Chad Love: Friend Bucks on Facebook

Field Notes

September 25, 2009

Chad Love: Friend Bucks on Facebook

By Chad Love

Facebook, it seems, is becoming THE dominant social networking medium for keeping up with friends, family, business associates and people who in high school never knew you existed but for some inexplicable reason now feel compelled to be your friend. It's literally everywhere.

And with that level of saturation it was just a matter of time before Facebook- like a mutant virus- jumped species and began infecting the animal kingdom.

From the story:

KAMPALA, Uganda — Facebook has long been the place to keep up with your favorite party animals, but soon it'll help you keep up with real ones, too: Africa's endangered mountain gorillas. The Uganda Wildlife Authority is launching a program on Saturday to let people use www.friendagorilla.org or the social networking sites Facebook or Twitter to follow one of the gorillas in Bwindi Impenetrable National Park. For a minimum donation of $1, people can "friend" a gorilla to view videos and photos of their new buddy, plus track the gorilla's movements via the Global Positioning System.

In truth it's a very cool concept for a very worthy cause, but it got me to thinking: how long before the trophy hunting industry latches on to this idea? The possibilities are endless in a sort of creepy, unsettling way. You "Friend" your pre-picked trophy long before hunting season and then follow its daily routine via game cams and GPS through the course of the year. It's not unlike the remote hunting controversy from a few years back, but on a more involved, intimate level.

I have no idea if there is anything like that either operating or planned, but the technology is certainly there right now if someone wanted to. The question is: would you want to?

from ckRich wrote 4 years 29 weeks ago

No way! That would be like shopping at Wal-Mart. No fun at all!

from jjas wrote 4 years 29 weeks ago

from SD_Whitetail_Hntr wrote 4 years 29 weeks ago

Not a chance.. it's one thing to use it for a worthy cause like the gorilla deal.. It's completely another to make high fence hunting even more pathetic. The day I hunt game any way beyond completely wild, is the day I sell every piece of hunting/fishing gear I own. I might use a guide someday if I go some place completely new.. but it will be guided out in the open, no fenced bulls**t.

from straightshooter wrote 4 years 29 weeks ago

If there is a dollar to be made, someone will likely give it a try. But no, definitely not for me.

from shane wrote 4 years 29 weeks ago

BigSilverBackDude@8am: Just had a banana.

BigSilverBackDude@10am: Beating my chest...

BigSilverBackDude@12pm: Just tore up some bamboo.

BigSilverBackDude@4pm: Some crazy old lady just came and watched me and my buds for hours.
- CharlieChimp@4:03pm: Dude seriously? What was her name? I think she was just here last week. Now you guys?

BigSilverBackDude@5pm: My butt itches.

from seadog wrote 4 years 29 weeks ago

No thanks.

from Clay Cooper wrote 4 years 29 weeks ago

Using Facebook and Twitter never thought of using that way but your right Sir Chad and your really on it on this one. As for watching pre-picked trophy long before hunting season kinda spoils it like knowing the sex of your unborn child as if its a Girl or Boy. The excitement is like opening the greatest God given on Christmas Morning, "Know what I mean dar Vern!"

October First I'm playing hooky at work!

from Walt Smith wrote 4 years 29 weeks ago

Sounds like something the Quality Deer Management crowd will be saving their collective pennies for.

from Walt Smith wrote 4 years 29 weeks ago

Guy's check out this 9 pointer, is it OK to shoot this on or do I have to wait for a bigger one?? Please call me back with a answer soon!!

from mopedfredd wrote 4 years 29 weeks ago

There will be a time when you're in comfortable jammies at11 am drinking chilled coffee while you follow a nice buck on your computer screen via remote cameras. A click of the mouse to lock in, follow your deer and have someone else harvest it for you, clean it for you, and send you the trophy antlers already framed with a nice plaque from the deer farm you just paid an immense amount of money to.
I see it coming from the video game generation becaue going out and working at something is just not admirable anymore. My 2 cents.

from sgaredneck wrote 4 years 29 weeks ago

Mopedfredd,

Maybe in the future a miniature Predator-drone type UAV for hunting. Sit at home or at the office, looking at the FLIR image. Pick out the buck you want. We'll call it a UHAV. H for hunting.

God I hope not.

from shane wrote 4 years 29 weeks ago

BigSilverBackDude@8am: Just had a banana.

BigSilverBackDude@10am: Beating my chest...

BigSilverBackDude@12pm: Just tore up some bamboo.

BigSilverBackDude@5pm: My butt itches.

from ckRich wrote 4 years 29 weeks ago

No way! That would be like shopping at Wal-Mart. No fun at all!

from jjas wrote 4 years 29 weeks ago

from SD_Whitetail_Hntr wrote 4 years 29 weeks ago

from straightshooter wrote 4 years 29 weeks ago

from seadog wrote 4 years 29 weeks ago

No thanks.

from Walt Smith wrote 4 years 29 weeks ago

from Walt Smith wrote 4 years 29 weeks ago

from mopedfredd wrote 4 years 29 weeks ago

from sgaredneck wrote 4 years 29 weeks ago

Mopedfredd,

God I hope not.

from Clay Cooper wrote 4 years 29 weeks ago

October First I'm playing hooky at work!