Browning Shotguns: A First Look at the New Humpback A5

The Gun Nuts

October 11, 2011

Browning Shotguns: A First Look at the New Humpback A5

By Phil Bourjaily

Browning shotguns has a new humpbacked semiauto. It’s called the A5 in honor of its predecessor, the Auto 5, but the similarities end with the squared-off receiver. This new A5 is an inertia gun that uses the same operating system made famous by Benelli. The gun was just announced at the Browning sales meeting and it won’t be available until the first quarter of 2012.

I had a chance to shoot one last month at a writer’s gathering in South Dakota, so here’s a preview:

The A5 is a light 3-inch 12 gauge gun, weighing a hair under seven pounds with a 28-inch barrel. Outside, it looks like a Browning, while inside, it looks similar to my Benelli Montefeltro.

While it has the Browning humpback receiver, it has nowhere near as much drop as an Auto 5 and the stock comes with shims to adjust the fit. I found it to be an easy gun to carry, point and shoot.

We experienced no malfunctions with pheasant loads, although some of the guns were picky about cycling slow, 1 ounce loads, which were lighter than the gun is spec-ed to shoot. Being an inertia, not long-recoil gun, it lacks the Auto 5’s bouncing, pogo-stick recoil. It kicks harder than a gas semiauto, but less than a fixed breech gun.

The A5 has the speed load that is a Browning hallmark. When you push the first shell most of the way up the magazine tube, the shell is whisked into the chamber and the bolt slams shut behind it. It’s a handy feature when your gun is empty and ducks are falling in to the decoys.

The carrier stop button is big and easy to find on the bottom of the receiver, even with gloves on. The safety button, like that of the Gold and Silver shotguns, is big, easy to use, and very easy to reverse to left-handed.

This gun – and some other new Brownings – have a new choke tube system called Invector DS (for “double seal”) which has threads at the top of the tube an a brass band around the bottom which acts as a seal to keep plastic and powder fouling from getting in between the choke and the threads.

It will be available in black synthetic, walnut and blued steel and camo, starting at $1,400.

from Oryx wrote 2 years 27 weeks ago

Oy! Get some walnut and bluing on that Browning!

from dneaster3 wrote 2 years 27 weeks ago

Oryx, follow the link to Browning's website and you'll see three versions: camo, black synthetic, and walnut/blued.

from Harold wrote 2 years 27 weeks ago

Sounds like "Back to the Future"! On the walnut/blue version they might want to do a little engraving-just like the old model.

from ALJoe wrote 2 years 27 weeks ago

I love my "Ole Humpback". I also purchased a Browning Gold that I now use for turkey hunting. It is also a wonderful gun. I am glad you gave us a heads up where we can start saving money now. If I can save the cash I will purchase one the day they go on sale!

from Sayfu wrote 2 years 27 weeks ago

Slightly under 7 lbs!!!!!!! Now there is the key feature....lt. wt.!!! The square back probably also allows for the spring area behind the bolt that I would think is easier to remove, and clean like the improved Inertia system in the Vinci Benelli. Pretty slick. An interesting feature of the inertia system is the time feeling delay as the gun cycles. That delay creates a feeling of less kick...at least for me, and I brought that up to a big, sporting clays guy that has a Montefeltro to cycle many boxes of shells through it on doves hunting in Mexico every year, and he says the same thing about the inertia system guns.

from jjas wrote 2 years 27 weeks ago

The new Remington Versa Max looks like a benelli, the new Browning A5 has the operating system of a benelli.....

Why not just buy a Benelli instead of a copy of a Benelli?

from ishawooa wrote 2 years 27 weeks ago

For some unknown reason I could always shoot an A-5 better on flying birds than most other shotguns. Consequently over the years I believe I have owned all versions and gauges made by Browning, Remington, and Savage. They were always dependable as long as I kept the ring and spring adjusted properly plus a bit of oil on the magazine tube. When the SBE came out I changed over to them for all waterfowl and some upland. So I find this particular Browning interesting but obviously am not in the market since I have some original A-5s and several Benellis. Regardless this is interesting but I doubt that future sales will reflect the deep devotion that old Browning shooters had for the A-5.

from Ontario Honker ... wrote 2 years 27 weeks ago

You had me all excited there for a minute thinking Browning was bringing back a classic (like the 16 guage Model 12 many years ago).

