A Big Croc of...

FlyTalk

July 23, 2009

A Big Croc of...

By Kirk Deeter

I have never considered myself a slave to fashion, least of all when it comes to footwear.  But I can tell you this.  I think Crocs--once the trendy phenomenon, now the embodiment of a sizzle and fizzle flameout product (and company)--are ugly shoes.

In Newsweek last year, Steve Tuttle wrote an insightful plea for Americans to abandon these stupid "clown shoes."  He follows up in the current issue of Newsweek, noting that the company's stock now hovers around $3 after a peak of $75.21.  The CEO is toast.  The company is looking at going bust.

Why?  Because, thankfully, people have realized that the main benefits of Crocs are that they are cheap and have no laces.  Beyond that, they make your feet stink, and they make you look like Bozo on psychedelics, or someone who should probably be wearing a matching rubberized helmet.

But there is one other attribute of Crocs...

They just happen to be about the very best all-purpose boat/deck/fishing shoes on the planet. At least in my experience.  They don't slip.  They don't mark a boat deck.  They're (pretty) comfortable. No problem if they get wet.  And on a boat, when you wear all sorts of other things that buck the fashionista mindset, they aren't even that offensive.

I'll admit, I have Crocs.  White ones.  But I spilled deck stain on them, and didn't care, because now people ask me as if the red blotches are elk blood or something (as if I would butcher an elk in clown shoes... in the winter).

I don't think admitting that is the same as the guy who wears pink shirts to prove he has no problems coming to grips with his masculinity, even though factoring that into your wardrobe really shows otherwise.

So what's it going to be?  Crocs okay or not okay?

A relic, or will they once again be cool when they join the ranks of all the other stuff fishers wear that really isn't cool... but it is functional... so it gets a pass?

Deeter

from buckhunter wrote 4 years 38 weeks ago

I spent all of last week in my crocs. Jumping boulder to boulder fishing small streams in the Sierras and also strapped tight in a pair of fins while float tubing. They worked great however I do wear the lace up model. They fit a little more snug.

When on the water function out weighs fashion.

from Joe_Cermele wrote 4 years 38 weeks ago

Hate the clogs, LOVE Crocs flip-flops. Same great on-the-water attributes of the clown shoes, only not at all dorky. Most comfortable flip-flops ever.

What's worse are the half-Croc, half leather boat shoe deals they are making now (puke!)

from buckeye wrote 4 years 38 weeks ago

I have to admit that I do own a pair of crocs. I held out for years but my wife, who is a nurse, finally talked me into buying a pair. Thay are great for fishing and doning yard work in, but you will never catch me wearing the things out in public.

from weve_25 wrote 4 years 38 weeks ago

I have a pair of gray ones. Back when I had a job I worked as an environmental consultant. We spent most of our days flagging and locating wetlands and streams with GPS. At the end of the day these were the best shoes to change into....
A. They are comfortable. B. because your feet already smelled like the inside of a porta john. C. when you come out of the woods covered in mud and sweat with welts all over you from the yellow jackets nest you got into people aren't really looking at your shoes.

That being said...I don't think that I could EVER bring myself to wear the ones shown in the picture, no matter how comfortable I am with my masculinity.....I would still feel like a fairy.

from tshrefler wrote 4 years 38 weeks ago

Don't own a pair...never will. Do not understand people that will pay $40.00 for some plastic shoes when you could take that same amount of money and get something of better quality.

from Koldkut wrote 4 years 38 weeks ago

tshrefler, it's rumored that the companies downfall is that the shoes last too long.....so no ones needs more than a pair or so. No repeat business.

from muskiemaster wrote 4 years 38 weeks ago

Thank you Deeter for pointing out one of man kind's greatest downfalls the crocs. The first time I ever saw one of those at school I looked at my feet for about five seconds pondered then shook my head and thought of what a clown I'd look like. I thank you for providing me with this great information about the downfall. Although it's never great to see a business fail I never did like these shoes. Maybe they should look into hunting boots with waterproof bottoms and float with the soft gel inside.

from buckhunter wrote 4 years 38 weeks ago

JC,

I find the flip flop style crocs flip water up your back if your walking in ankle deep water.

