Ohio Hunter Bags Potential State-Record Buck With Potential World-Record Beams

Field Notes

December 09, 2009

Ohio Hunter Bags Potential State-Record Buck With Potential World-Record Beams

By Dave Hurteau

From the Dayton Daily News:
[The buck] Brian Stephens . . . shot on opening day of the [Ohio] deer gun season last week (Nov. 30). . . is a huge 18-pointer with one main beam of its rack possibly the largest for any whitetail ever recorded – 35 inches. And once the antlers are officially scored, it is likely to be an Ohio record for a nontypical deer killed by a muzzleloader.

The rack will be green scored by Boone & Crocket scorer Mike Wendel of Botkins today, Dec. 9. Once it has dried, 60 days from now, it will be officially scored. There’s a good chance it will measure out with a net score of about 235 inches.

“The main beams — as far as my research has been able to come up with — are the longest main beams ever recorded on any deer in history,” [taxidermist Rick] Busse said. “Seeing a deer with main beams over 30 inches is rare. And I think the record is 33½. These are both over 34½.”

from ckRich wrote 4 years 19 weeks ago

Now that is one heck of a deer! And I've got an old T/C System 1 like he was shootin, so maybe a little of that luck will run with that model of gun....

from Koldkut wrote 4 years 19 weeks ago

Seeing as many "record" deer as we've seen this year has me thinking. Why just now are we seeing a surge in large bucks? Lack of hunters allowing animals to grow larger. Or possibly something more troublesome, like the fish below the boulder water treatment plant changing sex over synthetic hormones......Not that they would change sex, but is there something in the water that is causeing this, maybe an overabundance of food plots being planted and the commercialization of legal pre-season baiting?

from ckRich wrote 4 years 19 weeks ago

Its called QDM. It's good stuff, and more hunters are beggining to practice it.

from buckhunter wrote 4 years 19 weeks ago

That is truely a whopper buck. I live in Ohio and all the buzz has been about a 300+ incher shot opening week of bow season. Anyone else hear of this buck?

from buckhunter wrote 4 years 19 weeks ago

Oh, by the way koldcut. My opinion to the larger bucks being harvested in Ohio is attributed to the increase in the amount of safe zones created for deer. A safe zone is a large parcel of land where no one can hunt. These large parcels are usually close to town or within city limits but ever more increasing these safe zones are farms where the farmers no longer allow hunters. I live in Ohio and hunt close to many of these "safe zones". Bucks are able to grow much older but they are the not wise old bucks that have dodged hunters for years.

Ohio soil is not conducive to a meaningful food plots and 99% of bait is eaten by does.

from Nels36 wrote 4 years 19 weeks ago

Is there going to be a picture of this amazing deer? I am from Ohio and would like to see it.

from Koldkut wrote 4 years 19 weeks ago

Nels36, it's in the news article linked above the story excerpts.

from jeffo52284 wrote 4 years 19 weeks ago

this deer is unreal it loots like they blew up a regular deers antlers and photo shopped them in. amazing deer congrats

from bjohnston wrote 4 years 19 weeks ago

That is a BIG deer! I'm not sure I would have left for lunch. Way to go!

from Douglas wrote 4 years 19 weeks ago

ckRich,
I too have one of those TC Black Diamonds. Hope your right and the mojo spreads to us!

from MLH wrote 4 years 19 weeks ago

Up until I left Ohio for Michigan (1979) we rarely heard of and never saw whitetails. Now they are all over. Went to southern Ohio for Thanksgiving. The bucks people are taking there now is mindblowing. What a great looking buck.

from prairieghost wrote 4 years 19 weeks ago

fine, well & good. PICTURES? ! ? ! ?

from 86Ram wrote 4 years 19 weeks ago

Congrats... Ohio seems to be a place I may want to hunt atleast once in my lifetime. Along with Alaska.

from Big O wrote 4 years 19 weeks ago

Dang, I was hoping it was buckhunter that got this one !

from Dave Hurteau wrote 4 years 18 weeks ago

I figured you'd want pictures. That's why I've been on the phone with the hunter these last couple of days. Brian Stephens is a heck of nice guy who has agreed to share his story and his many pictures of this incredible buck. I'll be posting a photo gallery soon. So keep an eye on the home page.

from stephensbuck wrote 4 years 18 weeks ago

I hope the T/C gods are with all of you fellow T/C Dlack Diamond hunters.

from BrigMarine wrote 4 years 18 weeks ago

big beams

from Bobby Nash wrote 4 years 17 weeks ago

Great Job Brian!

Through my 20+ years of whitetail hunting here in Illinois, the ups and downs can be both extremely rewarding and sometimes very deflating. Your emotional story and family hunting history are ones that excite hunters like me across the planet. It is funny how all of us know, respect and acknowledge thanks to our piers and spirits when situations such as this rise upon us. Very cool to say the least!

Enjoy every minute of it! You have set a new bench mark in history that all of us die hard hunters will attempt to achieve.

from oakmar wrote 4 years 16 weeks ago

I run a trk to ohio 4 days a week and just in Nov. seen a buck that was a non typ. A 6 pt. about a 22in. spread and the brow tines were 6in. or so the G2's were about12,13in. and nothing else other than main antler that stretched out another 15 or so in"s was waiting to hear of this non typ. to be advertised! it was approx. mile marker 184 of the ohio TP which is the area of (bedford)

from ckRich wrote 4 years 19 weeks ago

Its called QDM. It's good stuff, and more hunters are beggining to practice it.

from buckhunter wrote 4 years 19 weeks ago

from MLH wrote 4 years 19 weeks ago

from ckRich wrote 4 years 19 weeks ago

from buckhunter wrote 4 years 19 weeks ago

from Koldkut wrote 4 years 19 weeks ago

Nels36, it's in the news article linked above the story excerpts.

from bjohnston wrote 4 years 19 weeks ago

That is a BIG deer! I'm not sure I would have left for lunch. Way to go!

from Douglas wrote 4 years 19 weeks ago

ckRich,

from Koldkut wrote 4 years 19 weeks ago

from Nels36 wrote 4 years 19 weeks ago

from jeffo52284 wrote 4 years 19 weeks ago

from prairieghost wrote 4 years 19 weeks ago

fine, well & good. PICTURES? ! ? ! ?

from Bobby Nash wrote 4 years 17 weeks ago

Great Job Brian!

from 86Ram wrote 4 years 19 weeks ago

from Big O wrote 4 years 19 weeks ago

Dang, I was hoping it was buckhunter that got this one !

from Dave Hurteau wrote 4 years 18 weeks ago

from stephensbuck wrote 4 years 18 weeks ago

I hope the T/C gods are with all of you fellow T/C Dlack Diamond hunters.

from BrigMarine wrote 4 years 18 weeks ago