Doggone Good! Best Dove Recipe Ever

Man's Best Friend

September 18, 2009

Doggone Good! Best Dove Recipe Ever

By David DiBenedetto

I’m not much of chef. My wife, Jenny, on the other hand, is superb. But the other day I stumbled upon a dove recipe that blew away every other one I had tried. And since we’re still deep in dove season, I figured we could take a break from straight dog talk and get down to eating.

As mentioned, I have had dove grilled, fried, baked with sour cream and white wine, and so on, but when I heard about Jalapeno Dove Poppers I had to try them. I love the recipe because it’s easy (which means a lot to an inept chef like myself), quick, and has some kick to it. It also requires nothing more than some dove breasts, jalapenos, cream cheese, and bacon. (Really, do better ingredients exist?)

I’m sure some of you more experienced chefs have your own take on this recipe (I’ve seen a few different versions) or maybe you have a better one. Share them with the crowd. Nothing better then enjoying the fruits of pup’s (and our) labor.

JALAPENO DOVE POPPERS

Ingredients:

De-boned dove breasts

1 can jalapeno peppers

1 tub cream cheese

Bacon

Toothpicks

1. Pre-heat grill

2. Rinse and dry dove breasts.

3. Slice jalapenos in half lengthwise. (Remove seeds and veins if you prefer less heat.)

4. Slather cream cheese in the open cavity of each jalapeno. Top with a dove breast, wrap in half a piece of bacon, and secure with a toothpick. Repeat will all breasts.

5. Grill poppers over medium-high heat for 15-20 minutes or until bacon is crisp, turning once. Salt and pepper to taste.

from victorytw228 wrote 4 years 30 weeks ago

Yes this ia a awesome recipe! Its also good with quail, backstrap, and sliced chicken breast. I personally think the chicken is the best! I also like to get the cheap thin bacon and wrap the meat completly not just around the sides, so the cream cheese doesnt mostly end up on the grill.

from SD_Whitetail_Hntr wrote 4 years 30 weeks ago

I'm a huge fan of this with dove!! I agree with victory about buying the thin cheap bacon and completely wrapping the popper. If you like the sweet and spicy combo, sprinkle a pinch of brown sugar on the entire wrapped popper before grilling it. It's a really good flavor combo in my book!

from Blitz wrote 4 years 30 weeks ago

Thanks for the cooking tips. Definitely a good set of ingredients. Can't wait to try them.

from texasfirst wrote 4 years 30 weeks ago

Is there, like, some other way to cook dove? This is all I ever do, and it's some of the best wild game cooking of all time. I don't think anyone cooks dove any other way than this in South Texas.

from Dave DiBenedetto wrote 4 years 30 weeks ago

texasfirst--I always knew you people in South Texas were a step ahead of the rest of us. LOL.

But seriously, I didn't say it was a brand new recipe just a new recipe for me.-d

from MLH wrote 4 years 30 weeks ago

You guys are killing me. I haven't had dove since ... well, it's been a long time. And we can't hunt the plentiful doves in Michigan. Will try this with woodcock, though.

from texasfirst wrote 4 years 30 weeks ago

Woodcock... this thing you speak of. Is bird, yes?

from seadog wrote 4 years 30 weeks ago

This sounds good. I can't wait to try this with some sliced turkey breast in the spring ... unless I can get me a fall bird this year.

from pinopolis wrote 4 years 30 weeks ago

seadog: you're absolutely right. you can pretty much use any type of meat. i've had similar preparation with pheasant and it was great!

from Seth Sell wrote 4 years 30 weeks ago

I tried this recipe a couple of nights ago, but with a few of the poppers I mixed honey in with the sour cream... oh man it was good.

from kelmitch wrote 4 years 30 weeks ago

We have got to try it.

from huskerguy wrote 4 years 30 weeks ago

It rocks. We also will make a little pan out of aluminum foil after then dove are cooked. Put the dove back on the grill and throw on some mozzarella cheese all over it. clean up is a breeze with the foil. No cheese on the grill and alot in your stomach.

from JOHN ANDERSON wrote 4 years 30 weeks ago

Thank you!!an mouth-watering recipe.EXCELLENT!!

from jtboles wrote 4 years 30 weeks ago

Sounds like a tasty recipe that imgoing to have to try.

from Del in KS wrote 4 years 30 weeks ago

Dang, just ate the last of that limit of doves I shot Sep 1st. Oh well Pheasant season is just around the corner.