I think the 1/2 leather crocs are very durable and the most comfortable of the croc line. Granted, all are as ugly as sin.

from Joe_Cermele wrote 4 years 38 weeks ago

Buck, I've never worn those flip-flops while wading, so you may be right. I can't vouch for that. Then again, I feel like I've lost so many flip-flops in the water, I rarely wade in any of them. Even when it's hot in the summer, I'll wear shorts and my Simms boots.

They are great on a wet boat deck, though.

from Sick STi wrote 4 years 38 weeks ago

I've had two pairs, and I seem to leave them outside after fishing and they shrink. Last pair was sitting too close to the sliding glass door and are now about 3 sizes smaller than they were originally. They are awesome for wading, completely awesome.

from jcarlin wrote 4 years 38 weeks ago

Personally, I can't stand footwear that feels like it's going to fall off my feet, particularly when wading. I do think that they missed the boat in not offering these things in a break up pattern. You would probably have a hard time keeping them on the shelves.

from Evan V wrote 4 years 38 weeks ago

Be a man, suck it up, and go barefoot!

from ggmack wrote 4 years 38 weeks ago

don't own a pair, but if you like them go ahead. I can see the draw but i got a pair of topsiders. friends wear them.

from vtbluegrass wrote 4 years 38 weeks ago

I have a pair in realtree camo(yes, I am the one who bought that). I wore the soles out and they are slick as snot on any smooth or wet surface. I don't remember them costing 40 bucks though. I seriously doubt I will buy another pair though. From now on I will stick to my Reef's on dry land, wading boots in the water, and Sperry's in the boat.
On a completely unrelated note I would just like to brag that I caught my first tarpons today. One 80-90lb fish and about 30 minutes after he was landed I got a second one that was a studly 160-170lb. Both were on conventional tackle in the Pamlico Sound in NC. The water visibility is poor but I promise I will try to get one on fly.

from Armchair Mike wrote 4 years 38 weeks ago

Ugly? Yes, but I wear them all the time. They are pretty much indestructible, and they don't stain very badly. They will fly right over the side if you kick them off while under way, so you have to stow them or weight them with something. As for manliness, I don't give a rusty rip what people think of my shoes. How manly is that?

from Woodstock wrote 4 years 38 weeks ago

A few weeks ago, I told my wife I was thinking of getting some Crocs.

"You?? You're kidding, right?" she replies.

"No, really, Honey. I want to wear them on the boat, and for river-rafting. The nylon on my regular sandals gets wet and stays wet; I think the Crocs will actually keep my feet drier. Plus, Jack tells me they grip real well on a boat."

So she makes a mental note of that, then I later find a pair on the table as a gift for Father's Day. I love em. But everytime I put them on, my wife threatens to tattle on me: "Ha! - you look like a ladyboy hippy geek. I'm going to call and tell John, or Merle, or Dave, or..."

from jbird wrote 4 years 38 weeks ago

Won't wear em'. My brother wore a pair to 4th of July get together, and we all had a blast teasing him, I'm pretty sure he'll never don them in public again. I've never had a slip with my cheap old boat/fishing shoes, and I don't look silly either. To each his own, if you like em', good for you , you look just DARLING!

from JTC wrote 4 years 38 weeks ago

I bought a pair of them just because I needed shoes that I could slip on and off quickly and not care what happened to them. I used to use old tennis shoes for that, but when they got wet they wouldn't dry out and they started smelling so bad that I just threw them away.

from Tim Platt wrote 4 years 38 weeks ago

$9.99 at the Crocs outlet in Shopryland... and I do have the half boat shoe leather upper with laces and wear them every time I am in or on the water. Best boat shoe ever made. Best waders made. Set them in the sun for an hour and they'll quit stinking faster than your top siders or Nikes or whatever you wear.

from Tim Platt wrote 4 years 38 weeks ago

The first time I tried them on they were so comfortable I realized why everyone was wearing these ugly ass shoes...

