Is This The Most Distinctive Mark in Fishing?

FlyTalk

May 18, 2011

Is This The Most Distinctive Mark in Fishing?

By Kirk Deeter

Nike has its famous "swoosh." Coca-Cola and Campbell's Soup have their trademark red cans...but what icon in the world of fishing stands apart most?

I think it has to be the G.Loomis "skeleton fish." This mark was conceived by a hat company roughly 20 years ago, and then tweaked by the company over time (the teeth added, then sharpened, the fins flared and so forth). According to G. Loomis's Bruce Holt, the power of the mark is that the fish can be any fish...okay, it's not a trout...but it's something mean. It's not a fossil...though it is a skeleton.

It still looks aggressive, a super-amped fish phantom. And with the three words "Fear No FIsh" in the mix, the mark pretty much sums up the moxie every serious angler wants to be associated with...be that on the flats, or in the bass lake.

I've seen it on boat motors and push poles in the flats, to drift boats, to float planes in Alaska. I've seen it in every country I've fished. Yet, to put the power of the mark in perspective, consider this thought from G.Loomis executive director Jim Lebson: "When I go to a fishing show, I inevitably have people come up to me to show me their skeleton fish tattoo...and it isn't just once in a while, it's every place we go."

Now some other fishing companies have distinctive visual marks: The Quantum "Q" makes an impression. And in fly fishing, the script "Scott" on Scott Fly Rods stands out. Heck, Winston has traveled pretty far on green paint.

But nothing comes close to the fish. Agree or Disagree?

from Joe_Cermele wrote 2 years 48 weeks ago

I don't know KD. I've had an awful lot of people show me their tattoo of you in your cowboy hat in the graphic above...

from nitrojoe wrote 2 years 48 weeks ago

I think the Bass Pro Shop bass is very recognizable also. But G. Loomis has one of the coolest marks.

from -Bob wrote 2 years 48 weeks ago

Even though I have "The Fish" tacked to the corkboard in my office (I'm looking at it as I type this), I have to disagree -- I believe the "Cabela's" script logo would win by a fairly hefty margin.

from Sage Sam wrote 2 years 48 weeks ago

Without a doubt Loomis has the most recognizable "mark" in fishing and I would say even in flyfishing. The aforementioned script "Scott" and green Winston's are also there for me. I would add that the distinctive Fishpond colors and patterns are a sort of "mark" for me.

I would add the "argyle" pattern near the handle of an Ugly Stik also comes to mind as well.

from buckhunter wrote 2 years 48 weeks ago

Among fisherman who prefer fine equipment the Loomis logo does standout but I believe most fisherman lean towards the lower price rods. In my opinion when you see a rod with a black handle, yellow and red wrap and clear white tip you just know it's a Shakespeare Ugly Stick. I know, not really a logo but you know an Ugly Stick when you see one.

from NathanH wrote 2 years 48 weeks ago

I would say big no. Daredevil anyone?

from Micropterus24 wrote 2 years 48 weeks ago

I think the bass pro logo would have to be the most recognizable, and most common mark in fishing. Even people who don't fish easily recognize it.

from Proverbs wrote 2 years 48 weeks ago

If this was a national vote, I think KD's choice would be lucky to break the Top 10.

Zebco33, Q, Daiwa/logo, Daredevil, Rapala, Ugly Stick, Eagle Claw eagle and even their sketch of the fisherman/stringer on the hook bags (Wright & McGill), Ranger 'R', Mercury Marine's logo plus a host of others are more recognizable, I say.

Topping the list would be Eagle Claw scooping the fish.

from tkbone wrote 2 years 48 weeks ago

I was sure that if I did a quick internet logo search I'd quickly disagree - but I can't! The G. Loomis logo is by far the best thought out and most distinctive.

