Wisconsin Wolves Kill Hunting Dogs

Field Notes

July 29, 2009

Wisconsin Wolves Kill Hunting Dogs

By Dave Hurteau

From the Wisconsin Ag Connection:
July hasn't been a good month in parts of Wisconsin in terms of the number of hunting dogs being killed by wolves. The state's natural resources department has confirmed that three more dogs have been fatally attacked during the past week.

DNR Spokesperson Ed Culhane says two bear hunting dogs were being trained for the season when they were attacked near Neillsville in Clark County. One of those dogs died. Two other bear hunting dogs were killed in Oneida and in Burnett Counties last week.

from shane wrote 4 years 37 weeks ago

Maybe the number of wolves in WI warrants a wolf hunt, but wolves attacking dogs in no way suggests one. We can't regulate nature for our own safety and convenience.

Honestly, this post can only be here to stir the pot. Because really? So what? Wolves killed some dogs. It happens. Welcome to the American Wild. Wolves have been killing dogs and you name it here and elsewhere for centuries, but this event will have some people demanding a hunt.

If you don't want wolf attacks, stay out of wolf country. They are extremely effective predators, and are highly territorial. If they want it in their belly or out of their turf, or both, it's as good as dead. Deal with it.

You don't get to start shooting every one you see just because you're afraid of them and what they might do to you and yours. This is no excuse for a hunt.

BUT, if the numbers are there and the people that actually know what they're talking about say hunt, by all means, hunt away.

from ken.mcloud wrote 4 years 37 weeks ago

my new favorite wolf quote:
"If they want it in their belly or out of their turf, or both, it's as good as dead."

anyways, perhaps Shane and the few other like minded people on this site will joint me in this statement:

I call for the states involved to propose responsible plans that allow wolf hunting and maintain population levels near to the natural predator-prey balance. I also call for the anti-hunting types to shut up and let the process happen as long as it is environmentally sound.

this way our environment will can be [fairly] healthy and this debate can [mostly] end.

from Proverbs wrote 4 years 37 weeks ago

I was hunting (not bear) in Wisconsin a couple seasons ago, just north of the Hayward/Spooner area. This is bear and wolf country, and there were several guides operating in the area, according to my host. One day we heard the most awful racket imaginable...sounded like something out of a horror film. It turned out that a group of dogs had a bear treed, only to find itself surrounded by a wolf pack that then shredded the dogs. We met up with the bear guide, who alternated between fits of rage and sobbing over the loss of his beloved dogs. In addition to his emotional loss, he lost about $10,000 worth of dogs.

The worst part of it, from a conservation aspect, is that the wolves didn't immediately leave upon arrival of the guides. They had to be harassed before they'd leave. This tells me the wolves are not very afraid of the people. Unsettling? You better believe it.

from Walt Smith wrote 4 years 37 weeks ago

Ya well you won't have to worry about a legal hunting season this year or any other in the upper great lakes region, for many years hunters have been patient with the wolf population ,waiting for a legal hunt that never comes because of the tree huggers. But you can bet that when 2 million hunters go into the north woods this fall we'll all be carring extra ammo. We won't be tagging many deer either.

from FloridaHunter1226 wrote 4 years 37 weeks ago

It seems like wolf attacks and wolf disturbances have increased tremendously... one would think that would translate into opening up the season, increasing the bag limit, or just making it legal to hunt such animals. They have to be controlled some way!

from logan.vandermay wrote 4 years 37 weeks ago

How bout this, if wolves don't want shot stay out of my country.

-1 Good Comment? | | Report
from sjsmarais@gmail.com wrote 4 years 37 weeks ago

So, the hunting dogs become the hunted. Terrible for a dog lover. But isn't it great when the wilderness is exactly that, wild and dangerous? Or have we become so soft that we want to hunt without exertion, danger or any discomfort?

Calls to take unilateral action and shoot wolves will seriously harm efforts at presenting ourselves as responsible custodians of the environment.

