Filming Fish Underwater With a GoPro Hero Camera

FlyTalk

March 29, 2011

Filming Fish Underwater With a GoPro Hero Camera

By Tim Romano

Earlier in the week I posted on the $9.57 vise. Today I've got a bit more DIY fishy goodness for you.

As you know I'm a photographer and being such play around with as many different cameras as I can get my hands on. One of which is the GoPro HD Hero. It shoots full 1080 HD video, has an underwater housing, and can be mounted to almost anything you can think of. It's a remarkable little piece of equipment and relatively inexpensive. I use it a ton for various fishing applications and I'm finding that lots of amateur photographer/videographers are using them as well to document their days out on the water.

The one small problem with the GoPro is that if you're using it exclusively for underwater work it is slightly out of focus. As it says on the the company's home page, "Please note that due to the curved lens of the waterproof housing for the HD HERO camera and standard def Wide HERO cameras, you will notice a slight loss of sharpness with underwater images."

If you're an GoPro user or are thinking about getting one and want some better quality underwater footage you can thank the gents over at Jazz and Fly Fishing for figuring this one out. Appropriate, right? They've done a photo-illustrated step by step DIY fix for your underwater focus GoPro woes.

Check out the difference in their video below and do check out the GoPro if you're interested in an waterproof video camera for your fishing needs.

from Koldkut wrote 3 years 2 weeks ago

I want one, amazing pieces of equipment, not the easiest to run unless you know the device. I mucked up getting video of a 13 pound laker through the ice, instead, I got video of me screwing with the camera, pointing it at my face saying "is this thing even on?" all in HD no less. I'll have to forward this on, he may well want to get this fixed.

from Clint Walker wrote 3 years 2 weeks ago

love my GoPro! works great when a guy named Koldkut isn't filming himself close up while I am fighting a 13lb laker LOL!!

from Alex Pernice th... wrote 3 years 2 weeks ago

I have one for documenting my races. Awesome setup to have if you enjoy footage like that. for 300$, its really fair priced. Documents the greatest moments too.

from Chad Ferguson wrote 3 years 2 weeks ago

That is pretty awesome. I wonder if it would work in the murky water here in North Texas? I would love to test one of these out on some big Texas catfish!

Chad Ferguson

from steelhead08 wrote 3 years 2 weeks ago

That is nothing less than AMAZI'N! Like having cataracts your entire life and...well, AMAZING!!!

from truckee trout wrote 3 years 2 weeks ago

i am getting one soon, great for fishing, snowboarding, mountain biking.

from Smallmouth Fisherman wrote 3 years 2 weeks ago

The GoPro is the best POV camera on the market. The footage you can capture with the camera is out of this world. I can't wait to test the camera out on my Crestliner fishing boat this summer, hopefully get some nice shots of some big bass, pike, and musky.

You don't need to modify the camera housing yourself, a company called "Eye of Mine" has made a new lens for the housing. The video footage you can capture with Eye of Mine's new lens is amazing, crystal clear. I just bought one for my own fishing expeditions, boy it's going to be fun seeing the fish I catch!

from Clint Walker wrote 3 years 2 weeks ago

from Koldkut wrote 3 years 2 weeks ago

from truckee trout wrote 3 years 2 weeks ago

i am getting one soon, great for fishing, snowboarding, mountain biking.

from Alex Pernice th... wrote 3 years 2 weeks ago