Sounds like this will be a great gun. Glad to see they are only offering it in 3" magnum.

from Ontario Honker ... wrote 2 years 27 weeks ago

Personlly, I have never been a fan of light shotguns. They swing "too easily" for me. Even for pheasants I do a lot better with my old 870 3" magnum than my much lighter Browning Light 12. Perhaps if I shot more clays I might appreciate a lighter shotgun. But for pass shooting geese or jump shooting pheasants I like the smoother pull and follow of a heavier gun. Never shot a Benelli so not familiar with its unique recoil characteristics. The description above sounds interesting.

from Oryx wrote 2 years 27 weeks ago

OH, the lightness isn't there for the shootin', it's there for the totin'.

from FOX wrote 2 years 27 weeks ago

The ugly ones always tend to perform well in my experience and that sure wasn't designed for its looks. None of the real good guns are known for their looks anyway.

from Mark-1 wrote 2 years 27 weeks ago

The 12-ga weight is the most attractive feature. My 1100 12-ga scares 8-lbs [or more] and feels like 8-tons [or more] after a day lugging it in the Uplands.

This A5 price scares me as does the Benelli Ultra Light. The Franci I-12 is a nice shotgun at 1/2 the price, but weighs almost as much as the 1100.

Does this Browning cycle as fast as a Benelli?

from Sayfu wrote 2 years 27 weeks ago

Mark-1.. Cycling is a joke. Cycling is a marketing scheme used by the gun mfger's. See bird shoot...shoot again. If your eyes are looking at what you are shooting at, you can not squeeze the trigger faster than the cycling time...bang, bang, bang...they will all accomplish that.

from jjas wrote 2 years 27 weeks ago

Safu quote "jjas Because we want a square back. Because you want to carry a 12 ga. under 7 lbs.!!"

If you want to carry a 12 gauge under 7 lbs you might want to look at the Benelli this gun apparently pays homage to.

The new Vinci and Super Vinci weigh about 7 lbs. The m2 in 12 gauge weighs about 7 lbs too. This new Browning weighs anywhere from 7lb 3 ozs to 7 lbs 7 ozs (according to Browning's website).

But the Benelli doesn't have a hump back. That's true.

from lesley jones wrote 2 years 27 weeks ago

who can really afford all of these new guns

from Sayfu wrote 2 years 27 weeks ago

jjas...The Benelli's are good guns. I own two of them, like one, and the other is confined to the duck blind, my Nova, because of where they have placed the safety. The thing I like what is going on, is a lot of gun mfger's are coming out with new guns, new features, and lighter wt. models for the 12 ga. which is popular. Benelli, no doubt, has spurred much of these new shotgun features from other mfgers in that Benelli sales took off with their new design features a few years ago.

from Nixstyx wrote 2 years 27 weeks ago

I'm with jjas, why not shoot a Benelli? Especially when the price on the A5 is $1400! A Vinci costs the same, weighs the same, is easier to clean (since it breaks down in seconds), and and cycles those slow 1 oz. loads without trouble (Mine has cycled everything I've thrown at it flawlessly). Plus, there's a 3.5" version for those of you who enjoy punishing yourself. What does the A5 offer that Benelli hasn't already perfected?

from Sayfu wrote 2 years 27 weeks ago

Why not? Because the friggin safety is at the FRONT of the trigger guard on the Vinci..greatest conservation of birds position for a safety known to gun owners.

from Tim Platt wrote 2 years 27 weeks ago

I have an old Belgium A-5 that stays home while I kill game with my Remington 1100. It just shoots where I look. That's all that matters...

from jbird wrote 2 years 27 weeks ago

Boy I sure longed for my Grandpa's old Auto 5. Alas, it went to another grandson, but I did get the pre-64 Model 70, .270, from my Grandpa well before he passed away, so I was pleased and the vultures got to fight amongst themselves after he passed.

I bet this will be a good gun.

