Kel Tec Refines its New 15-Round Bullpup Shotgun Before Release

The Gun Nuts

May 13, 2011

Kel Tec Refines its New 15-Round Bullpup Shotgun Before Release

By David Maccar

I recently came across an update from Kel Tec on their new bullpup KSG pump shotgun that garnered so much attention at this year’s SHOT show in January and that Phil Bourjaily called the most innovative new shotgun. This video shows how Kel Tec addressed concerns brought up by folks who got to handle the weapon at the trade show.

Most notably, the original 15-round-capacity (14 shells in two 7-round tubes, plus one in the chamber), 26.1” long shotgun had some problems with the trigger reset. If a shooter fired the weapon and kept the trigger depressed while cycling the pump, the trigger would not reset when released leaving the shooter with a chambered round and a dead trigger...like this:

This seemingly glaring problem has been rectified. This trigger-reset flaw may have been what many perceived as misfires or jams in some YouTube videos of the KSG prototypes being fired.

There were also some concerns about the placement of the pump release where a finger could easily be caught between the pump and the frame. It was replaced with an ambidextrous butterfly switch that keeps fingers out of harm’s way.

Ports have been added along the length of both magazine tubes so shooters can quickly see how many rounds they have in each.

It seems the obvious design flaws that became apparent in potential shooters’ hands at SHOT have been addressed and Kel Tec says the guns will ship at the end of 2011. Let’s see if any other problems crop up by then. I hope not, because I’m still extremely excited for this gun’s release.

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 2 years 48 weeks ago

That's what I'm talkin' about! Next best thing to a Street Sweeper! That is a bang-up truck gun for sure.

from Mike Diehl wrote 2 years 48 weeks ago

It's an overpriced plastic doorstop.

from 99explorer wrote 2 years 48 weeks ago

It looks more like a musical instrument than a gun.

from Clay Cooper wrote 2 years 48 weeks ago

What ever happened to hold the trigger back and pump away like the Winchester model 12?

Speaking of Kel Tec, have an update for country road,

Q: Has anyone tried the Kel Tec PMR30? Thirty rounds of .22 mag. in the magazine---hold me back. This is the first gun I've seen in a while that gives me a serious case of the "I wants".
Question by country road. Uploaded on January 01, 2011

Reply from Clay Cooper wrote 18 weeks 6 days ago

A couple of weeks ago, I researched the background of the quality and accuracy of the Kel Tec PMR30. All I could find is nothing but Bozo's emptying the mag as fast as he can without showing the accuracy of.

Far As I'm concerned the Jury is still awaiting for facts!

I got totally screwed when I bought my Springfield XD45 and Springfield admits the problem and says they can fix it for $210 buck. DO WHAT YOU SAY!

Far As I'm concerned the Jury is still awaiting for facts!

I got totally screwed when I bought my Springfield XD45 and Springfield admits the problem and says they can fix it for $210 buck. DO WHAT!

Update as of today.

Sold the Springfield, emailed Kel Tec and never got a reply. Took the money from the Springfield and replaced it with A HK45, PROBLEM SOLVED!

Perhaps David Maccar can take it from there?

from Drew McClure wrote 2 years 48 weeks ago

Clay owners of the PMR30 site jamming issues, but anyone with a Ruger mark, or a Browning Buckmark 22lr that shoots one often and with cheap ammo will not be fazed by predictable performance, they all will occasionally fail to eject, or jam, the PMR30 is as much fun as you can have with a supped up plinker, I also want one and am hoping they make a chrome one and change the deign. As for this zombie decapitator, not my cup of tea.

from Clay Cooper wrote 2 years 48 weeks ago

AJ my Ruger MK-II never had a jam yet

from country road wrote 2 years 48 weeks ago

Thanks for the update, Clay Cooper. I haven't run across anyone who can give me a first hand account of that Kel Tek, and I'll wait for further reports.

from Clay Cooper wrote 2 years 47 weeks ago

If Kel Tec would let me test drive the PMR30 and I like it, I'll be more than glad to post the story along with pictures of the targets and buy it to at or below the price I would pay for one! I have plenty of 22mag to burn!

from Clay Cooper wrote 2 years 47 weeks ago

I got thinking about this peace of equipment, the Kel-Tec Shotgun (KSG).

I can see it now, it's o'dark thirty and some fool is trying to kill you and you just emptied out. Now your fumbling in the dark trying to reload this broom stick and by design, speed loaders will not work.

from BobGWI wrote 2 years 47 weeks ago

Why is there a box of condoms - Centurian, on the desk?

from Nyflyangler wrote 2 years 47 weeks ago

Is there any state where this gun would actually be legal to use for hunting?

from focusfront wrote 2 years 47 weeks ago

Let's see. Just over two feet long, holds fifteen rounds, ambidextrous, light, powerful enough to kill an elephant or anything else (check these websites out)

We'll all need to get one of these.

from REM7400 wrote 2 years 47 weeks ago

bobgwi-because chad is an idiot and he thought he'd see if he could get away with it.

cooper-if you emptied out a 15 round pump shotgun i hope you at least bought yourself enough space to reload.

from ZCORR wrote 2 years 47 weeks ago

I'm sure it has some functionality for breaching but for the price and the futuristic look of it I'd rather go with a different option... but that's not to say if one was donated to me I'd have some fun with it.

from Tim Platt wrote 2 years 46 weeks ago

My son in law is a Deputy and he can't wait to get his hands on one. I can't wait until he gets it so I can play with it too. Every gun is interesting and a brand new adventure to me. It is like being in high school and on a first date... you just are filled with anticipation to see what wonderful or terrible things can happen. It is the wonderment of the unknown.

from Dave_Maccar wrote 2 years 43 weeks ago

@BobGWI - Just for the sake of clarity, Centurion is a brand of ammo, but condoms sure would have added some mystery to the video. --DM

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 2 years 48 weeks ago

from Mike Diehl wrote 2 years 48 weeks ago

It's an overpriced plastic doorstop.

from Clay Cooper wrote 2 years 48 weeks ago

Speaking of Kel Tec, have an update for country road,

Question by country road. Uploaded on January 01, 2011

Reply from Clay Cooper wrote 18 weeks 6 days ago

Far As I'm concerned the Jury is still awaiting for facts!

Far As I'm concerned the Jury is still awaiting for facts!

Update as of today.

Perhaps David Maccar can take it from there?

from 99explorer wrote 2 years 48 weeks ago

It looks more like a musical instrument than a gun.

from Drew McClure wrote 2 years 48 weeks ago

from Clay Cooper wrote 2 years 48 weeks ago

AJ my Ruger MK-II never had a jam yet

from Nyflyangler wrote 2 years 47 weeks ago

Is there any state where this gun would actually be legal to use for hunting?

from country road wrote 2 years 48 weeks ago

from Clay Cooper wrote 2 years 47 weeks ago

from Clay Cooper wrote 2 years 47 weeks ago

I got thinking about this peace of equipment, the Kel-Tec Shotgun (KSG).

from BobGWI wrote 2 years 47 weeks ago

Why is there a box of condoms - Centurian, on the desk?

from focusfront wrote 2 years 47 weeks ago

We'll all need to get one of these.

from REM7400 wrote 2 years 47 weeks ago