Merwin: A Weirdly Innovative Baitcaster

The Lateral Line

April 06, 2009

Merwin: A Weirdly Innovative Baitcaster

By John Merwin

I just got my hands on what’s easily the most unusual baitcasting reel I’ve ever seen. The new U.S. Reel SuperCaster 1000 has no levelwind in the ordinary sense and also has a spool that runs backwards.

Instead of a worm-gear-driven level wind and eyelet, a shaped bar rocks back and forth like a see-saw as incoming line travels across it, and that see-saw motion works effectively to spread line across the spool as you crank. When you cast, the lack of a constricting eyelet means there’s less friction. Fred Kemp, U.S. Reel’s president and chief coffee-maker, tells me that’s why the new reel will cast farther and more easily than any comparable level-wind bass reel.

In casting and retrieving, line comes off the bottom of the spool instead of the top, which enables the line to travel across the see-saw bar. This feels a little odd but worked just fine in my front-yard casting tests. There are some other novel features as well, but more than I can list here. Click the on the above link to read more.

There are two models selling for $200 and $250 respectively. No, that ain’t cheap. But for the degree of innovation shown, I don’t think it’s bad, either. As a matter of interest, I once calculated the average reel price among all the baitcast reels listed in a recent Bass Pro Shops catalog to be about $140. So for better or worse, baitcast reels in general aren’t cheap, either....

from FloridaHunter1226 wrote 5 years 2 weeks ago

Something innovative indeed. Pretty cool looking too. A little steep with the price and everything but like you said, baitcasters are not cheap. The way you described it, it seems like the idea would work and it sounds like something I would like to get my hands out to try out... Just gotta wait for one of my friends to get one. When that will be, only God knows. haha

from wallofsam wrote 5 years 2 weeks ago

It has to work better than the baitcast I have now but, I'll have to wait for the average joe model so I can afford one. That's ridiculous, I could buy 2 .22's for my kids for that price.

from troutrageous1 wrote 5 years 2 weeks ago

Not surprising to see this coming from US Reel. Have been pining to get one of their spinning reels for a while now...just waiting for my current setup to give way. Nice to see some actual gimmick-free innovation other than adding extra bearings or making it out of a different materials - especially if it works. Glad companies like US Reel and those WaveSpin guys are pushing the envelope of the conventional.

from 2Poppa wrote 5 years 2 weeks ago

"Introducing a new casting reel that casts farther than other reels, casts and pitches lighter lures ... and does it with fewer backlashes!"

The above statement alone, had me.

Looks Like A Winner!

from hawg daddy wrote 5 years 2 weeks ago

it sounds like it would be a good reel for a beginner when starting to use a baitcaster.

from renegades wrote 5 years 2 weeks ago

this is a nice reel. i want this reel because it looks easy to use.

from shane wrote 5 years 2 weeks ago

Sounds good. But so do 2 .22s.

from FloridaHunter1226 wrote 5 years 2 weeks ago

from wallofsam wrote 5 years 2 weeks ago

from troutrageous1 wrote 5 years 2 weeks ago

from 2Poppa wrote 5 years 2 weeks ago

The above statement alone, had me.

Looks Like A Winner!

from hawg daddy wrote 5 years 2 weeks ago

from renegades wrote 5 years 2 weeks ago

this is a nice reel. i want this reel because it looks easy to use.

from shane wrote 5 years 2 weeks ago

Sounds good. But so do 2 .22s.