Merwin: The Fried Fish Debate

The Lateral Line

January 28, 2009

Merwin: The Fried Fish Debate

By John Merwin

Crappie
Photo by John Merwin

Crappies are arguably America's most popular gamefish, even more than bass. I love catching them, but even more love to eat them. It was on today's date a few years ago that my wife and I were catching a mess of crappies like this one down in Florida.

We spent several evenings down there cooking fillets in various ways to see which we liked best. Beer batter was the winner. And we also talked about whether we liked eating crappies better than walleyes.

Crispy fried walleye fillets for lunch on the shore of a northern lake are about as good as it gets in the eating department. But I sometimes think crappies are even better. What gets your vote?

from buckhunter wrote 5 years 11 weeks ago

Any fish cooked where it is caught has got my vote. Trout in the mountians or walleye on the shoreline can't be beat.

On the occassion I take fish home they usually go in the smoker.

Beer batted fish is good dipped in viniger.

from buckhunter wrote 5 years 11 weeks ago

It's good in "vinegar" too!

Sorry, I'm at work and can only make short not very well thought out comments.

from Charley wrote 5 years 11 weeks ago

I love fishing and will do t all day, every day if given the chance, but I just don't like eating fish very much. However, both crappie and walleye are fish that I can like on occasion. I like tempura batter with montreal steak seasoning in it.
I recently discovered how good wiper can taste, and I think it beats both walleye and crappie.

from MichCityDDS wrote 5 years 11 weeks ago

Crappies? Wipers? Dudes, eat the king of skillet fish, and that is BLUEGILLS!

from MichCityDDS wrote 5 years 11 weeks ago

Crappies? Wipers? Dudes, eat the king of skillet fish, and that is BLUEGILLS!

from wandering owl wrote 5 years 11 weeks ago

Walleye or perch shore lunch, or trout right next to the stream. I'll crowd the pan with a blugills, too.

from wandering owl wrote 5 years 11 weeks ago

Walleye or perch shore lunch, or trout right next to the stream. I'll crowd the pan with bluegills,too.

from wandering owl wrote 5 years 11 weeks ago

from Chris Carpenter wrote 5 years 11 weeks ago

My favorite way to eat fried fish is fish tacos being a Hispanic and all. Go figure.

from Tim Platt wrote 5 years 11 weeks ago

Crappie are better than Walleye but my favorite is the Catfish... cut up in small pieces and deep fried ohhhh man it makes me hungry just thinking about it.

from Tim Platt wrote 5 years 11 weeks ago

I've heard of fish tacos but I thought you just licked them... or am I thinking of something else?

from troutrageous1 wrote 5 years 11 weeks ago

Whoa Dr. Ralph :)

I'm an equal opportunity fish fryer. Doesn't matter to me, but if at all possible must be accompanied by hush puppies...mmmm...

from Jim Pettit wrote 5 years 11 weeks ago

Good ol' fresh-caught Florida Bay snook, filleted and sauteed on a Hibachi at the end of the pier at sunset and served with a cold bottle of brew. Oh, man...

from Joe_Cermele wrote 5 years 11 weeks ago

The good Doctor is rowdy today.

You ask me, a well-seasoned batter makes any fish taste pretty good.

I'd be curious to hear from you guys, and JM, what you would choose if you could only, say, broil the fish? Take the batter away and I think you actually taste the fish more.

from buckhunter wrote 5 years 11 weeks ago

Joe?? It'll just taste like fish then!

from buckhunter wrote 5 years 11 weeks ago

Sorry. couldn't resist. I forgot about our salt water options. I'd say orange roughy would be my choice. Maybe with a glass of wine. After that grouper. My favorite fresh water "catch and cook" fish would have to be the walleye.

from BamaCreekBum wrote 5 years 11 weeks ago

Crappie is definately my favorite. I also love catfish, bluegill, and sauger. (Not many walleyes in Alabama)

from peter wrote 5 years 11 weeks ago

crappies are fun to catch and eat but i like trout

from Alex Pernice th... wrote 5 years 11 weeks ago

You can beer batter anything and its good.

-2 Good Comment? | | Report
from Alex Pernice th... wrote 5 years 11 weeks ago

You can beer batter anything and its good.

