Fishing License Sales Jump 8 Percent, Biggest Increase in Decades

Field Notes

October 23, 2009

Fishing License Sales Jump 8 Percent, Biggest Increase in Decades

By Dave Hurteau

From BYMnews.com:

"Not since the 1970s have we seen a single-year increase in fishing license sales like we've seen so far in 2009," said ASA President and CEO Mike Nussman.

"When the index moves by just a tenth of a point, 40,000 anglers have entered or quit sportfishing. Considering the typical angler spends $176 a year on just fishing tackle alone, and contributes over $40 annually to conservation via license dollars and excise taxes, a small change in the index represents big changes on the ground," said Nussman.

from jbird wrote 4 years 26 weeks ago

Good deal! Gotta' love more people getting out in the outdoors.

from finch147 wrote 4 years 26 weeks ago

the great state of connecticut just doubled the price of every thing. next year i will pay around 300 just for resident licenses. that is pretty hard for a college kid.

from finch147 wrote 4 years 26 weeks ago

the massive increase will keep people inside and increase poaching

from trout26805 wrote 4 years 26 weeks ago

Thats great news especially for the younger generation. I hope we see a lot of yougnsters and new fisherman out there. I have been a fisherman for 50 years and if they want help ot information I always give it to them. Enough videos people should enjoy the fun in the outdoors. Its a great teacher if we take the lessons she gives us to heart.

from fractured100 wrote 4 years 26 weeks ago

I'm curious as to why there was such a big jump. with the economy the way it is I had a hard time just getting the gear and licences I needed for the year. I'd love to hear any guesses behind the hike.

from Jerry A. wrote 4 years 25 weeks ago

Fractured100,

my guess is that it is still less expensive to be a fisherman than alot of other hobbies, and this economy is driving people to reduce their expensive ones.

from jbird wrote 4 years 26 weeks ago

Good deal! Gotta' love more people getting out in the outdoors.

from finch147 wrote 4 years 26 weeks ago