When new technology comes along the competition is bound to adapt and eventually adopt it. The examples in the firearms industry alone are countless.

I just wish Browning would make A gun in the USA. I capitalized "A" because they don't make ANY gun here to my knowledge.

from Tim Platt wrote 2 years 27 weeks ago

My brother in law has a new one that is made in Belgium and assembled in Portugal...

from Mark-1 wrote 2 years 27 weeks ago

Sayfu, you make a good point. I can't pull the trigger faster than a 1100 can cycle, nor with a Beretta auto. I'm zoning on the target/bird so I doubt I'd notice the faster Benelli cycling.

BTW: 1100's can cycle most light 12-ga target loads. I use 7/8 oz target loads. Of course, I drilled out the 1100 gas ports to #44.

from Ralph the Rifleman wrote 2 years 27 weeks ago

Looks like a nice gun, Phil; But over the last 15+ years of shooting an O/U I bearly use anything else! I am so used to the BANG-BANG, reload sequence, I think I would sob like a child if I used anything else!?
That camo pattern is really cool, too!

from z41 wrote 2 years 27 weeks ago

Better start saving my money.

from white bison wrote 2 years 27 weeks ago

This might seem to be a "dumb" question...but I can't help
thinking when I see the prices on these shotguns...the new
Browning, Benelli, Berettas...
Why such a high price? The question makes me wonder what the profit margin is? It seems like one gun maker follows the other on pricing...it makes me curious about whether the high prices are justified? I know, I know, the dollar isn't what it used to be, inflation, modern costs, etc. But still does anyone else wonder if the prices are really justified, or are we getting ripped off...just a bit?! How much does it take a manufacturer to make a shotgun with modern methods?
Its sure makes you wonder, doesn't it? And actually, the Gun Makers have a niche market with enthusiasts willing to pay through the nose..they know that too!
Best Regards, Tom

from Sayfu wrote 2 years 27 weeks ago

Mark - 1 I doubt that the Benelli does cycle faster. It is the slow cycling of a Benelli that modifies the "perceived" kick. It is if I hear the delayed cycling when I shoot my Benelli Montefeltro...but has no effect on my firing multiple times. The gas guns cycle faster IMO. The spring that cycles the shells on the Benelli's..the tension of the spring has to be modified to include the cycling of the low brass to high brass, heavier loads.But, as I said, it is all marketing hype that our gun cycles faster than the other guys gun.

from rob wrote 2 years 27 weeks ago

Finally, another really ugly auto loader that fills no niche.

from Mark-1 wrote 2 years 27 weeks ago

White, 1100's and old Browning A5's were never cheap guns to buy, at least new. I gagged at the Remington 2011 price lists. Used Remington's can be had at reasonable prices since there's lots of them.

Beretta autos are pricey, but in line with 1100's.

The Benelli's I've seen are over-priced IMO. A person can buy a new Franchi at a fraction. Except for cosmetics its almost the same gun.

I'm withholding opinion on this new Browning. I haven't seen one in the flesh.

from Barry Cole wrote 2 years 27 weeks ago

Me thinks that the ones who loved the A5 are pining for a repeat of that old bastard, and will, some of them, buy this. I also think that a lot of them (older guys that loved the A5) are gone, and that A5 classic is still somewhat revered, but only because its a classic. Like knowing your Dad drove a Studabaker or has a 1960 Fairlaine in the garage all oiled and looking pretty. You don't look for Studabakers (even if they had modern crap under the skin), and you don't take the old Fairlaine out for stump jumping and long road trips. The officianados will snort at the fact that the hump isn't the same, as big, or as obtrusive, and most of us that never loved an A5 will not be drawn to a 'hump' we didn't like it when we saw the first one. I'm thinking it won't be a big seller. But I've been wrong before.

I have never met an A5 owner/regular user that doesn't say he finds other guns easy to use, and likes that big cinder block to line up on, right in his line of sight. There is something to getting used to a thing, that's where the comfort lies.