-2 Good Comment? | | Report
from alabamahunter wrote 5 years 11 weeks ago

While Alex has a point, yall are missing out. When my grandmother was still able to cook a large meal my granddad and I would go catch about 50 "squealer" catfish. While I understand "squealer" is a regional term, it is used to describe a catfish that is a 1/2lb. or less. They get that name because of the noises they make when you are unhooking them. Anyway, after catching them we would immediately return home and clean all of them. The catch here was that they ABSOLUTELY could not be filleted. It ruins the taste and waste perfectly good meat. As soon as we were through cleaning them my grandmother would heat up the oil and get to frying. Alongside homemade hush puppies and fries, it was good enough that folks from all around would commit suicide due to the fact there wasn't enough to go around.

Crappie is good, but not as good as squealer catfish in my book. I've never had walleye, so I am not qualified to say that catfish is absolutely the best of any fried fish.

from alabamahunter wrote 5 years 11 weeks ago

Bream are good too!

from TheEasternShore... wrote 5 years 11 weeks ago

Fresh walleye is pretty good.

from Jim in Mo wrote 5 years 11 weeks ago

When your out fishing and camping your limited on supplies. Fortunatly, crappie doesn't need a gormet chef to make it the Best fish dinner (and I always talk of my love for trout and catfish). Just make a double layer of foil, some lemon juice and butter, and lay seasoned crappy on foil folded. Put it on grill back side of fire. Oh man, Oh man! I've had people who swore they hated fish admit that's good.

from Jim in Mo wrote 5 years 11 weeks ago

alabamahunter, bream are excellent but I don't see much difference than bluegill. When I go visit friends in Ark. they talk of bream we're eating and I'm thinking 'gills.
EasternShore, walleye is better than 'pretty good'. I can't make a gourmet's opinion because I never catch enough around here but I love what I've ate.

from Jim in Mo wrote 5 years 11 weeks ago

on-line editors,
Please send young Alex something to test so he'll quit posting double/triple BS posts just to get points.

from Jim in Mo wrote 5 years 11 weeks ago

I wish I could make homemade Hush Puppies like I ate when I lived in N. Carolina. Never had nothing like them since.

from JTC wrote 5 years 11 weeks ago

Crappie are good any way you cook them. All you have to do is batter them, then toss them in a deep fryer. I've cleaned the bones of many fish cooked in this style.

from YooperRyan wrote 5 years 11 weeks ago

True, walleye and crappie both make for excellent table fish when properly prepared; I'd call it a tie, but a pan fried trout fresh from the river has to be a mighty close second.

from alabamahunter wrote 5 years 11 weeks ago

Jim, bream around here includes bluegill, shellcracker, and a couple other lesser known species of panfish. To me they all taste the same, which is fine since they are absolutely delicous. Sorry for the miscommunication.

I'm also with Jim about Alex. My goodness, how can you have so much time to spend on here? Wish I could spend that kind of time on any particular website.

from MLH wrote 5 years 11 weeks ago

Crappie, walleye, bluegills, lake perch - to me they are equals battered and fried. Best fish I ever had was a big sardine broiled until it was black in a little two floor restaurant in Swansea, Wales. That was over 10-years ago and I still savor it. Closer to home, broiled or grilled fresh coho.

Do you pronounce it 'cro-pee or 'krap-ee? While I'm a it - ra-'pa-la, 'rap-a-la, or 'ra-pa-la?

from frontboards_to_... wrote 5 years 11 weeks ago

I definetly agree with MichCityDDS, bluegill are easy to catch large numbers of them, and no matter how many you catch theres always tons more left in the water. Dont get me wrong I love catching crappie and other fish (have yet to go walleye fishing) but i have just always thought of them as more of a game fish and not a plate fish if you know what im sayin.

from hunt_fish_sleep wrote 5 years 11 weeks ago

The fry chart goes like this:
1. Bluegill
2. Walleye/Perch
3. Mahi Mahi
4. Crappie
5. Catfish
6. Trout/Salmon

from Joe_Cermele wrote 5 years 11 weeks ago

Krap-Pee...Ra-pa-la

from Del in KS wrote 5 years 11 weeks ago

I would rather hunt than fish anyday but would also rather eat fish than game (except Quail!!).

