Study Concludes That Coyotes Kill Pet Cats

Field Notes

July 08, 2009

Study Concludes That Coyotes Kill Pet Cats

By Dave Hurteau

There’s a shocker. Three years ago, I woke up the sound of four coyotes going ballistic in my backyard. I walked out on the deck, turn on the flood light, and watched the $%#@%#s tear my cat Jax to shreds. Now, a new study confirms—just in case I should have trouble believing my own eyes—that:

Coyotes (Canis latrans) pose a risk to domestic cats (Felis catus). We captured, radiocollared, and tracked 8 coyotes from November 2005 to February 2006 for 790 hours in Tucson, Arizona, USA. We observed 36 coyote–cat interactions; 19 resulted in coyotes killing cats.

from Koldkut wrote 4 years 41 weeks ago

How much did they spend on this study?

from MLH wrote 4 years 41 weeks ago

Jaw dropped at the headline. Duh .... Researchers doing what they do - just gotta have empirical proof. This, will, of course, lead to another study to confirm the findings. I'm surprised animal groups haven't responded, saying they should have stepped in to save the 19 cats.

Sorry about Jax. Can't imagine being there.

from sihunter wrote 4 years 41 weeks ago

My first or second year of college I came home and as I walked through the garage I bent down to rub the top of one of my parent 2 cats that lived in the garage and made their living killing field mice. I thought its ear was folded down, it wasn't. The ear was gone, taken off at the skull. Needless to say it didn't want me to rub its head, so it got up to move. When it did its back leg swung back and forth. The cat was missing an ear and it back leg had be snapped in half and was only hanging on by its tendon. The cat survived and while he may not have ranged far after that their 3 legged 1 eared cat was a mouse killing machine that lived for many years after that. It could have been a dog but we were always pretty sure he crossed paths with a coyote on one of it's night time hunting excursions out in one of the fields. It had to have been on helluva fight.

from BigKill.com wrote 4 years 41 weeks ago

This is how you take care of coyotes!

from Mark-1 wrote 4 years 41 weeks ago

Not a doubt in my mind coyotes kill domestic/wild cats. My immediate home area is a perfect place for townies to drop off their cats. There were years these cats depopulated the area of rabbits and game birds. However, the coyotes killing the cats is a mixed blessing. IT's sorta like swallowing the spider to kill the fly.

BTW it appears the coyotes seek to catch the cats in the open.

from seadog wrote 4 years 41 weeks ago

Wow. I think they need to do a study to find out if bears really do number two in the woods.

from Mike Diehl wrote 4 years 41 weeks ago

I have to remember to mutter a "Thanks, friend!" at the next coyote I see. If we're lucky, we can get them to eat "animal rights" activists too.

-4 Good Comment? | | Report
from Mr. Creosote wrote 4 years 41 weeks ago

I'm confused. What's the problem?

Most people either don't know or don't care that their fluffy little Mr. Bojangles, when let out, becomes an absolute bird-killing machine.

Don't get me wrong: I'm not anti-cat. In fact my wife forces me to live with two of the worthless damn things. I'm just anti-outdoors cat.

I live in a rural area and I have a huge problem with both true feral cats as well as neighborhood cats that can only loosely be called "pets" because their "owners" let them run wild, breed, fight and kill anything that moves.

I watched one such "pet" walk across the back of my property every morning for a full month with a new dead bird in its mouth, including but not limited to quail, mourning dove, cardinal, lark sparrow, painted bunting, titmice, indigo bunting and more finches than I could count.

When I finally managed to trap the damn thing(and the only reason it didn't get my high-velocity feral cat treatment right off the bat was the fact it was wearing a collar) I discovered it had apparently been having relations with a big feral tom I'd seen around (and who subsequently did get my treatment) and was pregnant.

I loaded her up, took her to the pound without telling her owner because I had no idea who her owner was and at that point didn't care anyway, and the pound apparently gave her their treatment, because I never saw her again.

It's a good example of what huge hypocrites cat owners typically are.

Imagine everyone letting their dogs out to roam the streets at will, doing whatever they want, killing whatever they feel like killing. There'd be a hue and cry to do something about it.

But for some reason cat owners feel they have the right to do the exact same thing with their cats, just turn them out, because you know, sweet little Mr. Bojangles wouldn't hurt a fly.

