Cermele: Talking Trash

The Lateral Line

January 27, 2009

Cermele: Talking Trash

By Joe Cermele

Dogfish Flag

While surfing the web the other day, I stumbled across a bit of pure genius. Operating under the slogan "Looks Like Crap, Tastes Like Chicken" is a new website called Garbagefish.com. What you'll find is a site dedicated to catching, cooking, and being generally unashamed of chasing species like dogfish, skate, and sea robins...a.k.a. "trash fish." They're even selling catch flags with these species emblazoned upon them.

Here's a quote from their site: "Tired of seeing that 52' sportfisher pull into his slip, flying a quiver of brag flags? You know the ones, the yellowfin tuna flag, the mahi flag, the white marlin flag, etc. Well we don't catch those fish, so we don't make those flags!"

I can really get behind this effort, because truthfully, your Joe-average weekend angler doesn't catch any of those fish either, but damn if he doesn't reel in loads of dogfish on the $3 eels he's dropping for stripers. I would proudly fly a garbage fish flag on my boat. I catch more than my share.

The site is in fledgling stages, so info and photos are lacking a bit, but I do think this site needs to branch out into sweetwater. What fish would have to be on their stickers for you to slap one on your truck? It's suckers and creek chubs for me, but I bet you've got other ideas.

JC

from Charley wrote 5 years 11 weeks ago

Carp- my kids love fighting in 6 to 10 pound carp.
Suckers
Chubs- One of the funnest evenings fishing was when my fishing buddy and I couldn't get the trout to bite- so we went after the chubs and caught a bucket- ful.

from wandering owl wrote 5 years 11 weeks ago

Carp, suckers and creek shubs for me, also. There's nothing wrong with getting a look at what else is in the water. Canned carp can taste like canned salmon with the right ingredients. And redhorse sucker simmered in a tomato sauce over the campfire. Not shabby. I like their emblem as is. Need to check out the site.

from Northern Coyote wrote 5 years 11 weeks ago

sheepshead,chubs, carp, burbot & bowfin and of course the local favorite, suckers

from Douglas wrote 5 years 11 weeks ago

Bowfins. A nasty fresh water line buster with jelly - like grey flesh.
I'm with you, Northern Coyote

from jcarlin wrote 5 years 11 weeks ago

I have but one question. Does anyone know where to find a suitable mast for a 12' starcraft aluminum V?

from Joe_Cermele wrote 5 years 11 weeks ago

Mast? Just fly one off a rod in the holder.

from EricAichele wrote 5 years 11 weeks ago

skate has been showing up on a lot of fancy eateries in the city. not cheap either.

from Joe_Cermele wrote 5 years 11 weeks ago

Eric, I'll give you all the skate you want. You clean it.

from Alex Pernice th... wrote 5 years 11 weeks ago

Carp, suckers, Spikes (Quillback carp)(flys only for spikes), and the best muskie bait around here, Creek chub (12 inchers are common in a stream by me.)

from Alex Pernice th... wrote 5 years 11 weeks ago

O and sheepshead (Whole or cutbait for BIG Flatheads.)

from Alex Pernice th... wrote 5 years 11 weeks ago

Cermele, you ever fly fished for Chub? They slam dry fly patterns with a vengeance.

from woofbarkenarf wrote 5 years 11 weeks ago

Hah! I would like a Crawfish flag for my johnboat!

from teebox25 wrote 5 years 11 weeks ago

I like the flag logo as is...cool site too

from Joe_Cermele wrote 5 years 11 weeks ago

Alex,

I've caught plenty of chubs on dries...and yeah they slam it, and each time my heart jumps because I think it's a fatty 'bow or brown and I end up sadly disappointed.

from dwaynez wrote 5 years 11 weeks ago

I love going after carp with light tackle, these fish put up on heck of a fight. Good way to test your drag on any reel.

Another fish people consider a trash fish that I target for the table is the Gaspergoo (fresh water drum) they are great fighters and can be taken on live bait, dead bait, or artificial lures. They put up a great fight on bass tackle. The meat is firm and is really good on the grill, it holds up well and has a good taste.

from Alex Pernice th... wrote 5 years 11 weeks ago

Yea Joe, i've had that feeling too, except instead of a Big Brown, im thinking of a big carp.

from buckhunter wrote 5 years 11 weeks ago

Carp are called "bronze rockets" in Ohio. I'd be proud to fly that flag anyday.

from dwaynez wrote 5 years 11 weeks ago

Nice to see there is a site dedicated to fish that others just discard as trash fish, carp, buffalo, gaspergoo, gar, shad, etc. These fish are hard fighters and sometimes difficult to catch.

from jcarlin wrote 5 years 11 weeks ago

JC
That's why you're a sportsman writer and I'm a guy wondering why I'm stuck in this office.

