The NFL—Look, Coach, No Guns

The Gun Nuts

December 04, 2013

The NFL—Look, Coach, No Guns

By David E. Petzal

The National Football League, as we all know, is a repository of American virtue. It believes in courage, dedication, hard work, sacrifice, and placing the team before yourself. It has produced great athletes who were and are exceptional men as well—Merlin Olsen, Walter Payton, Roger Staubach, Jerry Rice, Bart Starr, Alan Page, and on, and on.

That's one side of the coin. On the other side we encounter some unpleasant statistics. The average NFL career lasts less than 4 years. Despite their huge salaries, 78 percent of NFL players file for bankruptcy within 5 years of retirement. The odds on being a physical wreck at the end of a career are excellent, as is the chance of sustaining permanent brain damage from repeated concussions.

And there is this: NFL players have a predilection for violence off the field. Since the 2013 Super Bowl, 31 NFL players have been arrested for various errors in judgment such as murder, attempted murder, assault, gun charges, flight to escape arrest, and other neat stuff that is very unusual for young men who went to college and make as much in a year as most people make in a lifetime.

That's why it came as something of a shock when the NFL rejected a Daniel Defense ad that the company wanted to run in the course of the 2014 Super Bowl. The NFL prohibits ads for gun and ammunition, but the ad does not mention guns or ammunition.

It simply states a political and legal belief.

After the rejection, Daniel Defense offered to replace the logo—a gun—with a slogan, but the NFL said sorry, no way, again.

It's possible that this is nothing more than hypocrisy. But the real reason, I think, is that the NFL is trying to protect its investments. The oversized guy who crashes his $150,000 custom SUV into a house and breaks down the door with his fists to strangle the family inside may be someone's number one draft pick, and all those millions his team spent on him would go right down the drain if some terrified homeowner shot him in self-defense.

And we can't have that now, can we?  It's…un-American.

See the news report and videos about the NFL ban here.

from gator fan 2017 wrote 19 weeks 20 hours ago

Very true david

from OutdoorEnvy wrote 19 weeks 19 hours ago

Not surprising

Still though, I like football, and love guns :)

from Harold wrote 19 weeks 18 hours ago

Well, they're not as hypocritical as the movie industry, whose producers, directors,stars and celebs routinely call for gun control, all the while making untold millions of USDs by portraying gun violence!

from buckhunter wrote 19 weeks 17 hours ago

Since the crack down on steroids the league is getting younger and younger. Teams no longer have the old guys which take the younger guys under their wings and set them straight. It's young thugs raising young thugs.

from NHshtr wrote 19 weeks 17 hours ago

As you say, it's just hypocrisy. The NFL knows it has a reputation for player off-field violence (perhaps it's 'roid rage). So they're out there looking for ads for baby shampoo or "feel good" beer ads to off-set it.

I don't think they worry much about player safety. They also know they have a "concussion" problem, but want to extend the season by two more games and also send players to Europe (think time-zone issues) to play regular season games.

from Tim Platt wrote 19 weeks 16 hours ago

I guess gun nuts are politically incorrect these days... no surprise to me. For the NFL guns are a red herring. Too many thugs in the league that have never been told no and like to carry without legal permission and get in trouble every time they turn around. They are no longer role models, unless you want to be a brain dead troglodyte with bad knees. Still fun to watch them beat the crap out of each other.... go Colts.

from Treestand wrote 19 weeks 16 hours ago

JMO~~I call for a Boycott of Super Bowl 1/2 Time and all ads by changing to a Cooking channel or Hunting, Camping,Fishing. BUT keep a Radio on.If every one in the Gun/Hunting/Sports Community would DO this, It will drive the Super Bowl Ad Ratings Down. NOW in my neck of the Woods That's PAY BACK!! If this sounds Good by God pass it ON.

from crm3006 wrote 19 weeks 15 hours ago

I will go you one better, Tree. I call on every NRA member to totally turn off the boob tube on Super Bowl Sunday, and really give the National Felony League something to think about. I will damn well assure you that me nor mine will be watching. Good day to go shoot trap. Don't even have to clean birds or buy a license. Piss on the hypocritically politically correct NFL.

