Cermele: Where Fishing and Romance Meet

The Lateral Line

March 24, 2009

Cermele: Where Fishing and Romance Meet

By Joe Cermele

Here's proof that anything goes on the Internet these days. Cupidfish.com is a straight-up dating site for those looking to connect with outdoorsmen and women. Initially I thought, "hey, not a bad idea."

But if you're looking for love, you'll have plenty of competition. There are just over 1,200 registered dudes on the site and 57 ladies. That's 22 guys for every girl. Only 9 of the women have a photo posted with their profile...some of which get at least an NC-17 rating. I also found a profile from a lady that wrote she is "just trying to figure out why my husband got an email update from this site." Oops! Sucks to be you, man!

All kidding aside, this site sparks a question: Does your wife/girlfriend/fiancee fish as passionatley as you do? And if not, do you want her to? My fiancee enjoys fishing on the boat or surf a couple times in the summer when we leave the dock at 9 or so, because lulls in the action mean getting a tan. But as far as getting up at 4 a.m. in the cold fall, no way. Frankly, I'm cool with that. Fishing is my thing, and she has her hobbies.

And honey, if you're reading this, I was checking out that site for pure research purposes.

JC

from KingFisher907 wrote 5 years 3 weeks ago

Good save JC!

I created a monster when I taught my wife to fly-fish...she took to it with gusto and now its nip and tuck as to who is the better fisher...to her credit, when she does manage to out-fish me, she gives me that sweet smile and says: '"aww hon, its because I have an awesome teacher..."

I love that woman!

from Alex Pernice th... wrote 5 years 3 weeks ago

Ha! Cermele, why would you want her to fish with you? You're nuts, I'd never take my Girl friend fishing with me (She just doesn't like fishing.) Plus, fishing is an excuse for us guys to get away from the girls and drink a few beers or something. Now don't get me wrong, I'm not sayin' that girls shouldn't fish, they can do that if they want, and I would fish with my wife or something, (When I get married) but I'm one of those guys that likes to fly fish alone and not have to deal with anyone else, and that is not easy.

from MLH wrote 5 years 3 weeks ago

Cermele, you're a lucky man. You, too, FinkFisher.

from KingFisher907 wrote 5 years 3 weeks ago

dont be jealous, MLH, Im sure theres a guy out there for you...

from agingery wrote 5 years 3 weeks ago

Anybody else think this is the internet equivalent of a truck stop? You can hope all you want for the girl of your dreams to come walking through the door here, but the likelihood is far greater for a guy who hasn't showered in a few days who just wants his tool adjusted to show up instead.

from vtbluegrass wrote 5 years 3 weeks ago

Baaaadd idea. The way a large majority of women get into hunting and fishing is having a boyfriend or husband. Even though I hope against hope I have never met an unspoken-for woman while fishing or hunting. I am pretty sure single women who hunt and fish on their own(not with dad or significant other) under 35yrs old are mythical creatures. You read about them, but until I see one in person they are just figments of my imagination.

from FloridaHunter1226 wrote 5 years 3 weeks ago

To me, I do not want to take my girlfriend hunting or fishing. Although I would like to show her what I do and how much fun it is and how beautiful it is... Hunting and Fishing is kind of my thing. It is a time where I can relax and not have to worry about what is going on back home or anything like that. When I am there, it is me and the outdoors, nothing else. Maybe a couple of buddies to bring on some fun... but I am not sure if I would want my girlfriend interfeering with that. It also gives me an excuse to get away. (no offense to any women)

from jcarlin wrote 5 years 3 weeks ago

My wife used to fish with me occassionally, but now that we have 3 young kids the two of us getting out at the same time to do anything without them is rare. She never chooses to spend her alone time fishing or hunting just like I've never gone for a pedicure. My 11 year old daughter wasn't on the majority of my fishing days last year, but she was probably on more of them than anyone else. I would like it if my wife could find some time to get out on the lake with me once in a while. We still sneak in short hikes when we can. Everytime some guy goes by with his lady sunning in the bow I tell my buddy that I'm trading him in for a new fishing partner.

from shane wrote 5 years 3 weeks ago

I find my girlfriend asking me to go fishing more often than I even think about fishing. This is not a bad thing.

from 2Poppa wrote 5 years 3 weeks ago

I stopped trying to take my wife huntin' or fishin'!

The first time I took her huntin' was when we were dating, I heard a sound under my tree stand and asked what she was doing?
"I'm just peeing," came her reply.