Why is the concept of a righteous kill so seductive? Our technology has made us almost untouchable, and the large predators are at our mercy. The dragons have all been slayed.

from alabamaoutlaw wrote 4 years 37 weeks ago

It will go from dog attacks to livestock attacks,If the population is not controlled ,individuals will take it upon themselves using whatever means needed.When an individuals ability to enjoy their sport because of the wolfit time to do something.They will start showing up on the golf course sooner than you think.Mountain lions on the schoolyard,never thats what California thought.
Alabamaoutlaw

from sjsmarais@gmail.com wrote 4 years 37 weeks ago

Interesting how global warming is fear mongering but wolves and mountain lions are a real threat. One (global warming) requires us to make sacrifices, and the other (wolves and lions) allows us to kill.

Check out www.wild-sentry.org for interesting wolf facts, also regarding livestock predation.

from JOHN ANDERSON wrote 4 years 37 weeks ago

WELL PUT SHANE!!

-1 Good Comment? | | Report
from peter wrote 4 years 37 weeks ago

wolves need to be hunted they are overpopulating and becomin more aggressive because lack of control

from AliciaO wrote 4 years 37 weeks ago

For those people who don't think something needs to be done about the wolf population, you need to do your research. Yes, I am a bear hunter but I also know a thing or two. In the last two years the wolf population has risen 14%. Do you think that is just going to get better? Wolves have no natural predator and the population is just going to keep going up.

from bluecollarkid wrote 4 years 37 weeks ago

This is why wolves were hunted to extinction and I see no reason to bring them back... kill them off.

from shane wrote 4 years 37 weeks ago

Our enjoyment/safety/convenience/whatever has no bearing on this or any conservation issue. This is about conservation biology and ecology, not the whims of some people.

from bluecollarkid wrote 4 years 37 weeks ago

What does conservation have to do with the destruction of people's property as a direct result of a failed "conservation biology and ecology" experiment. Re-Introducing wolves was a bad idea to begin with. Our forefathers hunted them to extinction for a reason... I tell you what, if you want biology/ecology then let the superior being on the food chain do its job - let us hunt wolves. By the by, I don't give a hoot about biology/ecology when its my butt on the line.

from VanhetHof wrote 4 years 37 weeks ago

I wonder how many hunting dogs are killed by bear each year?

Our forefathers did a lot of things that make me cringe; almost exterminating wolves being just one. Here's some more: wiping out the white pine forests, no more passenger pigeons, almost killing off all the whitetails and turkeys, no more grayling... and that's just in the Great Lakes Region.

Wolves have their place, and so does a properly managed hunting season.

SVH

from shane wrote 4 years 37 weeks ago

If you don't want your butt on the line, move to a nice safe suburban neighborhood. Nature is dangerous sometimes. Deal with it. You can't legislate safety.

from muskiemaster wrote 4 years 37 weeks ago

Shane I don't totally agree with you here. where we hunt is wolf country because with increasing wolf populations here in wisconsin there going to be all over the state if there is no hunting. there is no way of avoiding them if your a bird hunter in wisconsin like I am. So I would like an explanation of how I'm supposed to stay out of wolf country when it's where we live it's a part of life but let me tell you no wolf is going to come between me and my pup this fall when the hunting starts. it's blood for blood if they mess with my pup they've messed with me and if at all possible they will pay that's where I draw the line they don't mess with family like that. don't misunderstand me I think wolves are awesome animals and incredible predators but being in wolf country and hunting there is a part of life I'm prepared for and no what I plan to do if a wolf were to try and make a meal of my hunting buddy.

from eackerlund wrote 4 years 37 weeks ago

@ sjsmarais

Global Warming IS a hoax. Unquestionably. Its a leftist/environmentalist ploy/creation meant to dupe the public into bowing to their wishes so they can realize their wet dream of removing humanity and our "footprint" from the earth.

Its all about control, and they want it, so they can micromanage our daily existences and our lives.

Do some research, and think about it. Find out who owns the companies that make all these supposedly "green" products, and you'll also find your most emphatically adamant proponents of governmental control of the public's environmental interactions.

They want it to be illegal to do anything that isn't "green."

