Discussion Topic: Tiny LEGO Gun Spells Big Trouble For Student

Field Notes

February 05, 2010

Discussion Topic: Tiny LEGO Gun Spells Big Trouble For Student

By Dave Hurteau

And now, the very latest in the ongoing absurdity of zero-tolerance, from The Staten Island Real-Time News:

Patrick Timoney, a fourth-grader at PS 52, South Beach, was nearly suspended after playing with LEGOs during his lunch period because one of the action figures was carrying at toy machine gun.

He and his friends had planned a playdate with their respective toys, and were sitting around the cafeteria table when the principal walked in and saw the action figure carrying the fake gun. . . .

"She took him into her office in the middle of the lunch period and he was crying," said the boy's mother, Laura Timoney. "He was afraid."

The principal called Ms. Timoney and said she considered the toy suspension-worthy, and that she was going to double-check with a security administrator from the city Department of Education.

In the end, the administrator decided against suspending the boy. Apparently, they were satisfied with just terrifying the poor kid.

from NolanOsborne wrote 4 years 10 weeks ago

Are you F***ing serious? Are we really becoming that retarded?

from the_golf_guy wrote 4 years 10 weeks ago

This may sound ridiculous....but my opinion? This principal should be immediately fired.

How are we going to ever stop being this stupid unless we turn the tables on the people making these irrational decisions, and keep them just as accountable as the things they are supposedly enforcing?

If I made decisions at my job that were this common senseless, I would be fired? And I'd deserve it.

I'm too mad just thinking about it to comment further. Stupid is a disease that needs just as much money and effort thrown at it as any other out there.

Just one guy's opinion.

the_golf_guy

from Mike Diehl wrote 4 years 10 weeks ago

I consider the principal to be suspension worthy. She sounds like a powerhungry megalomaniacal b**ch who gets off on hurling her authority around and scaring children.

from RJ Arena wrote 4 years 10 weeks ago

I am not going to blame or defend the Principal, it is the zero tolerance policies that are the # 1 culprit- then administrators that are afraid of their school boards show no backbone. I ask parents to tell their boards of ed. that these type of 'zero tolerance" policies are to be eliminated and allow common sense rule.

from WVOtter wrote 4 years 10 weeks ago

The whole zero tolerance aspect is just a cowards approach. They'd rather take the lumps of being silly or unreasonable rather than, Lord forbid, put some thought into something and risk making the wrong ruling or having to decide what, if anything, is a reasonable call.

from salmonquest wrote 4 years 10 weeks ago

zero tolerance policy or not the principal can choose what she "sees" How about this; just keep walking. This is absolutely ridiculous and makes it that much harder to legitimize suspending real threats. That was a no-win situation and she pushed it. The principal should be on probation with her decision making priveleges monitored.

from salmonquest wrote 4 years 10 weeks ago

golf-guy I agree with you, however I know some knuckleheads that make poor decisions on the job every day....most of them are called congressman. :)

from Koldkut wrote 4 years 10 weeks ago

Dubya-Tee-Eff!

from Jere Smith wrote 4 years 10 weeks ago

The Principal is a retarded b*tch.

from liver5660 wrote 4 years 10 weeks ago

That poor kid was probably sh@$%ting himself, and then they have to find a "Security administrator" all for a Lego gun? I can understand if the kid was packing a air-soft gun, but this is overkill. I hope that school board will re-evaluate that principals competence.

from hengst wrote 4 years 10 weeks ago

I bet the poor kid is on a no fly list .....These liberal idiots are putting nails in their own coffins with this bs (good)...most folks are getting tired of the ignorance

from chongo70 wrote 4 years 10 weeks ago

This story just gets me boiling. Its ludacris. The simplest solution to that problem, if the less than 1 inch gun was so offensive and threatening, would be to just take the the lego man from the kid and maybe, i mean maybe, call his parents to let them know of the situation. I suppose a whole battalion of little green army men, a portrayal of those who protect our rights and freedoms, thank you to all those who serve by the way, would get a student barred from even obtaining an education.