It also strikes me that the other logos are generally quite boring and unimaginative, and that fishing companies need to call Loomis' marketing firm ASAP.

from buckhunter wrote 2 years 48 weeks ago

I will say the Loomis logo is the most copied logo on the market. I've seen a number of similar logos on hats and shirts.

from badsmerf wrote 2 years 48 weeks ago

I love the gloomis icon. Add that to fear no fish and there is a reason the an awesome company.

from Sliwkanich wrote 2 years 48 weeks ago

I'd agree that it is one of the most prolific marks in fly fishing. During my fly-shop days, I've sold many to fly and gear fishers alike who had no idea it was the G. Loomis symbol. Talk about free advertising. I myself own no "Loomis Fish" gear, but I do not fish Loomis so there you go.

for other logos I think are distinctive: the Hardy Fly & Castle, and the Rio Script.

from MNflyfisher wrote 2 years 48 weeks ago

fear no fish

from MNflyfisher wrote 2 years 48 weeks ago

fear no fish

from Bassmasterking wrote 2 years 48 weeks ago

One that y'all forgot is the guy harvey symbol. Everybody has those.

from shane wrote 2 years 48 weeks ago

Here's a toast to the fisherman with no brand names or logos in sight.

from Sayfu wrote 2 years 47 weeks ago

You mean someone has a logo as recognizable as Nike? I'm into decals for my driftboat, but would not consider that one. I admire trout beauty, and that don't get it.

from Alex Pernice th... wrote 2 years 47 weeks ago

I agree Kirk. But then again the Orvis logo is a favorite... Shimano too...

We can talk about this when we meet up in July. I'm buying the drinks!

AP

from Sayfu wrote 2 years 47 weeks ago

That thing looks like someone executed a poor release, and the skeleton was retrieved on the bank! Somethin I never want my Labrador to roll in!

from sgtsly wrote 2 years 47 weeks ago

Easy #1 would be Normark's Blue Fox. Other regular guy TM's that come to mind are the aforementioned Dardevle and the Eagle Claw Eagle. Plano's PPP

from sgtsly wrote 2 years 47 weeks ago

How about the Culprit Bass on the bag

from Ramcatt wrote 2 years 47 weeks ago

I'd say its more BassCAR than flyfishing... loomis makes the worst looking rods and logo-gear in flyfishing

"fear no fish"- sounds like one of those dumb "tap-out" t-shirts

from mexhunter wrote 2 years 47 weeks ago

I agree its a really cool fish design. Still, fishing is more of a relaxing time to me than a time to rid the world from all evil.

from mexhunter wrote 2 years 47 weeks ago

bass pro shops' logo is also just about anywhere

from backcast wrote 2 years 47 weeks ago

Not a fly fishing logo, but I'm quite fond of the Guinness and Yuengling logos, and the products contained therein. The two handsome dudes at the top of this page is a fine "Flytalk" logo as well...

from NathanH wrote 2 years 48 weeks ago

I would say big no. Daredevil anyone?

from buckhunter wrote 2 years 48 weeks ago

from Proverbs wrote 2 years 48 weeks ago

Topping the list would be Eagle Claw scooping the fish.

from Joe_Cermele wrote 2 years 48 weeks ago

from -Bob wrote 2 years 48 weeks ago

from Micropterus24 wrote 2 years 48 weeks ago

from Bassmasterking wrote 2 years 48 weeks ago

One that y'all forgot is the guy harvey symbol. Everybody has those.

from Sayfu wrote 2 years 47 weeks ago

from Sliwkanich wrote 2 years 48 weeks ago

from MNflyfisher wrote 2 years 48 weeks ago

fear no fish

from MNflyfisher wrote 2 years 48 weeks ago

fear no fish

from shane wrote 2 years 48 weeks ago

Here's a toast to the fisherman with no brand names or logos in sight.

from Alex Pernice th... wrote 2 years 47 weeks ago

I agree Kirk. But then again the Orvis logo is a favorite... Shimano too...

We can talk about this when we meet up in July. I'm buying the drinks!

AP