So I say more power to the coyotes. They're doing us all a big favor.

from jcarlin wrote 4 years 41 weeks ago

I'd prefer the cats to foxes. For the first year at my new place there were a couple of cats that'd move through and keep my barn pest free. Now I can't drive the road at night without seeing a fox and no feral cats to be seen. Why the preference? I've never seen a cat even consider walking away with a barred rock hen. The foxes are murder.

from 175rltw wrote 4 years 41 weeks ago

when I stilll livedin North Ga we had lots of cototes, and at night they'd raise hell trying to get into my neighbors back porch to eat there chihuahuas. I kept 2 Pit bulldogs as catch dogs, one being real small 36 lbs. Well it was a warm fall and Timmy wasn't sleeping in his house, but in a nest dug in the dirt, and I told the old lady- one night those coyotes are gonna try that on for size AND THEN WE"LL SEE SOMETHING. About a week later all hell was breaking lose in the woods behind my house, and sure enough, Timmy had one down and was wrecking him, the others kept jumping towards them, but backing off at the last minute, not sure how t deal with this particular issue. I shot 3 of them, 2 plus the one Tim Tim had. In that area the best call was a pup in distress or housecat in disstress call, and we cleaned up..

from 2Poppa wrote 4 years 41 weeks ago

As mentioned before, I usually open the stomach to see the contents of what the Wylie Coyote had eaten,and I've seen several cats in several different stomachs.

One coyote I had shot was in the bowels of the deep,deep woods ... mile from the nearest house. A cat was in it's stomach!

from Del in KS wrote 4 years 41 weeks ago

Coyotes will eat any protein even insects. Gives people an incentive to keep the dog or cat inside before they become dinner. I've rarely seen stray cats or dogs in KS. We have plenty of 'yotes that undoubtably keep them down.

from katedanaher wrote 4 years 41 weeks ago

Most conflicts result from people providing coyotes with food, intentionally or not. Fundamental to resolving negative encounters with wild animals is reducing attractants. Keep companion animals indoors at night and feed them indoors as well; walk dogs on leashes, keep refuse containers inaccessible to animals, and keep other food sources like fallen fruit and birdseed off the ground; these are easy ways to reduce conflicts. Unless people take responsibility to remove attractants to discourage unwanted wildlife, negative encounters with coyotes and other predators will occur and animals will be destroyed. For more information visit http://www.ProjectCoyote.org

from shane wrote 4 years 41 weeks ago

Del has something here, there actually are some places where the coyotes are on the cats so much that the cat population is kept at a minimum. Crazy how connected we are to the ecosystem. Good thing to remember.

I like cats and all, but I have dogs. No little ones. Big enough for coyotes to not mess with. In fact, she killed one before. It wanted my deer. She was with me, ran off, I heard a ruckus, and half of it was silenced soon after. She was standing there with the "HEY look what I did for you" look. It was awesome. A little nerve racking, though.

from peter wrote 4 years 41 weeks ago

i love to hunt coyotes, but none ever ate my cat, a hawk did, and one killed two of my familys chickens

from s-kfry wrote 4 years 41 weeks ago

How much will they be studying to see that coyotes also kill small dogs, pet rodents, etc.? Did they get tax dollars from the stimulus plan to study this?

from Hunter Savage wrote 4 years 41 weeks ago

to me it is all most six of one half dozen of the other. between coyotes and stray cats . i own a cat, and he is great(and fixed) but i live on old dairy land and people use it as a dumping ground for unwanted cats. which end up around my house .those cats normally end up with a 330 conibear for a necklace .and the coyote's well they are just scum of the earth and oxygen thief's . they die any way i can kill them , gun ,bow , trap , truck it dont matter.

from uwurst wrote 4 years 41 weeks ago

That's a cool article! I always get interested when I see something about coyotes! There is a new hunting forum out there that has a lot about coyotes called www.buckingtheodds.com There are lots of videos, pics and coyote hunting info pus a lot more. Hope to see you there!

from uwurst wrote 4 years 41 weeks ago

I think coyotes always live around us. Most of the time they are all but invisible. I have never saw a coyote around my neighborhood but have seen the tracks in a fresh snow. I watched a litter being raised near denver, the bigger those little poodle eaters got the more visible the parents were in daylight. I saw them with a cat once. One day after they were gone I walked across the stret and looked around the den sight.Cat heads, and even a fawn deer carcus!

from Edward J. Palumbo wrote 4 years 41 weeks ago

Oh, please don't tell me this was a Government-funded study! We lost three housecats to coyotes when we lived in south Orange County (Mission Viejo, CA), and a neighbor's dog argued with a coyote that was eating it's dogfood. Spunky dog, but it came out on the losing end of that argument. Most definitely coyotes will pick off domestic animals!

from Walt Smith wrote 4 years 41 weeks ago

OMG don't tell HSUS about this, they'll keep the wolf hunts off forever then because they'll say that wolves kill coyotes and thus need to be protected because coyotes killing cats is inhumane!!! Sound about right?

from TonyK wrote 4 years 41 weeks ago

My family and I figure that's what happens to most of our barn cats.

from Big O wrote 4 years 41 weeks ago

YA THINK ! Please send this to those "Brilliant" folks in California, who think they are "cute".

from Clay Cooper wrote 4 years 41 weeks ago

Gee-whiz Mr. Wizard this is like when Isaac Newton discovered gravity that’s been around since God created the Universe!

