Discussion Topic: On Early-Season Hunting

Whitetail 365

October 08, 2009

Discussion Topic: On Early-Season Hunting

By Dave Hurteau

Chris Lawrence of the West Virginia Metro News isn’t sold on early-season deer hunting. Here’s why:

A couple of hunters who participated in the early season tell me by the time they managed to get to their deer during the season the meat was already starting to turn [because it was so hot outside]. . . .

Furthering the problems with an early season, most of the meat processors who generally handle butchering duties for a fee for hunters were not up and running for the early season. . . .

I applaud the DNR's efforts to try and find new ways to accommodate additional hunting, but in this particular case I think the idea is flawed by Mother Nature herself. In my own opinion, it's just too warm to deer hunt in September.

What say you?

More Whitetail Headlines:

CWD Fears Could Lead To Deer-Urine Ban

Pranksters Dress Dead Deer In Clown Outfit

Texas Ranch Manager Killed By Exotic Deer

Florida’s Top Spots For The 2009 Deer Season

from MB915 wrote 4 years 27 weeks ago

I agree that when hunting when its warm out, your run the risk of the meat spoiling, but that is something you need to plan for before heading out. Before you shoot a deer, you should all ready know if the butcher will be accepting deer and know where you can get some ice to cool the deer off quickly.

I butcher the deer myself, so I would immediately gut, skin and debone the meat. Cant get all that done in a matter of 2-3 hours which should prevent the meat from spoiling.

Its like being a boy scout, you just need to be prepared. Also plan accordingly.

from buckhunter wrote 4 years 27 weeks ago

Other than mosquitos, sweating and the deer laid up all day due to the heat, I love early season.

Meat does not spoil as quickly as most people think. I had an elk hang for 2 days in 80 degree heat (cool evenings). Best meat I've ever had.

from steve182 wrote 4 years 27 weeks ago

Early season, we butcher them quickly after the harvest.

from seadog wrote 4 years 27 weeks ago

If early season is defined by temperature, here in Florida it lasts til about February. Hang em & skin em & get the meat on ice. Then grab a cold one.

from weaklandjr wrote 4 years 27 weeks ago

These hunters should do some better planning before hunting. Read the article again and see what I’m talking about.

A couple of hunters – not all hunters, but a couple. Do some planning. Most of the meat processors – not all processors, but most. Do some planning.

I guess that some people just want to be handed the venison with none of the work.

from sgaredneck wrote 4 years 27 weeks ago

As eager and anxious as I am for the season to start, in my heart I wish they'd shift it maybe 2 weeks back and end it 2 weeks later here. There are always hot days in the stand here but there is just something wrong when it's in the 90's and the season has started.

As far as the meat turning, here in GA about the only way to go is to ice it or cool it down FAST. I don't take mine to the processor - I have always done my own. It's not that big a deal, and I think processing your own makes you a better hunter and more aware of what you are doing.

from salmonquest wrote 4 years 27 weeks ago

i don't see it as any different than fishing. You load the cooler up with ice so your catch stays fresh. Seems pretty common sense.

from ejunk wrote 4 years 27 weeks ago

I skipped both early seasons here in WV because there are better things to do in WV in September than hunt deer. I'm ok with waiting till mid-October because that gives me... 10 friggin' weeks of deer seasons.

yrs-
Evan!

from WVOtter wrote 4 years 27 weeks ago

These are things you should consider before going out for the hunt. I'm as anxious as the next guy to get into the woods, but if your butcher isn't on duty or it's that hot, you should reevaluate. If you butcher yourself, just let it age a few days in the fridge before putting it in the freezer since it can't hang.

from Dann wrote 4 years 27 weeks ago

Out here in Ca, Archery deer starts in July, the first General Rifle season goes Aug-Sept. Elk season starts in Sept as well. Hmmmm, any complaints? Nope! We like it that way.

from kk66 wrote 4 years 27 weeks ago

I agree that this is just a case of extremely poor planning. If hot weather made it impossible to kill deer without the meat spoiling then there wouldn't be hunting seasons in Texas, Florida, or anywhere else in the south. As far as the processors being closed, I like to read a lot of the old safari hunter's books and they've all stressed how learning anatomy makes you a better at placing your shot so I'm a firm believer that everyone should process their own game as much as possible.

from Walt Smith wrote 4 years 27 weeks ago

Thats what I like about the 50.00 yard sale refrigerator for the garage. All you do is quarter up your deer and wrap it in saran wrap, stick it in the fridge, and clean it a quarter at a time at your leisure. Of course some guys and gals would rather spend 100.00 and have someone else process it for them.

