What's the Weirdest Thing You've Found Fishing?

FlyTalk

August 29, 2011

What's the Weirdest Thing You've Found Fishing?

By Tim Romano

This past saturday I competed in the 5th Annual Carp Slam here in Denver that benefits the Denver Chapter of Trout Unlimited. I didn't win, but did raise a ton of money to help the restoration of our home river here in D-town.

The South Platte that runs through Denver is, as you can imagine quite the urban fishery and as such we find quite the litany of weird crap in the river. A friend of a friend even found a dead body fishing one day. This past Saturday was no exception as documented here.

My friend Bruce Smithhammer menacingly charged me with the working switchblade he had just picked up out of the river. There was plenty of other stuff found, but this was by far and away the coolest and we thought most representative of the South Platte trash we find. We all had a good laugh and wondered how long before the blood had been washed off. ;-)

So, what's the strangest piece of trash you've ever found in the river?

from Michael Jager wrote 2 years 33 weeks ago

Asian Carp.

from M_Rothwell wrote 2 years 33 weeks ago

While approaching a 'hidden, secret hole,' following a deer trail to a spot I frequent along the Upper Iowa River in northeast Iowa, I saw something in the muck and it reflected the sun. I reached down and pulled from the muck and after cleaning, discovered it was a very old stone effigy pipe in the form of a woman! I cleaned it up and it's really quite cool. The legs come together where the wood stem would be pushed on and then between the breasts was the 'bowl.' There was no head. I'm thinking it's a true native artifact! It sits with a shadow box of vintage lures I have in my trophy room! (fish--no 'trophies.')

from Koldkut wrote 2 years 33 weeks ago

In the river near Santa Fe in Denver, I picjked up a nice half serrated drop point folding smith and wesson knife....it cleaned up really well.

from rdorman wrote 2 years 33 weeks ago

one day out for steelhead i found part of a string of christmas tree lights and i later used it as a stringer, for my nights supper...

from Bernie wrote 2 years 33 weeks ago

One time about 15 years ago I was fishing off the rocks of the Sturgeon-Weir River in Saskatchewan, and found a small, parachute-like thing lying on the rocks just outside the edge of the bush. It was attached to a Ziplock bag, giving the name of a school in Red Deer, Alberta, many hundreds of miles to the west. I sent the card to them but never heard a word back. It was some kind of science experiment, as I remember, to test wind currents.

from Steward wrote 2 years 33 weeks ago

Not while fishing, but while canoeing in the Current River in Missouri, I have retrieved a Nike brand back-pack and a nice fleece shirt. The shirt was sun-bleached after being snagged on brush for unknown period of time, but great at a campsite. I still use both items when hunting or camping.

from smccardell wrote 2 years 33 weeks ago

While trout fishing as a teenager, in a local state park, some 20 yrs ago I decided to venture a little farther down the stream then I usually fished. The banks became narrow and I had to blaze a trail up in to the woods to make it around the next bend. I came upon a huge patch of Marijuana in a clearing. I called the DNR and they came out and torched it all. Kinda sad that our nation's and state's parks are used for such things.

from Brian W. Thair wrote 2 years 33 weeks ago

We used to go on fishing trips in northern Saskatchewan. Always took a honkin' big magnet on a 50' rope. We fished off the docks where the boats and float planes tied up. How many tools and extra fishing rods do you need? Try it.

from dabba g wrote 2 years 33 weeks ago

Not much in the river, but how about a lake? I used to spend several weeks every summer with my best friend and his family at their cabin at Donner Lake, California. When we were 13, bored with catching planted rainbows off the docks, we started using a cheap downrigger system and heavy lures to see if we could hook some of the big mackinaw that stayed deep in the lake in the summer months. On one of our first mornings trolling the west end of the lake, unsure of whether we had our lures down near the bottom, I hooked something very heavy that pulsed and shook as I reeled it up. The monster mack turned out to be a tangle of very old, rusted wire, and, tangled up with it, a couple links of heavy iron chain. At the end of the chain was a thick, curved piece of iron that to us looked like part of an old set of manacles. I don't know what ever became of our rusted catch, but it inspired many spooky nights of ghost stories and tall tales in the cabin loft: we were fishing the deepest part of the lake known as "China Cove." Local legend has it that the Chinese laborers working on the first transcontinental railroad were worked to death carving out the tunnels near Donner Pass high above the lake. Unwilling to deal with burial, or with sending remains back to China, the railroad simply weighted the bodies with rocks and chains and dumped them in the deepest part of Donner Lake. True or not, that legend, and remembering that morning over 30 years ago, still sends a bit of a shiver up my spine.

