Petzal: Some Lessons From a Legend

The Gun Nuts

January 27, 2010

Petzal: Some Lessons From a Legend

By David E. Petzal

While at the SCI Convention in Reno, I visited with gun builder D’Arcy Echols, and was allowed to grope one of his left-hand Legend rifles in .270. The Legend was on loan back to him, and here is its history from D’Arcy:

“The gal that owns this rifle has used it on mule deer in Colorado, elk and moose in Utah, and red stag, chamois, and tahr in New Zealand. This year a Yukon moose and grizzly hunt is on the calendar. She shoots factory Remington Safari Grade 140-grain Swift A-Frame ammo. To date nothing has gotten away to die a slow, lingering death. She has taken some ribbing from male hunters in camp for shooting such a minimal caliber but always seems to serve them up a plate of very dry crow to eat at the end of the hunt. She has no other rifle and no plans to acquire another. Beware of the one-gun gal.”

As bullets get better (and A-Frames are about as good as they get), caliber is less and less important. I would hesitate to use a .270 on a grizzly, but if you can kill a 1,000-pound moose with one you can do in a 600-pound bear. If I had not been frightened by Elmer Keith during my formative years, I would not use a .338 so much.

Second, the rifle is as you see it here—not a mark, not a scratch, not a ding, despite considerable use. This is the only way to treat a fine rifle, or any other rifle. People who beat up their guns will either burn in hell for all eternity or be reincarnated as liberal Democrats.

As a side note, some of you have been wondering, "Where the hell are the booth babes?" I have been wondering myself, and am pleased to inform you that as of today, 21 of the SHOT Show's finest are on our website. Click here and enjoy.

from SL wrote 4 years 11 weeks ago

Some of us already noticed the booth babe gallery and how you went from talking about God in one blog entry to booth babes in the next. Sort of like going from Gods hands into the gutter. I always thought it should be the other way around. LOL

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 4 years 11 weeks ago

He he! I don't consider much of anything moving a 140 gr Swift A-Frame over 2,900 fps a "minimal caliber". I prefer a 150+ grainer bumping 3,200 fps, but JMHO.

from Brian Robinson wrote 4 years 11 weeks ago

Interesting point Dave, as bullets improve, the killing power from lesser calibers will continue to improve also. So when can we declare the short magnum era dead?

from crm3006 wrote 4 years 11 weeks ago

Beautiful rifle, and in left hand! I envy her her ability to keep anything she has used so much (and so well) in pristine condition. Everything I use acquires some kind of use mark or battle scar. I was never frightened by Elmer, but do believe the .338 is good medicine for the larger N.A. species.

from Happy Myles wrote 4 years 11 weeks ago

I was at SCI for the entire show visited rifle makers Bolliger, Bansner, and Empire, but not Echols, was not in the market for more firearms and did not want to be tempted. Saved my dough for hunting trips.
Never been able to stick with just one rifle, my addiction as a gun nut is too great. Must confess my "go to" rifles show a lot of hard use even though I take care of them. They have seen much deep jungle, snow in high rocky mountains,rain, and all in all hard travel. Don't think there is much chance of reincarnation as a liberal Democrat, but I may see some of you in Hades. If so will look forward to it. Kindest Regards

from PbHead wrote 4 years 11 weeks ago

Thanks for the Booth Babe photos. It's good to know they are not unemployed. Hopefully, some of the same will be at the NRA convention and I can see them up close and personal.

From Clays archives of bookmarks, places, information and things to read,

ken.mcloud said it best! “So, I think that the superior killing power of larger rounds is largely in our heads.(likely testosterone induced) A flat-shooting round that you can accurately place will produce as many if not more "bang-flop" kills as a heavy caliber round.”

May I add David statement with the improved bullets available, smaller calibers and/or lighter bullet weights can be substituted for flatter trajectory, longer range and just as lethal if not more.

Reguired disclaimer: This opinion does not constitute legal advice. Please consult an attorney licensed to pratice in your jurisdiction. Wear sunscreen, protective eyewear, and hearing protection. Buckle your seatbelt. Call your mother.-The Armchair Outfitter

from MLH wrote 4 years 11 weeks ago

I love it. My type of gal. I am positive that Mr. Echols makes it a point to bring a left-handed rifle to each show just for you. Sounds like he needs to bring some of the rifle owners as well.

