Neighbors Feud Over Backyard Deer Butchering

Whitetail 365

February 26, 2009

Neighbors Feud Over Backyard Deer Butchering

By Dave Hurteau

From Dallas/Fort Worth CBS 11 News:

A Lewisville family is angry that their neighbor is skinning game animals in their back yard.

"I don't want to see it. I don't want to see it at all," Frank Hlatky said. "You can't get rid of that stench."

Santos Garcia is a long-time hunter and says he's been processing meat in his back yard for years. . .  .

Sunday, Lewisville police went to Garcia's house to investigate. City animal control and code enforcement officers went Monday.

Texas game wardens say hunters are asked not to offend the non-hunting public, but in this case they say Garcia has done nothing illegal.

from vtbluegrass wrote 5 years 7 weeks ago

What stench is the neighbor talking about? I mean hell I'd be ticked off if there were gut pile and carcasses laying around for long enough to get stinky on the other side of the fence. I have cleaned deer in a variety of places from my backyard to the tailgate of my truck in the student lot when I was in college. I can't remember any of those causing a "stench". Basically if the guy is cleaning up soon after he cleans deer and not letting the carcass sit around and rot afterwards the neighbor can go fly a kite.

from buckslayer33 wrote 5 years 7 weeks ago

i can remiember when i was young that my dad would hang his deer up on the swing set. the neighbors never said anything. i do not know what kind of area that garcia lives in but in a rural area that has never been a problem. i am still in highschool and when i get a deer and bring in pictures there are always the people that whine and complain"What did that deer do to you" and it is the same with turkey, elk and anything else. people need to mind their business and take care of them selves

from CPT BRAD wrote 5 years 7 weeks ago

Two things, if the guy is cleaning up the guts and carcass when he gets done then he is fine. There is no Stench, it all washes off and sounds like the good neighbor needs to get over it or move.

from s-kfry wrote 5 years 7 weeks ago

I suspect the neighbor was fuming about Santos butchering his deer while stuffing his mouth with a hamburger.

from Andyhess4123 wrote 5 years 7 weeks ago

Its not like he wants to show it off tho the whole world and do it in the front yard. If they dont want to see it mabye they should get a larger fence or just not watch. its not like he shot it right there and is doing it.

from streack wrote 5 years 7 weeks ago

We leave deer hang in the Mans Room for 2-3 days to age. It never stinks up there but then again it usually ranges from 29-35 degrees as well. If the fellow is leaving the deer hang in the tree and cuts meat as he uses it and the meat is starting to spoil, then I can see a problem. However, it sounds like the neighbor is some sort of hippie and should move out of the neighborhood and leave the decent people around him alone.

from rrmont wrote 5 years 7 weeks ago

Sounds to me like the neighbor doesn't agree with hunting and thinks if he complains enough that his neighbor will quit. There shouldn't be a stench, and if you don't want to see it DON'T WATCH!

from MaxPower wrote 5 years 7 weeks ago

Why would police and animal control even have to pay him a visit?? How disgusting to send the cops over to 'ensure' there's nothing illegal going on, as if this guy is a criminal. Can we call the cops on the neighbor for voyeurism?

from doekiller wrote 5 years 7 weeks ago

Frank Hlatky = whiney douchebag in need of a higher fence. Most likely just another hypocritical burger eater whose logic is baffling.

from doekiller wrote 5 years 7 weeks ago

Most people don't make an effort to be offensive to others however, some people go out of their way to be offended by everything.

from Jim in Mo wrote 5 years 7 weeks ago

I'm sure the deer was gutted out in the field. There was no stench. It seems every neighborhood has at least one person who thinks they are the role model for the rest.

from Mattsouthwood7 wrote 5 years 7 weeks ago

Arent you guys and girls tired of worrying about who you "might" offend. Hunting is a part of life. If Im offended by something I see or hear,I change the channel, walk away or turn the station. If the neighbor doesnt like what they see they should stop peaking through the blinds.

from peter wrote 5 years 7 weeks ago

whats this guy so pissed off about. it doent smell and it looks fine

from Chris Carpenter wrote 5 years 7 weeks ago

and thats y you dont live in the city-- bunch of a-holes

from 60256 wrote 5 years 7 weeks ago

Chris,
Some people really don't have a choice of whether or not to live in the city. I have to, and every time that somebody calls me a city boy, i wanna punch them so hard that they're gonna need a new haircut by the time they wake up, but i quietly say no i'm not and walk away.

Nate

from Happy Myles wrote 5 years 7 weeks ago

Buckslayer 33's comment re "what did that deer do do you?" reminds me of an off topic experience.

A couple of years ago, I decided to move a few of my trophies to my office at work. Living in the Los Angeles area, I'm sensitive to the cities anti-hunting factions, so I contacted my building's Administration Office suggesting permission to bring the trophies by early on a Sunday morning when few other tenants might be wandering about. They said great, bring to the loading dock, and there would be custodians available there who could help, as there would not be much happening at that hour on a Sunday.