From salt water there is nothing better than fried Alaskan Ling Cod. Hard to get but even better than Halibut and much better than the Cod in seafood shops. Fresh water I gotta go with Walleye, Crappie (Speckled Perch in Central Fla.), Bluegills and small Channel cats in that order. Dang, now I'm gonna have to thaw some fish for lunch tomorrow.

from dwaynez wrote 5 years 11 weeks ago

I would have to say Crappie, I think it goes back to catching them as a child and having my dad and grandad fry them up with a good beer batter or pancake style batter. We also would clean them and cook them right on the lake shore while camping out, fish always tastes better when you cook it where you caught it.

from dwaynez wrote 5 years 11 weeks ago

I would also have to put catfish up there as well, I have sampled lots of different fish, but catfish rank up there as well, the fresher the fish the better it tastes.

from johnmerwin wrote 5 years 11 weeks ago

Joe, to answer your question, most of my batters are unseasoned so there's no flavor distraction (or addition) from the fish. The great advantage of deep-frying with batter is that the fish becomes sealed in a batter shell, where it cooks evenly by steaming while the outside batter is frying.
Broiling can be good as long as the cut of fish isn't too thick. If it is too thick, the outside will be cooked before the inside. Some cuts that can be broiled--swordfish, for example--I'd rather grill. I do sometimes broil FRESH bluefish fillets surface-coated with mayonnaise. Cooks in 5 to 10 minutes and tastes great.

from Minnetonkan wrote 5 years 11 weeks ago

Sunnies(bluegill or pumpkinseed) and crappies can't be beat for a quick shore lunch. Walleye and northerns for dinner. Crunching on the nicely seasoned sunfish tails always brings back great childhood memories.

from woofbarkenarf wrote 5 years 11 weeks ago

In my humble opinion,the keyword here is FRESH!
The shorelunch has the charm of freshness, and the best seasoning of all...wait for it...here it comes...HUNGER!

Whether you are grilling Apache Trout over mesquite coals in the mountains of Arizona, pan frying small catfish beside a river in Missouri, deep frying Walleye fillets by a lake in South Dakota,or cooking the whole Smallmouth (gutted but skin on) directly on the coals of a small trail fire, you get the ambience,the satisfaction,the primitive pleasure that dates back to the dawn of man.

I wish I hadn't skipped breakfast now.

from woofbarkenarf wrote 5 years 11 weeks ago

Buckhunter,

Would that be Malt Vinegar? MMMM

from woofbarkenarf wrote 5 years 11 weeks ago

Minnetonkan,

I'm with ya on the crunchy fish tails...that was the "dessert" part of the panfried catfish!

from buckhunter wrote 5 years 11 weeks ago

You got it Woof!

from streack wrote 5 years 11 weeks ago

While all of the above fish are good eating, they are no where close to a freshly arrowed carp that was swiming next to the water treatment plant's discharge pipe. The only bad thing about them is making sure you don't trip over and old tire, catch your ankle in a rusty matress spring, or cut your foot on a broken bottle while trying to retrieve them. Another good place to find them is they hole up behind a hot water tank, it breaks the current providing them a nice place to rest.

from theyounggun wrote 5 years 11 weeks ago

Gills and Crappies are perfect when you have a big fish fry at the end of a great day of ice fishing. But, when you got a walleye/perch/trout or anykinda trip. The shorelunches can't be beat.

from wsimien wrote 5 years 11 weeks ago

Its hard to go wrong with any fish "deep fried" especially with a little hot sauce. My vote is Crappie over Walley. But Walley is a close second. I also think crappie are more fun and easy to catch then Walley for the less experienced angle or fishing with the family.

from fishjay40 wrote 5 years 10 weeks ago

This hits right at home for me and my fishing experiences. Just last week a buddy of mine went with me and caught a mess of these fish, and we enjoyed every bite of them. I wouldn't have them any way, but fried. I also find that experimenting with the spices, and adding a little "this and that" always makes for a little different flavor than the time before. By doing this you can stumble across that future "secret family recipe".

from Scott in Ohio wrote 5 years 10 weeks ago

Walleye #1

Malt vinegar best seasoning on fried fish.

Even better stream- or lake-side.

from Jim in Mo wrote 5 years 10 weeks ago

Still can't see how anyone would deep fry anything but catfish or 'rough' fish. Crappie, walleye, gills etc., have their own unique flavor that isn't covered up by frying. Its lightly broiled or preferably grilled in foil over an open fire for me. Just my personal taste.
Good eating gents.

from stilloutoffocus wrote 5 years 10 weeks ago

walleye is good but the best fish i ever had was fresh bluegill sauted in butter and herbs with just a touch of lemon. mmmmm mmmmmm

from Jim in Mo wrote 5 years 10 weeks ago

stillout, boy add a few frog legs and a cold bud and its heaven on earth.

from J4huntfish wrote 3 years 12 weeks ago

1. fresh canadien walleye on the shore
2. crappie caught fresh and cooked on the shore
3. catfish fresh from the pond
4. mahi mahi grilled with butter and herbs and lemon

from lakenapa wrote 3 years 10 weeks ago

Love Crappie and Walleye. Crappie is the easier fish to get in my area, so they have my vote. Crappie it is.

from buckhunter wrote 5 years 11 weeks ago

On the occassion I take fish home they usually go in the smoker.

