Ultrasound Makes Catfish Taste Better

Field Notes

June 29, 2009

Ultrasound Makes Catfish Taste Better

By Dave Hurteau

From CleanTechnica:

One solution to the world’s water pollution problems could be something you can’t taste, touch, see, smell, or hear.  Especially hear.  Ultrasound, the range of frequencies beyond the limits of human hearing, is starting to emerge as an effective water treatment that is more sustainable than chemical dosing.  Researchers are discovering that ultrasound performs well on algae, and that’s only the beginning.  Ultrasound can remove a variety of pollutants in water, including those that affect the taste of America’s favorite fish, the catfish.
The USDA has been focusing on reducing off-flavor in catfish, caused by their unique tendency to absorb and express pollutants in their environment.  It’s part of a broader program to improve marketability, which also includes reducing mortality rates in farmed catfish.  Conventional treatment of tanks and ponds consists of substances like diuron, sodium chloride, hydrogen peroxide, titanium dioxide, and copper, but aside from their expense any one of these can lead to a cycle of greater dependency.  So far, the results of ultrasound promise a more sustainable approach.  Researchers at the UDSA’s Stoneville, Mississippi unit found that an ultrasound regimen decreased bacterial biomass by 60% in tanks, without impacting fish growth.  In production ponds, ultrasound also demonstrated an ability to change the density of algae.

from Elmer Fudd wrote 4 years 42 weeks ago

boy can I tell the difference between farm raised and wild-caught catfish!

from jbird wrote 4 years 42 weeks ago

Sounds cool.

from FloridaHunter1226 wrote 4 years 42 weeks ago

You can always tell the difference between farm raised and wild catfish... let's hope to see a change in that in the near future.

from dwaynez wrote 4 years 42 weeks ago

I agree with that, there is a very distinct difference in the taste of farm raised and wild catfish.

I prefer the taste of wild caught vs farm raised.

from Wags wrote 4 years 42 weeks ago

Interesting. I am in the water treatment business, and have worked with Ultrasonic devices in the past. They can work, in very specific circumstances. I was working with them as an alternative to biocide in cooling towers. Some success, but limited in application. I think this is a bit of optimistic reporting, but if not, good on them.

from Elmer Fudd wrote 4 years 42 weeks ago

boy can I tell the difference between farm raised and wild-caught catfish!

from FloridaHunter1226 wrote 4 years 42 weeks ago

from dwaynez wrote 4 years 42 weeks ago

I prefer the taste of wild caught vs farm raised.

from jbird wrote 4 years 42 weeks ago