God created woman as the most beautiful creature on earth - he did that for a reason. Though sometimes the reason confounds me.

from Clay Cooper wrote 4 years 11 weeks ago

For the 4 years being in Alaska the best BANG FLOPS on Bull Winkles were with the 30-08 with 180 grain over the counter soft points.

Favorite Brown Bear cartridge at that time, was the 338 Win Mag with 210 grain Nosler Partitions.

Echo and agree what David says, TIMES ARE CHANGING AND SO THE WAY WE DO IT!

Who was it who said, the 200 yard shot of yesterday with today's cartridges and advancement in technology has pushed that threshold out to 400 yards!

30-08?

30-06!

AAACCCKKKK!!

I HATE LAP TOPS!

MLH

I got a 7 year old Granddaughter coming on line to hunt next year. She's hell with a air rifle! She is one of my pics with Alex.

from Proverbs wrote 4 years 11 weeks ago

SL - who do you think made the booth babes? God did, no one else. God made women beautiful and desirable in order to make it easy for men to fulfill one of his first commandments to man (not the 10 Commandments), found in Genesis 9:7 "As for you (Noah and sons), be fruitful and increase in number; multiply on the earth and increase upon it." Ever notice that God always tries to make things easy for us, while we always seem to try to complicate things?

The blog about the .270 reminds me of a story in one of my early-1980s outdoor mags that I've kept. In it, a midwest farmer goes to Africa with a .270. The author said he dropped everything on the list (which did not include lion or cape buff) with one shot. ONE SHOT. And he obviously didn't have the fancy bullets we have today.

The author did mention that the farmer always kept his .270 with him on his tractor, and practiced constantly on crows that had the misfortune to land within 300 yards. That should tell us something about shot placement, and especially about practice.

from Amflyer wrote 4 years 11 weeks ago

Proverbs, you might want to sell that speech to Mr. Tiger...might be able to spin the whole "Be fruitful" part.

from SL wrote 4 years 11 weeks ago

Proverbs, God also told you (in the 10 commandments) not to commit adultery which in some christian translations includes lusting over women, so if you or any of the other good christians here are married they maybe need to be careful.

from Happy Myles wrote 4 years 11 weeks ago

It is a given the lady is an excellent markswoman, and left handed to boot. We all know the 270 is a fine caliber. But don't you think the quality of the rifle might have something to do with this equation?

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 4 years 11 weeks ago

Hey Happy,

It's almost never too late to avoid the one-way trip to Hell. Just think of the liberal socialists you'll have to put up with there for eternity! Stalin, Lenin, Roosevelt, Dead Ted, Roosevelt, Clinton, Osama, Obama, Pelosi.......

from squirrelgirl wrote 4 years 11 weeks ago

well i've got several guns and while they are cleaned regularly they are most definately 'used'. branches, gravel and tears of frustration have all marked my guns in one way or another. does that make me a bad hunter?

from Beekeeper wrote 4 years 11 weeks ago

WMH,

I was just going to tell Happy the waiting line will be long with liberal rif raf... you forgot to add a Rodham to that list...

Dave,

What action did Darcy use to build the rifle? Can't really tell, but it looks like a Montana 1999.
People seem to forget those long skinny bullets with sufficient velocity are kind of like that Pink Battery Bunny, they keep penetrating and penetrating and penetrating...

Cheers to lovely women who choose to hunt! I'm glad I married one of them!

from libertyfirst wrote 4 years 11 weeks ago

I'm not surprised at this lady's success with the 270. I believe that it's every bit as good as Jack said it was . My father favorite rifle was a Rem. 721 in 270. He only shot black bear and whitetail but his one shot kills with no tracking was very impressive. I have never been able to keep my rifles from having dings and scrapes but I'm sure gonna try harder if there is a chance I'll come to my final resting spot as a liberal!

from Clay Cooper wrote 4 years 11 weeks ago

I'm scratching my head, I'm thinking Legend makes there own actions?

