Cermele: Dropping The Hammer (Again)

The Lateral Line

May 07, 2009

Cermele: Dropping The Hammer (Again)

By Joe Cermele

In May of 2006, I got lucky. I happened to be on a boat in Florida's Boca Grande Pass tarpon fishing when my guide got a call that a local captain and friend of his had just sunk the first gaff in a hammerhead shark that all onboard believed was a world record. The beast was hooked in the Pass, but had dragged the boat 12 miles out into the Gulf. I was one of only two people to get photos of the fish on the water. This shot is one of them.

Sure enough, Captain Bucky Dennis, a self-proclaimed record chaser, had indeed bested a world record. The hammerhead tipped the scales at 1,280 pounds. News stations, magazines, and the Internet buzzed with excitement...until it was learned that a lot of the weight came from the 55 pups in the shark's belly. So lo and behold, who do I see on the news this morning but Captain Bucky Dennis, standing by a crane and hoisting yet another giant hammerhead. By the look of the gut, she's loaded with pups, too.

Now, Bucky isn't a bad guy, and I enjoy shark fishing very much myself, but this shark is not a new all-tackle world record, and hammerheads are not food fish. On top of all that, there are so many in the Pass during tarpon season, it's not a particular challenge to hook them. It's just that no one but Bucky seems interested in bothering. I gave him props the first time around, but now I just need to say, "dude...stop it already! What's the point?" What say you?

JC

from Steven9253 wrote 4 years 49 weeks ago

I personally don't see the problem if its legal. Maybe he just enjoys the thrill of catching something that big that could do serious harm. But I have a question, do people fish for salmon when they are loaded with eggs and if so can they keep them or do they have to throw them back? My point is you seem to have more a problem with it being pregnant than the just catching of the fish. I think its the same thing if you do it to sharks, bass, or crappie.

from Joe_Cermele wrote 4 years 49 weeks ago

Steve...all good points. Certainly there's nothing illegal about the catch. I'm not even saying you shouldn't chase them for fun, but it seems to me that it's a media stunt. Since he caught the first one, he knew he'd get on the news again.

from hal herring wrote 4 years 49 weeks ago

A few years ago, a neighbor of ours was talking about he and his friends had killed over a dozen timber rattlers on alittle peice of hunting property they'd bought and built a cabin on. I grew up not far below the place, and seeing a rattler - yellow-phase alot of them, one of the world's most beautiful snakes- was always a big deal. I asked the guy, "If you were standing over what you knew was the last timber rattler on earth, would you chop off its head?" He just said "there are plenty of 'em."

from snuffy wrote 4 years 49 weeks ago

Big difference between sharks and salmon!!!~ Sharks take yrs to reach sexual maturity, don't deliver as many young and harvesting the second fish is unforgivable!!! Even the first ticked me off! Killing that shark, just to get your name in a book!!!! There's no issue catching them but unless they're going to be table fare isn't killing it pointless if you already hold the record????
Same thing with tarpon why kill them if you're not eating them. Sharks are already over fished and the population of many species is in danger as a result of finning.

from Steven9253 wrote 4 years 49 weeks ago

Snuffy and Joe I agree and the salmon shark reference wasn't the most thought out. I guess I just see it as some dude who has a complex or something wrong where he feels the need to do this. I think its the same thing as these people who pay a lot of money to go shoot a deer or elk with a monstrous rack even if its fenced in.

from hal herring wrote 4 years 49 weeks ago

I got another one. 23 years ago I was on a long line boat fishing swordfish in the Gulf. A giant mako was following us, and eating the swordfish, which were of course, worth a whole lot of money. All makos are apparently obsessed with swordies, can't leave them alone. We were losing, big time, burning fuel, out seven days, huge outlays in bait, ice, tackle, etc. Our mainline and spool was not anywhere near big enough to catch the mako- it had already been reversed, on that trip, by a big thresher that, after a wild battle we did manage to kill and butcher in the water and get a couple hundred pounds of the meat in the ice holds.
We had one of the first Ruger Ranch rifles, the 14s, .223 that we'd used on the thresher, and kept for self defense (this was the height of the square grouper days). My captain, a good man in every way, asked us what we should do. We were a bare bones outfit, only three men on the boat. The dang mako was hanging with us, passing under the boat a couple feet under water like a giant blue monster, then it would get in these rollers and come sailing down, right there, close enough to touch- or shoot with the .223. We had been watching this creature for three days or so, reeling in swordfish heads.
Did we want to shoot it, even though there was no way to get it in the boat? Everybody said, No way. It would be a spit in the face of creation, and it might jinx us forever.
We deadheaded up nine miles or so of gear and ran for the next set, far away. We didn't see that mako again.