The reason most of the guns are getting Binelli guts, is because Binelli owns most all the companies mentioned, don't they? REmington is still their own company, but loads of the others are one, now. Right?

from Barry Cole wrote 2 years 27 weeks ago

I meant that A5 owners commonly say that other guns are harder to use; i.e. the A5 users like the hump.

from shane wrote 2 years 27 weeks ago

At that price, this thing is doomed. You can get a Beretta A400 for just a dash more. It cycles everything, looks better, is "more premium", is just as light, and kicks less. You can get a Versa Max that cycles everything (apparently this doesn't even cycle everything 3" and under) for less. Not to mention the Maxus, SX3, Vinci/Super Vinci...

Who in their right mind would buy this when you can get better guns for less?

from shane wrote 2 years 27 weeks ago

The choke seal is good stuff, though. Maybe that's where you're paying that extra $200-400 optimism fee...

from bikecop wrote 2 years 27 weeks ago

Just looking at it. I think that it looks more like a Beretta.I will get one just to get it.I have old LT 20,and a LT 12,and some gold hunter. Im just a Browning Guy. I would like to see it look a little older instead of the modern stream line of guns.Like in a earlier comment all the newer guns all look alike and use the same choke tubes,(winchester,Browning)and ect... But why make a new version of the a-5,just keep it the same as it was in the old days.Look at what happen to Coke they came out with the New Coke but then Changed it back to Coke a Cola Classic.I think that you are right it will not be a Big Winner.But maybe if the price is more around the 500 to 600 mark.Look at the 1911 A1 in .22 cal, for the money I can buy a Kimber 45. I just might be better off getting and old Colt 1911 A1.But anyway I would like to see the square bake a little bit higher and a more older look. Thanks Bikecop

from RES1956 wrote 2 years 27 weeks ago

Another inertia shotgun, oh brother,,,,,

from canardnoir wrote 2 years 26 weeks ago

Still too heavy for us old folks.

The Benelli Ultra Lite will be difficult if not impossible to beat! And their 20 ga. SS will be impossible to top!

from canardnoir wrote 2 years 26 weeks ago

Today - MSRP or Retail price is a function of product liability.

Because so many morons and some mentally deranged have been allowed to own and/or use guns, the legal system has driven the cost of firearms production much higher. And very little has to do with computerized CAD/CAM machine time.

Just look at the price of a replacement barrel. Now they're priced higher than the original cost of the entire shotgun they fit!

from Sayfu wrote 2 years 26 weeks ago

canardnoir....good informative post on product liability. I sure believe your assessment on morons owning guns, and raising the price of a firearm. But you are a little overboard on your Benelli thing as the only gun in town. Brownings are not shabby guns, and lots of shotgunners luved the squareback. And now this one is lt. wt. and cycles just like a Benelli. And it looks like they have the safety in the right place!!

from sdditchpig wrote 2 years 26 weeks ago

Sayfu, The shotgun that has killed more game than any other shotgun in history, the model 12, has the safety in front of the trigger, almost all beretta autos also. I shoot 303's I live in SD., and kill a lot of birds, I build, and checker custom shotgun stocks when I'm not shooting. I will not carry a shotgun with the safety behind the trigger, and I will beat you to a none pointed bird every time. A400 3 1/2 beretta will cycle, a 3/4 oz. reload. and the safety is in the right place, no I don't own one, but would like to.

from Sayfu wrote 2 years 26 weeks ago

sdditchpig...I would bet a lot of money twer a survey taken...a big survey, that many, many more shotgunners would prefer the safety at the back of the trigger guard. Might even give you odds.

from sdditchpig wrote 2 years 26 weeks ago

Sayfu. Your probably right, there are a lot of remmington, and benelli shooters out there. All I can say to that is that it took a long time to get old grampa out of that ford, and into that toyota, now ask ford how hard it is to get him back. Why would the vinchi guns have the safety were they are? It costs more to put them there.

from Doug6136 wrote 2 years 26 weeks ago

Auto-5s aren't only for "old guys." I am 38 years old and grew up with them in my family. I love 'em. I was very excited when I read the press release on this gun, but I am unsure if I will get one. My Light 12 does everything I need it to do, and does it well. Putting my A5 into early retirement does not sit well with me. I imagine many other A5 devotees feel the same way. To me, Mr. Browning got it right the first time.