from Sayfu wrote 2 years 33 weeks ago

Did have a friend that found a dead body washed up on an Olympic Peninsula River. I've found lots of stuff, and lost/left lots of stuff along rivers over the years...what goes around, comes around I guess.

from Rhythm Rider wrote 2 years 33 weeks ago

My ex girlfriend.

from duane boyd 52 wrote 2 years 33 weeks ago

caught 2 watches one summer,the first was a womans moonphase,the next was a seiko diving watch,both worked,but the best thing I"ve found was a black lance point 6 and a half in. long.caught lots of poles.

from Jack Hom wrote 2 years 33 weeks ago

I was fishing my local lake, Oakland lake, here in bayside ny. The lake isn't huge by any means but being in the middle of NYC, the things pulled from the lake are amazing. One day while fishing a regular worm, I felt a sharp tug that I knew was not a bass, carp or catfish and was too big to be a sunnie. Next thing i know I have a 2 foot long arrowana on my line! Must've been a pet because this fish is native to the amazon. But then again we've seen pacu and other exotic fish in the lake before. NYC can be a weird place...

from Blue Ox wrote 2 years 33 weeks ago

Was bored at work one day & welded up grapple hook from some scrap rebar. Tied a rope to it & flung it into a lagoon not far from my house. Pulled up a heavyweight uglystick with a zebco 888 mounted on it. On the other end was an 18lb channel cat. Good eatin'! The very next week I pulled up two bicycles, and a metal lockbox. I pried open the box & found an old .38 caliber revolver inside.

from Sayfu wrote 2 years 33 weeks ago

Rhythm Rider...So you are a hook'n release her?

from jaybp30 wrote 2 years 33 weeks ago

My buddy and I were walking up a small no name river between. Its an area that abuts posted property. All of a sudden we stumbled on a few open, half full beer bottles, on red napkins, with LIT cigars ON the bottle. No people in sight. Waited around 5-10 minutes. No one showed. Really the strangest thing I've ever seen. Don't remember if any fish were caught that day. We didn't drink the beer as we were probably about 13. I wonder what we would have done now.

from Rhythm Rider wrote 2 years 33 weeks ago

Sayfu, far as hook n release, never had to pay......directly that is. She was definitely catch, release, and run.

from fliphuntr14 wrote 2 years 33 weeks ago

boat motor at the bottom of a reservoir they drained a few years ago and a mens gold wedding ring sold it for $300.

from nerffodder wrote 2 years 33 weeks ago

One time I was fishing a bay in NJ when I got my Rappala snagged on a rock. There was no hope getting it off, so I unhappily cut the line. I put on another hard bait on and cast again. Amazingly, I snagged the lure i just lost. Made my day.

from fflutterffly wrote 2 years 33 weeks ago

A lover!

from abcdpete wrote 2 years 33 weeks ago

Sneaking through some brush to get to a hole on the Frying Pan, I emerged to find a dead bat hanging about eye level from a piece fishing line. I'm guessing someone was fishing a dry near dusk and the bat liked his presentation.

from Bioboy wrote 2 years 33 weeks ago

A few years ago I found a nice pair of polarized sunglasses that I still use regualarly. I also had a friend swimming in a nearby river and last month he pulled up a working wateproof camera, just had to replace the batteries.

from smallgamehunter25 wrote 2 years 33 weeks ago

To date I've found an old Zebco rod, a CD, an old bike, and about a dozen really cool whiskey bottles

from Riverrat57 wrote 2 years 33 weeks ago

Gotta be the sword!
And that's the tooth, the whole tooth, and nothing but the tooth:
Sorry!