Looks sweat, even if it's for a South Paw!

from kolbster wrote 4 years 11 weeks ago

there is no doubt in my mind that i would use my 270 for anything in North America. would it be my first choice probably not, i would look more to 300win, 338 or maybe even the smaller 7mm. as to how i take care of my guns, i should be living with the gods, im one of those people who will cry if he puts a scratch on one. im also with clay on this i think Legend makes there own action.

from 86Ram wrote 4 years 11 weeks ago

Awesome.. it's all about the confidence in your abilities and your equipment.
Not to mention discipline, skill and patience.

from crm3006 wrote 4 years 11 weeks ago

Clay Cooper-
FYI- Legend's website says either modified Winchester Model 70 actions, or offers a $600.00 discount for a customer supplied action. I don't know how current this information is.
crm

from MLH wrote 4 years 11 weeks ago

Come to think of it, if you are getting just one gun, this is one to get. If I sold all that I have left ... nah, I like variety.

from Ralph the Rifleman wrote 4 years 11 weeks ago

Ahh the virtues of the .270 Win are never tiring to hear!

from buckhunter wrote 4 years 11 weeks ago

I rescued an old .22 semi from a woman I was visiting just last night. I saw it in the corner of her basement covered in rust. It was her now deceased fathers and she didn't know how to take care of it. Without asking I grabbed it and told her I was taking it home for a good cleaning and then return it. I thought it a shame to see a mans pride and joy neglected.

from Brian Robinson wrote 4 years 11 weeks ago

I am suprised anyone questions the 270 as an Elk cartridge.

from Jim in Mo wrote 4 years 11 weeks ago

Dave, Thank God you've come to your senses and again are talking calibers and bullets.

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 4 years 11 weeks ago

Why would anyone who knows Jack Schitt ever argue that a .270 Win is not an adequate elk rifle? I have posted on several occasions that I'm not in love with the .270 and prefer the 7mm Weatherby, but it is a fine elk caliber with a good bullet (which applies to all).

from Jim in Mo wrote 4 years 11 weeks ago

I always thought if I was going after big stuff I'd load the Partition for elk and A-Frames for bad boys. Remington has been loading the Safari Grade ammo for awhile now and we haven't heard any complaints, I'd use it in a heart beat if I couldn't load it myself.

from O Garcia wrote 4 years 11 weeks ago

for a moment there you had me thinking you were allowed to grope a left handed booth ... but that would be David Letterman, not Dave Petzal.

D'arcy makes fine rifles obviously, but why do they have to cost so much?

Since the Remington guys are so busy acquiring allied businesses, why don't they acquire Swift bullets already?

from O Garcia wrote 4 years 11 weeks ago

WA MtnHunter,

you had to mention Roosevelt twice? Actually that's thrice because you also referred to Ted.

I'm confused.

(Yes, this is a lame attempt at humor.)

from jamesti wrote 4 years 11 weeks ago

sorry, can't imagine having just one firearm. if i don't own one or haven't shot one, i need to have it! kudos to this woman for being such a dedicated hunter.
Dave, i actually thought you were going to let us down on the booth babes this year. thanks for coming through! you didn't grope any of them did you?

crm3006

Thanks for the info!

If I was going to use any action, I have a 03-A3 would be prime for it. Only mod it needs is a Timiny Trigger, but the original two stage is so darn perfect and smooth, I'm not going to mess with it!

from AlaskanExile wrote 4 years 11 weeks ago

Premium bullets are making "real guns" out of a lot of rifles "everyone" knows are inferior.

I can't wait to get some 150 grain Barnes-X bullets loaded up in my 303 British (Winchester 1895).

It's not what you shoot that matters; it's what you hit.

I said that, so you can quote me later, Mr. Cooper.

AKX

from focusfront wrote 4 years 11 weeks ago

I don't know.

Back before we all knew better, guys like Karamojo Bell killed everything including elephants with 6.5 Mannlichers and 7mm Mausers. Lions were killed with .300 Savages. The man eating lions of Tsavo were killed to death with a .303 British Enfield.

Then George Grey used bad bullets with a .280 Ross and got himself converted to lion droppings. The .280 Ross shoots 140 grain bullets to about 2900 fps, but the bullets of the day were not very tough the three Lord Grey put in the chest of a charging lion stayed in the chest muscles rather than penetrating all the way to the lungs, heart, major vessels, shoulder bones, etc.

If George had been able to shoot Swift A-Frames in his Ross, we'd likely be using sane cartridges to this day. Good on that lady with the .270. Not to rouse the shade of Jack O'Connor, but the .270 really is a pretty good round.

from ricefarm wrote 4 years 11 weeks ago

I always wondered where liberal democrats come from. My theory was they were the descendants of the lazy cavemen who sat around the fire and complained about being hungry while the hunters went out and killed something to eat. They then complained that the meat was tough, it wasn't cooked right and there was no salad with the meal.

from ricefarm wrote 4 years 11 weeks ago

I forgot, they also complained that the meat wasn't taken using humane methods. While their women evolved(I use that term loosely) to become Nancy Pelosi and Barbra Boxer, the hunter's women evolved into booth babes. Long live the booth babe!

from Zermoid wrote 4 years 11 weeks ago

As George Carlin said:
"Have you ever noticed that most women who are against abortion are ones you wouldn't want to f**k in the first place?
There's such balance in nature!"