Beer batted fish is good dipped in viniger.

from Jim in Mo wrote 5 years 11 weeks ago

6. Trout/Salmon

from Minnetonkan wrote 5 years 11 weeks ago

from woofbarkenarf wrote 5 years 11 weeks ago

Minnetonkan,

from wsimien wrote 5 years 11 weeks ago

from buckhunter wrote 5 years 11 weeks ago

It's good in "vinegar" too!

Sorry, I'm at work and can only make short not very well thought out comments.

from wandering owl wrote 5 years 11 weeks ago

from Chris Carpenter wrote 5 years 11 weeks ago

from Tim Platt wrote 5 years 11 weeks ago

from Tim Platt wrote 5 years 11 weeks ago

from troutrageous1 wrote 5 years 11 weeks ago

Whoa Dr. Ralph :)

from Jim Pettit wrote 5 years 11 weeks ago

from Joe_Cermele wrote 5 years 11 weeks ago

The good Doctor is rowdy today.

You ask me, a well-seasoned batter makes any fish taste pretty good.

from buckhunter wrote 5 years 11 weeks ago

Joe?? It'll just taste like fish then!

from buckhunter wrote 5 years 11 weeks ago

from peter wrote 5 years 11 weeks ago

crappies are fun to catch and eat but i like trout

from alabamahunter wrote 5 years 11 weeks ago

from alabamahunter wrote 5 years 11 weeks ago

Bream are good too!

from TheEasternShore... wrote 5 years 11 weeks ago

Fresh walleye is pretty good.

from JTC wrote 5 years 11 weeks ago

from YooperRyan wrote 5 years 11 weeks ago

from alabamahunter wrote 5 years 11 weeks ago

from MLH wrote 5 years 11 weeks ago

from frontboards_to_... wrote 5 years 11 weeks ago

from Joe_Cermele wrote 5 years 11 weeks ago

Krap-Pee...Ra-pa-la

from Del in KS wrote 5 years 11 weeks ago

from dwaynez wrote 5 years 11 weeks ago

from dwaynez wrote 5 years 11 weeks ago

from woofbarkenarf wrote 5 years 11 weeks ago

In my humble opinion,the keyword here is FRESH!

I wish I hadn't skipped breakfast now.

from woofbarkenarf wrote 5 years 11 weeks ago

Buckhunter,

Would that be Malt Vinegar? MMMM

from buckhunter wrote 5 years 11 weeks ago

You got it Woof!

from streack wrote 5 years 11 weeks ago

from theyounggun wrote 5 years 11 weeks ago

from fishjay40 wrote 5 years 10 weeks ago

from Scott in Ohio wrote 5 years 10 weeks ago

Walleye #1

Malt vinegar best seasoning on fried fish.

Even better stream- or lake-side.

from Jim in Mo wrote 5 years 10 weeks ago

Good eating gents.

from stilloutoffocus wrote 5 years 10 weeks ago

from Jim in Mo wrote 5 years 10 weeks ago

stillout, boy add a few frog legs and a cold bud and its heaven on earth.

from MichCityDDS wrote 5 years 11 weeks ago

Crappies? Wipers? Dudes, eat the king of skillet fish, and that is BLUEGILLS!

from MichCityDDS wrote 5 years 11 weeks ago

Crappies? Wipers? Dudes, eat the king of skillet fish, and that is BLUEGILLS!

from wandering owl wrote 5 years 11 weeks ago

from wandering owl wrote 5 years 11 weeks ago

from J4huntfish wrote 3 years 12 weeks ago

1. fresh canadien walleye on the shore
2. crappie caught fresh and cooked on the shore
3. catfish fresh from the pond
4. mahi mahi grilled with butter and herbs and lemon

from lakenapa wrote 3 years 10 weeks ago

from Alex Pernice th... wrote 5 years 11 weeks ago

You can beer batter anything and its good.

-2 Good Comment? | | Report
from Alex Pernice th... wrote 5 years 11 weeks ago

You can beer batter anything and its good.

-2 Good Comment? | | Report