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 19 weeks 11 hours ago

I can't recall the last Super Bowl that I watched. Maybe 1984 when the Raiders smushed the Deadskins?

from WyoTom wrote 19 weeks 9 hours ago

Seriously, what does a Superb Blow ad cost, like a zillion bucks? Daniels Defense's move was brilliant, cost-effective PR. They had to know the NFL was going to put down their ad "buy," and in the process, the company's gotten about 10 zillion in free publicity, just on Fox News alone.

from Ontario Honker ... wrote 19 weeks 7 hours ago

Given the problems with image of NFL players being hoods with guns, it makes sense to me that the organization would want to distance itself from things like guns.

I'm with WAM. I very rarely watch an NFL game these days. Once you've watched Canadian pro football it's hard to go back to American style. The game up here is SOOOO much more exciting. Wider field, only three downs, everybody in the backfield can move before the snap, etc., etc. It moves right along. US football is boring by comparison.

-6 Good Comment? | | Report
from semp wrote 19 weeks 5 hours ago

NFL needed to make more time for Miley Cyrus's bionic Tongue show :-)

from JCB wrote 19 weeks 4 hours ago

NFL will not sell air time to Daniel Defense but will sell ad time to Bloomberg's mayor's against guns. Bravo to Danial Defense for putting the NFL on the spot and exposing their hypocrisy. No more hiding in the shadows because you enjoy shooting and hunting. Push back stand on your rights.

from kudukid wrote 19 weeks 3 hours ago

More evidence that America has become very ill, and under the community agitator, more divided than at any period other than the War Between the States.

from tootall75 wrote 19 weeks 3 hours ago

One of the many things these days that make you shake your head and wonder what the world is coming to. On a separate note David, I recently picked up the Field & Stream Rifle Guide, it's a great read. I have the Total Gun Manual on my Christmas list so this should be a good apetizer, looking forward to see what tidbits are in it.

from kudukid wrote 19 weeks 3 hours ago

Tim Platt:

I wonder, is something a right if you have to get "legal permission" to exercise that right? Sounds more like a privilege to me, sorta like going to the DMV and getting mug shot.

-1 Good Comment? | | Report
from Amflyer wrote 19 weeks 2 hours ago

Dissapointing? Yep.

Am I outraged? Nope.

The NFL is a private corporation, or organization, or whatever legal entity they have decided saves them the most money and protects them from the most lawsuits. As such, they can choose whatever they want to show or not to show on their commercials.

I'm more impressed that they have control of what commercials FOX has on their network. That's a lot of control given up by the network, if that's the way it works.

from Tim Platt wrote 18 weeks 6 days ago

Kudukid, in the US of A rights are taken away from felons. They can no longer vote or own guns. I do not have a problem with violent criminals being denied access to guns, and where I live it is very easy to get a carry permit. It is not much of a hindrance to me or anyone I know personally. In fact I wish the gun laws were more strictly enforced.

from kudukid wrote 18 weeks 6 days ago

Tim Platt:
A great many rights are taken away from violent criminals including access to firearms. Of course they have to be proven guilty first.

BTW, the NYPD has just issued letters to those on their registration lists regarding ALL LONG GUNS that can hold more than 5 rounds. They have to be given to the police, moved out of NYC, or permanently altered to reduce the capacity to 5 rounds. Goodbye Winchester 94 and Model 12. Goodbye Marlin 39. Goodbye Remington 8 and 81 - and on and on. Here is a place to go where gun laws are strictly enforced!

Have you picked up your permit to speak yet? Oh wait, that's considered a right and no permission is required.

