Merwin: Bananas & Lucky Charms

The Lateral Line

March 25, 2009

Merwin: Bananas & Lucky Charms

By John Merwin

There are lots of anglers and charter captains who won’t take any bananas on a fishing boat because bananas have a long-standing reputation as a jinx. According to the latest issue of the IGFA newsletter, this superstition was first described by angler Harlan Major in his 1952 book, "Fishing Behind The Eight Ball." Major supposedly “proved” the banana problem by smuggling a banana on board a charter boat and then spending the day catching nothing.

I am not a superstitious guy. But I’ve heard the banana thing so often from so many people that I don’t take a banana on my boat either. Why tempt fate when I’d rather live without bananas than without fish?

I don’t carry a rabbit’s foot, and I don’t mind walking under a ladder (after first looking up). Our housecat is all black, and she crosses my path several times a day.When it comes to fishing, I have no lucky charms tucked in my vest or boat.

But maybe--just maybe--there’s something to angling superstitions after all. Fishing luck is a funny thing. Who knows what controls it? If I search long enough, I know I’ll be able to find a couple of 4- leaf clovers in the yard. Maybe I’ll put one in a tackle box, just in case...

from rjw wrote 5 years 3 weeks ago

Power of suggestion is a strong mental deterrent, for some.

Funny thing though, I feel lucky when I do go fishin’.
Hey Merwin, are you a magician? From what I have read you seem to catch a fair share of fishies, jinx's or not.

from boomer1 wrote 5 years 3 weeks ago

it is a good thing i do not like bananas

from Douglas wrote 5 years 3 weeks ago

How far does the bannana jinx extend? If I eat one in the morning, does it count as a bannana on board?
You did it now Mr. Merwin! All us superstitious anglers will not eat bannana's when we fish, the industry is going to tank, and they will need economic stimulus money for a bailout.

from victorytw228 wrote 5 years 3 weeks ago

Also dont forget you cant whisle either, and women aint allowed on board, oh and urinate on the leeward side.... the last one really aint a superstition just a good piece of advice!

from MLH wrote 5 years 3 weeks ago

Harry Chapin wrote a song about bad luck and bananas - 30,000 Pounds of Bananas. Based on a true story - the driver had picked up his load of bananas from the docks in New Jersey, came down the hill into Scranton at 90mph and made a real mess of things. Some folks in Scranton, PA might feel the same about bananas, too.

Wonder what a charter captain would do if you started singing that song while boarding his boat. Just be sure to end it with, "Yes, we have no bananas. We have no bananas, today."

from buckhunter wrote 5 years 3 weeks ago

I don't know about the bannana thing but it's a good rule to pick up a little trash while fishing. The fish Gods will love you for it.

from alabamahunter wrote 5 years 3 weeks ago

I got my biggest red ever with a few bananas on the boat. That is the god-honest truth too. In fact, I believe I posted the pic of that fish on here a while back. That morning my brother-in-law and I caught 20 or so reds combined, the smallest being a solid 4lbs. I've never been big on lucky charms(no pun intended). Or for that matter, I don't really have anything I consider unlucky.

I guess I did have a hat once that I caught my biggest bass, killed my first turkey, and caught my biggest bream and red while wearing it. I also missed the biggest deer I've ever seen in person, gotten a truck stuck when I wasn't supposed to be driving, and done lots of other unlucky things. Luck is what you make of it.

from alabamahunter wrote 5 years 3 weeks ago

Sorry god-awful lack of parallelism in that last post.

from Jim in Mo wrote 5 years 3 weeks ago

I think it's good to have a superstition, a man has to have something to blame his bad luck on.

from Del in KS wrote 5 years 3 weeks ago

I have a lucky orange hat that was given to me in AK. That's about as far as my belief in luck goes.

from dwaynez wrote 5 years 3 weeks ago

I have a lucky coin that is in my wallet, but that is as far as I go.

I do have lucky lures that seem to catch more fish, but I don't go overboard with it.

from FloridaHunter1226 wrote 5 years 3 weeks ago

Men need something to blame their bad luck on. Just like the first thing that most hunters blame when they miss a shot it their optics. Many don't like they are the reason or naturual reasons are the reasons for their bad luck.

from Brennen James Harper wrote 5 years 3 weeks ago

there is no luck its just god he test you to see if you faithful

Amen

Brennen Harper Age:10

from kolbster wrote 5 years 3 weeks ago

i agree with Jim in Mo, you have something to blame your bad luck on, but my thinking is why take the chance leave the bananas at home, as well as cats, ladders, mirrors, and salt shakers.LOL

from peter wrote 5 years 2 weeks ago

well i dont care. i love bannans, their not juicy or messy and taste great

from fishjay40 wrote 5 years 2 weeks ago

When a "rookie" angler steps foot on my boat I make sure to do a "banana check". Taking a banana on board is like cutting your gas line while your driving to your secret whole.... you just don't do it! Why don't you do it? Who knows, it is just one of those fishing superstions that you have to do.

from steve182 wrote 5 years 2 weeks ago

If a boat skipper allows, or worse... brings, bananas onboard, I'm staying on the dock. Also, you don't rename a boat. It's a curse.

from chuckles wrote 5 years 1 week ago

I have freaked out my fishing buddies numerous times by catching fish within seconds of making a "sacrifice to the gods". Usually pouring a sip of beer or a pinch of tobacco into the water when we weren't catching anything. The world is stranger than we can know and not respecting the forces that make is so is plain foolish.

from archer88 wrote 5 years 1 week ago

couple years ago on lake kipawa we had alot of beavers around us and no fish...we had the curse of the beaver. we made peace with the beaver by taking a floating stick back to his dam...after we did that we caught fish again.

from rjw wrote 5 years 3 weeks ago

Power of suggestion is a strong mental deterrent, for some.

Funny thing though, I feel lucky when I do go fishin’.

from boomer1 wrote 5 years 3 weeks ago

it is a good thing i do not like bananas

from Douglas wrote 5 years 3 weeks ago

from victorytw228 wrote 5 years 3 weeks ago

from MLH wrote 5 years 3 weeks ago

from buckhunter wrote 5 years 3 weeks ago

from alabamahunter wrote 5 years 3 weeks ago

from alabamahunter wrote 5 years 3 weeks ago

Sorry god-awful lack of parallelism in that last post.

from Jim in Mo wrote 5 years 3 weeks ago

from Del in KS wrote 5 years 3 weeks ago

from dwaynez wrote 5 years 3 weeks ago

I have a lucky coin that is in my wallet, but that is as far as I go.

from FloridaHunter1226 wrote 5 years 3 weeks ago