from melvinthefisherman wrote 2 years 33 weeks ago

was catfishing on a lake and anf i hookrf on to a snag but the snag was coming in and it was this pipe hose sorta thing and water was coming from the hole in the hose thing. The water was clear rather than the muddy lake water. Then i noticed that the fountain in the middle of the lake was losing water pressure. I realized what i hooked and i unhooked my hook causing more water to come out and the lake fountain shut off. I threw the hose thing back in the water and to this day the fountain still runs on a very low pressure and i hooked it 4 years ago.

from Jay Hale wrote 2 years 33 weeks ago

The weirdest thing I found was picked up while carp fishing on the Merrimack River near Lowell, Massachusetts with my dad. I had grown impatient and started flipping Senkos by a submerged tree and amazingly got some bass bites in this once horribly-polluted river. I set the hook too hard and the bait broke off and flew back over my head. While tracking it down at the base of a hill, I noticed an old water bottle with blue paper stuffed inside. It turned out to be a "message in a bottle" sent by a four-year-old girl from Nashua, New Hampshire. She included her father's email address on the note and was extremely happy someone found her message.

It's hanging on my office wall to this day.

from Mariel wrote 2 years 33 weeks ago

The strangest thing I found was unearthed while fishing with a buddy of mine on the Bitterroot River just outside Darby, Montana. We had started the day using a kick net to find what sort of critters the fish in this part of the river were munching on. While wading through the water, I spied a plastic grocery bad that was sunken to the bottom of the river. Being a good citizen I decided to pick up the trash somebody had been careless to toss away in such a beautiful river. Upon picking it up, it was obvious that the bag was full of something and so I proceeded to empty it out onto the beach. What spilled out were TWO handguns. I don't know what caliber they were but I decided that two guns that had been found downstream of a bridge seemed suspicious and so I let the local police handle it from there.

from vasportsman wrote 2 years 33 weeks ago

Was fishing a stocked reservior in southwest Virginia a few days after it had been stocked. The lake was out of the way enough that not a ton of people knew it had been stocked and fewer had been fishing. I was one rainbow from my 6 fish limit and a local game warden came down and checked me for proper tags which I had. We chatted for a few minutes, when suddenly I was reeling in a hooked something. At first it felt like a stick but as I began to pull it started wiggling and fighting a little but something was wrong. Low and behold I pulled up a stringer with seven trout, four of which were still alive! The game warden couldnt believe it, and ruled that I had not exceeded my limit with the catch because I hadnt actually hooked a fish, but I couldnt take all of them. I looked at him, took one fish off the stringer to complete my limit and gave the rest to him. Talked to him later that year and said his family had a very nice dinner with those fish.

from IdahoAngler wrote 2 years 32 weeks ago

Way back in the Frank Church River of No Return Wilderness on one of the tributaries of the Middle Fork of the Salmon, I found a wooden plaque bolted onto the back of a streamside boulder, just above the high water mark. I'd never have seen it if I hadn't stopped for lunch. Carved from wood in the shape of a westslope cutthroat, it commemorated an angler who had passed some twenty years before. Still there, as far as I know.

from MLH wrote 2 years 32 weeks ago

There's always something interesting pulled out of the water during the annual Au Sable River Cleanup (Sept 10 this year). Most impressive item I found was a 40 DD bra.

from gregory62 wrote 2 years 32 weeks ago

We were swimming in Big Lake in Gaylord Michigan. with the kids, and my neice was on a tube that had just tipped over. She fell off knocking her off and under the water. When she came up she was holding a wallet. She said I found Dylans wallet! I wasn't sure what she was talking about. She explained that her cousin Dylan had lost his wallet a few weeks back with his drivers licence and cash in it. She said it is a good thing she keeps her eyes open while she swims, because when under the water she noticed something floating to the bottom and grabbed it. She wasn't sure what it was until she reached the top. The wallet was in the outer liner of the tube. When she tipped over it came out and started sinking to be lost for good. She caught it out of the corner of her eye she said. Dylan and his family were strangely on there way over to my sisters home where we were swimming.When they showed up we gave him his soggy wallet. He couldn't believe Becka had just found it, 20 minutes earlier, and how she found it. Very lucky kid...

