hear their explanation for the success of the countless anglers who've had the pleasure of fishing from almost any bass boat made in the past quarter century. You know the type, with the sparkle paint job that has more glitter than a barbie-themed birthday party.

All joking aside, there may be a fraction more truth to the "guides" claim. However, the smart angler is the one who takes note of his/her position relative to the sun when approaching fish in these types of situations. With the sun at your back you will benefit from improved visibility for sighting fish but at the cost of throwing a more pronounced profile from a fish-eye-view. You can usually get away with it if you stay low, move slow, and are quartering up stream.

Definitely leaning more towards gimmick on this one.

from vtbluegrass wrote 5 years 13 weeks ago

Having blast and cast thru several hunts earlier in the season here in NC this gets a big "are you serious?". Rods general stay in the box or when in my jonboat laid down behind the fast grass. A rod in the vertical position where a duck could see it is succeptable to swinging shotguns and falling birds. But what the heck, I should be the last to say anything about something being camoflage; I am the guy who bought a realtree wallet and actually have camo socks.

from jcarlin wrote 5 years 13 weeks ago

I'm not sure I'd pay extra for it, but then again I had a light colored rod a few years back that I was using for small stream trout. I could tell that they were seeing the rod flick and spooking even when I was up against mountain laurel on the bank. Yes, I do wear camo for skinny water trout. I broke it up with some dark green bands and I thought it made a big difference. Of course, the trout could have just been hungrier those days.

from Joe_Cermele wrote 5 years 13 weeks ago

Okay, I'll say my piece. If ducks can see that well, keep the rods in the blind or covered in the boat. However, I do know that in Texas where these rod originated, they don't use blinds. You're out in the open, and Dennis explained that sometimes you make a few casts between flocks coming in. Mossy Oak reels are in the works, too.

I will say I like the non-corrosive factor very much. For my purposes I'd sooner buy a dipped rod for that than the non-glare aspect. So you all know, these are actually very good rods and start at $135.

from Charley wrote 5 years 13 weeks ago

Mostly sounds like gimmick to mr, except fishing the crystal clear beaver ponds with spooky browns. I alady don the camos and belly crawl in.

from Tim Platt wrote 5 years 13 weeks ago

Fish can see you. They can see your rod if the sun gleams off of it. I have been known to wear camo face masks while fishing... haven't done the belly crawl yet but judging from the size of Charlie's fish I may have to start!

from streack wrote 5 years 13 weeks ago

I could really use one of these. One of the ponds that I hunt ducks and geese over is too deep to wade in and with no boat access or dog, I need to cast a floating Rapala in order to retrieve downed birds. I don't know if my Ugly Stik has ever caused birds to flare it seems like a good reason for me to help stimulate the economy.

from dwaynez wrote 5 years 12 weeks ago

It's another innovation that was sure to come along at some point. This was designed to aid duck hunters, but it can be utilized by anyone who is a fan of cammo patterns.

from DennisJBall wrote 5 years 12 weeks ago

Just taking a moment to say thanks for all of the comments and thanks to Joe for the article . Every edge in fishing is an advantage . While camo may not be for everyone in fishing , we have discovered as mentioned that clear and smaller waters are more challenging than wide open areas . Here , anything dark camo would be more stealthy .

Also consider that magical bass spawn period too where sight casting becomes the method of choice and well , you get the picture.

Fly Rods , Casting Rods Spinning Rods and Offshore Gear all fit the bill for our styles of North American fishing and all have a place in our rod lineups and they are all more abrasion corrosion and UV resitant than any other rods in our history .

Though not designed for being stealthy , the ladies will be happy to know that Pink Camo Rods in three models will be introduced in April this year . They Look Fantastic !

So the next time your headed out to your favorite fishing spot consider USA Custom Rods and Mossy Oak " On the Water "

from troutrageous1 wrote 5 years 13 weeks ago

from Alex Pernice th... wrote 5 years 13 weeks ago

There is another way to lose a rod faster than that, Joe,
Give it to you! (Just kidding)

from YooperRyan wrote 5 years 13 weeks ago

Definitely leaning more towards gimmick on this one.

from alabamahunter wrote 5 years 13 weeks ago

from Joe_Cermele wrote 5 years 13 weeks ago

Alex...what are you trying to say, dude?

from vtbluegrass wrote 5 years 13 weeks ago