Tie Talk: Tying the Booby Frog Fly (Step-by-Step Photos)

FlyTalk

April 05, 2012

Tie Talk: Tying the Booby Frog Fly (Step-by-Step Photos)

By Tim Romano

The Booby Frog fly was designed to look, move and float like a real frog does on a pond, while staying easy to cast with a lighter fly rod and remaining completely snag free.

Admittedly, the Booby Frog is not the world's easiest fly to tie. But I have to say that it is one of the most creative and innovative warm-water patterns I've seen in a long time so I felt I had to share. If this little bug doesn't make you want to take a little "lunch break" and hit your local bass hole, I'm not sure you can call yourself a fly angler...

Friend and warm-water master Jay Zimmerman had this to say about his latest creation:
"Like a real frog, the Booby Frog does not always float. when it does though, it sits in the surface film at a 45 degree angle with it’s legs splayed out and the big foam eyes popping out of the water. The fisherman need only touch the fly line to get the front-facing rubber legs to twitch back. This is often just the right trigger for the big bass lurking nearby.

This fly has so much great movement and action in the water because the natural materials are not bound to the entire length of the hook shank. The Booby Frog is tied on a large stinger-style hook, but all the materials are tied in at the same 3/16th of an inch of the hook shank directly behind the eye of the hook. This allows the frog body no restrictions in movement.

Also, this frog may be the first ever to offer the bass fisherman a top water fly that rides hook point up (almost out of the water!) completely eliminating the need for any cumbersome and distracting hard-mono weed guards that only partially work. The Booby Frog casts easily with a common trout-weight fly rod and crawls easily and seductively over even the thickest weed beds, logs and lily pads."

Be sure to visit Jay's blog for all the images that go with the tying steps. You can also click here for step-by-step instructions.

from buckhunter wrote 2 years 1 week ago

I really like this pattern but it leads to another question. Horsing a bass out of thick cover is very difficult with a fly rod. Bass will dive into the thick cover and rarely can a rod as limber as a fly rod be able to crank them out. I have resorted to a cheap rod which handles poorly but I'm not afraid to break it. More often than not I paddle my kayak over and land the fish in a ball of vegetation. Anybody have any other tips on pulling big bass out of cover with a fly rod?

from Koldkut wrote 2 years 1 week ago

Buck, pull harder....I've put a rod or two through hell and I have yet to break one on a fish.

from buckhunter wrote 2 years 1 week ago

Koldkut, These are big bass I'm talking about, and the weeds, so thick you can drive a Chevy across them. Lots of bushes, lily pads, mil-foil and other stuff I cannot name. Ideal bass cover. Right now it takes a stiff Loomis spinning rod and braid to crank them over the top.

from tom donohue wrote 2 years 1 week ago

gotta be one of the coolest things ive ever seen.

from Koldkut wrote 2 years 1 week ago

Buck, You should line up a 7'11" 9wt and go practice to fish a tourney, do it up real good, 20lb braided leader...lol, you could be Deeters hero if you pull off a national level tourney win, I have a fly reel designed for it in my head...

from ckRich wrote 2 years 1 week ago

C'mon now Buckhunter, those high priced rods were made to test to the limits. I know you read magazine ads...
One word associated with the higher priced rods that isn't with the cheapy, warranty.

from jamesti wrote 2 years 1 week ago

i only fish for smallmouth here in new york but i think this fly might be a good one to try. thanks.

from bassman06 wrote 2 years 1 week ago

Buck, this is why ugly stick must be made into a fly rod! And my answer is : USE AN UGLY STICK!

from Fat guy Aaron wrote 2 years 1 week ago

Myself and the rest of the Fatguyflyfishing.com guys chase Florida strain bass all summer in the thick stuff. We use 8-10 wt rods with a short leader, it is 3ft of 40lb, 3 ft of 30 lb, and 3ft of 20 with no tippet, It turns the frogs over well and rips them out of the weeds with a quickness. If anybody thinks a fly rod can't do it, they either have the wrong rig, haven't tried hard enough, or have never done it at all.

from Koldkut wrote 2 years 1 week ago

Bassman06, they do make a 9' ugly stick fly rod, hard to find, and they are heavy as a brick, but they are there.

from bassman06 wrote 2 years 1 week ago

Kold, really? I was only joking... I love my casting Ugly

from buckhunter wrote 2 years 1 week ago

Ugly stick has had a fly rod out for at least 25 years.

Thanks for the tips guys but I'm still reluctant to take my fly rod to the swamp. It's fine on small bass but it's not uncommon to catch 6-8 lb fish. Maybe I'm not being clear enough, it's thick. Really thick.

Koldkut, Next time out I'm gonna "pull harder" as you suggest. You might be getting a broken rod in the mail...

from Koldkut wrote 2 years 1 week ago

Buck, do pull harder, if it breaks, I'll be sure to equip you with a rod to get the job done.

from buckhunter wrote 2 years 1 week ago

from Koldkut wrote 2 years 1 week ago

from Fat guy Aaron wrote 2 years 1 week ago

from buckhunter wrote 2 years 1 week ago

from Koldkut wrote 2 years 1 week ago

from tom donohue wrote 2 years 1 week ago

gotta be one of the coolest things ive ever seen.

from ckRich wrote 2 years 1 week ago

from jamesti wrote 2 years 1 week ago

from bassman06 wrote 2 years 1 week ago

from Koldkut wrote 2 years 1 week ago

from bassman06 wrote 2 years 1 week ago

Kold, really? I was only joking... I love my casting Ugly

from buckhunter wrote 2 years 1 week ago

Ugly stick has had a fly rod out for at least 25 years.

from Koldkut wrote 2 years 1 week ago