from Whackdaddy wrote 4 years 27 weeks ago

It requires a little forethought and extra effort, but that's part of the challenge of hunting. If you're not up for it or can't wait for a high-percentage shot that will drop your deer within 100 yards, wait till it's cold outside.

from jfgann66 wrote 4 years 27 weeks ago

I guess everybody is in agreement, but how about looking at it this way. Maybe these guys dont like the heat and the work and the bugs. Maybe these guys arent into that kind of stuff thats their deal and I am ok with that parking lot is full enough on open day. Lets appreciate one thing though they are hunting and they are harvesting the meat that means more to me than how many days a year they go at least they go. me I would hunt with a flip and a rock if they had the season for it but thats just me. Embrace your fellow hunters we dont have many left.

from deadeyedick wrote 4 years 27 weeks ago

WARM WEATHER DOES INDEED CREATE PROBLEMS FOR THE EARLY SEASON HUNTER. COOLING OUT THE CARCASS IS YOUR NUMNER PRIORITY. USING ICE PACKED INSIDE THE BODY CAVITY HELPS IMMENSELY. HANG YOUR DEER IN A WELL VENTILATED AREA OR USE A FAN TO CIRCULATE AIR. PROCESSING A DEER IS NOT ALL THAT DIFFICULT AND IT CAN BE DONE BY ANYONE WITH A FEW SIMPLE TOOLS . MOST STATES HAVE A PAMPHLET THEY WILL GIVE YOU UPON REQUEST WITH THE INFORMATION NEEDED TO PROCESS A DEER . IF YOUR STATE DOES NOT A TRIP TO THE LIBRARY OR ONLINE WILL GET YOU THE NEEDED INFO. GOOD LUCK, BY THE WAY ,, "DO NOT SPRAY WATER ON A DEER. IT PROMOTES THE GROWTH OF BACTERIA THAT INCREASES THE RATE OF SPOILAGE

from petersoncam02 wrote 4 years 27 weeks ago

Where i live in traverse city the season start is quite chilly this year so i dont exactly know if that would be true.

from seadog wrote 4 years 27 weeks ago

P.S. to my previous comment. We're having a cool spell. The forecast for my hunt tomorrow: 78 at sunrise, 92 in the afternoon.

from Jim in Mo wrote 4 years 27 weeks ago

In the midwest if we are deer hunting it's best to bring a cooler with blocks of ice to insert into the deers cavity. Have a processor or plan on butchering your deer soon after getting home unless it's a cool year.

from steve182 wrote 4 years 27 weeks ago

Broke a full sweat climbing my tree, then fed the mosquitos for 3 hours w/o seeing a deer. Yeah, i love the early season. We really really need a frost.

from scdeerhunter wrote 4 years 27 weeks ago

Our deer season in the low country of South Carolina starts Aug. 15th & goes thru 1 Jan. Our meat processors are open & ready for business any time after the 15th of Aug.I was hunting yesterday & The temp was 88, The real bad thing about hunting than is the bugs,but that what the ThemaCell is for. The people I go to is open till 9:00pm

from wvhunter wrote 4 years 27 weeks ago

My WV early season hunt went great without any problems. I just had to adjust my recovery and processing time tables. The only people that I know that had any heat related problems were because of marginal shots. It was great to get some meat in the freezer. I hope they keep the early season.

from lawman328 wrote 4 years 27 weeks ago

This is a little off topic but I've always heard that meat is more tender and has better flaver if you age your meat for a few days, I know that the meat should be kept cool but not cold and hung in a dark place or at least out of direct sunlight. But I'm not forsure on the whole proccess. Anyone know the the exact way to do this?
Also here in Tennessee, last years rifle opener was hot, and I drove buy the proccesers that evening, and he had a extra walk in cooler that he got from lord knows, and about 15 to 20 deer packed with ice in his parking lot, I wonder how that turned out? It would have been cheeper to rent a Semi Refer trailer I would bet.

from MB915 wrote 4 years 27 weeks ago

from weaklandjr wrote 4 years 27 weeks ago

from kk66 wrote 4 years 27 weeks ago

from sgaredneck wrote 4 years 27 weeks ago

from buckhunter wrote 4 years 27 weeks ago

from seadog wrote 4 years 27 weeks ago

from WVOtter wrote 4 years 27 weeks ago

from Walt Smith wrote 4 years 27 weeks ago

from deadeyedick wrote 4 years 27 weeks ago

from steve182 wrote 4 years 27 weeks ago

from steve182 wrote 4 years 27 weeks ago

Early season, we butcher them quickly after the harvest.

from salmonquest wrote 4 years 27 weeks ago