Cermele: Are Marlin The Most Dangerous Fish?

The Lateral Line

April 16, 2009

Cermele: Are Marlin The Most Dangerous Fish?

By Joe Cermele

We've talked a lot in the past about the dangers of shark fishing. While lots of people have close calls boating threshers and makos, you don't often hear stories that result in hospitalization or bloodshed. I'd say that's because while sharks may have a mouth full of teeth, those teeth don't extend four feet out in front of their heads.

Marlin, on the other hand, need but thrash or jump, swinging that needle-nose around and damage to boats and anglers becomes relatively common. Take the photo above. That man is getting speared through the back by hot blue marlin that decided to fly over the transom during the fight. If you need more proof, I suggest you check out this gallery I just put together of seven marlin attack videos, including the one from which I grabbed the still shot you see here.

But I warn you: some of these videos are not pretty, so watch at your own risk.

Now I give plenty of credit to catfish noodlers who get cut up by fin spines and the occasional muskie man that gets a clamp-down on his hand. But you tell me what's more dangerous than a marlin coming into the boat at warp speed?

JC

from buckhunter wrote 5 years 2 days ago

I'm am glad that everyone is OK in the videos and I hope I'm not the only one who laughed when the old guy got pulled off the back of the boat.

I mainly fish in Ohio where the biggest danger is actually eating the fish.

from j-johnson17 wrote 5 years 2 days ago

I've seen some crazy videos and pictures from marlin fishing "adventures." Marlin are a dangerous fish for sure, but I'd really like to catch one anyway...!

from jbird wrote 5 years 2 days ago

Wow! Cool videos. I'd love to do it sometime.

from alabamahunter wrote 5 years 2 days ago

I for one, nominate the redbreasted sunfish as the most dangerous fish in the world. They are just so tasty, the next thing you know you've devoured ten of them along with fries and hush puppies. Then, if you're lucky, you wake up in the hospital recovering from emergency bypass.

from shane wrote 5 years 2 days ago

I think you're right, they get the title. I've seen some tarpon wham some people, but they don't have a javelin on their face.

from streack wrote 5 years 1 day ago

Those are some stunning videos.

from TheEasternShore... wrote 5 years 14 hours ago

yea completeley

from Long Run Fishin... wrote 5 years 13 hours ago

Joe...awesome vids. Marlin are indeed dangerous but put the Coney Island Whitefish on the list, LOL....something I would not tangle with, even with a hook-out tool.

from Colorado Samurai wrote 4 years 52 weeks ago

I would tend to say that billfish in general are dangerous to catch. The obvious reason, the pointy end of their sword.

from FloridaHunter1226 wrote 4 years 52 weeks ago

I think you got it right. Nothing beats a marlin jumping out of the water and into the boat. There is no way of controlling an animal like that. I think I would deffinantly need a change of briefs if that was to ever happen to me.

from buckhunter wrote 5 years 2 days ago

I mainly fish in Ohio where the biggest danger is actually eating the fish.

from j-johnson17 wrote 5 years 2 days ago

from jbird wrote 5 years 2 days ago

Wow! Cool videos. I'd love to do it sometime.

from alabamahunter wrote 5 years 2 days ago

from shane wrote 5 years 2 days ago

from streack wrote 5 years 1 day ago

Those are some stunning videos.

from TheEasternShore... wrote 5 years 14 hours ago