Dogs Find the Darndest Things

Man's Best Friend

June 10, 2009

Dogs Find the Darndest Things

By David DiBenedetto

There’s dog news out of Europe this week that might even get David E. Petzal and the Gun Nut crew excited. According to various news reports, a woman walking her dog off a leash in Erkrath, Germany, was shocked to see the pooch come trotting back to her with a rusty hand grenade in its mouth. She immediately ordered the dog to drop it. (Talk about an explosive situation.) The dog followed orders, and the woman notified authorities. The grenade, identified as an American ordinance from World War II, was still live but was later defused by bomb experts.

All of which makes for this week's Hump Day Discussion: What’s the strangest thing your dog has ever dragged home or dropped at your feet?

Just yesterday while working Pritch in a grass lot she passed up her dummy in favor of a sparerib bone that she took great joy in bringing back to me. Who can blame her? And last week, while she was nosing around the back yard she managed to uncover a large rusty nail that looked to be about 100 years old. Thankfully, we pulled the nail from her before she decided to sample it. And in my youth, I remember my yellow lab, Salty, bringing back a fish I had “released” in the surf.

No grenades for my dogs, but I’m sure you all have some good stories about what your pooches have brought home. Let’s hear them.

from psedlar wrote 4 years 44 weeks ago

My six mounth old Boykin eats everything he can find. And then at nite he throws it up. Sticks,plastic,flowers,paper,ropes,chared wood,dog toy stuffing,you name it.

from Sharkfin wrote 4 years 44 weeks ago

My old lab drug a whole cow hip bone into our yard many moons ago. I was a little nervous until I figured out what it was. Hey Dave, did you see my suggestion of checking out Ace Basin at Edisto in the "Where to Train" blog?

from Douglas wrote 4 years 44 weeks ago

My Brit brought home a deer head that someone dumped by the roadside.
Buried it in my wifes flower garden with the nose sticking out.
Bad dog.

from Double D wrote 4 years 44 weeks ago

About a week ago, I was sitting outside and realized I hadn't seen or heard the dogs for awhile. I whistled and Aengus came around the corner with a rabbit's foot sticking out of his mouth. The front half of the unlucky rabbit was being enjoyed by Dublin, who was reluctant to give it up. Both dogs slept outside that night.

from Clay Cooper wrote 4 years 44 weeks ago

Back in 87 I was putting on an overload spring on the front of my 4x4 the wrench slipped and I sent it a flying and I was speaking a unknown tongue! My 8 month old German Shorthair Pointer named Riffraff retrieved the wrench being his first retrieval. Hey that’s great so I tossed it again, he just sat down looked towards the wrench looked back at me and laid down!

from ard wrote 4 years 44 weeks ago

My dog has never brought home any really strange things, but I do like the topic. I also compliment you on your own photo. It looks as if it were professionally done.

from streack wrote 4 years 44 weeks ago

Six years ago while pheasant hunting in our back yard, my dog found the Leatherman I lost in the tall grass the week before. I rewarded him well, for it was by far his best retrieve.

from Scampwalker wrote 4 years 44 weeks ago

During the hot summers, I run my dogs at an off-leash dog park, which is situated on a nearby lake. One evening, I noticed my shorthair hadn't checked back in with me. At about that same time, I heard an enormous racket of honking geese. I called for Vegas again, and she rounded the corner with a small, but very much alive, Canada goose in her mouth. Of course, this was a dog park full of foo-foo dogs, suburban soccer moms, and well scrubbed kids. They were horrified at my bloodlusting dog, and even more horrified at her owner! Thankfully, Vegas gently dropped the gander at my feet, where it proceeded to fly off, apparently no worse for the wear. Needless to say, we left as quickly and as quietly as possible.

from NYhunter wrote 4 years 44 weeks ago

my golden found and gave me a bow release.

from NYhunter wrote 4 years 44 weeks ago

p.s.she caught a eastern wild turkey . it had 11.5 in. beard & 1.25inch spurs, and she brings live bunnies that we let go and they are fine.

