The Old Climber's Trick to Stop Tangles When Spey Casting

FlyTalk

May 23, 2011

The Old Climber's Trick to Stop Tangles When Spey Casting

By Tim Romano

I'm not even close to being a proficient spey caster so when I find and little tip or trick that helps me I'm apt to listen.

The old climbers trick, shown here by Andrew Bennett of Deneki Outdoors is a great solution to stopping that tangled mess that always seems to happen (at least to me) when striping running line fishing a spey, switch, or even just long cast with a larger weight rod.

Hope this helps everyone out there that tangles line like me.

from buckhunter wrote 2 years 48 weeks ago

I think this will work with any fly line you strip. I have heard this before but have yet to put it into practice. I choked on a school of redfish today because my coils knotted. I guess I'm too old to learn.

from Sayfu wrote 2 years 47 weeks ago

Another important feature, or technique to consider, is where that line holding hand is located when the rod comes forward, you release the line, and make the cast. Often, unless you address the problem, the line hand will be BEHIND, or located to the back of the butt of the rod, as the rod moves forward, and forms the loop, making the cast, and pulling out the running line from your hand. The line will rap around the butt of your rod virtually every time!!! The hand needs to move forward towards the reel, or the foregrip as the line is released, and then this tangling behind the rod won't happen.

from Sayfu wrote 2 years 46 weeks ago

Wonder if anyone even knows what I am talking about? This is the main tangle involved....the line wrapping around the rod butt.

from buckhunter wrote 2 years 48 weeks ago