There is not a second of my life since that I have not been glad we didn't shoot that fish.

from Happy Myles wrote 4 years 49 weeks ago

Cermele,

The shark is interesting, but how was the Tarpon fishing? Boca Grande is one of my favorite "fishin holes". Yes, I'm a closet fisherman. I don't just hunt in Africa as some seem to think.

from chadlove wrote 4 years 49 weeks ago

Hal, a number of years ago I drew out on a bonus archery hunt in far eastern Oklahoma. On the scout day we got there early and as I was walking along a ridge I happened upon a big, mature timber rattler coiled up in the trail warming itself.
I just sat there and watched it for a good while before moving on down the ridge. It was, and remains, the most beautiful snake I've ever seen.
But then again, I have an affinity for despised animals...

from Joe_Cermele wrote 4 years 49 weeks ago

Myles,

The fishing was good, but the Pass is not my favorite place to chase them. Too deep, too swift and too narrow. Wrenching up a huge fish on heavy gear, and trying to do it fast before a shark kills the tarpon, was more stressful than enjoyable. Especially, with 100 boats out there trying to avoid collisions. My best tarpon experience to date was in Costa Rica.

from Buckscounty wrote 4 years 49 weeks ago

Capt. Bucky needs to give it up. Killing any kind of big shark anymore is a bad idea.

from troutrageous1 wrote 4 years 49 weeks ago

From the title, I was hoping you'd be making a reference to a classic Greg Valentine vs. Tito Santana or JYD match, oh well...

I guess as it relates to the shark guy above, as long as what he does is legal, I have no issues with it. People like to look at pictures of big fish, that's why the media follows it. Some folks require drugs, alcohol, etc - to feel good about themselves and get through the day. If his ego/mental state requires the manufactured adulation that comes from catching these fish, so be it.

from ken.mcloud wrote 4 years 49 weeks ago

We have been having a similar debate in the "questions" section about hunting.

I was always taught "you kill it, you eat it".

Not to romanticize it too much, but I think of it in the same vane of how the Native Americans would thank their prey for its life and then use every possible part of the body. Its out of respect for the animal who just gave its life for you.

Especially with fishing, the idea of catching a fish, pulling it into the boat, killing it, and then just letting it rot sickens me in a profound way. Especially when you could have just as easily let it go.

However there are many people who disagree with me and shoot animals and then do nothing with the body. I suspect this captain has a similar attitude.

from texasfirst wrote 4 years 49 weeks ago

Ethics, comrades, ethics!

from Mattsouthwood7 wrote 4 years 49 weeks ago

I dont think our "right and wrong" decision making should be based on what any government says is legal. We all, I hope, have some kind of moral and ethical conscience. Just because something is permissible doesnt mean it is beneficial.

from FloridaHunter1226 wrote 4 years 49 weeks ago

I am one to hunt and fish for meat, not the trophy... so hunting for something that is not edible does not make much sense to me. I also do not get the urge to catch a hammerhead shark. I mean look at the boat they are pulling him in on! The shark is almost bigger than the boat. But for me, I would want to keep the shark as far away as possible... not realling him in on a line, that is kinda like looking for trouble. But just because I do not do it and do not understand it does not mean I am against it. Just like all animals, there needs to be some population control, so I guess this is just one of the ways of doing so. Maybe revenge for all the tarpon fishermen who loose tarpon every year to hammerheads...

from Steven9253 wrote 4 years 49 weeks ago

Matt I agree it is ultimately up to everyone as individuals to make the right and ethical decisions.