The same concept can be applied to most liberals as well......

from blueridge wrote 4 years 11 weeks ago

Dave Petzel is a bit of a genius...he shows us a wonderful Lady's firearm, and then offers the sales charms of Booth Babes. Now...who is going to complain? Women have to realize they have been given great credit, and the men...well, we are hopeless in either case.

My Lady is planning to take Wild Boar with a 6.5mm Mannlicher [take note, focusfront] in a few weeks. She shoots it like a champ, and likes the little Mannlicher handling quality. There is that left-handed problem though...let's hope that she doesn't see a bolt action in left hand, or I am sunk.

Blue

from SL wrote 4 years 11 weeks ago

"As George Carlin said:
There's such balance in nature!"
The same concept can be applied to most liberals as well......"

So wait, the ones that are against abortion are the conservative ones and if the same applies to liberals what does that leave?? I guess that leaves a lot of lonely men out there to play with their guns.

from Beekeeper wrote 4 years 11 weeks ago

Blueridge,

Don't let her near a Browning A-Bolt Micro Hunter in left hand. If she likes the little Mannlicher she will love the little Browning. Mt wife wouldn't give up her Micro Hunter for anything! Congratulations on your good luck!

from davidpetzal wrote 4 years 11 weeks ago

To Everyone: This Legend, and all other Legends, are based on highly reworked Winchester Model 70s. The reason D'Arcy's prices are high (although nowadays, there is no shortage of gun builders who charge about the same) is because he puts in the amount of time it takes to make a rifle perfect and then puts a price tag on it, whereas other custom builders strike a balance between perfection and final cost.

from Mike Diehl wrote 4 years 11 weeks ago

It's got nice lines.

from bluegraytx wrote 4 years 11 weeks ago

Too many of us seem bent on forcing everyone into a different mold. We see that here in the complaints about the optional display of attractive women. Are such complaints any different than those used by the how-dare-you-own-guns crowd? It's simple, folks: Leave others alone to enjoy what they enjoy. It's called The Golden Rule.

from M1jhartman wrote 4 years 11 weeks ago

Dave, does the scratch/abuse comment apply to duck guns??? 870 Express Synthetic duck guns in particular. You know, the ones that have a Krylon camo job. If so I have sinned. The liberal democrat thing scares the bujeezus outa me.

from Jere Smith wrote 4 years 11 weeks ago

Mr Garcia, MAYBE he meant BOTH Roosevelts, They were cousins you know. Except for being a Hunter & creating the National Park System Teddy was just as sorry as FDR.

from Sneaky wrote 4 years 11 weeks ago

I think it's a shame to take a gun on so many hunts and not have a few scars on it to show for all the effort. I try to take care of my guns, but they get beat a little just from getting out in the woods with me. Surely I won't burn for being clumsy.

from crm3006 wrote 4 years 11 weeks ago

Moishe-
Usually am in complete agreement with you, but can't get by that Teddy was as sorry as FDR. NOBODY was as sorry as
FDR, Jimma the Peanut came close, and obummer is looking to be on track with him, but FDR's deeds, policies and constitutional felonies dwarf anyone to date! Plus, he had four terms to tear down this country. Thank God for the XXII Amendment!

from Bellringer wrote 4 years 11 weeks ago

I do not think that TR should be included on this list. If one were to study the entire career of TR I believe one would come to the conclusion that he was one of the greatest men of American History.

I think that the "Dead Ted" reference was to the late Sen. Kennedy, who has earned his place on the list.

from blueridge wrote 4 years 11 weeks ago

Hey, Beekeeper...will have to check out the Browning A-bolt. What caliber does your bride shoot?

Is she recoil sensitive?

Wild boars take a bit of killing...