from Blitz wrote 4 years 44 weeks ago

My dog Flapjack showed up at our back door with our neighbor's deaf cat hanging from his mouth. The cat was no longer alive and provided for some interesting discussions with our neigbors.

from ekonerding wrote 4 years 44 weeks ago

While walking the dogs, my college-age daughter lost a ring her boyfriend (now husband) had given her. None of us could find it, and she was both heartbroken and afraid to tell him. A day or so later, Muffin, her fluffy little white bichon frise, was pawing in the pine needles at the back of the yard when I saw a glint of gold. Yup, it was the ring! Even non-hunting dogs can find stuff.

from seadog wrote 4 years 44 weeks ago

I like Scampwalker's story. My boxer has been doing too good of a job keeping the local duck & feral cat populations under control. She also brings me an occasional possum as a present--sometimes it's playing possum, sometimes it's not doing so well. I'm expecting the animal rights people to protest in front of my house any day now.

from Dave DiBenedetto wrote 4 years 44 weeks ago

Very funny stories, here.

Douglas, I think you're dog knows good fertilizer when it sees it.

Scampwalker, I often wonder when I'm walking Pritch in the park how long it will be before she puts a hurting on the "local" wildlife.

Sharkfin, I saw your ACE Basin suggestion...seems like it could be a prime spot for training. Thx for the heads up. -D

from Elmer Fudd wrote 4 years 44 weeks ago

then there's the times they find something dead... and just roll in to bring the smell home!

from Sharkfin wrote 4 years 44 weeks ago

Oh yeah! My parent's Austrailian Shepherd rolls in something long dead on a weekly basis. She brought them a wooden baseball bat once.

from silsbyj wrote 4 years 44 weeks ago

A friend in high school had an overly large chocolate lab. While duck hunting one afternoon the lab decided to run off for a bit. When it returned it had the small end of a 12ft long tree branch that was 6in in diameter at the large end! It then sat there and you could tell it wanted to play fetch with the damn thing.

from Levi Banks wrote 4 years 44 weeks ago

My lab/German shorthair mix finds my arrows in the backyard if I miss the target. She once dug one up after it had been in the dirt and grass for about a week, she was on the way to get a ball and must have picked up the scent. The past few days we have been playing a game where she tries to run off and get this baby rabbit and I take it from here and put it back. She has snuck off and found it about 4 times in the last 5 days. It's fine, so she must have a soft mouth!

from jcarlin wrote 4 years 44 weeks ago

Other than interesting smells? My beagle disappeared into a thicket for about 20 minutes two winters ago and came back strutting like he was the king of all rabbit hounds with a deer tail in his mouth. He seemed confused when I tossed it.

from Happy Myles wrote 4 years 44 weeks ago

One fall, just after WW II, an old hunting friend of my Dad arrived at our ranch with an ugly mongrel puppy, we named him Sparky. The pup would eagerly follow my Grandmother or I while we gathered the chicken eggs. The following spring, turkey eggs began to appear at the back door, as we also hand domestic turkeys which we released after the snow melted for good. When the dog gathered enough, we would put a turkey hen in a coop to sit on the eggs.

The following winter, when snow covered the ground, Sparky would wage nightly battle against marauding bobcats, raccoons, and in those days an occasional lynx to protect the various fowl. He would tree, and either my Father or I would dispatch with an old 12 gauge. These combats took there toll, his ears were torn, and he lost an eye over the years. He was one tough animal.

One Spring my Grandmother purchased from either Sears or Montgomery Ward a box of 100 baby chickens. In those days they would deliver by mail. To our surprise, old Sparky would gently crawl around on his belly keeping the chicks on the lawn while they scratched in the grass. His scarred old head resting on his paws, ever watchful.