I wish I had a nickel for every yodel dog crossing in front of me down town Big Cities coast to coast from 11pm to 4am delivering a load!

from FloridaHunter1226 wrote 4 years 41 weeks ago

I can not believe that this was even a question in someones mind. I will make sure to send this to the few of my friends that love cats.

from sjsmarais@gmail.com wrote 4 years 41 weeks ago

Wild predators adapting superbly to a human disturbed environment, and preying on animals that in many cases (chihuahas) are so terribly manipulated by human breeding efforts. I think it's encouraging when nature shows us her wild side. We hunters should admire these creatures. The self-righteous attitude of some people regarding predators does irritate me though, I mean, how utterly selfless of these people to kill every fanged animal they see.

from Paul Wilke wrote 4 years 41 weeks ago

Selma ( years back ) lost her husband to cancer. Not wanting to be tied down to the responsibilities of a dairy farm she auctioned every thing off and decided to make her living as a trapper. This little old lady, all gristle and smiles , made a good living from an enormous impenetrable swamp, trapping coyotes for 25 dollars in bounty and 25 dollars from pelts. She confided to me that her favorite bait was cats. She picked these up from farmers that had excess populations of barn cats.
No special study, just little old lady smarts.

from longbeards wrote 4 years 41 weeks ago

I knew there was something good about Coyotes!!!

-1 Good Comment? | | Report
from Clay Cooper wrote 4 years 41 weeks ago

WOW!

I wonder how they figured this one out!

I remember in Tucson AZ people were blaming the neighbor’s dog for digging up the garden when it was obvious Javelina did it!

from shane wrote 4 years 41 weeks ago

With you, sjs.

from 2Poppa wrote 4 years 41 weeks ago

We ALL know Coyotes eat Road Runners.

But ... did he ever catch him?

from Chris Carpenter wrote 4 years 41 weeks ago

Any idiot with a half a brain coild have told you this

from hunt_fish_sleep wrote 4 years 39 weeks ago

When I was 13 we were living on a street about 1/4 mile long in Minnesota with a couple houses on it and lots of woods surrounding. We kept our Black Lab, Bud, and our Beagle, Sadie, in a 6X6X12 chain link dog run. One night I heard what sounded like a scream outside my room window, which was on the basement floor. I grabbed my pumpmaster and ran outside onto the patio under the deck and flipped on the light to see what there was to see. As I fumbled to load, I saw four coyotes hunting in a pack. (which is extremely rare for coyotes, pack hunting is more of a wolf tradition) They had the dog run surrounded and one coyote stuck his snout through a link in the fence to snap at my Beagle. My Lab did not like this coyote treating his lady so disrespectfully, and promptly clamped down on the coyotes snout so that the coyote could not pull out. I capitalized on this and hit the coyote with a pellet. The coyote squirmed but couldn't break free (Bud was PISSED at that thing). As I reloaded, the big backyard floodlights came on and my dad stepped onto the deck above me. I started to shout our situation to him, but apparently he was a step ahead of me because I had barely said "DAD!" when I heard BAM BAM BAM BAM BAM BAM! He dumped a 15 round magazine from his Ruger 9mm and then picked up the 10/22 and drained a 25 round clip at the fleeing coyotes. When the smoke cleared, the coyote that Bud had vice-gripped was dead in the snow. (not too hard to shoot a trapped coyote; Bud was quite proud of his assistance) One other coyote was laying dead in the treeline where our yard ended and the forest began. There was also two other blood trails leading into the woods. The next morning, after a call from our neighbor wondering what the hell happened last night at one, we found a third coyote about 50 yards into the woods. We never found the fourth one, but he was smart enough to not show his stupid face around our place any more.

from squirrel1 wrote 4 years 24 weeks ago

Actually we raised two coyote pups in are barn and believe it or not they both became very tame. we only did this because mom was hit by car in front of house. I just couln't kill pups, had them around for 2yrs as kinda like pets they just stayed around property, both still come around every so often and we can still touch them sometimes they come out of forest when called. They are the only coyotes I like. Its different if you raise one just like a pet dog but not very trainable.