Blue

from elmer f. wrote 4 years 11 weeks ago

well Dave, i guess i will have to burn in hell then. i have been hunting for more that 40 years, and i really can not think of a way that a rifle can be usedfor REAL hunting, and not get beat up a little. i suppose if you ride all day on a horse, and only get the gun out of the scabbard when the guide tells you " your animal has arrived, come and shoot it". but then, that, is not hunting, is it. good old hard work, trudging through the thick stuff, swamps, crossing streams on a slippery old half rotted dead tree, climbing hills whether slick from rain, or in a foot of snow, climbing in and out of tree or ladder stands, crawling up on your belly to get that last 10 yards so you can get the shot, and just plain old tripping or falling all have a way of reaching out and touching your favorite rifle. now, i want you to think about it, for more than a few seconds. can you honestly tell us you have never scratched a hunting rifle? or are you a designated shooter, that comes off his high horse when the guide calls you?

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 4 years 11 weeks ago

O garcia

It was pure oversight on my part naming Roosevelt twice, although if the shoe fits.....

I guess I could have just said "Kennedy's" and sluiced a whole flock! I said earlier that I would not speak ill of the late Senator Edward M. Kennedy (D-MA) again. Scumbags are known by the "company" they keep, ha ha! Or the lists they appear on. (snicker)

Cheers

from jim in nc wrote 4 years 11 weeks ago

Hmmmmm. I'm a liberal; I wonder what sins lurk in my previous incarnations.

from Bella wrote 4 years 11 weeks ago

For a while I was a one gun girl, my trusty Savage 24 .22/.410. But then there was that 12 ga. Mossberg 500 I took in for "rent" and after that I decided I wanted to hunt black powder season (requiring another shootin' iron). After that, well I caught the Black Powder Disease and wound up having to get about another eight BP pistols and a couple cannons just to deal with the symptoms. And so it goes. However any firearm is an investment.
I've only gotten a couple of guns in "new" condition anyway, most of my arms had former owners and some of "em look nuthin like they did when I bought 'em. That 10-22 carbine for instance, a gunshow find, it now sports a nice laminated thumbhole stock, extended mag release and a Green Mountain Bull Barrel. Totally different gun now.
You guys out there seem to miss the Simple fact that Booth Babes (should they live so long) inevitably turn into Gramma Pelosi's. I mighta been a booth babe myself once, but now I'm much more like Gramma Pelosi. Simple sociological phenomenon, that young women start out conservative and radicalize with age just as Young men start out radical and get more conservative with age. You doubt this? Contrast The Raging Grannies with all those hippies who voted for Reagan and the Bushes. It all depends on how much you have to loose. Motherhood makes young women cautious (most of 'em) nearly overnight while testosterone filled teen to 20 something males seek excitement and take risks. Young men mature and gain property and social standing (stuff to loose)and grow conservative and cautious as they grow into their primes. Many women wind up working most of their lives, raising kids keeping their husbands happy till Bam! A day happens when (for whatever reason) the kids are permanently out of the picture and husband is dead gone or punted and there she is, with nothing to loose and 5 or 6 axes to grind. At this point she may realize that she is both free and powerful. Then you have another potential raging grannie who just might have been a booth babe once.
As if you young studs out there aren't going to slowly morph into Dave Petzal! Ah there is no Bear like an Old Bear, is there...

from buckhunter wrote 4 years 11 weeks ago

crm3006,
Take it easy on FDR. The New Deal is gonna need some time before you'll notice any change.

Bumper sticker:

{ Piss off a Liberal. Work hard and be happy. }

from blueridge wrote 4 years 11 weeks ago

Hey, Bella...

I really liked your remarks...and I look too much like Petzel to say anything disparaging about him, aging, or raging grannies. Glad to see that black powder bit you...bit me about 1954, when Dad had to drive over a hundred miles to find caps and powder. The last time I saw little oval cans of DuPont powder they were collector's items at a Gun Show.

Some of us crusty old-timers just happened to have married well, and have the wife of our youth by our side, from time to time, out in the field. My Texas gal was a model in her younger years, but the quality within her just kept getting better and better. Of course, I deteriorated, more and more. However, I love women that have that wonderful capacity to enjoy the shooting sports. Power to ya, Bella...and may you live a long and fruitful life. Keep telling it like it is.

Blue

from legendlover wrote 4 years 11 weeks ago

Mr. Petzel, It was a pleasure to meet you in D'Arcy Echols' booth at SCI. Thanks for all the kind words about my rifle. Every time I take it out whether it be for practice or for a hunt, I'm consistently thrilled with it's performance. The customer service that I have received from everyone at D'Arcy Echols and Company is top notch, I can't recommend them enough!