from Quackwacker wrote 4 years 30 weeks ago

Dave that is a good one, we do the same thing with cubed duck breast also!

from MLH wrote 4 years 30 weeks ago

texasfirst ... uh, yes ... perhaps you might know them as timberdoodles. Guess that isn't much better. Who comes up with these names?

from kelmitch wrote 4 years 30 weeks ago

Its the way that shore bird that moved inland flies I guess MLH.In the woods they humble many hunters up,down all arround.I met a police officer that works the canine unit in Albany last year that invited me to hunt some of his fine timberdoodle land he said it looks like the forest floor is comeing up like a huge quail covey.Definetly looks like a must try recipe for the small fast flying bird I agree.

from kelmitch wrote 4 years 30 weeks ago

37 here in NY today first day of ruffed grouse season but cant hunt today have to go to Lee Mass to collect a trip I won and cash prize(Carribean cruise and cash).BUT STILL A VERY HARD CHOICE!

from kelmitch wrote 4 years 30 weeks ago

37 today here in NY first day of ruffed grouse season but cant hunt today have to go to Lee Mass. to collect a cruise and cash I won.BUT STILL IS A VERY TOUGH CHOICE TO GIVE UP THE FIRST DAY!

from ingebrigtsen wrote 4 years 29 weeks ago

1 tub of chreme -fraisch.
1 whole garlic cleaned up and each boat put through a garlicpress.
1-1,5 inch of white pepper-root from a tube and finely ground rocksalt to taste.
mix well..
leave it in the fridge for a couple of hours till it stiffens up and its great for anything with bird in it or even just for a homemade dip for chips..
when u get it right u dont really taste if for a couple of minutes then it friggin explodes in your mouth with taste..

from nschu460 wrote 4 years 29 weeks ago

I've done the same thing before except with an onion slice instead of the cream cheese. Also, we rolled the meat and onion in all-spice before combining all the ingredients. Absolutely delicious!

from woofbarkenarf wrote 4 years 29 weeks ago

Wonderful flavor with this recipe.I also like to use anaheim peppers for those that aren't accustomed to the jalapenos. Add a thin slice of garlic and onion, and wrap the bacon completely around the breast to contain the cream cheese and juices. Any bird, light or dark, is excellent this way!

from sgaredneck wrote 4 years 29 weeks ago

We did these at the last wild game supper we hosted. Excellent!

from Michael241 wrote 1 year 32 weeks ago

This is very good also try swapping cream cheese for pepper jack cheese it is also very good i like to do both at the same time with just about any wild game

from victorytw228 wrote 4 years 30 weeks ago

from texasfirst wrote 4 years 30 weeks ago

Woodcock... this thing you speak of. Is bird, yes?

from Dave DiBenedetto wrote 4 years 30 weeks ago

from MLH wrote 4 years 30 weeks ago

from Seth Sell wrote 4 years 30 weeks ago

from huskerguy wrote 4 years 30 weeks ago

from ingebrigtsen wrote 4 years 29 weeks ago

1 tub of chreme -fraisch.
1 whole garlic cleaned up and each boat put through a garlicpress.
mix well..

from SD_Whitetail_Hntr wrote 4 years 30 weeks ago

from Blitz wrote 4 years 30 weeks ago

from texasfirst wrote 4 years 30 weeks ago

from seadog wrote 4 years 30 weeks ago

from pinopolis wrote 4 years 30 weeks ago

from kelmitch wrote 4 years 30 weeks ago

We have got to try it.

from JOHN ANDERSON wrote 4 years 30 weeks ago

Thank you!!an mouth-watering recipe.EXCELLENT!!

from jtboles wrote 4 years 30 weeks ago

Sounds like a tasty recipe that imgoing to have to try.

from Del in KS wrote 4 years 30 weeks ago

from Quackwacker wrote 4 years 30 weeks ago

Dave that is a good one, we do the same thing with cubed duck breast also!

from MLH wrote 4 years 30 weeks ago

from kelmitch wrote 4 years 30 weeks ago

from nschu460 wrote 4 years 29 weeks ago

from kelmitch wrote 4 years 30 weeks ago

from kelmitch wrote 4 years 30 weeks ago

from woofbarkenarf wrote 4 years 29 weeks ago

from sgaredneck wrote 4 years 29 weeks ago

We did these at the last wild game supper we hosted. Excellent!

from Michael241 wrote 1 year 32 weeks ago