What we really need is more power and regulation so kids don't even get in the doors of the school with such alarming toys! - Extra heavy on the sarcasm there

from skykomishsteelheader wrote 4 years 10 weeks ago

ha ha ha ha ha ha it looks like another person was gone while god handed our brains out. I had a similar incedent in 2nd grade except it was a spinner that I had caught my first trout on and was bringing it to show-and-tell and got it taken away nd then I got into trouble.

from jjas wrote 4 years 10 weeks ago

Common sense has left the building......

from jeffo52284 wrote 4 years 10 weeks ago

poor kid. this principle is an idiot. i agree that she should be fired or at very least have her decision making power suspended and reviewed.

from seadog wrote 4 years 10 weeks ago

I hate to overgeneralize or stereotype people, but the average adult in this country, especially in the urban areas, is an overcivilized wimp. And we're training the kids to be even bigger p-$$ies than their parents. I think I'm preaching to the choir--outdoorsmen tend to raise their children a little tougher than the average.

from Sharkfin wrote 4 years 10 weeks ago

You know what, there has to be a line, zero tolerence political BS!! If a 1" plastic Lego gun is threat then what isn't? This is not about safety, this is about doing everything possible to remove guns from society. This is about doing everything possible to put such a stigma on guns that in 50 years anyone that knew someone that owned a gun will be a monster. Not that it will go down that way but that is the goal. I think there has to be some method to a policy. I think there needs to be some perception of a threat or potential threat. If you think a Lego gun is a potential threat you need to be in someone else's care because you are far to stupid to take care of yourself. Zero tolerance is the wimps way out but it is also pointless. If someone is intent on bringing a gun to school and using it a stupid policy isn't going to stop them. Get a freaking clue!!

from Fisher Boy wrote 4 years 10 weeks ago

sounds besides just like a case of bull, but that this principal has an issuse with either kids, legos or guns, or all three and should be fired for limiting the child's imagination in the little reality or his legos.

from country road wrote 4 years 10 weeks ago

Common sense is becoming an ever decreasing commodity in bureaucracies of all kinds. Incompetence rules. Stories like this makes me shudder when I think of the world that may be waiting for my grandkids.

from J4huntfish wrote 4 years 10 weeks ago

this principal is crazier than those see kittens. i think that is the dumbest thing to suspend a kid for a toy lego gun. for god sakes hes a little boy , little boys like guns. that teacher is crazier than norman bates in psycho

from Sarge01 wrote 4 years 10 weeks ago

I am totally shocked at what the principal did but then I ahouldn't be with all the politically correct bull and the people that don't have enough common sense to fit on the head of a pin. I used to take my shotgun to school in my car and the principal and some of the teachers would all look it over on lunch break. My grandson is an outdoors boy who likes to hunt and I have been scared to death that he will take his pocket knife to school. He is 9 years old and has been a straight A student all through school but the knife would get him expelled probably for a year. I talk to him all the time about not taking the knife to school. I am afraid our country may wake up but it will be to late.

from Joel Panian wrote 4 years 10 weeks ago

What a load of BS! If that would have happened to me when I was a little kid, then I would hope that God had mercy on the soul of that principal when my dad found out. Common sense is apparently not a gift all of us are blessed with.

from Clay Cooper wrote 4 years 10 weeks ago

Sounds just as stupid as North Face suing South Butt for trade mark infringement!

If someone can't tell the difference between there North Face and there South Butt as in this case of a toy, really has a problem!

Called "INTELLECTUALLY CHALLENGED!"

from Clay Cooper wrote 4 years 10 weeks ago

I like to put a plastic mouse in that Principals office!

from OrangeNeckInNY wrote 4 years 10 weeks ago

They're doing a great job of turning "indoctrinated" kids into future conservatives!!

from Bella wrote 4 years 9 weeks ago

While a conscientious parent will not permit a child to take toys to school, This was outrageous. Children need to feel safe and nurtured at school so they can focus on learning without distractions. Zero tolerance policies are in general ridiculous, but how now will they get that child to willingly return to classes when they have caused him so much stress and anxiety.
Some parents feel that children shouldn't receive "war toys" or play violent games. Obviously such individuals have forgotten what it was like to be a kid, cause kids play emulates adult life and allows kids to try different roles. In any world that includes warfare as a possibility, children should also be allowed to play at war, just as they might play at being truck drivers or hairdressers. Back in the 80's when America had no overt conflicts going on social pundits decryed "war toys" and toy guns dissappeared from toy shelves. Come the 90's with war now being perennial, now toy guns are plentiful again. However some folks are still stuck in the 80's. If soldiers are held up as heros (which they should be, unless they tarnish their honor) then children will emulate them, which is also as it should be.
The teacher should have gently confiscated the plastic toy, with the admonition not to bring toys to school and promised to return it at the end of the day. Such an approach would have been so much more effective than the overbearing way that this was actually handled.

from Jere Smith wrote 4 years 9 weeks ago

+1 Bella and all the rest too!

from Paul Wilke wrote 4 years 9 weeks ago

I don't know what the zero tolerance policy really says. But if a child killing several of his fellow student can be the rational to punish a student from playing with a model that has a 1'' gun then perhaps by extension all students that have hands capable of holding a gun should be excluded from school as well.
Zero tolerance does not mean exclusion of all common sense.
Perhaps a lack of good sense is a perfectly good reason to fire a principal.