I'm a little surprised at all the talk about the condition of my rifle. It is extremely well built and the materials used makes it resistant to the trauma most rifles endure. I certainly don't "baby" it or myself for that matter. I choose my hunts on the basis of the physical challenge that I will endure. During my elk and moose hunts in Utah, I hiked upwards of 10+ miles per day often changing elevation in 3000 ft. increments.

My guide and I frequently left camp before anyone else and hiked back to the truck long after dark. All the while, my rifle was teathered to my shoulder by a leather sling as I wrestled through thick timber, waist deep brush and climbed over rock outcroppings. The only special treatment my rifle gets is when I zip it into a soft case when I return to the truck. As for New Zealand, while some people choose to navigate the alpine terrain in a helicopter, I did it by putting one foot in front of the other all the way up and down the mountains. I wouldn't have it any other way.

In order to prepare for my hunts, I run 20+ miles a week. The physical challenge of the hunt for me is as important as the final outcome. I can't really see myself sitting atop a horse while having game paraded in front of me. If it comes to that, I'll probably retire my Legend. It order have the best hunting experience possible, I prepare my body as well as carry my .270 Legend.

from crm3006 wrote 4 years 11 weeks ago

legendlover-
Are you really planning to hunt grizzley with a .270? Would really be interested in hearing about your hunt sometime in the future, or any other hunting stories you might want to share. Best of luck with the bear.
crm

from O Garcia wrote 4 years 11 weeks ago

Mr Petzal,

I have no problem with people who make sure guns work as intended. And yes, they should charge something for the "value" added. But when the resulting product from Echols is priced like a Merkel or Krieghoff double, I don't think it's justifiable. If you started with a truly expensive Dakota, MRC, Serengeti, Empire or a brand-new (not reworked military surplus or old commercial) Mauser action, and then ironed out whatever you think is wrong with it, you'd end up with a gun that's probably in the same price range as one of Mr. Echols's rifles. Just wondering...

from sarg wrote 4 years 11 weeks ago

Dave, I agree with you on the way to treat a fine rifle. My Rem.700 in .308 looks as good today as it did in '84 when I bought it. I have a little Stevens single barrel shot gun bought in 1967 for $35.00 that looks like it just came out of the box.... I don't worry about a small ding if the gun is used a lot, but never mistreat one...

from Bella wrote 4 years 11 weeks ago

Gun show, coming this weekend, perhaps I might find another ugly duckling to rehab. As I have previously written I am much more likely to buy an ugly gun and make it pretty than vice versa.
Legendluvr, nice to read your post. Run 20 miles to get ready for a hunt, good for you! I can still walk 20 miles! Good luck with your next foray!

from Mike Diehl wrote 4 years 11 weeks ago

Bella, how far do you go to rehab a rifle? Just curious. I've seen stuff that was cruddy but probably not rusted internally, that with a good complete strip down, solvent bath, and stock refinish, *might* come out well in the end. Stress the "might." But when you start thinking "I might have to replace the barrel" I walk away from them because I doubt I could talk the seller down to what I consider to be a fair price.

Here's another thing. I am *ALWAYS* surprised how many sellers are peddling guns that have not been cleaned. If I can't see a shiny, rust free bore, I immediately mentally discount the price by 50%.

from davidpetzal wrote 4 years 11 weeks ago

To Legendlover: I commented on the condition of your rifle because it looks like one of my using rifles, all of which are pristine. I've noted, among owners of expensive firearms, a tendency to abuse them, as if to say to the world "I have so much dough that I can pound the bejeezus out of this (insert name of rifle here) and not give a damn." Whereas people who truly value their guns take care of them. I congratulate you on your dedication, and if you ever get tired of the .270, D'Arcy knows where to reach me.

from davidpetzal wrote 4 years 11 weeks ago

To M1Hartman: Duck hunting all by itself is sufficient punishment for gun abuse (any gun), high treason, moral offenses against barnyard animals, and mopery with intent to commit loitering.

from crm3006 wrote 4 years 11 weeks ago

davidpetzal-
Most of our rifles are not as expensive as yours. Therefore, is the sin as great? LMAO at your comment on duck hunting!

from davidpetzal wrote 4 years 11 weeks ago

To CRM30/06. Yes. All guns have feelings.