I climbed down out of the tree, trying to avoid her small pool of pee, and decided to go to another section of the woods. As we were sitting against a large oak tree, my thoughts turned to romance and kissing her. After all, we were about to be married!

Just as I was about to lean in the direction of her lips, she asked me a question I'll never forget.
"Honey, do you know what I would like for you to do?" I'm thinking kiss her, hug her, "what",I asked?

To my surprize, she said,"I want to see you walk up the hollow without any clothes on" ... "naked," I sheepishly asked?

Naked!

I didn't see any deer and I hope they didn't see me!

from Joe_Cermele wrote 5 years 3 weeks ago

2Poppa...from serious hunting, to almost X-rated, to comedy. That rocks!!!

from jcarlin wrote 5 years 3 weeks ago

I think most of us like our alone time in the woods. I wouldn't have considered sitting a tree together. But I bow to the fact that 2Poppa sounds like he had a better time than a lot of my December mornings. Was it cold?

from buckhunter wrote 5 years 3 weeks ago

I'm gald I'm not the only one to have by wife to be under my treestand. Before it was even light out a deer walked past the stand and she screamed. Of course that was 30 years ago. Now a days she's begging me to go fishing to get me out of the house. Not a bad deal. I consider it time off for bad behavior.

On a serious note, I would suggest protection for anyone wanting to land a cupidfish honey.

from s-kfry wrote 5 years 3 weeks ago

Cupidfish.com = Alaska

Just like the stories I have heard of the dudes:girls ratio up there. Guess it's back to traditional dating for those of you who haven't tagged out yet.

from Love2Hunt wrote 5 years 3 weeks ago

Not a bad idea. But why one would want to take their girl fishing/hunting with them, I don't know. I go fishing and hunting to get away from her LOL. It is one of the few times that I can go and hang out with the guys and do and say what I want. It is a time to relax and have some male bonding. My guy friends have never yelled at me about picking up the seat, or watching the game.

from MLH wrote 5 years 3 weeks ago

Whoa! Sorry KingFisher ... should double check my spelling. Not sure how that came out.

from MLH wrote 5 years 3 weeks ago

And I prefer ladies. You guys looking for guys look elsewhere.

from Steven9253 wrote 5 years 3 weeks ago

I asked my wife if she wanted to go and she shares no interest in sitting in the woods just hanging out. We do go on hikes and I am planning on taking her fishing for the first time this year but we will see what happens. Either way she supports what I enjoy and I make a point to do the same. When we do have kids, regardless of gender, I will take them out in the woods and let them decide for themselves if they enjoy hunting and fishing like I do.

from KingFisher907 wrote 5 years 3 weeks ago

sorry too MLH! now worries!

from KingFisher907 wrote 5 years 3 weeks ago

I meant NO WORRIES...ugh, its time for bed...

from dwaynez wrote 5 years 3 weeks ago

I guess I am lucky in the fact that my wife loves to fish, some times she goes along and will stay out in rough conditions to catch some fish, Other times she will stay home and tell me to go out with the guys and have a good trip, she will give me a call on the cell every so often to see if the fish are biting and that's it.

She grew up in the country like me and loves to go after fish, maybe not quite as much as me, but she does not complain and will fish in rain, snow, sleet, even if the bite is slow she enjoys the time on the water.

from MLH wrote 5 years 3 weeks ago

KingFisher - no problem. I reported my post and ask that it be removed.

from JCDunn wrote 5 years 3 weeks ago

Thanks for the plug and support Joe and the folks at FS. We have seen a huge increase in members and the word that ladies are free is spreading like a wildfire. We owe you a beer or many...

from 2Poppa wrote 5 years 3 weeks ago

Thanks for the comment Joe and jcarlin!

No, it wasn't cold,it was early bow season, back then, it was October.
So, I had my Black Max, Mathews in hand,and my Rocky Bearclaw,boots on,wearing a smile.
The whole time, I was questioning my sanity, but I realized, I was just crazy over this Gal.

I kept trying to imagine, WWTD? ... What Would Tarzan Do?

from chadlove wrote 5 years 3 weeks ago

A 22:1 ratio? Sounds like some of the bars I frequented in my youth...

from fishjay40 wrote 5 years 3 weeks ago

This site cracked me up! I am sitting next to my girlfriend right now, who like myself loves to fish, but she said she would be so embarrased to say we met on something like this. Those poor guys though, that is not a wide pool to choose from. I wonder what the first date would be like with two people from this site? Maybe a fishing or hunting trip?

from muskiemaster wrote 5 years 3 weeks ago

wow these people should really try finding a new site to be looking on definetely not good odds 22:1 you have a better chance winning on a scratch off.

from 60256 wrote 5 years 3 weeks ago

that's actually pretty funny that there is a website like that.