from JoBer wrote 2 years 32 weeks ago
from paulie3033 wrote 2 years 32 weeks ago

Went shark fishing with my father for the first time about 15 years ago. We were in the middle of the ocean off of Montauk Point and found all sorts of wreckage from TWA Flight 800. Weird to see plane wreckage in the water, got confronted by the coast guard and handed over what we took (seat cushion, piece of metal).

from abcdpete wrote 2 years 32 weeks ago

Tim, I think Kelly dropped his digital waterproof camera just up from the Ralph Price inlet. Fished for some time and then returned downstream to the inlet area where a guy fishing there asked "did anyone you know lose a digital camera?"

from Payton Messmore wrote 2 years 32 weeks ago

ha weirdest thing i've found in a river? Well I found a bag of dead puppys once......... Also found a dildo.

from ec_nick wrote 2 years 32 weeks ago

I once found a celt while "float hunting" the broad river its not really very strange but its by far my favorite artifact

from hutter wrote 2 years 32 weeks ago

I saw my ex swimming one day

from coachsjike wrote 2 years 32 weeks ago

my wife caught a glow stick!

from Big Country wrote 2 years 32 weeks ago

I've caught old fishinrigs, I caught a christmas tree while crappie fising one year, picked it clean of the jigs and other lures (ornaments LOL) and put it back. A friend of mine caught 10 foot john boat with a 9.9 HP moter a few years ago while runing jug lines. He fliped it to get the water out and towed to the boat ramp and told the park care takers about it and they call the owner. The owner was in a truck that was backing down a boate ramp on the other side of the lake with a frienad and his boat to go get the little john boat.

from woodpecker wrote 2 years 32 weeks ago

I have a cousin that tells a tale about deer hunting one time with some friends. The plan was to hunt till noon, then meet at the truck to go to another spot. So cus is heading back at noon when he spots this glove. He thinks "must be one of the guys". At the truck he askes who lost a glove? This guy laughs and says It's mine but I don't want it back. Cus says why? and the guy saysI took a dump this morning and I forgot to bring any paper.

from wisconsonhunter wrote 2 years 32 weeks ago

I live in northern Wisconsin about 5 miles from the Thornapple campground and have had 3 different finds the wierdest was when I was sucker fishing in a fairly shallow part of the river last spring and I got what I thought was the biggest hit of my life. turned out there was a toilet seat bouncing down the river and i happened to snag it. I went and put it on a hallow stump. I just hope nobody used it !

from jmshackelfo@aol.com wrote 2 years 32 weeks ago

I found the occational lure or something, but after reading this artical I'm not sure I would have picked up a switch blade I found on the river. I would be scared it was used in a crime and now I have my finger prints on it and it could be the missing peace of evidence that was needed to put someone in jail.

from Winhawk94 wrote 2 years 32 weeks ago

Trout fishing in Southeastern Minnesota last fall I decided to move to a new spot down my favorite stream and noticed a bottleneck sticking out of the sand near the shore. I dug it out and found out that it was an old Squirt Bottle. Most of the painted label was still intact. I also caught a 15 inch brown trout a few minutes after discovering the bottle.

from jughead481 wrote 2 years 32 weeks ago

I once caught a rusty tin can in my casting net attached to the can was an old castnet. I got a bunch of useful lead from the old castnet weights.

from scratchgolf72 wrote 2 years 32 weeks ago

biggest bass i had ever hooked in my life broke off on me a few years ago when he jumped, took my j-9 rapala with it. that happend in july. early october the same year i was fishing the same pond with a friend when i look on the shoreline from the boat and long behold, there is the same lure i lost to that bass a few months earlier. still have it to.

from milsky24 wrote 2 years 32 weeks ago

One time i had snaged and had to cut my line. But not 4-5 casts later i pulled in the line i just lost hook and all.

from VAHunter540 wrote 2 years 31 weeks ago

Was on vacation about 12yrs ago on VA's Eastern Shore and I got a $50 bill wrapped around my line while shore fishing. It made the local paper there for catch of the week. Maybe the Virginian Pilot... cant remember which paper but I know it was one of the larger ones for the area.

from Sliwkanich wrote 2 years 29 weeks ago

Fishing a small creek in the backcountry my brother an dI spied a romance novel and some sunbathing oil. Then around the corner: two topless ladies just walking around the bush.