If you have to get permission from someone to exercise a right, it is no longer a right.

from RJ Arena wrote 18 weeks 6 days ago

It is O.K. to have an ad for a movie where the actors are shooting up the place during the Superbowl, But you cant run an ad about a family man wanting to protect his home? Just a little hypocritical!

from wittsec wrote 18 weeks 6 days ago

What I like about David is the wonderfully cynical way in which he writes. The NFL is out for money period. It won't air anything that is considered unacceptable to more that 5 or 6% of the population and no level of morality will change that.

from Trap12 wrote 18 weeks 6 days ago

The NFL seems determined to embrace political correctness on all fronts, not realizing that in doing so, it is ushering in its own demise.

from davidpetzal wrote 18 weeks 6 days ago

To Tim Platt: "Brain-dead trogdolyte with bad knees" is very good. I may steal it at some point. I hereby appoint you a person of taste and culture.

from FirstBubba wrote 18 weeks 6 days ago

"Mmmmm....Mungo like DEP!"

from Tim Platt wrote 18 weeks 6 days ago

Dave I am humbled and honored. By the way, did Swarovski ever send you that Z6i scope I told them you needed? Time to send another round of e-mails... I think I've got them on the ropes.

from davidpetzal wrote 18 weeks 6 days ago

To Tim Platt: For the past several years Swarovski has sent me one of their wildlife calendars, but not this year, and aside from that I haven't heard from them. I don't think you have them on the ropes.

from 5280Shooter wrote 18 weeks 6 days ago

DEP: Since I can't make any kind of a sensible segue from your post to my question, I will just come out and ask you-did you ever make it to Maine and did you take the .338? Please share.

from 5280Shooter wrote 18 weeks 6 days ago

Dave, since I have been hunting for the past 2 weeks and am a bit behind I will drop another quick question- are you familiar with the Elmer Keith book Gun Notes and would you recommend it?

from davidpetzal wrote 18 weeks 6 days ago

To 5280 SHooter: Thanks for asking. I didn't take the .338. I took my hard-luck .280, which continued to have hard luck. Saw a very nice 8-pointer the first day but couldn't get a shot at him.

I believe I have read Gun Notes, and I recommend it because Elmer was always entertaining, but a lot of what he had to say is now dated, and you had to take him with a grain of salt anyway.

from coachsjike wrote 18 weeks 6 days ago

hypocrisy? hmmmm....sounds more like communism.

from coachsjike wrote 18 weeks 6 days ago

dave,
since we are on the subject of guns. i am looking to purchase the smith wesson m&p 10 in 308. what's your opinion? how accurate is it and what kind of groupings can i expect?

from coachsjike wrote 18 weeks 6 days ago

dave,
will it work well as a deer rifle?

from Tim Platt wrote 18 weeks 6 days ago

I was being facetious, they didn't respond and they're probably not coming off of squat. Maybe if I write in German and sign it Herr Doktor Ralph.

coachsjike your rifle will not only do a bang up job on deer, but it will scare all of the other hunters out of the woods too! Less competition is better. Just kidding, I can't help myself. For $1,700 I hope they are accurate. Guns & Ammo did a test on it in April and the writer said he would have to close his eyes and slap the trigger to get it to shoot over a minute of angle with Winchester Supreme 168's. His was excellent. Do you want a black rifle or are you looking at the camo model?

from 5280Shooter wrote 18 weeks 6 days ago

Many thanks Dave and I recall your words about the .280... your 'perfect rifle'. Give it another chance and I'm sure the luck will find you soon.

from coachsjike wrote 18 weeks 6 days ago

Tim Platt

camo would be cool but black works, thanks for the info

from davidpetzal wrote 18 weeks 6 days ago

To cochesjike: Any .308 will work as a deer rifle. There are few cartridges that will do as well in so many roles. As for the S&W rifle, that is an answer so complex that it will comprise a new post, for which I thank you.

from MJC wrote 18 weeks 6 days ago

+1 to WyoTom. This was a great PR move. Daniel Defense never thought this ad would actually be aired during the Super Bowl. Aside from it's relation to firearms, it just doesn't have enough pizzazz to be a Super Bowl ad. Any commercial that is shown during the big game has either, A: a budget that makes NASA jealous or B: scantily clad female celebrities. The network and the NFL would rather you had both.

