11-Year-Old Boy Dies In Georgia Youth-Hunt Accident

Field Notes

October 12, 2009

11-Year-Old Boy Dies In Georgia Youth-Hunt Accident

By Dave Hurteau

From the Dawson News & Advertiser:

An 11-year-old Dawsonville boy who was shot in the head when his gun accidentally discharged in the Dawson Forest Wildlife Management Area on Friday has died.

John Wayne Corcoran was transported by air to Children’s Healthcare of Atlanta at Scottish Rite following the incident, which occurred just before 6 p.m. He died at the hospital later that night.

According to authorities, Corcoran was hunting with this grandfather, Bernard Corcoran of Dahlonega, during an adult-child hunt when the incident occurred.

from 86Ram wrote 4 years 27 weeks ago

My sincereist condolences to the family during this tragic event. May he rest in peace in the hands of God.
May God watch over and comfort his family and friends.

from buckhunter wrote 4 years 27 weeks ago

I just can't imagine what the family must be going through. My sincere condolences.

from JOHN ANDERSON wrote 4 years 27 weeks ago

What a terrible loss! Our condolences and prayers go out to the Corcoran family.

from Derrit wrote 4 years 27 weeks ago

How sad. I couldn't imagine- my prayers and thoughts go out to the Corcoran family.

from idduckhntr wrote 4 years 27 weeks ago

My heart goes out to the family what a terriable loss, a long time ago I was almost involved in a not so good situation where a out a stater thought I was a deer at 50 yrds he had his gun on me as I was draggin out a deer I told him to get his eyes checked for I have never seen a bright orange deer before and to go take a hunters ed class.

from sgaredneck wrote 4 years 27 weeks ago

Prayers and thoughts for the Corcoran family.

from bluecollarkid wrote 4 years 27 weeks ago

Truly tragic. My thoughts and prayers are with the family.

from MidMichHunter wrote 4 years 27 weeks ago

Sad day for the family and the entire hunting family. It brings me to tears to think abut that poor boy & his family. My God Bless them...

from Mike Diehl wrote 4 years 27 weeks ago

Hey Jasminewhatever. No sympathy for the parents? Back under your rock, jerk!

from idduckhntr wrote 4 years 27 weeks ago

Mike well said I did'nt want to say anything to afraid I would go off on (them) meaning the antis. It is truley tragic what happend to that boy.

from rabbitpolice88 wrote 4 years 27 weeks ago

JasmineTC,
You truly heartless, blight upon the hunting comunity person. You should be ashamed of yourself, what if it was your child and someone comes along and says "no pity for the parents." You make me sick, to even be associated with your kind sheds a bad light on anyone who calls themselves an outdoorsman. You should apologize

from sgaredneck wrote 4 years 27 weeks ago

Jasmine TC, or Caroline, or Jason Miller, or whoever or whatever personality you are today:

You shameless POS. You have the nerve to denigrate and demean the deceased, their family, and his memory. I am all for you having a voice, voicing that opinion of yours plural, and all of your freedoms. I however, have requested to F&S that your post be removed because of your absolute lack of decorum and your total disregard for human dignity.

from logan.vandermay wrote 4 years 27 weeks ago

I feel real sorry for the family, and my thoughts and prayers are with them.

JasmineTC
Your a pitiful excuse for your cause or for any cause whatsoever. You are no better than a criminal. I had to try real hard to keep my post this curtious and not go off on you.

from 86Ram wrote 4 years 27 weeks ago

Jasmine Who the hell pulled your string you oxygen theif. Go back to your bongwater and tofu.
That is not a proper comment to make when a person is injured or killed no matter how they died.
Once again you show your true colors.

from John Dougherty wrote 4 years 27 weeks ago

What a sad loss. I join those who offer their condolences to the Corcoran family, and their condemnation of JasmineTC's comments. How can any civilized person feel anything but sadness at the death of an 11-year old boy?

