Simms is Back in Felt

FlyTalk

July 01, 2011

Simms is Back in Felt

By Kirk Deeter

Simms Fishing Products has just informed its dealers that the company will offer three boot models with felt soles in 2012. You may remember that Simms was the company that swore off felt (after 2010) as part of its push against aquatic invasive species. (As most of you know, nasty things like whirling disease, New Zealand mud snails, didymo or "rock snot" and other threats to watersheds can be transported and spread via the boots anglers wear, and felt is a leading culprit.) In Vermont and Maryland, felt is banned, as it will be in Alaska next year. Many other states are considering banning felt boots.

But despite that, Simms claimed that felt demand from customers was too strong to ignore.

"It's about giving customers choices, and while we are still committed to stopping the spread of AIS, we decided that giving people the right to choose and treat their boots responsibly was the right thing to do," said Diane Bristol, director of marketing and brand management for Simms. She added that the company would amp up efforts to inform anglers about clean wading practices and proper boot treatment via product labels and other literature.

So what's the lesson? Is there no adequate substitute for felt when it comes to gripping slippery rocks in a river? Are anglers too set in their ways to change? Is it all about money? (Remember, even as Simms swore off felt, other boot makers like Patagonia, Korkers, and Orvis kept right on rolling with felt soles.)

The real question is, will anglers ever really get the message about AIS and treating their boots responsibly?

I'm all for choices, so long as they're backed with responsibility and accountability. Are individual anglers doing enough to stop the spread of AIS (freezing boots, treating them with bleach, hydrogen peroxide, Formula 409, etc.)? The answer is no. For many, the concern doesn't go beyond lip service.

In some ways, I think rubber soles are an easy "out" for people. They certainly aren't a cure-all. Maybe more felt will bring more focus to the real issue.

from Sayfu wrote 2 years 41 weeks ago

You gotta know Deeter that the Sayfu is excited to jump all over that one! I posted on the futility of banning felt, and the consumer, who is ultimately the decider, told Simms in no uncertain terms where they could take their alternatives to felt. It is no different than some govt elitist telling you what light bulbs you must use, or what kind of refrigerator you must have, or what kind of car you must drive. "We made GM build clown cars that are tiny and cost a lot of money, and you will buy them!" There are 3 states that will ban the use of felts next year..New Jersey, I think Mass. and Alaska will ban felts..and now Simms is back making felts, and Simms was one of the prime movers in seeing felt get banned. I SMILE :)

from ckRich wrote 2 years 41 weeks ago

Just curious, does/will Korkers "Svelt" fall in the ban category?

from fishdog52 wrote 2 years 41 weeks ago

I believe Simms made the right decision. There are many of us that need all the traction we can get, and that don't travel much. I guess I have a little more faith in most fisherman to do the right thing.
Further, some of these mandated restrictions on the fisherman are simply not effective.

from MATroutslayer wrote 2 years 41 weeks ago

"...backed with responsibility and accountability." Ha, right. You nailed it Deeter. The answer is a clear "NO". I know a lot of guys that try to wash off their boats before visiting a new waterway, they hose them off and call it a day. In their minds they are doing the right thing, but in actuality, they really aren't doing a damn thing. It's sad, but leaving it up to individuals often comes up short. Freedom of choice is a freedom I will never give up, and I'm all for being able to get whatever I want, whenever I want. Education is our only hope...

from Sayfu wrote 2 years 41 weeks ago

Interesting story..just the other day on the Henry's Fork of the Snake there is a takeout just above Chester Dam..a diversion dam. It is a rough takeout, slimy mud. Two guys get out of their driftboat, at the end of the day's fishing. The one guy heads for the car to go back and get their trailer, and the other guy is washing off his felts and waders. They didn't pull the boat up far enough, and the boat slips back into the water, and over the diversion it goes...splits in 1/2, and now the Sheriff's Dept. is out looking for bodies in their big jetboat not knowing that no one was in the boat..moral to the story is do not be to quick to wash off your felts when boat is at the edge of the river.

from jamesti wrote 2 years 41 weeks ago

look for a clearance of unusable simms waders in the very near future!

from hengst wrote 2 years 41 weeks ago

Well I guess it doesn't matter much to me. I have busted my tail and went swimming while wearing felt and rubber soles. I gave up and looked for a good wading belt to keep the inside from filling up.

I just bought a new pair of simms rubber soles at the beginning of the year, so I have no plans of buying new ones for a while.

from buckhunter wrote 2 years 41 weeks ago

You cannot blame Simms for wanting to remain competitive. If states wish to ban felt then so be it but I would rather have a choice. I can get along fine with lug soles but my father, a fall might really hurt an 82 year old man.

Conservation has so many front that if we fought them all we will all be fishing barefoot in loin cloths.

My last two pair of wading boots have been lug soles and will remain lug soles regardless of the regulations.

Going back to another recent topic. I had to listen to my hair stylist complain all morning about the price of feathers going through the roof. Funny uh.