I say Screw them. And BlueCollarKid is right when he says wolves were exterminated for a reason: Wolves and humanity do not mix.

from shane wrote 4 years 37 weeks ago

It just drives me nuts when people think that wolves are a danger or vermin than need to be eliminated because they are inconvenient to them.

from shane wrote 4 years 37 weeks ago

Wolves were exterminated because the people at the time were ignorant and scared.

from logan.vandermay wrote 4 years 37 weeks ago

Shane, it is obvious that you have nothing of value that could be harmed by wolves. Wolves kill livestock. There was a reason people killed them off. I find it quite funny that people think we are not a part of nature. I is rediculous to think that we shouldn't manage them and try to keep their numbers to a minimum. They will move into suburban areas just like bears if you allow them to, mountain lions do. Maybe you should foot the bill for people who lose livestock to them and you would change your mind. They don't just kill one calf, they will decimate your whole herd. Now it is part of nature to let the strongest and smartest survive. I hope that we are smarter species.

from topo952003@yahoo.com wrote 4 years 37 weeks ago

shane obviously u either havent got trul close to an animal or u r just acting like the peta which one?

from sjsmarais@gmail.com wrote 4 years 37 weeks ago

eackerhund and logan.vandermay I challenge you to read 'Thinking like a mountain' by Aldo Leopold. It can be found in 'A sand county almanac'. In turn, I'll read something that you suggest that you feel explains your point of view.

Can you people not read?

"I'm not saying you or anybody can't or shouldn't shoot wolves. Believe me, If I was hunting and a wolf came between me and the dog, the wolf would be very dead." - says me.

I'm more than OK with shooting nuisance or threat wolves, but exterminating them is and was a foolish mistake. There is a big difference between exterminating wolves and having a well managed hunting season or shooting problem wolves.

from shane wrote 4 years 37 weeks ago

By the way, I've had a 40 yard encounter with a pair of wolves while armed. I didn't shoot them because they were no threat. I wasn't afraid of them, but they were afraid of me. They gave me a once over, and got the hell out of there.

from shane wrote 4 years 37 weeks ago

Why do we have to take everything to extremes? We don't agree perfectly, so I must be a PETA wacko activist?

Maybe this kind of mindset is why so much, including the political situation, is so screwed up in this country nowadays?

from sjsmarais@gmail.com wrote 4 years 37 weeks ago

Good comment Shane. This fear of wildlife is unfounded. Park rangers very rarely have to shoot to defend themselves. It is sad that some folks will grab any excuse to shoot something.

I hope that the anonimity offered by a blog encourages a disproportionate number of extremists to air their views, and that we don't really have so many radical opinions out there.

from Dave_Mata wrote 4 years 36 weeks ago

"I'm more than OK with shooting nuisance or threat wolves, but exterminating them is and was a foolish mistake."

Right. Anyone preaching extermination is ignorant of how ecosystems work. Extermination to protect "property" is a horrible, half-baked idea.

from sjsmarais@gmail.com wrote 4 years 36 weeks ago

Dave_Mata. It might not only be foolish and ignorant, but immoral as well.

Lev. 25:23-24. The land is mine and you are but aliens and my tenants. Throughout the country that you hold as a possession, you must provide for the redemption of the land.

Ezekiel 34:2-4. Woe to the shepherds of Israel who only take care of themselves! Should not the shepherds take care of the flock? You eat the curds, clothe yourselves with the wool and slaughter the choice animals, but you did not take care of the flock! You have not strengthened the weak or healed the sick or bound up the injured. You have not brought back the strays or searched for the lost. You have ruled them harshly and brutally.

Ezekiel 34:17-18. As for you, my flock... Is it not enough for you to feed on good pasture? Must you also trample the rest of your pasture with your feet? Is it not enough for you to drink clear water? Must you also muddy the rest with your feet?

from muddog wrote 4 years 36 weeks ago

Oh brother…..

Mr Eackerlund…. Your lack of logic ceases to amaze……

Yes Global Warming is a hoax perpetuated by the “Leftists’….and NASA and MIT and Union of Concerned Scientists and NOAH and…..
The earth is flat, only 6200 years old, we did not land on the moon and the UN is on it’s way with black helicopters to swoop you away to a detention camp for brain washing and forced leftist cuisine of tofu and Yoga.