I've been reading this site for a few years, but this is the first time I've felt compelled to post. Do others think this thread would be an appropriate thread to discuss lessons that could be learned from this?

from steve182 wrote 4 years 27 weeks ago

Deepest sympathies for the family. Tragedies like this break my heart.

from ranger2 wrote 4 years 27 weeks ago

My thoughts and prayers go out to the family. It is a sad day when a youg one passes in such a manner.
I will also pray for JasmineTC. Apparently "they" need it just as bad.

from elmer f. wrote 4 years 27 weeks ago

A shooting fathers wost nightmare come true. i feel horrible for them, and don't even know them. my heart sank as i read the title. the boy, is with God, the family however, is going through he77. and the sad awfull truth is there is nothing anyone can really do to comfort them. only God can help them with this kind of pain. i do not pray much, but i will for this family.

from buckhunter wrote 4 years 27 weeks ago

The editors will never remove Jasmines post. She is her own worst enemy.

Ignorance is best left ignored.

from Del in KS wrote 4 years 27 weeks ago

Condolences to the family. This is everyone's worst nightmare.

Jasmine you are stinking the place up. Why don't don't you go french kiss a Rattler.

from JasmineTC wrote 4 years 27 weeks ago

You see why they want to "recuit" young children even children as young as 6!

Finding #4: Without Changes, The Future of Hunting is Bleak
Unless changes are made to address poor
hunting replacement numbers, the future of
hunting, conservation and the shooting sports
industry is in jeopardy.
Hunter Numbers
The overall hunter population peaked in the
mid 1980s with 16.8 million in 1985. By 2001,
hunter populations had dropped 23 percent.
By 2025 numbers are expected to drop
another 24 percent to 9.9 million.

Then they try to tell you how "safe" hunting is to children. They keep mentioning that in other sports like basketball, baseball etc there are more "injuries" but we are not talking about minor "injuries" from other sports (real sports) we are talking about serious injuries and death.

Just read how pathetic the hunting industy with all that lies of "safe safe safe" when they know damn well its dangerous.

Young kids are using weapons meant for killing and if adult hunters die from hunting accident how do you suppose that children are any safer?. There was another 11 year old in July

11-Year-Old Boy Dies in Hunting Accident
7/10/2009

ABBEVILLE, S.C. (AP) -- An 11-year-old South Carolina boy has died after his rifle accidentally fired as he climbed down from a hunting stand.

Multiple media outlets reported that John Michael Evans of Abbeville died about an hour after he was struck in the head shortly after 6 p.m. Thursday.

Abbeville County Coroner Ronnie Ashley says the boy was in a deer stand in a tree with a friend when he started climbing down and dropped his .22-caliber rifle and it fired.

Ashley says no autopsy is planned. The coroner and sheriff's deputies are investigating.

Listen to the guy on this video he says "you have to treat a loaded gun like a deadly snake" "even experience hunters have to be careful"

Yet these recruiters of children to kill keep saying "safe , safe, safe" . How desperate can you be?

Just look at the hunting accident lists

NY: Hunter shot - mistaken for a turkey - 29 May 2009
NY: Turkey hunter shoots friend - 22 May 2009
NC: Hunter lucky to be alive after being shot in the abdomen - 22 May 2009
NM: Boy, 13, killed in hunting accident - 19 May 2009

There is more here.

2008 here

Sorry I have no sypathy nor compassion for those who never had compassion when they were destroying of an innocent sentient being. These animals have as much right to live a full life like you and I would like to. A fawn or yearling would like to live to be adult and die a natural death. Sorry I have no sympathy especially aat this time of the year when I most likely will never see some my deer again because wildlife killer decided they want to end his/her life.

-13 Good Comment? | | Report
from rabbitpolice88 wrote 4 years 27 weeks ago

Jasminetc,
You are truly pathetic, go rejoin your other PETA friends, what right do you have to call them "your deer"? Do you know what happens to the deer herds when you don't hunt them? They begin to starve themselves out, become diseased, cause catastrophic damages to crops (far more than they do already) and are responsible for a huge number of deaths and crashes on the public road. You people have no knowledge about wildlife whatsoever, your all the some global warming, Bush hating, left wing wacko crowd that put Obama in the white house. Letting kids ride bikes and atvs are more deadly than hunting of any kind.

from Mike Diehl wrote 4 years 27 weeks ago

Let's not feed the PETA troll, folks.

from idduckhntr wrote 4 years 27 weeks ago

Clicked on the links provided by numb nuts and 1/2 the accidents listed could happen in your own back yard, and to any body for that matter. Tired of these fools thinking they know whats best for eveybody go munch a carrot and do every body a faver like live with the grizzlys or free dive with greatwhites with a tuna steak tied around your neck. You have no regard for this boy or his family so STFU and keep your bs to your self. Any body want to give me a - go ahead.

from Mike Diehl wrote 4 years 27 weeks ago

I gave you + for that IDduckhntr.