When I arrived at the loading dock, there, just inside, were two young chaps, dressed in full custodial regalia, entertaining each other in idle chatter, they were not guards. I politely asked them to give me a hand, and that we would quickly have the heads in my office. They stared at me blankly, and continued doing nothing. After three trips to the freight elevator, one asked,"what the animals did to deserve being killed?" I bent down, and said, "they pissed me off, just like you're starting to do."

from prairieghost wrote 5 years 7 weeks ago

i'd tell that neighbor to kiss my star spangled a$$>

from Jim in Mo wrote 5 years 7 weeks ago

Happy,
That's probably what they expected to hear so I'm glad you said it, even though it wasn't true.

from buckslayer7893 wrote 5 years 7 weeks ago

The neighbor is a moron. Waste taxpayer money becasue your neighbor is skinning some animals in his backyard? The niehgbor should have to pay for all the taxpayer money that was waasted.

from Walt Smith wrote 5 years 7 weeks ago

I have cut up my own deer for almost 30 years and I've never smelled any stench from cleaning game. Some people just cannot bring it upon themselves to mind their business. My advice for the neighbor- Be happy I'm not your neighbor because I'd give you a stench to smell, charcoal grilled backstraps and a pan of onions and garlic everytime you were outside and the wind was blowing your way. And I'd never offer you any!!

from dwaynez wrote 5 years 7 weeks ago

Just a neighbor who is a busy body that can't mind his own business. As long as the guy is discarding of everthing and not letting it rot to cause a smell I don't see a problem.

As stated above, the neighbor has too much time on his hands and has probably never gotten any game of his own and probably is afraid to get his hands dirty.

from Molson wrote 5 years 7 weeks ago

Frank Hlatky said. "You can't get rid of that stench."
Mr. Frank you are part of the Stench that sportsman & women have to deal with in this country. If Frank wasn't such a S.O.B.(sweet old boy), he would have took off his slippers, grab a box of beer and walked over to his neighbors. He might have learned something.
P.S. Frank grow a pair.

from waterdrinker9 wrote 5 years 7 weeks ago

If you don't want to see it, close the curtains PETA punk.

from Happy Myles wrote 5 years 7 weeks ago

Thank's Jim In Mo. You"re right my statement was not a reflection of my hunting ideals. Additionally, I'm probably the only senior executive in my 20 story office complex on a first name basis with the Building's support staff, including those who barely speak English.
A final add on. Recently, the head of Building Engineering brought by a couple of his associates to view the dozen or so trophies in my private office. For the first time I inquired about the two custodians. He smiled and said "they were no longer employees." Their laziness cost them their jobs, as well as handsome tips.

from 2Poppa wrote 5 years 7 weeks ago

The man obviously has never connected or been friendly towards his neighbor. "Frank Hlatky," stated, " he didn't want to see it ... see it at all."
I usually try to understand " both sides of the fence." He probably wouldn't want to see a cow butchered in his neighbors backyard either!

I still believe that as hunters, we need to extend our hands to our neighbors and be sensitive to the needs of others. Who knows, maybe Mr. Hlatky owns a 2000 acre ranch in Texas.

Food for thought:
Ask yourself ... how many of us have a relationship with our neighbors, that goes beyond, " Hello, how are
you?" Do we even know our neighbors name?

from jamesti wrote 5 years 7 weeks ago

i'd tell him to just be happy i wasn't butchering his dog in my back yard. it could always be worse.

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 5 years 7 weeks ago

Dipstick....

from stickbow13 wrote 5 years 6 weeks ago

someone must be board or not have that big of a honey-do list to be worried about what his neighbor is doing...

from steve182 wrote 5 years 6 weeks ago

I guess good fences make good neighbors, unfortunately. Sounds like an anti-hunter

from KMB33 wrote 5 years 6 weeks ago

I live in a rural area. My dad and i gut are dear on the tail gate of his pichup, and hang them up in our equipment shed. We have never had any problems with stench or trouble with people thinking it is cruel to hunt. I take pics of my deer to school, and i explain that everything that is meat, was at one point running around, and it is just a part of life, it usually works.

from tourneyking734 wrote 5 years 6 weeks ago

watever happend to field dressing deer, especially in texas where they'll start to rot in a few days. That's whats great about maine, we can hang them for 5 days so they get tender and then butcher them.

from dvanbramer88 wrote 5 years 6 weeks ago

that idiot sould mind his own frieken buisness. Deer doesn't smell any worse than beef. So when ever that douscebag cuts up a raw steak does he call the cops on himself? who ever said it, your probably right, hes just another anithunting hipocrit trying to piss people off.

from ETangler wrote 5 years 6 weeks ago

Mr. Garcia is a well seasoned hunter. He was not doing anything wrong. The neighbor needs to shut his face and mind his own business. There was not a "stench" I assure you as he was wanting to only complain!!!!