Where do you get YOUR info?.

Get a life…

Your little “ I look like a swat team dude” picture speaks volumes.

A little paranoid are we?.

Let the Wolves roam, they don’t bother me.. I have been to Yosemite up close and personal and it is quite remarkable to see them. Wolves have been part of the natural system for ohh 10,000 years, leaving a little space for them is not much to ask. If you go into Wolf country and do not properly contain your dingbat bird dog, then don’t blame the wolf.

I was I Africa hunting, should we rid Africa of Lions because of the threat!? NO!, that’s what makes Africa, Africa.

Man has trashed enough of the west, allowing mother nature to be wild in a few pathetic places is not much to ask….

from wolfhunter wrote 4 years 36 weeks ago

Idaho, Wyoming, and Montana are opening a wolf hunting season! Visit www.huntwolves.com for the latest and most up to date information.

from madtrapper wrote 4 years 36 weeks ago

WOW, as i was skimming through the posts i was angered, enlightened and finally decided to jump into the fracus. I am a 22 yr old park ranger in NYS and frequently encounter timber rattle snakes. My region has three isolated dens composing a population of about 2000 snakes over a 100sq mile area. I've captured and relocated about 20 snakes (expand that to the other 5 rangers and thats 100 snakes handeld a season) and I dont feel threatened, or afraid. This goes for the bears, coyotes, and supposed mt. lions that roam throughout my region, and I camp/patrol throughout the mountains and forests daily. A conciounceous person (especially a skilled outdoorsmen) should not live in fear of being mauled, bitten, or eaten by any of these animals, but would infact be aware and in recognition of the majesty, and fundamental role everything plays in an ecosystem. Yes there is always the possability of danger in the wilderness, but isn't that part of the luster that draws us outside? Also, isn't their also steps in which we can take to prevent or lowwer our chance of having a bad encounter? These are not trick questions, the answers are YES and YES. And as far as the extermination of wolves as livestock predators goes, i say HA! Wolves do predate on livestock, but ranchers are COMPENSATED for this loss by the federal gov....hmmm OUR TAXES! so guess what folks, I (and you) have already payed for these losses, and I personally don't mind giving money for a lost calf to keep such a beautiful symbol of the wilderness around!

-and yes, if a wolf season opened i would absolutely 100% hunt them!

from shane wrote 4 years 36 weeks ago

"Your little “ I look like a swat team dude” picture speaks volumes."

HAHAHA.

Good one. I love those pics too. Look! I have a gun! See? Here's the muzzle! That's me pointing it at the camera by the way! OH $hit! It was loaded! Sorry dude!

from ralphbeagle wrote 4 years 16 weeks ago

Is is 'natural' for wolves to have no fear of man? Is it 'natural' for someone who is attacked, or whose property (dogs or livetsock) to be unable to defend them? What is going to happen to wildlife protection if license sales (which provde a very signifcant portion of wildlife funds in all states) go down because fewer people hunt - which is enough of a problem as is? Allowing the hunting / shooting of no wolves is just as ridiculous as the shooting of all wolves.

from wolftracker wrote 4 years 12 weeks ago

you ppl obviously have no idea what the wolves will do to damage the environment...

from wolftracker wrote 4 years 12 weeks ago

from Mike Diehl wrote 4 years 12 weeks ago

Nothing wrong with wolves killing hunting dogs; all's fair in war. Nothing wrong with people killing wolves where they're not endangered; that's just good management.

And Shane, Muddog, I didn't see that and think "SWAT Team Wannabe" so much as "Learned all about handguns by watching NWA gangstarap videos." I'm surprised he's not holding it sideways.