Since then, I've had dogs with fancy bloodlines and names. but this mutt was in a class by himself.

from Jere Smith wrote 4 years 44 weeks ago

Happy, Mutts are usually the best and most loyal dogs!

from JTC wrote 4 years 44 weeks ago

One of our dogs brings turtles up into the yard quite often. Thankfully she hasn't tried to catch a snapping turtle yet though.

from Del in KS wrote 4 years 44 weeks ago

When I was a kid I had a mutt named Corky. One day he found a very alive 6 foot Eastern Diamondback. Corky would dance arount and bark at the snake. The snake coiled and struck several times but Corky was so fast the Rattler never touched him. Finally my Sister's boyfriend arrived on scene with a shotgun and shot the snake. Corky killed and brought home 2 fox squirrels and an assortment of feral cats. He was a very intelligent pup and always seemed to undrstand what I wanted him to hunt. He loved to hunt rabbits, coons and 'possum's.

from huskerguy wrote 4 years 44 weeks ago

My pup will seem to find the one piece of trash in the field and chew on that for a minute.

from Del in KS wrote 4 years 44 weeks ago

My GSH Pointer Jill is looking like a pretty good pup these days. She has an incredible nose. Yesterday while out for some exercise she stopped running and pointed a light pole with some bushes around the base. There was a rabbit hiding in the bushes a good 30 yards away upwind of jill. She ignored him when he ran out. She points Robins and songbirds just about everyday. On the downside she will roll on anything dead. Caught her rolling in the grass on a very small dead garter snake last week.

from lcreece wrote 4 years 44 weeks ago

Our beloved Boykin,Olivia Jane(O.J.),was fishing with us in our jon boat.I caught a bass, she dived in and retrieved it and swam it back to the boat. We boated O.J. and her fish. Fish was unhurt, Olivia pouted because we put fish back!Her son Mac has retrieved the decoy spread set out in our pond complete with weights!These dogs give a new meaning to retrieving-if it's there anywhere, it will be brought back!

from lcreece wrote 4 years 44 weeks ago

from Fisher Boy wrote 4 years 44 weeks ago

Our dog now has a tendency to find the golf balls that i never could when they went astray, and before our previous dog past, he would point out whit vans and trucks when they were turning the corner 3 blocks down the street through the trees.

from muskiemaster wrote 4 years 44 weeks ago

Had a old viszla that used to go run off on excursions and not wanting to disappoint her owners she would bring back a part of whatever she ate that day for the pack.

from jcarlin wrote 4 years 44 weeks ago

Last night I mistakenly left the man-door to the chicken coop unlatched. Heard a ruckus at about 10:30 called the dogs, grabbed a flashlight and ran out. Dogs chased something I didn't see down to the creek for a bit and then I called them back to me. They watched me gather a chicken that was crouching in the grass and bring it back to the coop. Beagle runs off into the brush and comes back a minute later quietly herding another chicken ahead of him. Basset sees that and heads off in another direction then comes back doing the same. All in all, I only lost one hen last night and almost certainly would have lost 2 more without some oddly helpful actions from my hounds recovering two in the brush. They don't always earn their keep, but they did last night. It was almost bizarre behavior.

from j-johnson17 wrote 4 years 44 weeks ago

I heard this story on the radio. Sounds like this thing could have blown up...

from nrrab wrote 4 years 44 weeks ago

Hi, my name is Apollo. I am a 3 year old male boykin who loves to retrive, swim, and sleep in my owners bed. My favoirte past-time is trying to retrive ocean waves. So far, nothing but a mouth full of saltwater, but I'll keep trying.

Don't know that I've ever brought home anything really surprizing; however, when I was younger, I had a taste for rubber. I once ate a rubber glove -- I do not recommend this, as it did not want to come back out. My owner was nice enough to help pull it out the back end. That pretty much crued me of my taste for rubber...

I am the smartest member of my family. I love to go for bike rides, but my owner thinks it is funny to let me pull him along. Let me tell you, this is not an easy task. We like to ride along a stream near our home. There are always lots of ducks on the water. One day soon, I am going to break free of the leash and get me one!

