Discussion Topic: Shoot Better With Your iPhone?

Field Notes

January 27, 2009

Discussion Topic: Shoot Better With Your iPhone?

By Dave Hurteau

From Fox News:

Is your iPhone or iPod Touch a bit too, well, artsy? Not rugged or manly enough for your taste?

Here's the solution: the Bulletflight ballistics calculator, which predicts the trajectory of bullets fired from high-powered sniper rifles by taking into account half a dozen variables including wind speed, distance, outside temperature and altitude.

After digesting all the information, Bulletflight tells you where exactly on the sniper scope you should position your target in order to hit it.

If this were available for sporting rifles, would you use it?

from kolbster wrote 5 years 11 weeks ago

i have one and i love it. it tells you where to put the scope for every shot.

from Mike Diehl wrote 5 years 11 weeks ago

I wouldn't use it. In the time I spent futzing with the gizmo, any animal down range would run away.

from Happy Myles wrote 5 years 11 weeks ago

What's an iPhone?

from peter wrote 5 years 11 weeks ago

no too high tech

from rtmoody wrote 5 years 11 weeks ago

yes, but it depends on price range, it also depends on if you make shots long enough to need such calculations

from buckhunter wrote 5 years 11 weeks ago

No. If I shoot something that far away then I'll just have to go get it. Too much work.

from Mc. Squizzy wrote 5 years 11 weeks ago

Heck yes!

from Nick Jensen wrote 5 years 10 weeks ago

Wait, does this thing actually exist? Blows me away.

from Reid Jones wrote 5 years 2 weeks ago

i would rather buy a calculator itself rather than one on an iphone

from Steve Marlin wrote 4 years 16 weeks ago

Hate to lead off with this but, my answer is "that depends."

If I was hunting in open country with wind and out of a truck carrying all my equipment, I'd be glad to have this tool along.

However, if I am hunting at 10,000 FT looking for a legal ram on the north side of the Yellowstone border living out of a backpack, I doubt I'd pack it in.

Lastly, aren't most whitetail deer, which I believe are what most of us call our "big game" in the lower 48, shot inside 100 yards? How much ballistic calculation do you really need out there? I guess I believe the money would be better spent on practice ammo and range time.

But if I had it all, and had money to spare and was in great physical condition to boot, I'd buy it and a good water proof case for the itouch / iphone.

from kolbster wrote 5 years 11 weeks ago

i have one and i love it. it tells you where to put the scope for every shot.

from Mike Diehl wrote 5 years 11 weeks ago

from Happy Myles wrote 5 years 11 weeks ago

What's an iPhone?

from buckhunter wrote 5 years 11 weeks ago

from peter wrote 5 years 11 weeks ago

no too high tech

from rtmoody wrote 5 years 11 weeks ago

from Mc. Squizzy wrote 5 years 11 weeks ago

Heck yes!

from Nick Jensen wrote 5 years 10 weeks ago

Wait, does this thing actually exist? Blows me away.

from Reid Jones wrote 5 years 2 weeks ago

i would rather buy a calculator itself rather than one on an iphone

from Steve Marlin wrote 4 years 16 weeks ago

Hate to lead off with this but, my answer is "that depends."