'Tis the Season ...

March 18, 2009

'Tis the Season ...

By Kim Hiss

... for shed hunting and pasture burning in Kansas. Blog Reader Lou A. has been sending me updates on life in her corner of The Sunflower State this month, so I thought I'd share her experiences and excellent photos.

To start, Lou's 2009 shed harvest was up to 17 at last count, as evidenced by this pic of her daughter Shawn and their "naughty" dog (and horn-hunting partner) Stella. Among their most prized finds was a left shed with five points, which Lou said has a long and "sexy" brow tine. But her favorite was only about 4 inches long with a "cute little fork" at its end.

The brownish-orange tinted horns in the photo were some of the seven Lou was lucky to find (so far) after they burned off their pasture this year. As a New Yorker who's never seen such a thing, I was really into her description of it:

We burned off our pasture early this year -- with low winds and the burn ban lifted, we didn't want to wait to see if we got a better day later. If you've never seen something like this in person, it is quite impressive. The tall mixed prairie went up and the fire roared across it in a matter of a few minutes (about five). Cedar trees are an extra bonus -- besides being a foe to the natural prairie by soaking up way more than their fair share of water and choking out native plants, they burn up hot and fast. I saw a fire ball about fifty feet high last year when a group of five went up at the same time (Murphy's law, no camera). Just in case you are wondering, I'm a bit of a fire bug.

Well, Lou, congrats on an impressive horn harvest, and thanks so much for the updates and photos -- I wish we had room to run more of them! -K.H.

from FloridaHunter1226 wrote 5 years 4 weeks ago

Shed hunting is a great way to get the kids involved in the outdoors instead of being inside all the time and slowly get them excited about hunting. The bigger the antlers they find, the more excited they get which also translates when they grow up to hunt... which could also be a bad thing (buck fever). But really, it is a great way to get the kids involved and bring more people to the sport. It is also a great way of seeing what deer, and how big, survived the season.

from steve182 wrote 5 years 4 weeks ago

That's pretty good success. How did i overlook the shed oppurtunity of a freshly burnt WMA field? Will be headed there tommorrow. Hope nobody beat me too it. Thanks for the idea.

from s-kfry wrote 5 years 4 weeks ago

Fire and horns. Man I hate living in the city.

from Jim in Mo wrote 5 years 4 weeks ago

LOU,
I'm a firebug too, (not arsonist), when's the next burn?

from Lou A. wrote 5 years 4 weeks ago

Sorry, have to wait until next spring. You might plan a drive through the flint hill in the next few weeks if you get a calm evening. Not as good as being up close, but beautiful none the less.

from kimhiss wrote 5 years 4 weeks ago

S-kfry, I think Lou A. is living a life many of us city dwellers envy. I'm just sorry I didn't have room for more pics of the burn -- we're lucky so many of our blog readers tend to keep their cameras handy. -K.H.

from Judy Black wrote 5 years 4 weeks ago

Wow...great post. Break out the hot dogs and marshmallows.
I was just watching on tv last night a program showing how they train puppies to find antler sheds. It was pretty cool and Lou you have your very own antler hunting dog.
Gotta love the country life!!
JB

from kolbster wrote 5 years 4 weeks ago

i would love to have a shed dog.

from Beekeeper wrote 5 years 4 weeks ago

I love to watch a pasture being burned of also! A right of spring. I also love to see that fresh green grass come in behind it.

from steve182 wrote 5 years 4 weeks ago

Beekeeper, the deer and turkeys aren't far behind, as i'm sure you're aware.

from rrmont wrote 5 years 4 weeks ago

Lou, Iknow what you mean it is something to see. I grew up in the Flint Hills, my wife thinks that I'm full of b.s. when I tell her about this kind of thing(s). I need to get back there one of these years so she can see for herself.

I never thought about shed hunting back then, but know I wish I would have!

from Beekeeper wrote 5 years 4 weeks ago

Yes Steve, The turkey will be out there while the hot spots are still smoking!

from jamesti wrote 5 years 4 weeks ago

still have yet to find a shed this year!

from Sportsman Matt wrote 5 years 4 weeks ago

I did some shed hunting this weekend, didn't find anything other than scrape marks all over the small section of woods I was walking. Hope to have my shooting arm in shape for deer season, looks like I may have found a good spot for this fall.

from Laura Bell wrote 5 years 4 weeks ago

Super Cool Pics!! Lots of Nice looking Sheds in that first pic, congrads on the finds! I love that Fire Ball in the other pic!

from FloridaHunter1226 wrote 5 years 4 weeks ago

from steve182 wrote 5 years 4 weeks ago

from s-kfry wrote 5 years 4 weeks ago

Fire and horns. Man I hate living in the city.

from Judy Black wrote 5 years 4 weeks ago

Wow...great post. Break out the hot dogs and marshmallows.
Gotta love the country life!!
JB

from Beekeeper wrote 5 years 4 weeks ago

from steve182 wrote 5 years 4 weeks ago

Beekeeper, the deer and turkeys aren't far behind, as i'm sure you're aware.

from Beekeeper wrote 5 years 4 weeks ago

Yes Steve, The turkey will be out there while the hot spots are still smoking!

from Jim in Mo wrote 5 years 4 weeks ago

LOU,
I'm a firebug too, (not arsonist), when's the next burn?

from Lou A. wrote 5 years 4 weeks ago

from kimhiss wrote 5 years 4 weeks ago

from kolbster wrote 5 years 4 weeks ago

i would love to have a shed dog.

from rrmont wrote 5 years 4 weeks ago

I never thought about shed hunting back then, but know I wish I would have!

from jamesti wrote 5 years 4 weeks ago

still have yet to find a shed this year!

from Sportsman Matt wrote 5 years 4 weeks ago