from Nic Meador wrote 4 years 38 weeks ago

they are not clown if you buy em in black, and yes they are downright comfy

from alabamahunter wrote 4 years 38 weeks ago

Amen Joe! I wear a pair of Croc flip flops almost exclusively for fishing. Comfortable, but not ugly as hell.

from Sagittarius62 wrote 4 years 38 weeks ago

Last winter I was in FL, and had brought a pair of flip flops, for beach fishing. They were getting very annoying. I never did like flip flops anyway. I said to my dad, who is a huge Croc fan, "I need to get a cheap pair of sneakers for walking the beach. He said "sure, but let's look at Crocs first". I scoffed, but figured I'd humor him. I mean I'd never wear those ugly things right? Well, I tried on a pair of the half leather ones, and love them. Great for wet wading, on the boat, and river ratting in general. Basically indestructible, and very comfortable.

from nc30-06 wrote 4 years 38 weeks ago

I have refused to buy a pair at 40$ or even 25$. I would pay 10$ for a pair to work in the yard. Might find out they are comfortable if I did buy a pair. Bass Pro has them in camo. Might be a little less conspicuous

from fflutterffly wrote 4 years 38 weeks ago

To that end... did anyone read that CROC might be going BK?

from ejunk wrote 4 years 38 weeks ago

real brand name Crocs don't absorb water.

let me say that again:

they DON'T absorb water.

I'm gonna miss them and, if I had any expendable income I would buy a few pairs right now. odd to read comments about the way they look... wierdos.

yrs-
Evan!

from JOHN ANDERSON wrote 4 years 38 weeks ago

HEY THANKS FOR THE FLOATTUBE FOOT WEAR IDEA!! BUCKHUNTER!! THE LAUGHTER OF MY FISHING BUDDYS USALLY SUBSIDES WHEN THEY FOCUS ON MY STRINGER OF FISH NOT MY SHOES.

from fisher girl wrote 4 years 38 weeks ago

We buy the cheap kind. I will wear them to go outside in but I won't wear them out in public. They're nice just to slip on, but I don't think they handle rocks to well. I step in the drive way and I can feel the rocks under my feet. They aren't the best shoe but they're alright.

from aragonnapoles wrote 4 years 38 weeks ago

I agree with ggmack topsiders are more expensive but are survive to much years.

from buckhunter wrote 4 years 38 weeks ago

John Anderson,

I made the mistake of buying several pairs of cheap, stiff fins for my float tubes. They kill my ankles and toes while tubing. The soft body of the crocs absorb some of the stiffness of the fins but what I really like is the cushion they provide to the back of my ankle where the straps go.

from countitandone wrote 4 years 38 weeks ago

oh yeah ~ wearing my beige crocs while on the water (pontoon) has made an uncomfortable task (water skeeter fins) comfortable. Now that the Reno heat (100* F.) is here, fishing the lakes or wading the Truckee River, I can be "fashionable yet cool." DEETER...I answer your question this way ~ crocs okay!

from weswes088 wrote 4 years 38 weeks ago

I've never worn them, but as a kid I always wanted footwear that I could walk through creeks and such with and not worry about having to dry them out later or, more importantly, stubbing my toes on rocks. I was recently thinking crocs would be perfect for this (but that's about all they're perfect for).

from kirkdeeter wrote 4 years 38 weeks ago

vtbluegrass... big props on a double tarpon day. That's awesome.

from otis733 wrote 4 years 38 weeks ago

the version of crocs I purchase are brown slip on sandal kind, I purchased these for the pure lazyness factor slip them on and go, work out well for all applications that I have used them for. My only problem with them is I can't wear them to work I have to actually wear shoes that I have to tie. what a bummer.

from 175rltw wrote 4 years 38 weeks ago

flip flops man. great on a boat deck, though you better wear sunscreen on yer feet... I've remodeled two houses in them.. hunted turkeys in them, almost always change out of waders into them, work in the garden and yard with them, they are great. When the snow is packed hard i wear them downtown to the bar as long as it is 10 degrees or above... I may butcher my next moose in flip flops, just because. crocs my ass. flip flops man.

from JOHN ANDERSON wrote 4 years 38 weeks ago

THANKS AGIN BUCKHUNTER!FISH ON.

from Alex Pernice th... wrote 4 years 38 weeks ago

I have some too, (Mine are Max 4 camo) I love them, and I saw that article... So what? Waiders ain't a fashion staitment either, so whatever, This is the great outdoors, and as Deeter once told me
"This isn't
Hollywood. It's the outdoors, which is the last, good honest place.Besides, you have a cool name to start with. Ain't no smoke and mirrors in this game, buddy, it's all about walking the walk. And
you're walking it. It's why we're pals."

