Wisconsin Natural Resources Board Wants Baiting Ban

Whitetail 365

January 29, 2009

Wisconsin Natural Resources Board Wants Baiting Ban

By Dave Hurteau

From The Capital Times:

The state Natural Resources Board voted unanimously Wednesday to ask the Wisconsin Legislature to approve a statewide ban on baiting and feeding of deer.

Baiting and feeding is already banned in most of southern Wisconsin, in the zone where Chronic Wasting Disease has been detected in deer, because scientists believe the fatal brain-wasting disease can be spread when animals congregate. But hunters and residents of northern Wisconsin have opposed the ban, because some like to feed the animals during hard winters and others like to put out food to draw the deer toward their guns.

from Kevin wrote 5 years 11 weeks ago

Here in MN baiting is not allowed but food plots are. I've never believed in baiting but what is the difference between hunting over a food plot and hunting over a pile of corn? Especially when there is no restriction on the size of a food plot; it could be the size of a pile of corn but as long as it's growing out of the ground it's legal! Where's the logic?

from Smitty77 wrote 5 years 11 weeks ago

Being a Wisconsin hunter, Id be glad to see the ban on baiting. A hunter here can legally hunt over two gallons of bait.

Ive never hunted over placed bait and probably never will. Placing bait alters the normal patterns in deer movement, sometimes drawing deer from an unbaited property to one that is. I prefer hunting travel corridors leading from bedding areas to food sources.

Can food plots be considered baiting? Food plots can be good hunting areas but I think they are mostly to improve the overall health of a given deer herd.(produce bigger headgear).

from Dances with Deer wrote 5 years 11 weeks ago

The two aren't even close, when you think about it. Baiting and feeding is replenished time and again, potentially hundreds of times a year in the case of popular back yard and behind the business situations. In food plots, when it's gone, it's gone. That said, I don't think they'll ever get enough legislative support especially after the decimation of the northern herd by liberal seasons, wolves and black bears (and now, this winter). People love to feed. Those people are the folks who elect the politicians.

from Walt Smith wrote 5 years 11 weeks ago

Kevin I can't agree with you more.The way I see it is, if you are not planting those seeds into the ground as a farmer where you harvest the crops those seeds make then what you're honestly, truthfully planting is a BAIT PILE.The only reason you are planting them is to draw deer to your property and hold them there. I see nothing wrong with feeding deer and other critters through the hard winter months, as long as it's done correctly-spread out in a large area.Those who argue that food plots are different and should not be outlawed are just looking for a luphole to continue THEIR baiting. See how simple the truth is!

from bowhunter4ever wrote 5 years 11 weeks ago

Food plots allow the deer to graze as they would naturally in their own environment. A big pile of corn congregates them into one place, promoting the spread of disease through saliva exchange. It isn't the ethics of it that the DNR is trying to control. It is getting a grasp on the threat of disease breaking out and spreading rapidly throughout the state.

from frontboards_to_... wrote 5 years 11 weeks ago

Does this mean that food plots and what not will also be illegal or is it like Kevin said?

from corkygoff wrote 5 years 11 weeks ago

I think that all sorts of baiting should be banned it makes it so that the little guy that has to hunt on public land has no choice at all. That includes food plots because like the other gentleman said what is the differance? There is none here in Wisconsin they wanted to control the CWD than completly ban all types of baiting that includes food plots and even recreational feeding just to see the deer.

from Del in KS wrote 5 years 11 weeks ago

In MO you can put out all the bait you want but you can't hunt over it. That said it should be legal to feed in the dead of winter.

from scott hansen wrote 5 years 11 weeks ago

I have been a hunterin northern Wis. for 24 years now --we don't bait the deer but..we do feed them during the winter -- it is the highlight of my daughters day to see what is on the cuddeback--when will anyone be happy --whats next no cameras too?

