Wisconsin Hunters Debate 16-Day Deer Season PLUS More Whitetail Headlines

Whitetail 365

October 29, 2009

Wisconsin Hunters Debate 16-Day Deer Season PLUS More Whitetail Headlines

By Dave Hurteau

From the Duluth News Tribune:
Many of the Wisconsin residents who turned out for a public hearing Wednesday night in Ashland said they don’t want to see an end to the state’s traditional nine-day gun deer season that begins the Saturday before Thanksgiving.

The Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources is proposing a 16-day gun deer season beginning two Saturdays before Thanksgiving. . . .

But some of the 67 who attended the meeting supported the 16-day season, and others said they could support it if it began the Saturday before Thanksgiving as the current season does.

Check out the full article and tell us if you’d want a 16-day gun season in your state?

More Whitetail Deer Headlines:
Standing Corn Causes Concerns For Deer Hunters
Deer Trash . . .
. . . Delaware Gift Store
. . . Pennsylvania Quiznos
. . . Ohio Car Dealership

from MLH wrote 4 years 24 weeks ago

I can imagine the chagrin of northern Wisconsin hunters, since right across the border, Michigan hunters have an extra 6 days to bag their deer.

Michigan's firearm season is Nov.15-30. Extending it probably wouldn't significantly change the amount of deer taken in Michigan. I hear that 80% are taken on opening day. I'd be fine with leaving the firearms season alone or extending it. Perhaps just extending season in the upper.

Extending Michigan firearm would cut into the late grouse, pheasant, and deer archery seasons, but few bird and archery hunters brave the deep snow and cold, at least in upper Michigan.

Only significant effect might be on late muzzleloader seasons, but muzzleloader hunters can use front loaders during firearms season. I would like more time to use a firearm but, if a tag is unfilled, I'll be out there during muzzleloader or late archery season anyway. Hunting the quiet snow covered woods in December is special. Dragging a deer through waist deep snow is an exhilarating way to end the year.

from deerslayer1234 wrote 4 years 24 weeks ago

Yeah, PA where I live and hunt has a very long gun season. it starts the monday after thanksgiving every year, and goes on until near the end of december.

from jhed67 wrote 4 years 24 weeks ago

In Northern Minnesota we have a 16 day season that starts either on the first or second Saturday of November, depending where that first Saturday lands. I like this length, most hunters only hunt opening weekend so the next two are quiet and many times feature better hunting as not only are there fewer hunters, but the rut usually seems to get going later in November.

from thuroy wrote 4 years 24 weeks ago

I like the fact that Wisconsin's season always begins on a Saturday. More hunters get to hunt on the weekend and by starting on Saturday they get two weekends including Thanksgiving weekend. I wish Michigan's season did the same, but still was open for the same number of days. If they worried about total deer population that would help.

from thuroy wrote 4 years 24 weeks ago

I also wish that Michigan's archery season would open up earlier like many western states or our counter parts in the midwest. September 1 or 15.

from thuroy wrote 4 years 24 weeks ago

However, I always take November 15 off for religous reasons.

from jbird wrote 4 years 24 weeks ago

In Missouri our regular gun season is 10 days, w/ an extra week for does only, and a week in late Dec. for muzzleloaders. I'd be happy w/ a longer gun season. Also, our muzzleloader season got bumped back a MONTH this year, which SUCKS. We do have a nice long bow season though, Sep. 15 thru Jan 15.

from fliphuntr14 wrote 4 years 24 weeks ago

I live in northern wisconsin i usually go south to my uncles for the first 5 days of the wisconsin gun season and then hunt near my house for the next 4. i don't think the northern more wooded areas can support a healthy deer herd if the deer are hunted so heavily just before winter. 16 days might be ok for the southern counties with large farms and few predators such as the wolves that are more present in the north and the higher population of bears.

from theoutdoorfever wrote 4 years 24 weeks ago

I am from Arkansas where it seems like every body in the state is hunting when gun season opens up. Pretty much all I do is archery hunt and I think one of the main reasons that Northwest Arkansas has such a hard time growing big bucks is because of the gun season and the fact that it takes place during the rut. I think that one of the reasons states like Kansas and Illinois produce such high quality deer is because Kansas doesn't have a gun season during the rut and the only gun hunting done in Illinois is with a shotgun. I would like to see the gun season shortened or moved after the rut in Arkansas.