Deeter, you're one of my inspirations, I just got back from Michigan, keep you're eyes open, you will get somthin' from me soon.

AP

from kirkdeeter wrote 4 years 38 weeks ago

I am flattered by the comments from Alex... and as such, I'd contend that the young man raises a very, very good point: Walkin' the walk is about just that... and really, truly, it doesn't matter what's on your feet, so long as you are walkin' and happy.

from buckhunter wrote 4 years 38 weeks ago

That's all well and good Deeter but if you were wearing those purple crocs on my boat, you wouldn't hear the end of it. HA!

Great post AP. Your much wiser than your years.

Did you get into the Hex AP?

from Alex Pernice th... wrote 4 years 38 weeks ago

Thanks Buck, No, the Hex hatch was off (Saw a few) but the tricos were on fire (Got a 12 inch Brookie on one,not to mention a foul hooked 152 pound dumba$$ that dropped the fish and got no picture.)

from Greg Rickaby wrote 4 years 38 weeks ago

I've had a pair for 4 years now - the bottoms are all worn out and they slip on the boat now...guess it's time to buy another pair.

from Linda Williams wrote 4 years 37 weeks ago

I have a friend who is in his 70s and is diabetic. The ONLY shoes he can wear comfortably -- winter and summer -- are Crocs! To church, to the orchestra, hiking at his home in Maine, shopping in the Philadelphia suburbs. Crocs seem to span the ages and serve a multitude of people for many reasons.
LW

from FloridaHunter1226 wrote 4 years 37 weeks ago

I like crocs because they are cheap and make a good fishing shoe. They are comfortable and breathable and have no problem if they get wet. Yeh they look ridiculous but atleast the lower half of your body is covered by the boat... haha

from blake425 wrote 4 years 37 weeks ago

In my opinion the best color of crocs are the khaki ones. They don't look as bad as the brighter colored ones.

from Pismo wrote 4 years 37 weeks ago

Crocs wouldn't be so bad if people would actually wear them for what they originally intended to be, not an all-purpose everyday shoe. I don't personally own any but if people want to wear them for gardening or while out on their boat that's fine. Just don't wear them as part as your regular outfit... tacky.

from Cheap Shot wrote 4 years 37 weeks ago

I just commented on one of the photos of a guy in another gallery with a record thresher shark. He's standing on the dock with his two buddies beside this massive monster and he's wearing hunter orange crocs. (the fisherman, not the shark ;-) Looks stupid as hell, but he couldn't be happier. Isn't that's what it's all about?

from ingebrigtsen wrote 4 years 37 weeks ago

I have been a hardxss crocs abstainer for the last 5 years or so. Allways thought them tacky and whitethrash. but 2 weeks ago my mom finally got me a pair in black that was actually my size. and of all my shoes and flipflops i have theese are the most comfortable ones i can wear withouth wearing socks at all. i wear them all the time now around the house and yard and sometimes fall asleep with them while watching tv.. and although i havent tried them on a boat yet im pretty sure they will suffice.. but on a boat im used to wearing cut off rubber boots all the same.. have childhood memories 20 years in my past about cut off rubber boots belonging to my dad for getting up at night on the boat peing over the side.. Way bigger than what i needed, but i must say theese crocs are dang close and even if smeared in fishblood and guts they would rinse off nicely and be good to wear after half an hour in the drying closet:P:D:D:D
Crocs rule, dont let them go out of buisness.. they maybe look like shxt in purple, but in black and white for nurses (praise my sweatheart) they friggin rule:D:D:D

from chadian wrote 4 years 36 weeks ago

capture your moment in history with the enduring leagacy of art. chad lavin studio. www.lavinstudio.com

from Jack Cormack wrote 4 years 34 weeks ago

Lets see here, they make your feet stink.....but they are full of holes.....no brainer, just wade out in the water and wash dem dogs!

from Jere Smith wrote 3 years 32 weeks ago

I tried on a pair in Cabelas, not comfortable, so I did not buy a pair.

from Alex Pernice th... wrote 4 years 38 weeks ago

"This isn't
you're walking it. It's why we're pals."