-2 Good Comment? | | Report
from Whitetailobserver wrote 4 years 7 weeks ago

The numbers on the WI DNR web site for this animals speak for itself. If you average the total number of depredation damage dollars paid in Wisconsin over the last six years and average the number of wolves during that time you come up with an average damage rate well above $250/per year/per wolf. If the 33000 bears in Wisconsin mauled and ate on livestock and dogs at that rate we would have $8,250,000 in damage yearly. Enough to pay for 3700 hunting hounds yearly. If deer damaged at one of the higher yearly rates of $406 (2004), the 1.7 million deer in Wisconsin would eat at least 868,000 calves yearly at the wolf damage pay rate. Wolves are different … period! This animal has a (well above) 100% chance (on average) to depredate on livestock over their lifetime! Look at the numbers! All for an animal that is not endangered, never was, never will be!

from Cobble wrote 4 years 6 weeks ago

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean a hunters paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed the neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view." From "Thinking Like a Mountain" in the Sand County Almanac" by Aldo Leopold.

from CharlieHume wrote 1 year 50 weeks ago

As a hunter, and a human, some of the comments below disgust me. The natural levels are nowhere within reach, and honestly the natural levels does not conduct good hunting. I have never seen such an uneducated response from people. Wolves and other apex predators are essential. When they are taken out a garden of eden full of easily shot deer doesn't occur. They population explodes far beyond our control and the vegetation suffers. Once the vegetation is at such low levels disease and starvation occurs. Then the deer population plummets and no hunting can occur at all. No wolves = no deer. The fact dogs are being affected is sad, but its a factor and a risk everyone takes when they hunt. Hunting is not for sissies, its for the strong. The strong can take loss and try to act with integrity to understand the complex system that exists out there. The strong know about the system before throwing out uneducated, ignorant responses like slandering people with "tree hugger" titles. If you don't like wolves, thats fine, but before you demand to take them out again, try to see what happened the last time we did that in the states. Nothing good.

from TinEagle wrote 42 weeks 17 hours ago

I'm not in wolf country here in New England so I've never seen one in the wild and have no 1st hand knowledge. But from what I have read, the populations vary between states some have more of a problem than others. From my understanding, the problems occur when the lawmakers don't listen to the scientists. If the wildlife officials, after tracking the populations say there should be a hunt to stabilize the predator/prey ratios, lawmakers ought to take the expert's advice. The same problem occured with the bear population in New Jersey when an anti-hunter governor overruled the state biologists.

from ken.mcloud wrote 4 years 37 weeks ago

from muskiemaster wrote 4 years 37 weeks ago

from topo952003@yahoo.com wrote 4 years 37 weeks ago

from sjsmarais@gmail.com wrote 4 years 37 weeks ago

from wolfhunter wrote 4 years 36 weeks ago

from sjsmarais@gmail.com wrote 4 years 37 weeks ago

from VanhetHof wrote 4 years 37 weeks ago

I wonder how many hunting dogs are killed by bear each year?

Wolves have their place, and so does a properly managed hunting season.

SVH

from logan.vandermay wrote 4 years 37 weeks ago

from muddog wrote 4 years 36 weeks ago

Oh brother…..

Mr Eackerlund…. Your lack of logic ceases to amaze……

Where do you get YOUR info?.

Get a life…

Your little “ I look like a swat team dude” picture speaks volumes.

A little paranoid are we?.

from eackerlund wrote 4 years 37 weeks ago

@ sjsmarais

They want it to be illegal to do anything that isn't "green."

Can you people not read?

from sjsmarais@gmail.com wrote 4 years 36 weeks ago

Dave_Mata. It might not only be foolish and ignorant, but immoral as well.

from madtrapper wrote 4 years 36 weeks ago

-and yes, if a wolf season opened i would absolutely 100% hunt them!

from ralphbeagle wrote 4 years 16 weeks ago

from wolftracker wrote 4 years 12 weeks ago

from wolftracker wrote 4 years 12 weeks ago

from Whitetailobserver wrote 4 years 7 weeks ago

from sjsmarais@gmail.com wrote 4 years 37 weeks ago

from Dave_Mata wrote 4 years 36 weeks ago

from shane wrote 4 years 36 weeks ago

"Your little “ I look like a swat team dude” picture speaks volumes."

HAHAHA.

from Cobble wrote 4 years 6 weeks ago

from CharlieHume wrote 1 year 50 weeks ago

from TinEagle wrote 42 weeks 17 hours ago

from logan.vandermay wrote 4 years 37 weeks ago

How bout this, if wolves don't want shot stay out of my country.

-1 Good Comment? | | Report