Merwin: Help Me Pack My Boat

The Lateral Line

October 21, 2009

Merwin: Help Me Pack My Boat

By John Merwin

It’s a little warmer today, so I’ll have the boat out on a local lake testing some gear and trying to catch a few late-season bass. First, though, I’m checking a list, printed in large type and pinned up just inside the kitchen door where I can’t miss it. Call it a reminder list for a forgetful fisherman.

My wife made the list for me after various excursions when I complained bitterly about having forgotten some essential. There are some items--anchor and Coast Guard-mandated safety gear like flares-- that stay on the boat all the time. But there are still myriad small things I have to remember to bring.

You guys can do me a favor. Look this over and tell me what I’m missing.

“Day Trip Boat List: Wallet, fishing license, and cash; boat key, bucket, camera, cell phone, electric motor controller, fish-finder gear, flat cushions, fleece jacket and pants, hat #1 and hat #2, insect repellent, lunch pail (full), PFDs, rainwear, sunblock, sunglasses, tackle, tool box, water bottles, weather radio.”

Mostly I think I need a new brain that remembers everything. But short of that, any suggestions?

from bigjake wrote 4 years 25 weeks ago

GPS,and a measuring tape

from bigjake wrote 4 years 25 weeks ago

maybe a landing net.

from Clay Cooper wrote 4 years 25 weeks ago

Thinking of the NFL Players who went out on a fishing trip in Florida and only one rescued made me a believer for carrying one piece of equipment that attaches to your belt. Knowing about boating accidents and how deadly hyperthermia can be even in short sleeve weather. I carry “SPOT”, a device my Wife can track my whereabouts. There is four buttons on it, the on and off, “OK”, “HELP” that sends a preprogrammed self message you make on your account and then there is the “911” which alerts all of Heaven and Earth to send the “Calvary’! Most of all it’s better than flares and cell phones! They know your exact location within 50 yards or less and can even track you as you move!

I love this electronic gadget and believe it should be mandatory for all Sportsmen to carry!

www.finfmespot.com

-1 Good Comment? | | Report
from Clay Cooper wrote 4 years 25 weeks ago

OOPS I MOOSED UP!

Not www.finfmespot.com

www.findmespot.com

-1 Good Comment? | | Report
from buckhunter wrote 4 years 25 weeks ago

First aid kit for that hook in the finger you never thought you'd get.

from buckhunter wrote 4 years 25 weeks ago

OH. By the way. If your wife still fishes with you after all these years I'd buy her a dozen roses with every trip. Damn she's a good one.

from Big O wrote 4 years 25 weeks ago

Note for "GET GAS !" Us old folk's have to stick together.(lol)

from Big O wrote 4 years 25 weeks ago

Forgot "Check battery's charge!" See old ! (lol)

from Tim Platt wrote 4 years 25 weeks ago

Better add a pole and lures to that list...

from cTXn wrote 4 years 25 weeks ago

duct tape, and a pocket knife... I keep them in every vehicle so I always have them. As long as your lunchbox includes beef jerkey, I can think of nothing else. Just remember to put the plug in the boat before launching (my worst habbit).

from seadog wrote 4 years 25 weeks ago

Beer & ice is still on my list for a lot of trips (please drink responsibly).

from wgalliso wrote 4 years 25 weeks ago

Sunscreen, first aid kit (including super glue for a nasty hook puncture), and a fire starting device.

from shane wrote 4 years 25 weeks ago

Binoculars are always nice.

from deanlikes2fish wrote 4 years 25 weeks ago

dont forget some vinyl or latex gloves to wear when you are applying the sunscreen and bug spray. fish dont like the taste of either. oh, hey dont forget that neighbor kid that desperately needs to get out as bad as we do.

from txfisher wrote 4 years 25 weeks ago

All the above plus
spare batteries for the GPS
a spare plug for the boat (a lesson learned the hard way)

one leave this behind :
a float plan even if you are going on the lake you fished for years stuff happens and Murphy's law will happen.Just as if you were going out on a hunt it applies to the water

from Big O wrote 4 years 25 weeks ago

Plug(s) for the boat ? Told ya. OLD !

from Greg Arnold wrote 4 years 25 weeks ago

As an ex Coastie and commercial fisherman, I never leave shore without a sharp KNIFE. Personally I have come to prefer the clasp type with serrated blade capable of one handed opening and closing. It needs to be on your person not in the tackle box.

from Greg Arnold wrote 4 years 25 weeks ago

As deanlikes2fish pointed out don't forget the neighbor kid or your own grandkids when possible. Like the saying goes, 'Pass it On'.

from steve182 wrote 4 years 25 weeks ago

Bananas

from Reelfun wrote 4 years 25 weeks ago

Keep a journal and several writing utensils in a binder. I made sheets up on the computer and keep them in a 3 ring binder inside a ziploc bag, so I only have to fill in the blanks. The last section is for notes to keep track of what I would do next time I target the same species of fish on that body of water at that time of year, weather conditions, strategies for future derbies etc. Also, clipped to the cover of binder is note pad for reminder notes of things I forgot, need to replace, repair, maintenance, contact info of friends I make on the water, or whatever. Something else I recommend for anyone engaged in outdoor activities is a vacuum sealer. Use it to seal up first aid kits, survival gear, extra clothing, maps, extra batteries, most anything you want to keep together and dry on a boat, ATV, fanny pack, etc. It also keeps your processed game and some baits fresher longer, I know I sound like an ad, but it works.

from ghostdancer wrote 4 years 25 weeks ago

One of the most easily left-behind items, a Flashlight

from aragonnapoles wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

Dr.Ralph is in remember these is a fishing trip.

from jamesti wrote 3 years 39 weeks ago

i never forget my black dog when i go.

from deanlikes2fish wrote 4 years 25 weeks ago

from bigjake wrote 4 years 25 weeks ago

GPS,and a measuring tape

from bigjake wrote 4 years 25 weeks ago

maybe a landing net.

from Big O wrote 4 years 25 weeks ago

Note for "GET GAS !" Us old folk's have to stick together.(lol)

from Big O wrote 4 years 25 weeks ago

Forgot "Check battery's charge!" See old ! (lol)

from Greg Arnold wrote 4 years 25 weeks ago

from Reelfun wrote 4 years 25 weeks ago

from buckhunter wrote 4 years 25 weeks ago

First aid kit for that hook in the finger you never thought you'd get.

from buckhunter wrote 4 years 25 weeks ago

from cTXn wrote 4 years 25 weeks ago

from Big O wrote 4 years 25 weeks ago

Plug(s) for the boat ? Told ya. OLD !

from Greg Arnold wrote 4 years 25 weeks ago

from steve182 wrote 4 years 25 weeks ago

Bananas

from Tim Platt wrote 4 years 25 weeks ago

Better add a pole and lures to that list...

from seadog wrote 4 years 25 weeks ago

Beer & ice is still on my list for a lot of trips (please drink responsibly).

from wgalliso wrote 4 years 25 weeks ago

from shane wrote 4 years 25 weeks ago

Binoculars are always nice.

from txfisher wrote 4 years 25 weeks ago

All the above plus
spare batteries for the GPS
a spare plug for the boat (a lesson learned the hard way)

one leave this behind :

from ghostdancer wrote 4 years 25 weeks ago

One of the most easily left-behind items, a Flashlight

from aragonnapoles wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

Dr.Ralph is in remember these is a fishing trip.

from jamesti wrote 3 years 39 weeks ago

i never forget my black dog when i go.

from Clay Cooper wrote 4 years 25 weeks ago