Matt
theoutdoorfever.com

from swilmot1 wrote 4 years 24 weeks ago

fliphuntr14 said it perfect I am originally from northern WI also I live in Nc now because of the military but go to WI every gun season. Northern Wi just cant support the long gun season and also the normal 9 day gun season has so much traition in it that nobody wants to change it

from pfettig77 wrote 4 years 24 weeks ago

I live in Northwestern, WI and I think the best solution is to make the season 16 days but still start it the Saturday before thanksgiving. Tradition is huge here, as I'm sure it is in other states, and coinciding the deer season with visiting relatives for the holidays helps make the tradition strong.

Also, the chances of shooting a deer after opening morning (or maybe opening day) diminish pretty rapidly because the deer tend to really hunker down after that. Since most deer are killed then, there aren't nearly as many hunters in the woods that second weekend. I'm guessing there would be very few the second week (if there was one).

fliphuntr14 makes a good point about some areas not having that many deer - perhaps they should only do the 16-day season in certain overpopulated zones. We already have Oct. and Dec. doe hunts in certain zones.

from ironsights wrote 4 years 24 weeks ago

In Oklahoma we currently have a 16 day gun hunt, and it was a very good move in regards to conservation. Instead of shooting the first 1 1/2 yr old buck that walks by, I pass them now, because I have plenty of time to bag a mature animal. The department limited the season total to two bucks and six doe, not counting special hunts. The generous time to gun hunt really stresses my employer out because I am never around in nov.

from ironsights wrote 4 years 24 weeks ago

an explanation to Oklahoma's 6 doe, 2 buck limit, it is for the entire season, archery, primitive and gun, our bow season also runs into the new year, Jan 1-15 with restrictions according to zones on doe days and the like

from Brittle wrote 4 years 24 weeks ago

i live in wisconsin and do we really want to wipe out our deer herd no i think we should just add 4 days or 3

from Manbearpig wrote 4 years 24 weeks ago

The Department of No Results at their best. All of you other folks from other states be happy you dont have to put up with this crap. God do I hate the Wisconsin DNR.

from neuman23 wrote 4 years 24 weeks ago

The Wisconsin DNR wants to get the deer herd back down to the size it was in the 70's, and with the season structures they come up with they make that pretty obvious. This year they have a 4 day anterless only season in october, the regular 9 day gun season, the following week long muzzeloader season, then starting the thursday after that another 4 day anterless season, followed by select areas with another ten day "holiday" hunt, where if a hunter shoots a doe they can then harvest another buck. That doesn't include the CWD season where they have everything but the holiday season, and instead they just have another regular gun season running from Dec 24 until hunting ends in january. Oh and they still have that in the CWD zone you can get 4 free tags a day, and for every doe you harvest you can get a buck. Now they come up with this 16 day gun season idea that they are contemplating to start earlier into the rut! They have been leaning more towards the traditional start with the 16 day hunt (As stated in the Wisconsin Outdoor News Journal), followed with all the seasons I already mentioned. That would be more than a month and a half of gun season, with most of it right before the dead of winter. The media has been focusing on this 16 day gun hunt too much and not the whole picture, if the DNR wants this gun hunt, then they should drop the other "special" hunts and make it just one season. It would also make it alot easier to follow the regulations, since they keep changing around these special seasons every year. Sorry for ranting, but as you can see I am just fed up with this circus the DNR has been running the last few years.

from steve182 wrote 4 years 24 weeks ago

NJ's 6 day shotgun season is a bit short for my liking. Pa's 2 week rifle season is about right.

from Clay Cooper wrote 4 years 24 weeks ago

If the season would be more along the days of the rut, would be pretty good i say!

from nunyabinis wrote 4 years 24 weeks ago

Lower South Carolina's 140 day gun season (Aug 15-Jan 1)is a little short for my liking but you have to take what you can get.