I am curious though how this is different than predator "control". We as humans do a lot to justify and put down things that are fairly similar. While the fact that the shark is pregnant is sad I don't know what the difference between her and coyote is. How do you feel about hunting things such as coyote, fox and even bear, do you take part in these hunts? To even break it down further would be to say, why do we even need to fish or hunt? We can purchase meat and fish and there isn't a real need for it. But we do it because it is what we love and its about more than food in the freezer. It is something you can't buy, that feeling you get spending time in nature.

from Mike Diehl wrote 4 years 49 weeks ago

I think he ought to eat that shark if he's gonna haul it in. If he's just gonna waste it, I'd prefer the shark to eat him.

from buckhunter wrote 4 years 49 weeks ago

If everyone caught tarpon and no one caught hammerheads then...

from 2Poppa wrote 4 years 49 weeks ago

That's a great still photo Joe,it captures the essence of a whopper! :}}}

from jbird wrote 4 years 49 weeks ago

Lots of good points. It's too bad he can't weigh the fish on the boat and release it if it's not a record. Not real practical when fishing hammerheads I know. Hopefully he can donate the 2nd one to research too, or do something useful w/it.

from ken.mcloud wrote 4 years 49 weeks ago

Florida hunter-

I take particular exception to one thing you said:

"Just like all animals, there needs to be some population control"

This is a profoundly flawed notion that many sportsmen share with you. I assure you, nature controlled itself just fine for the 4.5 billion years before we humans showed up.

Now, before Clay jumps in here with his kaibab links, In many systems we have exterminated predators. In these systems there is no longer any mechanism to keep the herbivores from overgrazing and causing biodiversity to plummet.

These, and only these, are the only situation where sportsmen need to consider themselves "population controllers". Also, please take note that this scenario does not apply to "predator control" at all, as they are limited by the population of their prey species.

All that being said, this is not an anti-hunting or an anti-fishing position. Harvests can be managed so that they only take the "excess" population before winter-kill brings the population back down to carrying capacity, thus the population level is the same as if there were no sportsmen at all.

from kirkdeeter wrote 4 years 49 weeks ago

Well... over on a certain other F&S blog not long ago, I wrote a piece slamming "Death by Camera" ethics among some anglers... and I've waited all day to chime in on this one... but if this isn't the most extreme, brainless, gutless, heartless example of such egomania... I don't know what is. (Thanks for having the chutzpah and insight to make it a topic, JC.) Legality has nothing to do with it. This is, flat out, exploitation in the name of publicity and testosterone. It shines no positive light on skill nor accomplishment... only compromised ethics by a guide who should, frankly, know better. Especially in that area. Maybe he has the last laugh... we're talking about it, after all. But in the end, it's disgusting. Nothing more.

from hnestle wrote 4 years 49 weeks ago

Legal or not. If you aren't going to eat it don't kill it. Catch and release or cook and serve.

from JB wrote 4 years 49 weeks ago

While I have no objection to trying to get that trophy or the world record in fishing or hunting for that matter, it can create a significate misnomer about the sport and what we are all out there doing. With the first shark he caught he removed not one shark but the potential of 56 sharks in one catch. While all the pups may not have become adults still to turn around and catch another the next day removing potentially more. There maybe a significant population of sharks but if we look at it for the line of another sporting fish this could be devistaing to the population as a whole. In some ways this can shed a bad light on a sporting fishermen that we are out trophy hunting with no concern for the fish population. Again Don't get me wrong if you've gone out and you have that potential trophy then so be it bring it in, but to turn around and the next day be checking in another fish, bothers me a bit.

from steve182 wrote 4 years 49 weeks ago

There is a big difference between a sportsman and a self- promoter, a Fisherman and a record-chaser, a Hunter and a media-whore. So it's legal, ok. Congratulations. I thought it was common practice among us sportsman to let the big cows go for the good of the fishery, whether it's a Striper full of roe or a shark full of young.