By submitting an ad they knew would never be aired, they got over 100,000 views on YouTube and mentions in various media outlets. It's a PR coup.

from fox4 wrote 18 weeks 6 days ago

I can understand the NFL trying to disassociate their brand from guns due to the number of negative interactions with NFL players and guns. Makes me wonder when the NFL will stop advertisements about cars and alcohol. If I was running the NRA, I'd want nothing to do with the NFL.

from MICHMAN wrote 18 weeks 6 days ago

I used to be a huge football fan and played the game competively for 8 years. I am not the fan I used to be... it is now more of a corporate version of modern-day Gladiators. Throw the young and dumb into the ring and use them up. The multiple issues surrounding former participants is staggering...young deaths, criminal behaviors, concussions, bankruptcy, domestic violence etc. etc. The corporate NFL promotes lewd halftime acts and the naughtier the better commercials. Dollar, dollar bills is their religion of choice. Now instead of watching football, I spend all that more time in the woods doing what I love...spending time with family and friends HUNTING!

from MReeder wrote 18 weeks 5 days ago

This is just the latest step Roger Goodell has taken to drag the NFL down the road of political correctness -- meaning left all the way. He had already instituted mandatory "sensitivity training" -- or as they used to call it in Soviet Russian; brain washing -- for any player guilty of uttering comments generally held by about 90-percent of his fan base. A month or so ago we learned the NFL in general, and the Ravens in particular, would be pushing Obamacare. Now, he and the NFL are joining forces with those who would make gun ownership some kind of mental or social disease. I don't really know what you can do about, other than to refuse to buy any official NFL products. I don't do that already; but I will make a point of writing the NFL to say why I do not buy their products and never will as long as the league is using its influence to undermine my rights and to foist programs off on me that I do not want. Too bad Goodell doesn't spend any of his time trying to improve his product, which features erratic officiating, lousy tackling and all-around play that aspires to mediocrity, at best.

from tunadave wrote 18 weeks 5 days ago

Comments on a couple of the issues being discussed here.
(1) I quit watching the Stupid Bowl when Terry Bradshaw retired from football. IMHO, it was better back then.

(2) My son was grumping about using his Browning A-Bolt in .300WSM as a still-hunting rifle in our Upper Peninsula. Said he needed a brush gun. I told him to get a M&P in .308 with a decent red dot, and he'd have the best gun going. He told me I had too much of a fascination with red dots; that a scope was better for a bumped buck (of course he's never used a red dot), and why would he want a black rifle. I told him that was why our military doesn't have scopes except for sniping: for fast accurate target aquisition, like what he wants to do, it's the best sight for the job. His friend and I, both veterans, just looked at him, shook our heads, and smiled. But I guess I thought I had all the answers too when I was his age.

from firedog11 wrote 18 weeks 5 days ago

Yup the sports network that has drunken fans fighting in the stands, murdering each other in the parking lots and advocates being drunk in public and drunk driving after the game is all over that dangerous gun issue. It is why I no longer go to games. Congress banned cigarette ads, why they haven't banned beer ads is beyond me because they are marketed exclusively to kids.

from 1uglymutha wrote 18 weeks 4 days ago

The commissioner of the NFL "earns" a salary of slightly more than thirty million bucks a year for basically doing nothing. Would you want to do anything to jeopardize such a cushy "job"?

from O Garcia wrote 18 weeks 3 days ago

Tommy Lee Jones as Agent Kay, "Men In Black": A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it.