from Joe_Cermele wrote 5 years 11 weeks ago

I'm stuck in an office too...it's not all fun all time. But no more talk about masts. There's no room for blow-boating on this blog! All wind jockeys do is get in my way.

from jcarlin wrote 5 years 11 weeks ago

I never doubted that.

from chadlove wrote 5 years 11 weeks ago

I would gladly sport a garbagefish decal on my truck rear window. Best fish of any kind I've caught in the past two years was a monster drum that hit a 5-inch Tikki-Stick I was throwing along some riprap in a local lake. Damn thing nearly spooled me. It was a blast.
I don't care if it's a trash species or not, any fish that's that fun to catch is OK in my book.

from TheEasternShore... wrote 5 years 11 weeks ago

I have fished a farm pond with pen raised ducks in them and some of the ducks went after my minnow very cool experience.

from Rick wrote 5 years 11 weeks ago

sailcats down south. big catfish with longer spike dorsal fins that you can see cruising around when you get them up to the surface. they fight pretty good. I think they'd make for a cool flag logo with the dorsal. Not fun to unhook though.

from YooperRyan wrote 5 years 11 weeks ago

I like the idea, any chance they could make one with a skunk on it? I'm sad to report it would've come in handy after my last outing.

Hey, even Jordan had an off day every now and again.

from Joe_Cermele wrote 5 years 11 weeks ago

Yooper...skunk flags are readily available my friend.

from frontboards_to_... wrote 5 years 11 weeks ago

I think that a flag with a tree and some bushes would go quite nicely hung up in my room, i can always get those

from Del in KS wrote 5 years 11 weeks ago

Burbot are called poor mans Lobster in AK for a good reason. They are delicious and taste much like lobster.

from dwaynez wrote 5 years 11 weeks ago

Recently I have been taking my nephew fishing each and every weekend, his parents don't fish very often so he loves to stay at my house because he knows he will go fishing.

His largest fish to this point was a 7lb gaspergoo he caught on a new rod and reel combo i got him. That rod was bent over and he could not stop smiling for hours after that fight.

Any fish that brings that much enjoyment to a young angler and to me for being there with him to enjoy that moment gets respect in my book. That single hookup has him hooked on fishing.

from VT Outdoorsman wrote 5 years 9 weeks ago

Its all about the dogfish flag for me.

from woofbarkenarf wrote 5 years 11 weeks ago

Hah! I would like a Crawfish flag for my johnboat!

from chadlove wrote 5 years 11 weeks ago

from Charley wrote 5 years 11 weeks ago

Carp- my kids love fighting in 6 to 10 pound carp.
Suckers

from wandering owl wrote 5 years 11 weeks ago

from Joe_Cermele wrote 5 years 11 weeks ago

Eric, I'll give you all the skate you want. You clean it.

from Alex Pernice th... wrote 5 years 11 weeks ago

from Alex Pernice th... wrote 5 years 11 weeks ago

O and sheepshead (Whole or cutbait for BIG Flatheads.)

from Alex Pernice th... wrote 5 years 11 weeks ago

from Alex Pernice th... wrote 5 years 11 weeks ago

from TheEasternShore... wrote 5 years 11 weeks ago

from Northern Coyote wrote 5 years 11 weeks ago

from Douglas wrote 5 years 11 weeks ago

Bowfins. A nasty fresh water line buster with jelly - like grey flesh.
I'm with you, Northern Coyote

from jcarlin wrote 5 years 11 weeks ago

from Joe_Cermele wrote 5 years 11 weeks ago

Mast? Just fly one off a rod in the holder.

from EricAichele wrote 5 years 11 weeks ago

from teebox25 wrote 5 years 11 weeks ago

I like the flag logo as is...cool site too

from Joe_Cermele wrote 5 years 11 weeks ago

Alex,

from dwaynez wrote 5 years 11 weeks ago

from buckhunter wrote 5 years 11 weeks ago

Carp are called "bronze rockets" in Ohio. I'd be proud to fly that flag anyday.

from dwaynez wrote 5 years 11 weeks ago

from jcarlin wrote 5 years 11 weeks ago

JC

from Joe_Cermele wrote 5 years 11 weeks ago

from jcarlin wrote 5 years 11 weeks ago

I never doubted that.

from Rick wrote 5 years 11 weeks ago

from YooperRyan wrote 5 years 11 weeks ago

Hey, even Jordan had an off day every now and again.

from Joe_Cermele wrote 5 years 11 weeks ago

Yooper...skunk flags are readily available my friend.

from frontboards_to_... wrote 5 years 11 weeks ago

from Del in KS wrote 5 years 11 weeks ago

from dwaynez wrote 5 years 11 weeks ago

from VT Outdoorsman wrote 5 years 9 weeks ago

Its all about the dogfish flag for me.