Tell Romano I found the mother load of carp in a nearby lake. You can walk across the water on their backs they are so thick.

from Greenhead wrote 2 years 41 weeks ago

I am not sure what the answer is, but relying on individuals to clean and disinfect their gear is a joke. Even guys with the best of intentions rarely do a good enough job, and most will just hose it off and call it good, if anything at all.

I hope more fishermen will choose not to use felt, and failing that, I think states should ban them, as much as I hate to call for additional regulation. The cost of allowing these things to spread is just too great.

from Sayfu wrote 2 years 41 weeks ago

Greenhood...The cure has to be how to eradicate them. They can be transported in far too many ways.

from shane wrote 2 years 41 weeks ago

Maybe they should sell the felt soled boots with a shallow little sole-shaped tray to fill with sanitizing solution and step into. Might be a good reminder.

When your favorite river is an oxygen deficient slime-fest you might not laugh in the face of this conservation measure so much.

from Chinook627 wrote 2 years 41 weeks ago

Why haven't boot makers pushed more for korker like boot? I know there are plenty out there, but there hasn't been a real push for these products. Look if simms wants to make a product that will satisfy customers, advertise more for boots with metal studs on the soles that one can easily replace and that most store owners will carry replacements studs for. I know there are copyright laws and etc. but why now put an end to felt with studded boots? I have fished korkers for years and I absolutely need them when swimming out in the surf to rocks that are covered in slime that slips with anything and I haven't had one problem with slipping while wearing my korkers. And what about svelte the supposedly solution to felt, has anyone field tested that enough for a realistic product review?

from fflutterffly wrote 2 years 41 weeks ago

In an attempt to do the "right thing" many have moved off the felt wagon and on to the alternative sole train. It was a big financial change for some, for others just a chance to try something new. I feel for those who trashed their felt boot of still good repair for the alternative only to find an industry (company) they trusted turn around and Quasi support the need for felt "...backed with responsibility and accountability." Regardless how careful you are about equipment care or concerned about transporting invasive creatures, many will still make it to new waters. But lets at least give a clap or two for all who are serious and trying to curb the contamination of water ways. Simms move back into the felt boot maybe powered by economics, especially their bottom line, but at least they admitted there is still a market and that they may have promoted rubber soles prematurely. You can at least feel comfortable that you can now purchase your sole with peace and get what you want, which is the bottom line, getting what you want.

from fflutterffly wrote 2 years 41 weeks ago

jamesti what do you mean by this comment, "look for a clearance of unusable simms waders in the very near future!" If you remark please support that with information. I'm interested to hear what you have to offer.

from Sayfu wrote 2 years 41 weeks ago

flutterfly...I don't feel for any of them. Get on the path to good science and off the "fuzzy science" path. Incredible the bogus science that gets forwarded by the "environmental movement"
Some years back I was going to do some last time guiding in AK for one of the better outfitters, and featured on these threads at times. I was told "You got to come up wearing Simms waders. Every guide up here wears Simms. The cost at the time was over $500, and the rep tells me, "but you can get them for 50% off as a guide. I didn't need to spend $250, and would not have. In the end I did not take the job, but if I had, and I always get felts with the boot feet built in to them...spent the $250 and then found out that when I come up they have been ruled illegal?
I would have demanded that Simms give me my money back..And in response to Jamesti's comment...No clearance, Simms will sell both kinds, and you will need the replacements if you intend to fish in AK, or other foolish states that have banded felts. It will only cost folks jobs like it generally does. Retailers closing down, folks not coming into the state to fish, needed tax revenue for distressed states they won't receive. But Simms may have an overstock because of declining sales, and offer reduced prices to the retailer.

from buckhunter wrote 2 years 41 weeks ago

I think what Jamesti meant was with states banning felt it will soon be obsolete.

from jamesti wrote 2 years 41 weeks ago

what i meant is that once most states ban felt soles simms will be trying to unload them for low prices even though you can't use them in most places. don't get all worked up. it WILL happen very soon.

from jamesti wrote 2 years 41 weeks ago

sorry just saw buckhunter's post. exactly, buckhunter.

from fflutterffly wrote 2 years 41 weeks ago

It won't be obsolete if you purchase the alternative. Don't forget we are a capitalistic society and money runs the event! No sales of rubber.... back to felt

from jakenbake wrote 2 years 41 weeks ago

"Responsibility and accountability" are practically worthless in this day and age. I'll take the ban, wear my lug soles and walk (MUCH) slower through the stream, and make sure that the streams are fishable when I have kids and grandkids to bring along. I'm done with believing that people will do the right thing.

from badsmerf wrote 2 years 41 weeks ago

How do you stop invasive species completely? In my opinion, it is impossible. That is how this world has worked from the beginning. A new species somehow gets transported to a new place with no predators, thrives, and new predators evolve to eat them. I'm not advocating invasive species by any means, but thinking that a simple ban will stop it is foolish. Proper education needs to be done, and maybe even boot inspections at busy parking areas. The only way to stop, or slow down, these types of species is putting more information out to anglers about how to stop themselves from transporting these things.