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 4 years 11 weeks ago

Salt marshes, soaking rain, and mud car wreak havoc on any waterfowl gun. Mine don't look too much the worse fro wear, although some of the paint is scratched off my 870. LOL

from Sneaky wrote 4 years 11 weeks ago

I'm not graceful enough to keep my guns pristine. My guns are okay with that. They don't mind being used, so long as I keep the rust off of them. They know I that love them, and that's all that matters.

from Jim in Mo wrote 4 years 11 weeks ago

I may be off base here but last year I was visiting a Legacy site and their action only (not barreled etc), if you was to build a rifle was $400. Please don't tell me it's up to $600 now.

from Mike Diehl wrote 4 years 10 weeks ago

I had a wtf moment at the range, Saturday. A fellow had a mannlicher stocked ruger. I've been looking for an old Ruger 10/22 RSI for a while, and not seeing any, was surprised to see this one at the range. Nice wood. Regrettably, the barrel had a veneer of light rust that may have been transitioning to actual pitting, and the action was cruddy. Looked like the thing had never been cleaned. A nice old gent was showing his grandson about shooting. He mentioned the grandson was going to inherit the firearms (otherwise I'd have offered to buy it from him on the spot). So I gently remarked that old Ruger 10/22 Internationals with really nice wood were kind of scarce, and that maybe a professional stripping and cleaning was in order. And I noted that if the barrel was pitted, it'd be a right fine thing to do to replace the barrel, because then his grandson would have a real fine looking collectible firearm. I also let them shoot some of my stuff. Anyhow, the conversation went well and the old fellow said he'd take it in for service, because he didn't know that they were all that unusual. Said he'd had it forever.

That was a pretty sweet firearm; superficially ugly but lots of potential. I am sure if he cleans it up it'll improve in value and reliability. I hope he does!

from Bella wrote 4 years 10 weeks ago

Gotta love the 10-22. Mine had a scruffy carbine stock in whatever wood they are using and a standard barrel. The barrel was fine but I wanted that Green Mountain Bull barrel and the Laminated thumbhole stock I got from Cabelas was an easy refit. I have other firearms I have modified mostly by carving grips for pistols or having scope mounts added or upgraded. I tried to reblue a barrel with cold blueing but I failed, but at least the blueing is about just as bad as it was when I got it. I try not to get sucked into complicated gunsmithing, I try to be aware of my level of competance, but say refinishing stock components with Formbies is no big deal. I might want to try checkering sometime too. The whole gamut of firearms is soo very vast a body gets the feeling that there will always be something new to learn or a skill to refine. There is no end...and that is wonderful to me, as always learning is my first weapon versus Alzheimers! When there is nothing new left to learn then I will likely die of ennuie...

from Gunslinger wrote 4 years 10 weeks ago

The high price of this weapon apparently is hidden smeplace, not to be found by ud egulr guys. zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzto me, looks like any regular 270 wood stock gun that has been wel caed for. But, I think you will find most female huntes take better care of their weapon than most men. I just bogt my first 270 but got it on a syn stock, as its not my go to firearm when i spend thousnds for a hunt. Looks lke a Model ll0 Savage of years go by and nothing wrong with those fiearms, just no resale value. I would want a little moe horsepower than a 270 for Griz's but here again, shot placement is the answer. I hope I'm plesed wit m 270 in MT come Oct. of nt then back to the 700 in 06 using Rems Sciroccos l80 gr.
A so called expert ask me a while back had i ever taken a l80 gr Rem plain Jane Core-loktans split down the ver tip end about l/2" or more. He swears it will kill anything he shots at????I wonder where the 2 sections go if they seperate r just one huge ball lead going wherever it so choses. I did that to a 22 LR once killed the sqirrel, but never found the lead part.

from ishawooa wrote 4 years 6 weeks ago

Decades ago when I moved to Wyoming a .270 Win was the biggest rifle I had so it was what I used. I killed just as much stuff then and as I now with a safe full of various calibers. I understand Petzal's relationship to the .338 as I share it also probably because of Elmer. Since early on I was undecided who was the most experienced and authoritative I have also always had a .270 just in case Cactus Jack shows up at camp one night. A guy can't be too careful. In reality both guys used a considerable number of various calibers, but like us they too had their favorites.

from focusfront wrote 4 years 11 weeks ago

from Bellringer wrote 4 years 11 weeks ago

from MLH wrote 4 years 11 weeks ago

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 4 years 11 weeks ago

from Beekeeper wrote 4 years 11 weeks ago

WMH,

Dave,

Cheers to lovely women who choose to hunt! I'm glad I married one of them!

from crm3006 wrote 4 years 11 weeks ago

from crm3006 wrote 4 years 11 weeks ago

Clay Cooper-
crm

from Jim in Mo wrote 4 years 11 weeks ago

from Bella wrote 4 years 11 weeks ago

from Happy Myles wrote 4 years 11 weeks ago

from blueridge wrote 4 years 11 weeks ago

Blue

from Ralph the Rifleman wrote 4 years 11 weeks ago

Ahh the virtues of the .270 Win are never tiring to hear!

from Clay Cooper wrote 4 years 11 weeks ago

Echo and agree what David says, TIMES ARE CHANGING AND SO THE WAY WE DO IT!