Did you ever see that youtube video of the waify PETA type protesting outside KFC and this guy and a couple others come out and eat a bucket o chicken in front of her. She looked like she was gonna cry and I laughed my rear end off almost as much as when I saw that WoW Funeral Ambush video (never played it myself but it was obvious what was going on and VERY funny).

from KJ wrote 4 years 27 weeks ago

Trolls like Jasmine are best ignored.
A family has been devastated, and a young life lost. May the God of grace give them peace in a time when life seems hopeless.

from 86Ram wrote 4 years 27 weeks ago

Looks like the anti has found new stompin grounds... she's found a new way to menace us and sink to a new low with her blatant disrespect a loss of life.

She cannot sink any lower... there is a special place in hell for her and her bunch of whackjobs... it's bad enough she spewed her lies and hatred on another blog... now this. This is too much.

from 86Ram wrote 4 years 27 weeks ago

These Antis (OXYGEN THEIVES) will do anything to get attention.

from kybowhunter wrote 4 years 27 weeks ago

My thoughts and prayers go out to this family. To hear this after my son got his first buck this weekend during our youth puts things in a different perspective. To the moron that put a bad taste in my mouth with her psycho babul redric your comments are neither wanted or needed here especially under this particular post.

from idduckhntr wrote 4 years 27 weeks ago

Mike I am glad that we see eye to eye on some things I wonder if it were their child if things would be different? The kind of crap these people spill out just gets in my nerves half of it they make up the other half they dont have a clue. Again it is a truely sad day for that boys family and I would not wish it on any body.

from bamaoutdoorsman93 wrote 4 years 25 weeks ago

I am so sorry for the family and what they are going through. My prayers are with you. As for jasmine tc, I hope you get paralized!!!!!!I hope you have to live a very long life stuck in a chair not being able to do anything on your own(I apologize to any outdoorsman who have relatives suffering of this but this sorry, lowdown, jerk deserves it) you are a sick, horrible human being and deserve an awful, miserable life. Its very obvious that you have never known what it feels like to have lost a loved one,especially a child, and then have sombody ridicule them. this is probably because you have no friends because you are a slimy litte sh!tstai on the filthiest spot on earth. To say that you have no sympathy for the parents of a deceased child is the worst thing I have ever heard said. You deserve whatever tradgedy befalls you. I have said somthings to people that werent right on here and I am sorry about them, but you, on the other hand, are just another pot smokin athiest peta city slicker and I cant wait till you get your just-deserves!!!1

from bamaoutdoorsman93 wrote 4 years 25 weeks ago

I wish f&s would ban all these antis and pot heads. this is an outdoors mag, not peta.

from Cgull wrote 4 years 25 weeks ago

Such a horrible accident always hurts so many. Magnifies that we as parents, grand parents and adults should teach gun safety as well as outdoor safety to our little ones over and over. Nothing will heal the pain for those lost. My prayers go out to all.

from kodnocker wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

My condolences go out to the family in this time of great loss. I hunt with my grandfather every year and i am now 30 yrs old. Some of the greatest memories that i have are hunting experiences that i have shared with him. He is now 78 years old and we are both looking forward to this season. Saying this, the time leading up to this tragedy i am confident was one of those moments for young john, and there was no other place on earth that he would have rather been. As for the people against youth hunting, i do not agree. I plan to take my own son and my daughter as soon as they are old enough.

from coho310 wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

Why is the heartless anti-hunter with the -12 a member in the first place?

