Thompson Center’s New Multi-Caliber Rifle Platform: The Dimension

The Gun Nuts

January 19, 2012

Thompson Center’s New Multi-Caliber Rifle Platform: The Dimension

This isn’t a standard bolt action rifle, it’s a whole new concept in terms of how to have a multi-caliber platform in one system.

from Sarge01 wrote 2 years 12 weeks ago

Dosen't excite me especially since it is made by T/C.

from chuckles wrote 2 years 12 weeks ago

And people think Savage makes ugly rifles. I normally don't care that much about looks but that is about as bad as it gets.
Which begs the question, how does it shoot?

from Clay Cooper wrote 2 years 12 weeks ago

Doesn't give me all that much thrill either

from Joseph Bishop wrote 2 years 12 weeks ago

Who cares how it looks!!! If your buying rifles to stare at then you need to learn what they were made for!

If it functions well is what matters. If it does work well then I can't imagine it not selling really well! I know I will be looking for one to show up in my local shop, and looking to read some real evaluating articles on it.

-1 Good Comment? | | Report
from scratchgolf72 wrote 2 years 12 weeks ago

i dont understand how something like that can attain any type of accuracy...

from scratchgolf72 wrote 2 years 12 weeks ago

i dont understand how something like that can attain any type of accuracy...

from Sb Wacker wrote 2 years 12 weeks ago

"it’s a whole new concept" no its not, didn't Dave mention the Blaser R8 at last years show?

It is a very very ugly piece of design but the price! That's very reasonable in comparison to the Blaser/mauser offerings. Hopefully Mcmillan will bring out the stock it couldn't have at that price point.

This could be a very big seller for Tompson in Europe, where legally the action is the rifle, so when you're limited on the number of rifles you can have, more barrel and blot head sets gives you more guns

SBW

from Walt Smith wrote 2 years 12 weeks ago

Why would you want a ugly gun that shoots multi calibers by changing barrels constantly when you can own a good looking gun that shoots one caliber (30-06) that has something like 20 different bullet weights-thus covering many different calibers with style and simplicity??

from Sarge01 wrote 2 years 12 weeks ago

Guns are like wives. We have to look at them all of the time and life is too short to have to look at ugly ones. It also helps that my pretty guns shoot outstanding also.

-1 Good Comment? | | Report
from vtbluegrass wrote 2 years 12 weeks ago

I am guessing discontinued after a year of production.

from jeepsandguns wrote 2 years 12 weeks ago

If it's affordable and accurate, I don't care how it looks. Come to think of it, I hope a deer stops and stands still long enough to comment on how ugly it is.

from sarg wrote 2 years 12 weeks ago

Who aboutlooks, well it does to me...matterwould want it, besides someome said it didn't

from sarg wrote 2 years 12 weeks ago

Sorry guys, I did proofread before sending....Should have said, "who would want it and yes it does matter what it looks like to me...When I show the guys a new rifle or when I look at it, I want it to look good...old fashioned,yes I am...

from sarg wrote 2 years 12 weeks ago

I like your post Walt, spoken like a true Smith...I would ratherhave two guns shooting two calibres than one gun shooting three or four calibres...Still old fashioned....what say you Clay?

from A Wild Beast at... wrote 2 years 12 weeks ago

I like the concept of take-down and multi-caliber rifles, but the Blaser R8 looks a lot better than this TC (although it costs a lot more).

Also, there are too many tools to change calibers in this TC. Maybe they keep evolving the concept and come with a rifle that is really practical.

Please, read my blog at http://awildbeastatheart.blogspot.com

from coyotehunter1 wrote 2 years 12 weeks ago

The TC bolt action Icon and Venture are actually excellent shooters that guarantee sub-MOA. Thats pretty impressive since the Venture cost less than $500. As for Savage making ugly guns I think functioanlity speaks volumes and my Savage that I bought for $400 with a scope will shoot 1/2" five shot groups at 100yds. It really doesn't get better than that. Someone once told me its better to come in first that to look good first and come in second.

from NHshtr wrote 2 years 12 weeks ago

Seems as though a bunch of gun makers are coming out with "platforms", even in shotguns.

Don't know why they think there's a big market for that. As a few others have said before, I'd rather own one gun and shoot light to heavy loads (e.g..30-06,.308). Or just buy another gun.

Besides, what about the impact on the gun safe companies?

from 1uglymutha wrote 2 years 12 weeks ago

i like the modular concept. for me though, it's all about how the gun handles, points and shoots from field positions. can't know 'till you try it. a multi-caliber gun that fits me and shoots well is a plus. especially at an attractive price point. but, if you try it and don't like it, is it easy to resell? we'll have to wait and see on this one. if it proves popular we might give it a go.

from Douglas wrote 2 years 12 weeks ago

I have owned a TC Encore for years and love it. That said, I have spent a fortune on it getting it set up for trigger,after market springs, different barrels, scopes, etc.
All because it came from the factory needing "adjustments".
I cannot imagine that this new concept will be user friendly at all.

from Mike Schuster wrote 2 years 11 weeks ago

I have not tried it but you are too negative guys. I have Blaser and it does shoot good as well as Merkel. If you go hunting to foreign country you might want having several barrels for different hunts. Plus, it is fun to have something unusual.

from AK-one-shot wrote 1 year 22 weeks ago

I like the barreled action very much. I have several single shot rifles from different manufacturers with up to three calibers. My
primary interest in this rifle is hunting. I got mine in July 2012, and it shoots well. I get some clover leaf three shot groups, then ruin it with two more shots but it is awfully close to MOA even with my shakes and 65 year old eyes.
The two calibers I have selected for this rifle are .270 Win., and 9.3X62 Mauser. That should keep me hunting everything I'm likely to encounter from Moose to Sitka Blacktails. (and Brown Bears)
I would like a more conventional stock like the Venture, but T/C customer support has chosen not to answer any of my (5) letters.
If you like the current stock as it is now, or you can live with it, It is smooth, the trigger is good, the safety is functional but does not lock the bolt when on safe. Accuracy shoulkd be MOA for a younger person. I would reccomend you buy the caliber(s) you want and go shoot it.
AK-one-shot

from Walt Smith wrote 2 years 12 weeks ago

from Sarge01 wrote 2 years 12 weeks ago

Dosen't excite me especially since it is made by T/C.

from chuckles wrote 2 years 12 weeks ago

Which begs the question, how does it shoot?

from Clay Cooper wrote 2 years 12 weeks ago

Doesn't give me all that much thrill either

from jeepsandguns wrote 2 years 12 weeks ago

from A Wild Beast at... wrote 2 years 12 weeks ago

Please, read my blog at http://awildbeastatheart.blogspot.com

from scratchgolf72 wrote 2 years 12 weeks ago

i dont understand how something like that can attain any type of accuracy...

from scratchgolf72 wrote 2 years 12 weeks ago

i dont understand how something like that can attain any type of accuracy...

from Sb Wacker wrote 2 years 12 weeks ago

SBW

from vtbluegrass wrote 2 years 12 weeks ago

I am guessing discontinued after a year of production.

from sarg wrote 2 years 12 weeks ago

from sarg wrote 2 years 12 weeks ago

from sarg wrote 2 years 12 weeks ago

from coyotehunter1 wrote 2 years 12 weeks ago

from NHshtr wrote 2 years 12 weeks ago

Besides, what about the impact on the gun safe companies?

from 1uglymutha wrote 2 years 12 weeks ago

from Douglas wrote 2 years 12 weeks ago

All because it came from the factory needing "adjustments".
I cannot imagine that this new concept will be user friendly at all.

from Mike Schuster wrote 2 years 11 weeks ago