:^)

from jamesti wrote 4 years 24 weeks ago

co's 8-9 day season kind of sucks because i can only hunt on the weekends so that cuts out a lot of days. i started bow and muzzleloader hunting partly just so i could get more time in the field. i wish our seasons started a little later because we don't get favorable weather like we used to until later in the year.

from Brittle wrote 4 years 24 weeks ago

i think we shouldn't have a 16 day season to wipe out our deer herd and just add 2,3,4 days i mean we really want younger generations to hunt deer too

from kyle wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

I hunt in northern WI and every one I talk to hates this idea. We work so hard for so long to get a healthy and comfortable herd. This is the second dumbest idea that the DNR come up with. The first is the freaking wolf. Like stated above me in WI it is a very big tradition in WI with the 9 day gun season. I really don't think the hunters are going to stay out there for an extra week. Alot of hunters use their vacation time from work for the season. Its going to be pointless to make it a 16 day season. They have to keep the WI tradition alive!!!

from muskiemaster wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

the deer are already being shot at quite a bit before rifle season starts, (youth hunt, herd control hunt, bow season) I'm torn over this decision one part of me says this is to much hunting, but another part of me says at least it gives you more time to hunt and it's going on during the best part of the rut. So I have no opinion I just want to hunt a large enough deer herd in the state so that I can see a deer for every about two days worth of hard hunting I put in.

from charlie elk wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

WI deerhunters are truly an amazing lot. They are offered more time to hunt, all many fo them do is complain. Instead they should relax and enjoy hunting for the sake of hunting. In the framework of a longer season each hunter can make their own decision as to how many days to hunt, which animal to shoot and how many to shoot. The number tags issued will be the same so why would a longer season kill too many deer?
As for the tradition argument-if you like the way your deer camp is; keep it that way. No one will be forcing you to change. Why force your tradition on someone else who may prefer to hunt a few more days? Isn't that being selfish?
Respectfully,
charlie

from Brittle wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

i just took hunter safety and they said in the seventies deer and turkey numbers were down a lot because of hunting same senerio here we hunt em we lose them especially with all new buildings ruining land too

from Brittle wrote 4 years 22 weeks ago

Wisconsin has too much predatation on deer and i Know cause i live in wi. Cougars now moved in and now a 16 day season what? That's killing way too much deer. Deer could get killed by cars, predators, disease,16 day season thanks to dnr jk, loss of habitat. Just add 1 or 2 days if you even have to but really dont kill our deer out numbers of deer are going down

from kyle wrote 4 years 22 weeks ago

Went back up to WI last weekend, now more hunters do not like this idea one bit. Now alot of them are getting really upset with this stuid idea. Heard alot I mean alot of land owners are thinking about shutting down the snowmobile trails that run through their lands. In northern WI it the snowmobiliers bring alot of revenune to the bars and resturates and gas stations. The hard part is getting the state of WI to realize that this was a stuiped idea and drop it.

from PJunior1979 wrote 4 years 22 weeks ago

We have roughly 65 acres in montello, We have been practicing deer Managment for 10 years. Before that we would see between 60 and 70 deer on opening day, sure, some might have been the same deer, and we can see quite aways from our stands, But, we no longer have baskett racks and smaller(spikes and forks) The pressure isnt there for the deer to move, we have close to 1600 acres to the west of us and 500 to the south. Maybe 5 guys hunt it total. We have seen buck well over the 150 class during bow season, but lucky to see them during gun. I believe that a 2 week hunt would favor the guys that have QDML, that dont put pressure on, to maybe get that chance to have a nice Buck under no pressure venture after the opening weekend and week. Deer will move after a week of hiding. Somtimes rut has alittle more to do with that also.