30-08?

from Mike Diehl wrote 4 years 11 weeks ago

It's got nice lines.

from M1jhartman wrote 4 years 11 weeks ago

from Jim in Mo wrote 4 years 11 weeks ago

from PbHead wrote 4 years 11 weeks ago

from AlaskanExile wrote 4 years 11 weeks ago

It's not what you shoot that matters; it's what you hit.

I said that, so you can quote me later, Mr. Cooper.

AKX

from jim in nc wrote 4 years 11 weeks ago

Hmmmmm. I'm a liberal; I wonder what sins lurk in my previous incarnations.

from Brian Robinson wrote 4 years 11 weeks ago

I am suprised anyone questions the 270 as an Elk cartridge.

from Proverbs wrote 4 years 11 weeks ago

from 86Ram wrote 4 years 11 weeks ago

Awesome.. it's all about the confidence in your abilities and your equipment.
Not to mention discipline, skill and patience.

from 86Ram wrote 4 years 11 weeks ago

Awesome.. it's all about the confidence in your abilities and your equipment.
Not to mention discipline, skill and patience.

MLH

from Clay Cooper wrote 4 years 11 weeks ago

I'm scratching my head, I'm thinking Legend makes there own actions?

Looks sweat, even if it's for a South Paw!

crm3006

Thanks for the info!

from davidpetzal wrote 4 years 11 weeks ago

from davidpetzal wrote 4 years 11 weeks ago

from davidpetzal wrote 4 years 11 weeks ago

To CRM30/06. Yes. All guns have feelings.

from ricefarm wrote 4 years 11 weeks ago

from ricefarm wrote 4 years 11 weeks ago

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 4 years 11 weeks ago

from crm3006 wrote 4 years 11 weeks ago

legendlover-
crm

from Mike Diehl wrote 4 years 11 weeks ago

from bluegraytx wrote 4 years 11 weeks ago

from Happy Myles wrote 4 years 11 weeks ago

from buckhunter wrote 4 years 11 weeks ago

from blueridge wrote 4 years 11 weeks ago

Is she recoil sensitive?

Wild boars take a bit of killing...

Blue

from blueridge wrote 4 years 11 weeks ago

Hey, Bella...

Blue

from Amflyer wrote 4 years 11 weeks ago

from libertyfirst wrote 4 years 11 weeks ago

from O Garcia wrote 4 years 11 weeks ago

D'arcy makes fine rifles obviously, but why do they have to cost so much?

from O Garcia wrote 4 years 11 weeks ago

D'arcy makes fine rifles obviously, but why do they have to cost so much?

from O Garcia wrote 4 years 11 weeks ago

WA MtnHunter,

I'm confused.

(Yes, this is a lame attempt at humor.)

from Sneaky wrote 4 years 11 weeks ago

from Sneaky wrote 4 years 11 weeks ago

from crm3006 wrote 4 years 11 weeks ago

davidpetzal-

from Mike Diehl wrote 4 years 10 weeks ago

from jamesti wrote 4 years 11 weeks ago

from Bella wrote 4 years 11 weeks ago

from sarg wrote 4 years 11 weeks ago

from buckhunter wrote 4 years 11 weeks ago

crm3006,

Bumper sticker:

{ Piss off a Liberal. Work hard and be happy. }

from Zermoid wrote 4 years 11 weeks ago

As George Carlin said:
There's such balance in nature!"

The same concept can be applied to most liberals as well......

from SL wrote 4 years 11 weeks ago

from O Garcia wrote 4 years 11 weeks ago

Mr Petzal,

from Jim in Mo wrote 4 years 11 weeks ago

from ishawooa wrote 4 years 6 weeks ago

from Bella wrote 4 years 10 weeks ago

from Gunslinger wrote 4 years 10 weeks ago

from Jere Smith wrote 4 years 11 weeks ago

from SL wrote 4 years 11 weeks ago

"As George Carlin said:
There's such balance in nature!"
The same concept can be applied to most liberals as well......"