from Armchair Mike wrote 4 years 49 weeks ago

You know, ken.mcloud has a point. We do seem to come back around to this issue repeatedly on both the fishing and hunting blogs. I've never tried hammerhead, but I have eaten shark before, and it's not bad if prepared properly. Handled incorrectly, it is absolutely wretched, and one bad experience put me off it for the time being. There are also legitimate concerns about the dose of mercury one would get from eating a marine super-predator like that one, but the same can be said of giant tuna. I catch small sharks when surfcasting, and yes, I pull the hook loose when I can or I cut the leader when one swallows the whole thing. Whatever meal they would make is offset to me by the trouble in dealing with the pointy end and preparing the meat. We have some good sized hammerheads here in the Gulf Shores area, and I think they are majestic creatures. I wouldn't want to wind up on the wrong end of one when snorkeling, but it seems like a waste to me to eliminate one from the breeding population, especially one that is full of young. I don't suspect we'll resolve this issue today or ever, but it speaks to our sense of ethics that we keep having the discussion. As my hunter safety course instructor said too many years ago, outdoor sports are all about ethics and personal responsibility because for the most part, no one is watching.

from towery wrote 4 years 49 weeks ago

I got a question for ya joe! If you already hold the record for this species of shark, why do you keep hunting them? Why not move onto something else? Or do you want to known as the guy that killed all the hammerheads? I just dont get it!!! My grandfather taught me to kill for food not for trophy!! It seems to me you just like to see your face in the papers!!!!

-1 Good Comment? | | Report
from Joe_Cermele wrote 4 years 49 weeks ago

Towery...can't tell if your post is a joke or what, but if not, you need to actually READ THE BLOG before responding my friend. I didn't catch either of those sharks dude.

from muskiemaster wrote 4 years 49 weeks ago

it's one thing when your record is a legal fish like after the shark spawns, and I understand maybe the first one was fine that's only some 50 pups or so but when you go out and do it again just to set a record. I don't agree with doing that twice.

from chuckles wrote 4 years 49 weeks ago

This seems to be another case of a guy who measures himself by the opinions of others. The capture of the shark isn't enough, he must have the recognition of the record. Not only once but twice he has needlessly killed a pregnant animal for attention. Pretty sad for the guy who clearly needs the ego boost of the attention but really sad for two mama sharks.

from nathan.grell wrote 4 years 49 weeks ago

Im with pretty much everyone else, i dont agree with keeping any fish that has eggs/pups in them, ive caught big bass up on their beds during the spawn that i would have loved to hang on my wall but if they have eggs in them they go back in the water regardless of how big they are!

from Joseph Bishop wrote 4 years 49 weeks ago

Bass don't get hung on a wall like that. You can take a picture and take it to a taxidermist and they will set you up.

from towery wrote 4 years 47 weeks ago

I was just fooling around joe let the gaffers know I said nice catch

from Scott in Ohio wrote 4 years 45 weeks ago

I feel it is ethically wrong to kill a species in jeopardy that is full of young. If you keep it you eat it; otherwise, let it swim to be caught another day.

from snuffy wrote 4 years 49 weeks ago

from kirkdeeter wrote 4 years 49 weeks ago

from Steven9253 wrote 4 years 49 weeks ago

from Buckscounty wrote 4 years 49 weeks ago

from Mike Diehl wrote 4 years 49 weeks ago

from Joe_Cermele wrote 4 years 49 weeks ago

from Armchair Mike wrote 4 years 49 weeks ago

from ken.mcloud wrote 4 years 49 weeks ago

We have been having a similar debate in the "questions" section about hunting.

I was always taught "you kill it, you eat it".

from ken.mcloud wrote 4 years 49 weeks ago

Florida hunter-

I take particular exception to one thing you said:

"Just like all animals, there needs to be some population control"

from steve182 wrote 4 years 49 weeks ago

from hal herring wrote 4 years 49 weeks ago

from Steven9253 wrote 4 years 49 weeks ago

from hal herring wrote 4 years 49 weeks ago

from Happy Myles wrote 4 years 49 weeks ago

Cermele,

from chadlove wrote 4 years 49 weeks ago

But then again, I have an affinity for despised animals...

from Joe_Cermele wrote 4 years 49 weeks ago

Myles,

from troutrageous1 wrote 4 years 49 weeks ago

from texasfirst wrote 4 years 49 weeks ago

Ethics, comrades, ethics!

from Mattsouthwood7 wrote 4 years 49 weeks ago

from FloridaHunter1226 wrote 4 years 49 weeks ago

from Steven9253 wrote 4 years 49 weeks ago

from buckhunter wrote 4 years 49 weeks ago

If everyone caught tarpon and no one caught hammerheads then...

from 2Poppa wrote 4 years 49 weeks ago