(I swear we were not seeing a mirage)

from Woods Walker wrote 2 years 28 weeks ago

I took my oldest son fishing for his very first time and he caught a brand new rod and reel within the first 5 minutes! It could not have been in the water for more than a few hours and became his favorite rod. I once snagged a rapala style lure when my hook actually entered the lure's eyelet. My favorite strange catch was by a friend of mine who was ice fishing with minnows near open water where some ducks were rafting on their northward migration. You guessed it - one of the ducks swam over under the ice to eat his bait. He had to quickly chop a bigger hole in the ice to extract and release the upset duck.

from goin2themountains wrote 2 years 25 weeks ago

Close to 30 years ago now, a friend and I had hauled a small plastic boat into Mammoth lake in the Front Range out of Nederland, CO. We hit the lake before daybreak, loaded into the boat and rowed out from short. In the dark we began hearing a low moaning sound repeating itself across the water in the dark. We nervously rowed around in circles waiting for the sun to rise hoping whatever was making the wierd sound wouldn't "get us". Finally upon sunrise, we discovered the sound coming from a group of hippies sitting crosslegged on the shore, naked, chanting Ommmmmmmmmmmm. Both very embarrassed by what we had discovered, we left the lake and fished the creek below it the rest of the day.

from dabba g wrote 2 years 33 weeks ago

from Brian W. Thair wrote 2 years 33 weeks ago

from Rhythm Rider wrote 2 years 33 weeks ago

My ex girlfriend.

from IdahoAngler wrote 2 years 32 weeks ago

from Michael Jager wrote 2 years 33 weeks ago

Asian Carp.

from smccardell wrote 2 years 33 weeks ago

from Jay Hale wrote 2 years 33 weeks ago

It's hanging on my office wall to this day.

from MLH wrote 2 years 32 weeks ago

from M_Rothwell wrote 2 years 33 weeks ago

from Rhythm Rider wrote 2 years 33 weeks ago

from Big Country wrote 2 years 32 weeks ago

from milsky24 wrote 2 years 32 weeks ago

from Koldkut wrote 2 years 33 weeks ago

from rdorman wrote 2 years 33 weeks ago

from Bernie wrote 2 years 33 weeks ago

from Steward wrote 2 years 33 weeks ago

from Sayfu wrote 2 years 33 weeks ago

from duane boyd 52 wrote 2 years 33 weeks ago

from Jack Hom wrote 2 years 33 weeks ago

from Blue Ox wrote 2 years 33 weeks ago

from Sayfu wrote 2 years 33 weeks ago

Rhythm Rider...So you are a hook'n release her?

from jaybp30 wrote 2 years 33 weeks ago

from abcdpete wrote 2 years 32 weeks ago

from Payton Messmore wrote 2 years 32 weeks ago

from ec_nick wrote 2 years 32 weeks ago

from hutter wrote 2 years 32 weeks ago

I saw my ex swimming one day

from coachsjike wrote 2 years 32 weeks ago

my wife caught a glow stick!

from woodpecker wrote 2 years 32 weeks ago

from wisconsonhunter wrote 2 years 32 weeks ago

from jmshackelfo@aol.com wrote 2 years 32 weeks ago

from Winhawk94 wrote 2 years 32 weeks ago

from jughead481 wrote 2 years 32 weeks ago

from scratchgolf72 wrote 2 years 32 weeks ago

from VAHunter540 wrote 2 years 31 weeks ago

from Sliwkanich wrote 2 years 29 weeks ago

(I swear we were not seeing a mirage)

from Woods Walker wrote 2 years 28 weeks ago