from Sayfu wrote 2 years 26 weeks ago

Sddit..The Model 12 had the safety up front?...then I was wrong about the position of the safety..must just be me and a few others that have shot a lot of shotguns, just never experienced one with a safety up front. Interesting discussion about the A5 replica. I see little wrong with the Inertia system of cycling. That has a proven success of sales. As far as some saying their is better looking guns, that is in the mind of the beholder. This is designed for guys that like that design. I personally do not, and gave my A5, grandpa's gun, to my brother.

from deerhun21 wrote 2 years 25 weeks ago

benellis and remingtons. are JUCK!!! brownings name says it allthe best there is totaly buy one if it came with a fully riffiled barrel like the my dads auto5 browning has. browning makes the best guns ithica deer slayer is right up there with browning.

from deerhun21 wrote 2 years 25 weeks ago

Does anybody know if the new browning auto 5 will come with a fully riffled barrel or will you be able to buy one.

from patrickflanagan wrote 2 years 17 weeks ago

man that gun is ugly.... would I like to have 1 yes. haha

from kevinkey wrote 2 years 13 weeks ago

John Browning would roll over in his grave if he knew about this.

from Mitchell Clark wrote 9 weeks 1 day ago

what should I get wooden or cameo? if the wood get bang up you will see the dents but if you have cameo if you bang It up , the cameo will come off and rust. I don't know what to get

from jjas wrote 2 years 27 weeks ago

Why not just buy a Benelli instead of a copy of a Benelli?

from Oryx wrote 2 years 27 weeks ago

Oy! Get some walnut and bluing on that Browning!

from ishawooa wrote 2 years 27 weeks ago

from Oryx wrote 2 years 27 weeks ago

OH, the lightness isn't there for the shootin', it's there for the totin'.

from jjas wrote 2 years 27 weeks ago

But the Benelli doesn't have a hump back. That's true.

from lesley jones wrote 2 years 27 weeks ago

who can really afford all of these new guns

from Nixstyx wrote 2 years 27 weeks ago

from Tim Platt wrote 2 years 27 weeks ago

from jbird wrote 2 years 27 weeks ago

I bet this will be a good gun.

from Tim Platt wrote 2 years 27 weeks ago

from Harold wrote 2 years 27 weeks ago

from ALJoe wrote 2 years 27 weeks ago

from Ontario Honker ... wrote 2 years 27 weeks ago

from Ontario Honker ... wrote 2 years 27 weeks ago

from FOX wrote 2 years 27 weeks ago

from Mark-1 wrote 2 years 27 weeks ago

Does this Browning cycle as fast as a Benelli?

from Mark-1 wrote 2 years 27 weeks ago

from Ralph the Rifleman wrote 2 years 27 weeks ago

That camo pattern is really cool, too!

from z41 wrote 2 years 27 weeks ago

Better start saving my money.

from rob wrote 2 years 27 weeks ago

Finally, another really ugly auto loader that fills no niche.

from Mark-1 wrote 2 years 27 weeks ago

Beretta autos are pricey, but in line with 1100's.

I'm withholding opinion on this new Browning. I haven't seen one in the flesh.

from Barry Cole wrote 2 years 27 weeks ago

from Barry Cole wrote 2 years 27 weeks ago

from shane wrote 2 years 27 weeks ago

Who in their right mind would buy this when you can get better guns for less?

from shane wrote 2 years 27 weeks ago

from bikecop wrote 2 years 27 weeks ago

from canardnoir wrote 2 years 26 weeks ago

Still too heavy for us old folks.

from canardnoir wrote 2 years 26 weeks ago

Today - MSRP or Retail price is a function of product liability.

from Sayfu wrote 2 years 26 weeks ago

from Sayfu wrote 2 years 26 weeks ago

from Doug6136 wrote 2 years 26 weeks ago

from Sayfu wrote 2 years 26 weeks ago

from deerhun21 wrote 2 years 25 weeks ago

from deerhun21 wrote 2 years 25 weeks ago

from kevinkey wrote 2 years 13 weeks ago

John Browning would roll over in his grave if he knew about this.

from Mitchell Clark wrote 9 weeks 1 day ago