Tomorrow Is National Hunting and Fishing Day

Field Notes

September 25, 2009

Tomorrow Is National Hunting and Fishing Day

By Dave Hurteau

This weekend, the nation celebrates our long-cherished pursuits of hunting and fishing, the bounty of our land’s wildlife resources, and the central role sportsmen have played in conservation—and we rededicate ourselves to building a strong future for tomorrow’s sportsmen.

This year’s honorary chairman of National Hunting and Fishing Day is country music’s rising star Luke Bryan, who joins an select group of men to take on the role, including Terry Bradshaw, Arnold Palmer, George Bush, and Jeff Foxworthy.

“I feel very proud to be a part of this,” said Bryan. “I’m looking forward to the coming year. I hope to help grow awareness of what hunters and anglers do for conservation, and just promote hunting and fishing overall. It’s so important for young people to get involved in the outdoors. I couldn’t imagine my life and career without the time that I’ve spent hunting and fishing.”

Thousands of hunting- and fishing-related events are planned all around the country to celebrate the occasion. This weekend I’m going to do a little hunting myself (as it’s our bow opener) but I’m also to take a newcomer fishing. What are you going to do to celebrate National Hunting and Fishing Day?

Click here for more information.

from ingebrigtsen wrote 4 years 29 weeks ago

Hundreds of thousands of years ago our ancestors carved into and painted the image of the hunter into cavewalls so ancient by now that we consider it our distant past. those individuals made the difference between survival of the species or total extinction.. let us all honour our ancestors and those today that still keep this knowledge alive and interesting to young people wanting to feel selfreliant and who wanna survive no matter what.. 4 out of 5 people in the world throughouth the world has the genetics that says theire dominant ancestors was hunters and fishermen, and in modern agricultural living and diet its no wonder why we r riddled with diseases like diabetes etc.. even the eskimos didnt have serious healthissues untill they encountered the white man fed on agriculture and grains etc.. Hail to the hunters of our past that made our survival possible, and hail to the hunters of today keeping a tradition alive that has kept the human species alive for a million year or more:)

from SD_Whitetail_Hntr wrote 4 years 29 weeks ago

I will be out with my bow, enjoying what sounds like a fairly cool morning in South Dakota. My hunting will be cut short by a disasterously planned wedding of a close friend of mine. I have exchanged unkind words about planning a wedding on archery and waterfowl opener. Either way I'm gonna enjoy as much as possible before I have to go get dressed up and be miserable. I should show up in my camo and see how that goes over with the bride. I think my fiance would actually beat me senseless before I made it.

from seadog wrote 4 years 29 weeks ago

To SD_Whitetail_Hntr, the things we do for women! It looks like you've already learned one of life's great truths: if mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy. I'll be bowhunting most of the day and gator hunting after dark.

from MLH wrote 4 years 29 weeks ago

Hopefully, if my shooting's just crooked enough, feasting on some grouse and woodcock wrapped in bacon.

from idahooutdoors wrote 4 years 29 weeks ago

I will be going cutthroat fishing on the North Fork of the Clearwater and Kelly Creek, but will have the rifle along just in case I spot a bear on a hillside worth going after...and the .410 in case a grouse decides to hop into my skillet.....

from 86Ram wrote 4 years 29 weeks ago

Amen! Happy Hunting and good fishin guys and gals!
Make sure you take a youngin or introduce a freind to the outdoors and pass on the heritage.

from JOHN ANDERSON wrote 4 years 29 weeks ago

BEST OF LUCK AND SAFE AND HAPPY HUNTING AN FISHING IF YOUR GOING OUT!!

from Fruguy101 wrote 4 years 29 weeks ago

If anybody ever wants to have a camo tux, go to www.theformalsportsman.com to get one. SD whitetail piqued my curiosity, so i googled camo tuxedo. anyways, sorry to say i won't be doing anything for the national hunting and fishing day because it has been raining here in north mississippi for the past two weeks almost every freaking day. haven't been able to do anything outside. my yard looks like a hay field a deer might be bedding in.

from Brewster g wrote 4 years 28 weeks ago

I will be in the woods but I won't be hunting Me and the boys are going to sight in the new gun and do a little fishing between now and muzzle loader.Can't wait!!

from SD_Whitetail_Hntr wrote 4 years 29 weeks ago

from ingebrigtsen wrote 4 years 29 weeks ago

from seadog wrote 4 years 29 weeks ago

from idahooutdoors wrote 4 years 29 weeks ago

from JOHN ANDERSON wrote 4 years 29 weeks ago

BEST OF LUCK AND SAFE AND HAPPY HUNTING AN FISHING IF YOUR GOING OUT!!

from MLH wrote 4 years 29 weeks ago

from 86Ram wrote 4 years 29 weeks ago

Amen! Happy Hunting and good fishin guys and gals!

from Fruguy101 wrote 4 years 29 weeks ago