from congocongo wrote 4 years 21 weeks ago

Coyote pack eat my Dog for their early Thanksgiving.
I’ve been hearing coyote’s in back small woods for years. Last night I was working in garden and heard coyotes howling about a quarter mile away and I was going to investigate them on other side of cow pastor, but the noise stopped. I thought to my self there must be about 8 coyotes. Last night I heard my 3 month old husky puppy screaming. I ran out with 12 gauge shotgun and three quick shots dropped two coyotes. Another coyote ran for the puppy that was already dead and I shot that one, but he just dropped the dog and ran. I could hear coyotes running threw the brush in their confusion. This occurred in a wooded area only about a mile wide, but runs 10+ miles north into city and south to ocean 10 miles south of Houma, La or 45 miles east of New Orleans. This wooded area is only accessible by crossing a 100- 200 foot shipping bayou on each side of forested area. Off course there are a lot of small bridge crossings.

-1 Good Comment? | | Report
from RYefko wrote 4 years 17 weeks ago

Hey Creosote,

Perhaps you could waddle over to a pen and write down your exact address, and we could have a very BRIEF meeting discussing your views of cruelty to animals. I would be more than happy to show you the error of your ways in less than 20 seconds. I am a female and would be happy to protect the rights of domestic animals. I'm sure at the end you would see it my way...clearly.

from stonejb wrote 4 years 4 weeks ago

I live in Fullerton California and one week ago I got up to find a dead cat on my front lawn. At first I thought it had gotten hit by a car but after looking at it carefully knew it was a Coyote. Only the head and fur was left, all the insides were eaten out. My cat was missing too and after walking down the street a few houses discovered my precious cat. He was left the same way. I will miss Precious terribly, he was the best cat ever.

from sihunter wrote 4 years 41 weeks ago

from katedanaher wrote 4 years 41 weeks ago

from Walt Smith wrote 4 years 41 weeks ago

from Big O wrote 4 years 41 weeks ago

from sjsmarais@gmail.com wrote 4 years 41 weeks ago

from hunt_fish_sleep wrote 4 years 39 weeks ago

from Koldkut wrote 4 years 41 weeks ago

How much did they spend on this study?

from MLH wrote 4 years 41 weeks ago

Sorry about Jax. Can't imagine being there.

from BigKill.com wrote 4 years 41 weeks ago

This is how you take care of coyotes!

from jcarlin wrote 4 years 41 weeks ago

from 175rltw wrote 4 years 41 weeks ago

from 2Poppa wrote 4 years 41 weeks ago

from Del in KS wrote 4 years 41 weeks ago

from shane wrote 4 years 41 weeks ago

from peter wrote 4 years 41 weeks ago

from uwurst wrote 4 years 41 weeks ago

from Edward J. Palumbo wrote 4 years 41 weeks ago

from TonyK wrote 4 years 41 weeks ago

My family and I figure that's what happens to most of our barn cats.

from Paul Wilke wrote 4 years 41 weeks ago

No special study, just little old lady smarts.

from Mark-1 wrote 4 years 41 weeks ago

BTW it appears the coyotes seek to catch the cats in the open.

from seadog wrote 4 years 41 weeks ago

from Mr. Creosote wrote 4 years 41 weeks ago

I'm confused. What's the problem?

It's a good example of what huge hypocrites cat owners typically are.

So I say more power to the coyotes. They're doing us all a big favor.

from s-kfry wrote 4 years 41 weeks ago

from uwurst wrote 4 years 41 weeks ago

from Clay Cooper wrote 4 years 41 weeks ago

from FloridaHunter1226 wrote 4 years 41 weeks ago

from Clay Cooper wrote 4 years 41 weeks ago

WOW!

I wonder how they figured this one out!

from shane wrote 4 years 41 weeks ago

With you, sjs.

from 2Poppa wrote 4 years 41 weeks ago

We ALL know Coyotes eat Road Runners.

But ... did he ever catch him?

from Chris Carpenter wrote 4 years 41 weeks ago

Any idiot with a half a brain coild have told you this

from RYefko wrote 4 years 17 weeks ago

Hey Creosote,

from Hunter Savage wrote 4 years 41 weeks ago

from squirrel1 wrote 4 years 24 weeks ago

from stonejb wrote 4 years 4 weeks ago

from longbeards wrote 4 years 41 weeks ago

I knew there was something good about Coyotes!!!

-1 Good Comment? | | Report
from congocongo wrote 4 years 21 weeks ago

Coyote pack eat my Dog for their early Thanksgiving.

-1 Good Comment? | | Report