Mainstream media, Hollywood types, media people who think they're Hollywood types, Piers Morgan (deserves his own category), other "celebrities", these are the people who form people's opinions today, because people are too lazy, too conformist to think for themselves. The NFL follows one very important rule: follow the money. If a social media storm erupts due to the Daniel Defense ad (stoked by the media, Hollywood types, media people who think they're Hollywood types and Piers Morgan) then the NFL will see its other advertisers withdraw, because those advertisers are gutless themselves. They wouldn't risk losing their "angry" customers. Just look at what happened to The Masters golf tournament.

In "Armageddon" Col. Sharp (played by William Fichtner) pulls a gun on Harry Stamper (Bruce Willis), and Chick (Will Patton) reacts "what are you doing with a gun in space?" I would like to think that since space in an alien environment and you don't know what nasty life form you might encounter there, bringing a gun makes sense. But to Hollywood scriptwriters and those who worship everything Hollywood, it doesn't. That's how twisted the people's opinion about guns has become.

from TinEagle wrote 18 weeks 21 hours ago

DVR the game. Start watching an hour or two after it starts, fast forward through the commercials and you will watch the ending at the same time as everyone else - without seeing the commercials. I watch it for the football, not for shopping.

from Gunny Bob wrote 17 weeks 3 days ago

As a pacifist, vegan, US Marine, member of the VFW and Force Recon Association, and life member of the DAV, and having milled about smartly in five war zones while toting assorted guns and explosives and comm gear and optics and maps and grease pencils and batteries and body armor and original Anti-Monkey Butt Powder and knives and "E" ("e"?) tools and "C" ("c"?) rats and packs (M1941 through ALICE), I abhor violence and all its mindless trappings. I applaud the NFL for taking this principled stand whilst not being at all surprised that SFC Petzal, late of the United States Army, has chosen to conduct this vile drive-by attack on so honored and ethical an institution as the NFL. A wanton succubus who to this day skulks about the woods around the teeming metropolis of Eustis, Maine carrying weapons of gore and grim death, it did not surprise me when I saw on "Entertainment Tonight" that he is not only wanted for questioning by the Royal Canadian Mounted Police in regards to an incident involving him kicking a grayling in the face along the banks of the Kazan River, but also the government of Costa Rica for an appalling act of graphic depravity involving that poor, slow, dimwitted sloth.

And he owes me money, too.

from JCB wrote 19 weeks 4 hours ago

from Harold wrote 19 weeks 18 hours ago

from WyoTom wrote 19 weeks 9 hours ago

from semp wrote 19 weeks 5 hours ago

NFL needed to make more time for Miley Cyrus's bionic Tongue show :-)

from crm3006 wrote 19 weeks 15 hours ago

from coachsjike wrote 18 weeks 6 days ago

Tim Platt

camo would be cool but black works, thanks for the info

from davidpetzal wrote 18 weeks 6 days ago

from fox4 wrote 18 weeks 6 days ago

from tunadave wrote 18 weeks 5 days ago

Comments on a couple of the issues being discussed here.

from Gunny Bob wrote 17 weeks 3 days ago

And he owes me money, too.

from gator fan 2017 wrote 19 weeks 20 hours ago

Very true david

from OutdoorEnvy wrote 19 weeks 19 hours ago

Not surprising

Still though, I like football, and love guns :)

from NHshtr wrote 19 weeks 17 hours ago

from Tim Platt wrote 19 weeks 16 hours ago

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 19 weeks 11 hours ago

from FirstBubba wrote 18 weeks 6 days ago

"Mmmmm....Mungo like DEP!"

from davidpetzal wrote 18 weeks 6 days ago

from 5280Shooter wrote 18 weeks 6 days ago

from 5280Shooter wrote 18 weeks 6 days ago

from davidpetzal wrote 18 weeks 6 days ago

from coachsjike wrote 18 weeks 6 days ago

hypocrisy? hmmmm....sounds more like communism.

from coachsjike wrote 18 weeks 6 days ago

dave,

from coachsjike wrote 18 weeks 6 days ago

dave,
will it work well as a deer rifle?

from MICHMAN wrote 18 weeks 6 days ago