from PJunior1979 wrote 4 years 22 weeks ago

I also think that if the season is the saturday b4 thanksgiving, and goes an extra week, we can eliminate this crap T-ZONE and have earn a buck every other year. We take 4 doe just off our 65 and I know there are maybe at least 20 taken around us. Our efforts are paying off, you may not see 5 bucks when hunting a morning or a night, but the ones you see are Very nice! We need in Wisconsin, to start getting what we pay for when buying a license. And another thing...CWD has been here for years. It just took time for our great state to finally recognize it...lol

from kyle wrote 4 years 22 weeks ago

If the 16 day gun season passess I closing the snowmoi bile trail that run across our land!!!!

from charlie elk wrote 4 years 21 weeks ago

Kyle
What link am I missing?
You get to hunt more so you punish snowmobilers?

from kyle wrote 4 years 21 weeks ago

Charlie elk-

I can see where you are coming from, hey we get a chance to hunt longer but here is our point of view. In WI the 9 day gun season is a very very big tradition. Alot of work places and schools shut down for the hunting season. Of the people that I talk to, do not like this proposal one bit. We are affraid that some hunters think that since this group is done hunting they can come in and hunt. Alot of groups work so hard for so long to get a heathly herd its going to screw everything up. You do not need 16 days to fill your gun tag. I really don't think this is going to happen at all. By the way I am a die hard snowmoblier. The way most of us look at it, since we let the state put snowmobile trails across our land, they should be taking us more seriously that we do not want this 16 day season. I know the state of WI knows how much revenue they get from snowmobliers, now watch what happens if we shut the trails down! I'm not punishing the snowmobliers I'm gonna punish the state!
The bow season starts in Setember, there is a youth hunt in October, anterless hunt in select units in October, then the 9 day gun season then we have the muzzler loader season for the next 7 days. We also have another anterless season then we have the late bow season that goes till the end of year. So I think that should give a hunter more than enough time to harvest a deer.

respectitfully kyle

P.S. I am not trying to start any agruement here at all. It just I believe this is a bad idea and many agree with me. Good luck hunting!

from ataylor95 wrote 4 years 21 weeks ago

I agree completly with the last comment. But when did the DNR start doing anything in the interest of the sportsman. Whatever puts more money in there fund to buy more land. Whats next, deer stamps. They have a public uproar over the earn-a-buck to the point where they are forced to cancel it. So now they add another week onto several other weeks. So instead of just shovin their foot in, now they're being nice and adding a little vasiline.

from charlie elk wrote 4 years 21 weeks ago

Kyle,
Thanks for your answer.
If you close the trails snowmobilers can't ride and they are punished. Many of them already do not care much for the hunters here. I can see the coming headlines.
It is my understanding that with the lengthening of the season T hunts & EAB are eliminated. A good thing in my humble opinion.
I am not big on gun hunting however if the season is longer would it become a more relaxed and therefore a higher quality hunt?
How about those who have to work and can only hunt a couple of days a week?
WIDNR posted all of the proposals online for public input and the 16 day season framework got the majority of votes from hunters and nonhunting landowners.
I must admit I do not understand this "tradition thing" except that is the way it has always been.
Further explaination would be welcome.

Another thought comes to mind - all of the anti hunting groups also oppose this. If I were in agreement with anti hunters on anything.........