from jmoss wrote 4 years 22 weeks ago

These kind of tragedies are doubly sad because not only is it heartbreaking to see a young person perish, but also because it was so preventable. My condolences for the family. We should all walk away from this making sure that we both observe the safest practices with guns and teach others the same. Never get too comfortable, everyone forgets now and again whether it is loaded or not.

from catfish12g wrote 3 years 14 weeks ago

Our thoughts and prayers to those involved in this tragic accident. And to jasminetc more people are killed on purpose than those killed in hunting and fishing accidents. And hunting and fishing has been going on since the beginning of mankind those who oppose are not criticized, nor harassed by ethical sportsman. And those deer that were killed were all eaten so none went to waste

from sgaredneck wrote 4 years 27 weeks ago

from Mike Diehl wrote 4 years 27 weeks ago

Hey Jasminewhatever. No sympathy for the parents? Back under your rock, jerk!

from Del in KS wrote 4 years 27 weeks ago

Condolences to the family. This is everyone's worst nightmare.

from rabbitpolice88 wrote 4 years 27 weeks ago

Jasminetc,

from idduckhntr wrote 4 years 27 weeks ago

from buckhunter wrote 4 years 27 weeks ago

The editors will never remove Jasmines post. She is her own worst enemy.

Ignorance is best left ignored.

from idduckhntr wrote 4 years 27 weeks ago

from 86Ram wrote 4 years 27 weeks ago

May God watch over and comfort his family and friends.

from rabbitpolice88 wrote 4 years 27 weeks ago

JasmineTC,

from logan.vandermay wrote 4 years 27 weeks ago

I feel real sorry for the family, and my thoughts and prayers are with them.

JasmineTC

from 86Ram wrote 4 years 27 weeks ago

Once again you show your true colors.

from ranger2 wrote 4 years 27 weeks ago

I will also pray for JasmineTC. Apparently "they" need it just as bad.

from Mike Diehl wrote 4 years 27 weeks ago

I gave you + for that IDduckhntr.

from buckhunter wrote 4 years 27 weeks ago

from JOHN ANDERSON wrote 4 years 27 weeks ago

from Derrit wrote 4 years 27 weeks ago

from idduckhntr wrote 4 years 27 weeks ago

from sgaredneck wrote 4 years 27 weeks ago

Prayers and thoughts for the Corcoran family.

from bluecollarkid wrote 4 years 27 weeks ago

Truly tragic. My thoughts and prayers are with the family.

from MidMichHunter wrote 4 years 27 weeks ago

from John Dougherty wrote 4 years 27 weeks ago

from steve182 wrote 4 years 27 weeks ago

Deepest sympathies for the family. Tragedies like this break my heart.

from elmer f. wrote 4 years 27 weeks ago

from Mike Diehl wrote 4 years 27 weeks ago

Let's not feed the PETA troll, folks.

from KJ wrote 4 years 27 weeks ago

Trolls like Jasmine are best ignored.

from 86Ram wrote 4 years 27 weeks ago

from 86Ram wrote 4 years 27 weeks ago

These Antis (OXYGEN THEIVES) will do anything to get attention.

from kybowhunter wrote 4 years 27 weeks ago

from idduckhntr wrote 4 years 27 weeks ago

from kodnocker wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

from coho310 wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

Why is the heartless anti-hunter with the -12 a member in the first place?

from jmoss wrote 4 years 22 weeks ago

from bamaoutdoorsman93 wrote 4 years 25 weeks ago

from bamaoutdoorsman93 wrote 4 years 25 weeks ago

from Cgull wrote 4 years 25 weeks ago

from catfish12g wrote 3 years 14 weeks ago

from JasmineTC wrote 4 years 27 weeks ago

You see why they want to "recuit" young children even children as young as 6!

Finding #4: Without Changes, The Future of Hunting is Bleak
Unless changes are made to address poor
hunting replacement numbers, the future of
hunting, conservation and the shooting sports
industry is in jeopardy.
Hunter Numbers
The overall hunter population peaked in the
mid 1980s with 16.8 million in 1985. By 2001,
hunter populations had dropped 23 percent.
By 2025 numbers are expected to drop
another 24 percent to 9.9 million.

11-Year-Old Boy Dies in Hunting Accident