from Jim in Mo wrote 5 years 11 weeks ago

Kevin,
On one hand I understand your bitch, but, on the other throwing a pile of food out there is baiting. It's unnatural. If a farmer decides not to harvest a crop that's his business and the land can still be used for other activities. We had an incident with some neighbors long known for pushing the limits of the law. It was dove season and they had sunflowers planted to attract the doves for their paying clients. Since doves prefer eating from the ground they knocked the sunflowers down 1 day prior to season opener (Law in Missouri is 10 days). Well needless to say the local game warden took note of this and issued a ticket as soon as the first bird fell. I'm told the judge levied one hefty fine.

from TheEasternShore... wrote 5 years 11 weeks ago

here in Maryland the deer live on corn feeders and is crucial for hunting.

from benjismokin wrote 5 years 11 weeks ago

I am a WI hunter and I believe that this so called "ban" is frickin ridiculus!!
It seems to me that people want to forget that this "chronic wasting" has been around for years and that for years before all this "ban" stuff, we were able to bait and everything was just fine.
Im not saying that we should be able to dump a ton of feed out there in the middle of a forty, but maybe some sort of REASONABLE mangement on the amount and times we can bait. In my opinion, when you get down to it, baiting can only help the deer, especially in the winter months.

-1 Good Comment? | | Report
from Kevin wrote 5 years 11 weeks ago

To further comment-I'm just looking for consistentcy and logic in the laws. I feel that if food plots are allowed baiting could just as well be. Why should hunting a half acre food plot be legal and a bait pile not? A deer in either one is in range of a hunter. Food plots and bait piles are put down for the same essential reason, food plots just last longer.

from peter wrote 5 years 10 weeks ago

good its imoral and wrong
it makes the hunt too weasy and is cheating

from Bigfoot wrote 5 years 10 weeks ago

well i find it funny that all everyone talks about is bait YET on the DNR's Website under Baiting and feeding of deer in Wisconsin – Update 2008 on page 6 is

Food plots
The Department does not promote food plots as an acceptable deer management practice for
many of the same privatization, ethical, and human conflict issues identified above. Additionally,
planting food plots can have the same effect of providing additional (and unnecessary) energy as
a bait site or feeding station, however that effect is for a more limited time (food is not replaced)
and spread geographically over a greater area. As a result deer to deer contact and local site
contamination is less likely to occur at a food plot than at a bait site or feeding station thus
significantly reducing the risk of disease transmission at a food plot.

from MPN wrote 5 years 10 weeks ago

I live in New York where baiting is illegal but I do have two food plots, but the deer have learned. They only go to the food plots at night to feed. The reason baiting is illegal here is because the food mostly corn was contaminated with disease. But baiting is very different then food plots. I could bring bags of corn with me and dump it anywhere in the woods and try and lure the deer to me, you can't pick up and bring food plots with you. Personally I don't like the idea of baiting, I mean give the deer some chance.

MPN

from Kevin wrote 5 years 11 weeks ago

from Smitty77 wrote 5 years 11 weeks ago

from Dances with Deer wrote 5 years 11 weeks ago

from Walt Smith wrote 5 years 11 weeks ago

from bowhunter4ever wrote 5 years 11 weeks ago

from frontboards_to_... wrote 5 years 11 weeks ago

from corkygoff wrote 5 years 11 weeks ago

from Del in KS wrote 5 years 11 weeks ago

from scott hansen wrote 5 years 11 weeks ago

from Jim in Mo wrote 5 years 11 weeks ago

Kevin,

from TheEasternShore... wrote 5 years 11 weeks ago

here in Maryland the deer live on corn feeders and is crucial for hunting.

from Kevin wrote 5 years 11 weeks ago

from peter wrote 5 years 10 weeks ago

good its imoral and wrong
it makes the hunt too weasy and is cheating

from Bigfoot wrote 5 years 10 weeks ago

Food plots
significantly reducing the risk of disease transmission at a food plot.

from MPN wrote 5 years 10 weeks ago

MPN

from benjismokin wrote 5 years 11 weeks ago

I am a WI hunter and I believe that this so called "ban" is frickin ridiculus!!

-1 Good Comment? | | Report