AP

from buckhunter wrote 4 years 38 weeks ago

When on the water function out weighs fashion.

from Koldkut wrote 4 years 38 weeks ago

from JOHN ANDERSON wrote 4 years 38 weeks ago

from buckhunter wrote 4 years 38 weeks ago

John Anderson,

from kirkdeeter wrote 4 years 38 weeks ago

from buckhunter wrote 4 years 38 weeks ago

Great post AP. Your much wiser than your years.

Did you get into the Hex AP?

from blake425 wrote 4 years 37 weeks ago

from ingebrigtsen wrote 4 years 37 weeks ago

from Joe_Cermele wrote 4 years 38 weeks ago

from buckeye wrote 4 years 38 weeks ago

from weve_25 wrote 4 years 38 weeks ago

from tshrefler wrote 4 years 38 weeks ago

from muskiemaster wrote 4 years 38 weeks ago

from buckhunter wrote 4 years 38 weeks ago

JC,

from Joe_Cermele wrote 4 years 38 weeks ago

They are great on a wet boat deck, though.

from Sick STi wrote 4 years 38 weeks ago

from jcarlin wrote 4 years 38 weeks ago

from Evan V wrote 4 years 38 weeks ago

Be a man, suck it up, and go barefoot!

from ggmack wrote 4 years 38 weeks ago

from vtbluegrass wrote 4 years 38 weeks ago

from Armchair Mike wrote 4 years 38 weeks ago

from Woodstock wrote 4 years 38 weeks ago

A few weeks ago, I told my wife I was thinking of getting some Crocs.

"You?? You're kidding, right?" she replies.

from jbird wrote 4 years 38 weeks ago

from JTC wrote 4 years 38 weeks ago

from Tim Platt wrote 4 years 38 weeks ago

from Tim Platt wrote 4 years 38 weeks ago

from Nic Meador wrote 4 years 38 weeks ago

they are not clown if you buy em in black, and yes they are downright comfy

from alabamahunter wrote 4 years 38 weeks ago

from Sagittarius62 wrote 4 years 38 weeks ago

from nc30-06 wrote 4 years 38 weeks ago

from fflutterffly wrote 4 years 38 weeks ago

To that end... did anyone read that CROC might be going BK?

from ejunk wrote 4 years 38 weeks ago

real brand name Crocs don't absorb water.

let me say that again:

they DON'T absorb water.

yrs-
Evan!

from fisher girl wrote 4 years 38 weeks ago

from aragonnapoles wrote 4 years 38 weeks ago

I agree with ggmack topsiders are more expensive but are survive to much years.

from countitandone wrote 4 years 38 weeks ago

from weswes088 wrote 4 years 38 weeks ago

from kirkdeeter wrote 4 years 38 weeks ago

vtbluegrass... big props on a double tarpon day. That's awesome.

from otis733 wrote 4 years 38 weeks ago

from 175rltw wrote 4 years 38 weeks ago

from JOHN ANDERSON wrote 4 years 38 weeks ago

THANKS AGIN BUCKHUNTER!FISH ON.

from Alex Pernice th... wrote 4 years 38 weeks ago

from Greg Rickaby wrote 4 years 38 weeks ago

from Linda Williams wrote 4 years 37 weeks ago

LW

from FloridaHunter1226 wrote 4 years 37 weeks ago

from Pismo wrote 4 years 37 weeks ago

from Cheap Shot wrote 4 years 37 weeks ago

from Jack Cormack wrote 4 years 34 weeks ago

from chadian wrote 4 years 36 weeks ago

from Jere Smith wrote 3 years 32 weeks ago

I tried on a pair in Cabelas, not comfortable, so I did not buy a pair.