Tip of the Day: Add Scent Cheap with Cod Liver Oil

Field Notes

February 10, 2009

Tip of the Day: Add Scent Cheap with Cod Liver Oil

By Jerome B. Robinson

Fish are visually attracted to flashy lures but also depend on their highly developed sense of taste to identify edible foods. If fish swirl at your lure but don't bite, try dunking the lure in a container of cod liver oil (inexpensive, and available at pharmacies). The oil will make your lure seem "tasty" to the fish and, as it spreads through the water where you are casting, will attract hungry fish. -- Jerome B. Robinson

from Jim in Mo wrote 5 years 9 weeks ago

Is it cheaper than Anise oil (a baking product). I hope so cause that stuffs expensive, but it works.

from TheEasternShore... wrote 5 years 9 weeks ago

I have heard someone on this website say to drill a hole in a Zara spook and fill it with this stuff then seal it.

from t_holinka wrote 5 years 9 weeks ago

Does that really work. I have never heard of that. but I know ansie oil works well for coverup scent. It may be more expensive, but it lasts forever. I had a doe sniff the bottom rung of my ladder stand the first time I used it. Now I'm hooked

from Douglas wrote 5 years 9 weeks ago

Great idea! I have caught pike thru the ice using dressed smelt from the grocery store because they were oily and had "fragrance".

from MLH wrote 5 years 9 weeks ago

Ever try WD-40?

from MLH wrote 5 years 9 weeks ago

By the way, I don't recommend WD-40 because of the petroleum slick that goes with it. I just know of people that use it.

from dwaynez wrote 5 years 9 weeks ago

I will have to give that a try, anise oil as mentioned above really works, but the cost is not worth it.

from Jim in Mo wrote 5 years 9 weeks ago

MLH,
Your correct, you shouldn't use WD-40, it's a pollutant and in Mo. you'll get busted for it, but it does work.

t_holinka,
yep anise does work, if cod liver oil is cheaper I'll try that.

from Jim in Mo wrote 5 years 9 weeks ago

dwaynez,
Your comment about anise being cost prohibitive is true, but what I started doing last year is to go to the pharmacy and buy a syringe (like diabetics use) and squirt proper amount on my bait. It's not as wasteful that way.

from koeka wrote 5 years 9 weeks ago

ZARA SPOOK for Striped Bass/Blue Fish.
Old timer gave me this awesome tip, drill a BB size hole about 1/4" or a bit more behind the eyes directly along the spine.

Put a tsp of cod liver oil and seal with silicone.(just enough for it to float with the head bobbing upward)

In the surf this extra weight will scream the lure an extra 30 yrds (more if you use braided line)and the stripers/blues smash em

from Ye ole Coaste wrote 5 years 6 weeks ago

Uall nailed an old secret used when I was a kiddo!! Today I add one more ingrediant my g/son sugested(glitter-silver or gold color) NO I'm not kidding it looks like fish scales in the water and trickles down ever so slowly.almost makes me waan jump in and bite the dang thing myself. Outstanding work Carry ON!!! YOC

from Del in KS wrote 5 years 6 weeks ago

I new bears love Anise but fish??? Might have to try that.

from Mark Darrow wrote 4 years 7 weeks ago

This is field note.You know how every year,you have one more tipup without a flag? Take one of your old hunting or fishing licences,place it as a flag,it is water proof,brite colored&it has your name on it. Mark Darrow,Cadillac Mi.

from t_holinka wrote 5 years 9 weeks ago

from Jim in Mo wrote 5 years 9 weeks ago

from TheEasternShore... wrote 5 years 9 weeks ago

from Douglas wrote 5 years 9 weeks ago

from MLH wrote 5 years 9 weeks ago

Ever try WD-40?

from MLH wrote 5 years 9 weeks ago

from dwaynez wrote 5 years 9 weeks ago

from Jim in Mo wrote 5 years 9 weeks ago

MLH,

t_holinka,
yep anise does work, if cod liver oil is cheaper I'll try that.

from Jim in Mo wrote 5 years 9 weeks ago

dwaynez,

from koeka wrote 5 years 9 weeks ago

ZARA SPOOK for Striped Bass/Blue Fish.

from Ye ole Coaste wrote 5 years 6 weeks ago

from Del in KS wrote 5 years 6 weeks ago

I new bears love Anise but fish??? Might have to try that.

from Mark Darrow wrote 4 years 7 weeks ago