from fflutterffly wrote 2 years 41 weeks ago

I think we are forgetting something. It isn't just the angler who has transported I.S. it people with pets, kids who go to the water to collect bugs and frogs, tubers, kayakers, boaters, weekend warriors. Everyone who steps in the water has the opportunity of transporting the I.S. from one point to another. Let's come up with at least a suggestion on how to contain, if not how to stop it.

from Sayfu wrote 2 years 41 weeks ago

How about wild birds that fly from river to river? The solution will come from commonsense level headed folks, and science will solve it if it is a problem, not emotional reacting folks that end up costing people needed jobs, and businesses going under. Why hasn't my SF of the Snake, or the NF been introduced with it? Folks come from all over..from all over the world. I don't hear anything about it, and I'm sure it isn't because they are taking precautions, and sterilizing things.

from Riverrat57 wrote 2 years 41 weeks ago

And the all mighty dollar prevails (for now)!

from Sayfu wrote 2 years 41 weeks ago

Riverrat...The dollar should always prevail!!!! When folks lose their jobs, environmental projects go unfunded, and the economy threatened, then solutions are discovered based on the Almighty Dollar...not some emotional response like banning felts that costs jobs, and needed revenue that doesn't work. You want some lousy bureaucrat regulating, and eliminating your freedoms for political purposes, and all the unintended consequences, and it doesn't work?

from badsmerf wrote 2 years 41 weeks ago

I laugh about it at home in Minnesota where I'm from. The DNR tries sooo hard to "stop" mil-foil from spreading. It's pretty much in every single lake in some form. In many cases, it is a benefit to the lake by filtering it and adding habitat. In others, it chokes the lake out. Thing is, this stuff spreads with a single little piece. Like sayfu said, birds transport things like this much more often than people.

from Sayfu wrote 2 years 41 weeks ago

Out here, as a for instance, state fish and game tries to eradicate the rainbow trout from the SF of the Snake taking the stance the rainbow crosses with the cutts, creating cuttbows, and they want to protect the "genetic integrity" of the cutts. Npw it is not enough to protect the trib spawning areas of the cutthroat where 90% of them spawn. The State has to find other areas, and projects as well in the mainstream area, where a small percentage spawn. My point is, they will make work for themselves year after year...electorshocking, studies on top of studies. Now they are putting up to $1,000 tags in the rainbows in hopes of anglers will start killing the bows. So far few want to kill the bows.

from MLH wrote 2 years 41 weeks ago

My Simms rubber soles seemed fine in the rivers I fished last year. This season, however, possibly due to dry hikes to access points, they seem to have lost their bite. I have slipped and gone under twice this year ... once only 50 feet into the river on a cold day, and once with a new Nikon held high overhead. I suppose that would have made an interesting photo - only an arm and a camera sticking out of the river but I was not pleased. Reminds me - I have to put those studs in. They better help.

I won't criticize those that use felt since I have no idea how they manage them. Might even go back to them myself for use on certain waters. They will be used only on those waters, though.

from Team Mayfly wrote 2 years 41 weeks ago

The only way to completely rid felt of AIS is a complete (100%) drying which takes between 24 and 36 hours and then bleach.

A greater solution is studs. So many guys say that felt helps them not to slip; however, I would argue that studs will do the same thing and help cut down on AIS.

from Sayfu wrote 2 years 41 weeks ago

By cut down do you mean if 2 folks introduce AIS to your stream it isn't as bad as 10 introducing AIS? Studs work FAR better than felts. But studs can't be used in boats, or back in your car if you are going to another site. And AIS can be introduced many ways other than attached to felts.

from ArizonasJoe wrote 2 years 41 weeks ago

I had a local shoe-repair shop remove the felt from my wading boots and replace with lugged rubber soles. $65.00 I put ten studs per boot into the lugs. I teach fly-fishing so must make a good example.

from Greenhead wrote 2 years 41 weeks ago

from jamesti wrote 2 years 41 weeks ago

look for a clearance of unusable simms waders in the very near future!

from badsmerf wrote 2 years 41 weeks ago

from buckhunter wrote 2 years 41 weeks ago

from fishdog52 wrote 2 years 41 weeks ago

from fflutterffly wrote 2 years 41 weeks ago

from hengst wrote 2 years 41 weeks ago

from MATroutslayer wrote 2 years 41 weeks ago

from MLH wrote 2 years 41 weeks ago

from jamesti wrote 2 years 41 weeks ago

from jamesti wrote 2 years 41 weeks ago

sorry just saw buckhunter's post. exactly, buckhunter.

from buckhunter wrote 2 years 41 weeks ago

from shane wrote 2 years 41 weeks ago

from fflutterffly wrote 2 years 41 weeks ago

from fflutterffly wrote 2 years 41 weeks ago

from fflutterffly wrote 2 years 41 weeks ago

from Chinook627 wrote 2 years 41 weeks ago

from ckRich wrote 2 years 41 weeks ago

Just curious, does/will Korkers "Svelt" fall in the ban category?

from Riverrat57 wrote 2 years 41 weeks ago

And the all mighty dollar prevails (for now)!

from jakenbake wrote 2 years 41 weeks ago