13 People Killed, 33 Wounded Since Start of Italian Hunting Season

Field Notes

October 25, 2012

13 People Killed, 33 Wounded Since Start of Italian Hunting Season

By Chad Love

If you plan on hunting Italy this year, you may want to learn (and practice) a few key phrases, like "watch where you're pointing that gun," because, according to this Reuters story, it's pretty dangerous to be a hunter in L'Italia.

Italian hunting enthusiasts have killed 13 people and wounded 33 in shooting accidents since the season opened in September, increasing pressure to reform antiquated hunting laws. The death toll swelled across the country this weekend when a 16-year old was killed by a friend while hunting, a pensioner was shot and wounded in his garden and a cyclist was hospitalised after being hit with grapeshot. Hunting groups agree with environmentalists that the law - which allows hunters to roam on private land and discharge firearms within 150 metres (yards) of a house - should be changed. But the sides have become entrenched in a long-running stalemate over how.

According to the story, fewer than one in five Italians considers hunting an acceptable pastime, and that the number of hunters has declined from a high of 2 million, 30 years ago to about 700,000 now, with most of those hunters being between 65 and 78 years old.

So what do you think the problem is? Italy has a long and distinguished hunting tradition. Some of the finest shotguns in the world are made there. But 13 deaths and 33 shootings does seem awfully high for a relatively small number of hunters.

from Alex Grimaudo wrote 1 year 25 weeks ago

What do you hunt when in Italy?

from Nathan Ryver wrote 1 year 25 weeks ago

Sausage????

from Douglas wrote 1 year 25 weeks ago

Don't know what they hunt, but using grapeshot? Straight out of the vineyard?

from VAHunter540 wrote 1 year 25 weeks ago

Sounds more like they could use some required Hunter Saftey and Firearms Saftey Courses in order to be allowed to hunt.

from Baileymade wrote 1 year 25 weeks ago

I don't know what they need to do but they need to do something or they are just shooting themselves in the foot. Nothing gives anti-hunters more of a leg to stand on than hunters literally becoming a danger to society.

from Jerry A. wrote 1 year 25 weeks ago

I don't think the writer from Reuters must know what he is talking about. Grapeshot is an anti-personnel round used in cannons.

from Drover1 wrote 1 year 25 weeks ago

That’s pretty sad. I wonder what kinds of safety policies and programs they have in place. When I was growing up, deaths and injuries from hunting accidents seemed pretty common in the U.S., but laws and education regarding hunter-orange clothing, plus hunter-safety classes, etc. seem to have made a big difference in this country.

I assume the writer meant buckshot, rather than grapeshot.

from Steward wrote 1 year 25 weeks ago

I don't know how the laws need to change, but if most of the 700,000 hunters are between 65 and 78, hunting in Italy is about to go extinct.

from TM wrote 1 year 25 weeks ago

On only one occasion did I ever feel unsafe hunting. I was a guest at a pheasant farm and half the hunting party felt that they had to be intoxicated before going afield at 8am. Coffee with whiskey, then a shot of brandy before heading out into the field. The whole thing struck me as madness.

I stayed as far from them as possible. This was many years ago, and I suspect that formerly was a bigger problem than it is now.

from zulu wrote 1 year 25 weeks ago

I think they could learn a thing or two from America's hunting regs.

from ITHACASXS wrote 1 year 25 weeks ago

Many Europeans drink before and during a break while hunting, though I think it's unwise. Years ago, my grandfather and father always had a glass of wine with their lunch, I packed it for them. As far as what Italians they hunt; rabbits, doves/pigeons, pheasants, quail (they're migratory), waterfowl woodcock, as well as wild boar. For all the very strict gun laws throughout Europe, Blaze orange is never seen. They certainly need a major revamping of their safety courses. There also seems to be a lack of common sense as well, but we've got that here too.

from derik wrote 1 year 25 weeks ago

Hunter Orange clothing, and Hunters education requirement if not already in place. Works for most places here.

from omarfishesalot wrote 1 year 25 weeks ago

some proper hunter safety course and the use of blaze orange will help. it doesnt hurt to teach the next generation either.

from steve182 wrote 1 year 25 weeks ago

Note to self: No hunting trips to Italy.

from martph01 wrote 1 year 25 weeks ago

I'm studying abroad in Italy right now, and got hooked up to follow some local Italians on a wild boar hunt. They do only party hunting for pigs here. There were 35+ hunters and 100ish dogs for the group. I followed one guy the whole day (I couldn't have a gun). I've never seen such unsafe hunters. We got out of the cars, guns were loaded, safties turned OFF, and we hunted the whole day like that. They would have the dogs run pigs out of the woods down a small valley (<30 yards across) and they would try shoot at it from both sides of the ditch. I saw dirt flying within 20 ft of people. I was terrified. I'm ready to get back to the states and hunt safely

from bounty1 wrote 1 year 24 weeks ago

Interesting... I have a Red Stag hunt in the works for Italy. I'll keep this in mind.

from shockersnake wrote 1 year 24 weeks ago

Apparently, they have been hitting the wine kinda hard before hunting in Italy.

from Colorado Samurai wrote 1 year 24 weeks ago

Make 'em take a hunter's safety education course like we do.

from VAHunter540 wrote 1 year 25 weeks ago

from Jerry A. wrote 1 year 25 weeks ago

from Nathan Ryver wrote 1 year 25 weeks ago

Sausage????

from Drover1 wrote 1 year 25 weeks ago

I assume the writer meant buckshot, rather than grapeshot.

from steve182 wrote 1 year 25 weeks ago

Note to self: No hunting trips to Italy.

from martph01 wrote 1 year 25 weeks ago

from Alex Grimaudo wrote 1 year 25 weeks ago

What do you hunt when in Italy?

from Douglas wrote 1 year 25 weeks ago

Don't know what they hunt, but using grapeshot? Straight out of the vineyard?

from Baileymade wrote 1 year 25 weeks ago

from Steward wrote 1 year 25 weeks ago

from TM wrote 1 year 25 weeks ago

from zulu wrote 1 year 25 weeks ago

I think they could learn a thing or two from America's hunting regs.

from ITHACASXS wrote 1 year 25 weeks ago

from derik wrote 1 year 25 weeks ago

from omarfishesalot wrote 1 year 25 weeks ago

from bounty1 wrote 1 year 24 weeks ago

from shockersnake wrote 1 year 24 weeks ago

Apparently, they have been hitting the wine kinda hard before hunting in Italy.

from Colorado Samurai wrote 1 year 24 weeks ago

Make 'em take a hunter's safety education course like we do.