from dukkillr wrote 4 years 9 weeks ago

Retard. Oh wait, that word is politically incorrect now...

from Clay Cooper wrote 4 years 9 weeks ago

Bella

Well said! and a +1 for you!

from Clay Cooper wrote 4 years 9 weeks ago

From Clays archives of bookmarks, places, information and things to read,

“By the age of six the average child will have completed the basic American education.... From television, the child will have learned how to pick a lock, commit a fairly elaborate bank holdup, prevent wetness all day long, get the laundry twice as white, and kill people with a variety of sophisticated armaments.”
-Russell Baker, “School vs. Education”

“Now, however, the educational system has become the weapon of choice for modern liberals in their project of dismantling American culture.”
-Judge Robert Bork in Slouching Toward Gomorrah

“Education is a weapon, whose effect depends on who holds it in his hands and at whom it is aimed.”
-Josef Stalin, in a 1934-Jul-23 interview

“Who owns the youth owns the future!”
-Adolf Hitler

“We have legal custody of the children and we will do with them as we see fit”
-Susan Etscovitz, an agent of the Massachusetts Department of Social Services, supervising the case of the Bryant family of Waltham Mass., whose only alleged “offense” is home schooling their children with a home-brewed curriculum (Daily News Tribune, "Bryants story goes national", 2003-Jun-20, by Melissa Beecher)

from rabbitpolice88 wrote 4 years 9 weeks ago

plus one for you Mr. Cooper, Parents need to step up and take action. Parents are the ones who are supposed to be in charge of their childrens education. Just like parents are ultimately responsible for training their children and raising them right. As long as the left has control over our young minds in Government school, we can expect these kind of outrages to continue and get worse.

from JohnR wrote 4 years 9 weeks ago

I am not surprised and I have previously and vigorously vented my wrath about "zero tolerance" policies here.
I'm thinking that maybe in an odd way that this is a good thing.
When Mr. and Mrs. Average American, who had no opinion concerning zero tolerance or possibly thought that it was a "good thing", has to actually experience said policy with respect to their child or see a close friend experience a situation like that above, the blinders will indeed come off.
This effect of reversing (my term) has happened with the gun control movement. Gun control was a hot ticket during the 70's and 80's and was a gravy bandwagon for liberal politicians. Somewhere people woke up and realized that if that truly wanted to be safe, they had to take responsibility for it themselves. That factor plus our country's recent military engagements has brought more people in contact with firearms. People have gradually realized (through above stated contact and use of firearms) that the gun control myth is just that. Recent gallop polls support this as the number of prople who feel we need more gun control laws are declining.
I could sum up my whole statement in what my grandpa used to say. "Give an idiot enough rope and he will surely hang himself!"

from Bella wrote 4 years 9 weeks ago

Clay, the Bryant case isn't even relevant here. We home schooled our own kid and the state of Massachusetts gave us no trouble. You have to follow an approved curriculum, and this is a good thing, as some people shouldn't be allowed to teach children, because they will attempt to force their own prejudices on the children or will avoid teaching science, or math or something else they haven't a clue about. Children are our most precious resource and yes the State does have a right to take an interest in what children are being taught, so that the children can grow up to be competent adults. Every parent tries to insulate children from something, but children will eventually lead their own lives for good or ill and children need to get their own life experience. My parents tries to shield me from a lot of things they didn't like (growing up Mormon, you'd guess this) but their efforts at censorship did me no earthly good, but only left me clueless and vulnerable because They Didn't Tell Me anything about the trauma and dangers I actually had to face, leaving me an easy target for abusers. But Abusers always perpetuate abuse, they think of it as a right.
You know nothing about the Bryants, I used to live in Waltham and know the city well. Some people shouldn't be allowed to homeschool, there has to be some kind of basic competency first. Homeschooling is not an excuse to indoctrinate your kids with hate. Albeit that the Waltham official's statement was obnoxious, She has to face the voters eventually herself.

from Pip wrote 4 years 9 weeks ago

Sure glad they are concentrating on this absurdity rather than the education of our children...

At least here in Canada (I can't speak to the US system...) these folks are paid via our taxes; ergo, we should be able to hold them accountable for wasting our time and money...