No argument just an exchange of points of view.
On any issue we should be able to disagree without being disagreeable.
Later,
charlie

from kyle wrote 4 years 21 weeks ago

Charlie elk-

Thanks for not making me look like a bad guy here. This upcoming 9 day WI deer hunt is my favorite time of year. You see my old man and I really don't get along but this time of year we are like best of friends. To me the WI 9 day gun season gets me closer to my dad than any other time of year. You are right that alot of people agree with this 16 day season but most of them are from the southern part of the state that does need the herd cut down. With the way old man winter has been playing the past few years snowmobile trails were never open down southern of WI. Of the people in the north who owns land in northern WI do not want this one bit( where most of the trails are) I just read on WI DNR site that they want to keep the youth hunt in OCTOBER which I do not mind at all. They are talking about adding a early muzzleloading season on top of the early anterless then the 16 day gun season then a another 7 day muzzleloading season then other anterless season. Then the late bow season. To me that is way to much time. Heard it through the grapevine that the state is not going to elimate the other seasons. I bow hunt and adding this stuff on during the prime of the rut is stupid.I would love to get a wall hanger with my bow but with these season they are coming up with it is impossible. If the state really thinks the deer number are too high lower the tag fee. I had to pay 160 bucks for 1 buck tag for non-resident. My old man had to pay 27 bucks for a buck tag. Then he had to pay an extra 12 bucks to get a anterless tag!!! So for almost $200 bucks me and my old man can only shoot 3 deer( in northern WI 2 bucks and 1 doe). Like I stated in my past post our group spend a lot of time trying to get a healthy herd. The way I see it if you do not get the big one on your land this year its only get bigger next year.

WI usally has the most biggest buck kill over all average (by gun) in the US every year. The reason is we have one of the shortest seasons.

Go back to the snowmobile trail issue, I am a die hard snosmobiler I also volunteer my time to groom snowmobile trails. Over the years(15+ years) the trail ran through our property. Now I feel like the state is taken it for granted that they have the right to come through our land.

from kyle wrote 4 years 21 weeks ago

Charlie elk-

from kyle wrote 4 years 21 weeks ago

sorry about the double

from kyle wrote 4 years 21 weeks ago

charlie elk-

Just wondering where are you from? I not mad at all I really enjoy our debate here. LOL I'm expressing my feelings here and I'm expressing the right of how our land is use. For the last 15+ years the snowmobile trail ran through our land. The way I see it they(the state) should be thankful rather taking for granted that we will keep on doing it. If we do not let it run through our property the state trail 12 will be shut down because we are the only ones that will allow to cross to get to the next land owner that will. If we say no more that trail is in a world of hurt!!!! I do not want to do it at all but if it comes to that we have to do what we have to do. Snowmobilers should be thankful and respectful of the land owners that gave them right to run through their land. So how am I punishing the snowmobliers when I gave the right to run through our private property for the last 15+ years? Its our land we can do what we please. We are happy as heck to have the trail go across our land but we are sick and tried of being taken for granted. I think that the land owners rather just hunters should have a say it this. Cause I know of all the people I talk too that owns land with snowmobile trails running through their land who do not agree with this is keeping quiet till the state is ready to pass it. Thats when we come in and say if it passes we are closing the snowmobile trails that run through our land. Not punishing the snowmobilers at all its going to be the state the closes the trail for the snowmobilers.

Respectfully kyle

from charlie elk wrote 4 years 21 weeks ago

Kyle,
Thanks for spending the extra money in WI for those NR tags. As a Minnesotan in exiled to WI I still remember when I was spending the bucks to shoot the big bucks.
You are right and I support your right as a property owner to do with your land as you see fit.
Government is a big blob you push on one side and it simply oozes out somewhere else. WIDNR will only make up any money lost somewhere else they are government and they will not live with less.
What I meant is the family that goes out snowmobiling will not be able to if you close your trail. They will be disappointed and hurt. I do not participate in that sport. I was just curious of the connection to deer hunting seasons.
I only hunt or scout for places to hunt.