Nate

from snowninja wrote 5 years 3 weeks ago

My wife loves to fish just about as much as i do. It's the same as JC though. Much better if we go on a nice summer day. She thought i was crazy on saturday when i went to the docks and it was raining and about 37 degrees out. And i'm not ashamed to say that last time we went she caught a 13 inch 2 1/2 lb. black crappie. Best crappie i've seen in a long time, if not ever. Plus it's something that we can do together that i love and is not christmas shopping.

from SamIAm wrote 5 years 2 weeks ago

I've been trying to get my wife to fish with me for years. On her first trip she snagged and landed a 25 pound carp in our local pond on an ultralight rod and reel. Now that's talent! Unfortunately, the big fish didn't spark an equally big interest so I resorted to encouraging her to 'accesorize' her tackle. That's right... she picked out a blue rod, blue reel, blue tackle box, and an assortment of blue, green, and pink lures! Now she's excited to go fishing with me! Whatever works...I don't care!

from Albert A Rasch wrote 3 years 37 weeks ago

Cupidfish.com is owned and operated by the notorious Spammer and plagiarist Mark Rommel Osterholt. Many outdoor bloggers and forum members have been plagiarized on his many scraper/splogger sites. Cupidfish.com is just another one of his rip-off sites. But don't take my word for it, just google his name!

Best regards,
Albert A Rasch
The Rasch Outdoor Chronicles

from FloridaHunter1226 wrote 5 years 3 weeks ago

from KingFisher907 wrote 5 years 3 weeks ago

dont be jealous, MLH, Im sure theres a guy out there for you...

from Alex Pernice th... wrote 5 years 3 weeks ago

from vtbluegrass wrote 5 years 3 weeks ago

from KingFisher907 wrote 5 years 3 weeks ago

Good save JC!

I love that woman!

from Love2Hunt wrote 5 years 3 weeks ago

from 2Poppa wrote 5 years 3 weeks ago

I stopped trying to take my wife huntin' or fishin'!

"I'm just peeing," came her reply.

Naked!

I didn't see any deer and I hope they didn't see me!

from agingery wrote 5 years 3 weeks ago

from JCDunn wrote 5 years 3 weeks ago

from chadlove wrote 5 years 3 weeks ago

A 22:1 ratio? Sounds like some of the bars I frequented in my youth...

from Joe_Cermele wrote 5 years 3 weeks ago

2Poppa...from serious hunting, to almost X-rated, to comedy. That rocks!!!

from MLH wrote 5 years 3 weeks ago

from MLH wrote 5 years 3 weeks ago

And I prefer ladies. You guys looking for guys look elsewhere.

from MLH wrote 5 years 3 weeks ago

KingFisher - no problem. I reported my post and ask that it be removed.

from jcarlin wrote 5 years 3 weeks ago

from jcarlin wrote 5 years 3 weeks ago

from KingFisher907 wrote 5 years 3 weeks ago

sorry too MLH! now worries!

from KingFisher907 wrote 5 years 3 weeks ago

I meant NO WORRIES...ugh, its time for bed...

from 60256 wrote 5 years 3 weeks ago

that's actually pretty funny that there is a website like that.

Nate

from buckhunter wrote 5 years 3 weeks ago

from Albert A Rasch wrote 3 years 37 weeks ago

Best regards,
Albert A Rasch
The Rasch Outdoor Chronicles

from Steven9253 wrote 5 years 3 weeks ago

from dwaynez wrote 5 years 3 weeks ago

from shane wrote 5 years 3 weeks ago

from s-kfry wrote 5 years 3 weeks ago

Cupidfish.com = Alaska

from SamIAm wrote 5 years 2 weeks ago

from fishjay40 wrote 5 years 3 weeks ago

from 2Poppa wrote 5 years 3 weeks ago

Thanks for the comment Joe and jcarlin!

No, it wasn't cold,it was early bow season, back then, it was October.

I kept trying to imagine, WWTD? ... What Would Tarzan Do?

from snowninja wrote 5 years 3 weeks ago

from muskiemaster wrote 5 years 3 weeks ago

from MLH wrote 5 years 3 weeks ago

Cermele, you're a lucky man. You, too, FinkFisher.