But clearly, that's not happening.

from Sourdough Dave wrote 4 years 9 weeks ago

Maybe what we need in this free country is a Zero Tolerance Policy prohibiting the Zero Tolerance Policies in our tax funded public schools. This is clearly indoctrination as opposed to security. The only way that Leggo toy gun could be a weapon is maybe as a choking hazard. That principal and any bureaucrat that tries to justify this stupidity should be adding to the double digit unemployment rate. Subjecting a kid to this level of stupidity and leftist indoctrination borders on child abuse.

from 86Ram wrote 4 years 9 weeks ago

What'll be next if automatic suspension for mentioning or reading about guns, hunting or shooting?

This is absurd and I hope that not only do the parents take a stand but they win and force the school board to take a look at their policies and rethink the rules to ensure a child does not become isolated, branded and traumatized over a TOY!

from shawey90 wrote 4 years 9 weeks ago

ahhh another example of the omniscient teacher...what is this country/world coming to?

from DanP wrote 4 years 9 weeks ago

You have to remember WHERE this happened: NYC. These administrators won't get suspended for doing this; they will be promoted.

from mikedelisle09@y... wrote 4 years 9 weeks ago

Playing with a lego go?!? what is it like the size of a quarter? yea this country is going down the tubs..im still in school and i have a principle that suspends me for looking at him the wrong way...he is an A**hole and he thinks he has so much power like most principles do. this kid is in 4th grade he doesnt know and better he's prolly 10 years old..principle sounds like she's stuck up..if anything u tell him you cant have that here or take it..

from agentM192 wrote 4 years 8 weeks ago

stupid czarist principle.

from agentM192 wrote 4 years 8 weeks ago

stupid czarist principle.

from the_golf_guy wrote 4 years 10 weeks ago

Just one guy's opinion.

the_golf_guy

from Mike Diehl wrote 4 years 10 weeks ago

from NolanOsborne wrote 4 years 10 weeks ago

Are you F***ing serious? Are we really becoming that retarded?

from WVOtter wrote 4 years 10 weeks ago

from RJ Arena wrote 4 years 10 weeks ago

from salmonquest wrote 4 years 10 weeks ago

from seadog wrote 4 years 10 weeks ago

from Sharkfin wrote 4 years 10 weeks ago

from Bella wrote 4 years 9 weeks ago

from dukkillr wrote 4 years 9 weeks ago

Retard. Oh wait, that word is politically incorrect now...

from salmonquest wrote 4 years 10 weeks ago

from Koldkut wrote 4 years 10 weeks ago

Dubya-Tee-Eff!

from Jere Smith wrote 4 years 10 weeks ago

The Principal is a retarded b*tch.

from liver5660 wrote 4 years 10 weeks ago

from chongo70 wrote 4 years 10 weeks ago

from jjas wrote 4 years 10 weeks ago

Common sense has left the building......

from jeffo52284 wrote 4 years 10 weeks ago

from hengst wrote 4 years 10 weeks ago

from skykomishsteelheader wrote 4 years 10 weeks ago

from Fisher Boy wrote 4 years 10 weeks ago

from country road wrote 4 years 10 weeks ago

from J4huntfish wrote 4 years 10 weeks ago

from Sarge01 wrote 4 years 10 weeks ago

from Clay Cooper wrote 4 years 10 weeks ago

Called "INTELLECTUALLY CHALLENGED!"

from Clay Cooper wrote 4 years 9 weeks ago

From Clays archives of bookmarks, places, information and things to read,

-Russell Baker, “School vs. Education”

-Judge Robert Bork in Slouching Toward Gomorrah

-Josef Stalin, in a 1934-Jul-23 interview

“Who owns the youth owns the future!”
-Adolf Hitler

“We have legal custody of the children and we will do with them as we see fit”

from Joel Panian wrote 4 years 10 weeks ago

from Clay Cooper wrote 4 years 10 weeks ago

I like to put a plastic mouse in that Principals office!

from OrangeNeckInNY wrote 4 years 10 weeks ago

from Jere Smith wrote 4 years 9 weeks ago

+1 Bella and all the rest too!

from Paul Wilke wrote 4 years 9 weeks ago

Zero tolerance does not mean exclusion of all common sense.
Perhaps a lack of good sense is a perfectly good reason to fire a principal.

from Clay Cooper wrote 4 years 9 weeks ago

Bella

Well said! and a +1 for you!

from rabbitpolice88 wrote 4 years 9 weeks ago

from JohnR wrote 4 years 9 weeks ago

I'm thinking that maybe in an odd way that this is a good thing.

from Sourdough Dave wrote 4 years 9 weeks ago

from shawey90 wrote 4 years 9 weeks ago

from Bella wrote 4 years 9 weeks ago

from Pip wrote 4 years 9 weeks ago

But clearly, that's not happening.

from 86Ram wrote 4 years 9 weeks ago