from hunt4life2212 wrote 5 years 6 weeks ago

americans today dont know that we hunt 2 eat. im 14 and got suspended at my school last year for bringing in a picture of me and the first rabbit i had ever shot. there wasnt any blood and i wasnt holding a gun. the teacher said it provoked violence

from dave the bowhunter wrote 5 years 6 weeks ago

a deer carcass could lay there from november till april and it wouldnt stink it would dry up first, ive shot to many deer to ever think any different,all the neighbor is is a lettuce eater ,just another anti, that dont do any thing but walk on concrete his whole life,thats the problem wiht this world any more to many people cant mind there own business,maybe the hunter should call the c cops on the neighbor every time he sees him leave his yard with no seat belt on

from dave the bowhunter wrote 5 years 6 weeks ago

from dave the bowhunter wrote 5 years 6 weeks ago

and as far as neighbors,all my neighbors either hunt with a bow or a gun,come to think of it the town i live every body hunts,and iam not just talking either,around here every body has whitetails on there walls or on the front of there garages,would suck to have to been born a anti and live in a concrete world,little town in south dakota

from dave the bowhunter wrote 5 years 6 weeks ago

around here all neighbors come to see it its bigger then the one they got

from hjohn429 wrote 5 years 6 weeks ago

I think garcia should invite the hlatky family over for some venison stew. I think if the sight reaaly offends them they shouldn't be looking at it.

from RichardF wrote 5 years 6 weeks ago

I have been cleaning deer and turkeys in my front yard for years and there has never been an issue. Maybe he should have him over for some vinson steaks and a beer. Then maybe next year he will be out there helping him.

from texasfirst wrote 5 years 6 weeks ago

Whoa mama, ain't you gonna miss your best friend now? You gonna have to find yourself another best friend somehow... (Bob Dylan) Sheesh. Give me a friggin' break. Non-issue here. But this does illustrate why I live in the country.

from kolbster wrote 5 years 6 weeks ago

its my land, my dear, and my right, to do what i want with the deer.

from 007 wrote 5 years 6 weeks ago

This reminds me of the people who move from the city to the country to experience rural life, then gripe about the poultry house that was there first. If you don't want to get wet, don't get too close to the water, or in other words, if you don't want that lifestyle and what goes with it, stay on the pavement.

from FloridaHunter1226 wrote 5 years 6 weeks ago

Its not like he is slinging guts everywhere or letting the blood fly. It just seems that he is doing what the rest of us would except his neighbors are offended by such gestures. I think that the neighbors should just mind their own business and it is their option to look at what he is doing. If it bothers them that much... they can put up a fence or better yet, move.

from Dan the Man wrote 5 years 5 weeks ago

If the neighbors don't want to see a skinned deer, JUST DON'T LOOK AT IT! No one was forcing them to. The hunter had done nothing illegal, and if they don't care about seeing a dead deer, they should just move out of the neighborhood. By the way, even if he left the carcass after he butchered it, it wouldn't smell. The body would dry out and neighborhood dogs would take it.

from Dan the Man wrote 5 years 5 weeks ago

Next season, someone should put the testicles from their deer on Hlatcky's front porch.

from northern sportsman wrote 5 years 5 weeks ago

Do you neighbors get disgusted when they go to the grocery store and ask the butcher for 2 pounds of ground round? WHERE DO YOU THINK IT COMES FROM????

from benjismokin wrote 5 years 4 weeks ago

This, like many other bogus scandels against hunters, is ridiculus! I get tired of seeing such outlandish things being said/done agianst the hunter/fisherman! Something needs to change!

from fractured100 wrote 4 years 29 weeks ago

I remember as a kid, maybe 4 or 5 growing up next to the train tracks (literaly) my nieghbors would gut and clean a goat in the back yard and that would just creep me out. What really bothered me was they would leave out the brain and entrails to dry and bleach in the sun. Nearly 30 years later I still remember that sight, I don't mind it myself but I would have some common curtesy not to do it in line of sight of any local kids or people that it might really bother.

from vtbluegrass wrote 5 years 7 weeks ago

from rrmont wrote 5 years 7 weeks ago

from Mattsouthwood7 wrote 5 years 7 weeks ago

from Jim in Mo wrote 5 years 7 weeks ago

Happy,

from Walt Smith wrote 5 years 7 weeks ago

from Molson wrote 5 years 7 weeks ago

Frank Hlatky said. "You can't get rid of that stench."
P.S. Frank grow a pair.

from 60256 wrote 5 years 7 weeks ago

Chris,

Nate

from buckslayer7893 wrote 5 years 7 weeks ago

from dwaynez wrote 5 years 7 weeks ago

from waterdrinker9 wrote 5 years 7 weeks ago

If you don't want to see it, close the curtains PETA punk.

from 2Poppa wrote 5 years 7 weeks ago

Food for thought:
you?" Do we even know our neighbors name?

from jamesti wrote 5 years 7 weeks ago

from dave the bowhunter wrote 5 years 6 weeks ago

around here all neighbors come to see it its bigger then the one they got

from hjohn429 wrote 5 years 6 weeks ago

from RichardF wrote 5 years 6 weeks ago

from texasfirst wrote 5 years 6 weeks ago

from kolbster wrote 5 years 6 weeks ago

its my land, my dear, and my right, to do what i want with the deer.

from 007 wrote 5 years 6 weeks ago