WI deer herd is starting to hurt it is getting ill from too many deer. During my trips to the northern forests
a trained eye can see the browse lines everywhere. In many areas the habitat is not able to support the number of deer. I know there are not as many deer up north as south but the over winter habitat is not sufficent to support their current numbers. If we get a hard winter mother nature will take the herd down. It will be a reduction worse than anything anyone is complaining about that our professional deer bioligists are recommending.
Back in the late 60s & early 70s the same debate was taking place in MN. Then like now in WI the bioligists recommended extensive harvest no one listened and there was some very bad winters. Deer hunters scrambled to feed the starving deer. Almost all the deer died off. MN closed the deer season and when it reopened it was only for one day or a weekend. I fear a repeat of that disaster coming. Just depends on the weather in the north and disease in the south.
There are too many deer here. What do you suggest be done? EAB was starting to work. But then....
The season starts in a couple of days. Put all this debating aside and have a good hunt with your Dad. Please think of him as your Dad and not the old man. That hurts our feelings because we are men; we just won't say so.
Happy hunting,
charlie

from coho310 wrote 4 years 21 weeks ago

This is confusing me,I can't even figure out my own deer season here in Idaho,I believe it was gun season a week ago,I didn't draw deer tags,so I dunno.

from buckhunter wrote 4 years 21 weeks ago

I recall when the ODNR extended the Ohio season you would find nobody, and I mean nobody in the woods the extra days. Most folks only have so many days to take off work. Somehow even the extra weekend was slow.

from charlie elk wrote 4 years 21 weeks ago

buckhunter,
When did OH extend the season? Is that the framework you still have or did it change back?

from buckhunter wrote 4 years 21 weeks ago

Charlie,
You are putting my brain in overdrive. Currently the gun season is a week long plus the following weekend. That has been in place since 2006. I really can't say for sure when the season was extended the extra week then taken back. I'm a bowhunter and I bowhunt through gun season taking an occasional break with my muzzleloader. I really don't pay much attention to the gun rules. I know currently I can bowhunt from late September into February. I'm typically in the woods every day during this time.

from charlie elk wrote 4 years 18 weeks ago

buckhunter bow hunting is the way to go. I usually ignore the gun rules myself but there is so much noise in wi you need to be deaf to ignore it. WI does not allow bowhunting during firearm season.
OH gives you til Feb to bowhunt? Hmmm, my son lives in Columbus area; think I need to visit Jan-Feb.
later,
charlie

from MLH wrote 4 years 24 weeks ago

from deerslayer1234 wrote 4 years 24 weeks ago

from fliphuntr14 wrote 4 years 24 weeks ago

from neuman23 wrote 4 years 24 weeks ago

from jhed67 wrote 4 years 24 weeks ago

from thuroy wrote 4 years 24 weeks ago

from thuroy wrote 4 years 24 weeks ago

from thuroy wrote 4 years 24 weeks ago

However, I always take November 15 off for religous reasons.

from jbird wrote 4 years 24 weeks ago

from jamesti wrote 4 years 24 weeks ago

from charlie elk wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

Respectfully,
charlie

from charlie elk wrote 4 years 21 weeks ago

Kyle,
I only hunt or scout for places to hunt.

Happy hunting,
charlie

from swilmot1 wrote 4 years 24 weeks ago

from pfettig77 wrote 4 years 24 weeks ago

from Manbearpig wrote 4 years 24 weeks ago

from Brittle wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

from Brittle wrote 4 years 22 weeks ago

from charlie elk wrote 4 years 21 weeks ago

Kyle
What link am I missing?
You get to hunt more so you punish snowmobilers?

from kyle wrote 4 years 21 weeks ago

from PJunior1979 wrote 4 years 22 weeks ago

from kyle wrote 4 years 22 weeks ago

from ataylor95 wrote 4 years 21 weeks ago

from charlie elk wrote 4 years 21 weeks ago

Kyle,
Thanks for your answer.
How about those who have to work and can only hunt a couple of days a week?
Further explaination would be welcome.

No argument just an exchange of points of view.
On any issue we should be able to disagree without being disagreeable.
Later,