I've never been hunting... but think I would like it. My owners are anxious to read about your training experiences.

from Clay Cooper wrote 4 years 44 weeks ago

I remember Riffraff my at 8 months old German Shorthair in Alaska wanted to play with a Moose Calf. it was funny seeing them bounce around until Momma noticed Riffraff wasn’t another Moose Calf putting him in warp drive back towards me!

from bertram wrote 4 years 44 weeks ago

I was leaving the house one evening to go to the store.
The only thing we really needed was dish washing liquid. As I walked down the sidewalk to the truck, our Lab JAKE appeared with a bottle about 3/4ths full, and our brand. Trip to store cancelled.

from Tim Platt wrote 4 years 44 weeks ago

My old Lab Midnight showed up one evening with the hind quarter of a deer. Kept it in the garage with him for a couple of days until my wife made me throw it out.

from FloridaHunter1226 wrote 4 years 43 weeks ago

I would have to say the weirdest thing that I have seen my dog bring back and drop at my feet would be the tennis ball. That is about as crazy as it gets for me. Don't get me wrong, I am not sure if I would want something out of the ordinary being brought back to me.

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 4 years 43 weeks ago

Dr. Ralph

years ago, my previous Lab was in the yard chewing a somewhat ripe deer leg until I got wind of the smell. Current Lab "retrieved" a live skunk...once.

from seadog wrote 4 years 43 weeks ago

All these dog stories make me want to go out & get another puppy.

from hjohn429 wrote 4 years 36 weeks ago

An old boxer we used to have would alway find caracases and take them to the door. Once, she found a snapping turtle skeliton and kept bringing it back. We fially had to through it up in a tree to keep her from bringing it back.

from Knife Freak wrote 1 year 44 weeks ago

I had a black lab that would dig up and chew my mothers cactus. She didn't like Bristol very much when he did that.

from Happy Myles wrote 4 years 44 weeks ago

from Clay Cooper wrote 4 years 44 weeks ago

from Douglas wrote 4 years 44 weeks ago

My Brit brought home a deer head that someone dumped by the roadside.
Buried it in my wifes flower garden with the nose sticking out.
Bad dog.

from Double D wrote 4 years 44 weeks ago

from Scampwalker wrote 4 years 44 weeks ago

from NYhunter wrote 4 years 44 weeks ago

from ekonerding wrote 4 years 44 weeks ago

from Elmer Fudd wrote 4 years 44 weeks ago

from silsbyj wrote 4 years 44 weeks ago

from psedlar wrote 4 years 44 weeks ago

from Sharkfin wrote 4 years 44 weeks ago

from ard wrote 4 years 44 weeks ago

from streack wrote 4 years 44 weeks ago

from NYhunter wrote 4 years 44 weeks ago

my golden found and gave me a bow release.

from Blitz wrote 4 years 44 weeks ago

from seadog wrote 4 years 44 weeks ago

from Dave DiBenedetto wrote 4 years 44 weeks ago

Very funny stories, here.

Douglas, I think you're dog knows good fertilizer when it sees it.

from Sharkfin wrote 4 years 44 weeks ago

from Levi Banks wrote 4 years 44 weeks ago

from jcarlin wrote 4 years 44 weeks ago

from Del in KS wrote 4 years 44 weeks ago

from jcarlin wrote 4 years 44 weeks ago

from nrrab wrote 4 years 44 weeks ago

from Jere Smith wrote 4 years 44 weeks ago

Happy, Mutts are usually the best and most loyal dogs!

from JTC wrote 4 years 44 weeks ago

from huskerguy wrote 4 years 44 weeks ago

from Del in KS wrote 4 years 44 weeks ago

from lcreece wrote 4 years 44 weeks ago

from lcreece wrote 4 years 44 weeks ago

from Fisher Boy wrote 4 years 44 weeks ago

from muskiemaster wrote 4 years 44 weeks ago

from Clay Cooper wrote 4 years 44 weeks ago

from bertram wrote 4 years 44 weeks ago

I was leaving the house one evening to go to the store.

from Tim Platt wrote 4 years 44 weeks ago

from FloridaHunter1226 wrote 4 years 43 weeks ago

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 4 years 43 weeks ago

Dr. Ralph

from seadog wrote 4 years 43 weeks ago

All these dog stories make me want to go out & get another puppy.

from hjohn429 wrote 4 years 36 weeks ago

from j-johnson17 wrote 4 years 44 weeks ago

I heard this story on the radio. Sounds like this thing could have blown up...

from Knife Freak wrote 1 year 44 weeks ago