Illinois Hunter Killed By Friend In Bowhunting Accident

Field Notes

October 06, 2009

Illinois Hunter Killed By Friend In Bowhunting Accident

By Dave Hurteau

From the Evansville Courier & Press:

Aaron J. Long, 20, was pronounced dead at the scene shortly after 7 p.m. Thursday night. According to Wayne County Sheriff Jim Hinkle, Long had been hunting near the Sam Dale Lake State Park with several friends Thursday evening when he decided to come down from his deer stand earlier than expected.

“Mr. Long was sitting on a small ridge when his 16-year-old friend walked up on him and mistook him for a wild turkey,” Hinkle said. “He was struck in the upper back and died at the scene.”

from Clay Cooper wrote 4 years 28 weeks ago

Sir Chad, perhaps we should go into business in making flash cards with animals and humans etc for hunters!

from Koldkut wrote 4 years 28 weeks ago

That's such a sham, or shame depending on how you look at it. On one hand someone must not have taught this young man what a turkey looks like, or to ID his target positivley. HIs buddy might have been better off not wearing the macy's thanksgiving day parade costume this early in the year. While this is sad indeed, I hope the guilt keeps him from mis-identifying his target again.

from cfroud wrote 4 years 28 weeks ago

sounds like someone was shooting without enough light to positively identify a target. Who really thinks they can walk right up to a turkey, draw a bow, and kill it without it spooking. Just yesterday, I walked out on my front porch and saw two hen turkey take off running like I was the devil himself and they were about 150 yards away. The age of the shooter (16) probably played the largest role in the unfortunate circumstance. Though I support lax age requirements when it comes to hunting, I do know that some people should never be trusted with a weapon, whether 8 or 80 years old. Some folks just never learn. I hope this young man truly made a mistake and is not one of the few who are so reckless as to not be trusted with a weapon. I pray I take my own advice.

from jjas wrote 4 years 28 weeks ago

How can you not tell the difference between a turkey and a person @ bow range?

The other night I was bowhunting and had a deer walk by my stand. I could identify the fact is was a small deer but I wasn't sure if it was a big button buck or a year and a half of doe. So I didn't shoot.

Identify your target......

from steve182 wrote 4 years 28 weeks ago

A very sad, and inexcusable mistake. I do not believe this man should hunt again. Sorry. His "buddy" who looked like a turkey to him sure won't. I have much sympathy for both the family of the victim, and for the shooter, as we all make mistakes. However, this young man's hunting priveledges should be suspended indefinetly.

from rabbitpolice88 wrote 4 years 28 weeks ago

that's why whenever I come up on a hunter I make myself known by voice before I show myself. Some people react to movement of any kind when hunting and don't stop to ID who or what made the sound.

from Elmer Fudd wrote 4 years 28 weeks ago

He'll likely never hunt again by choice. Problem is, he didnt take to heart that he should identify his target.

I am going to come down a little hard on those who keep saying "how can you mistake a [fill-in-the-blank] for a human?" Where is that coming from? I actually wonder if that was what misled the guy, I'll shoot because I think I see a turkey and of course I hear everybody saying you can't mistake one for another hunter.

WRONG! your eyes can play tricks on you when you WANT to see a turkey. Experienced and inexperienced hunters are making this mistake aplenty, and turkey hunting has a lot of this!

"Identify your target" BECAUSE "your eyes can play tricks."

from Derrit wrote 4 years 28 weeks ago

Wow whata sad story-the guy gets out of his stand a little early and gets shot in the back by his buddy-choose your hunting partners wisely I guess.

from seadog wrote 4 years 27 weeks ago

To Elmer Fudd,
Even though I agree with your ultimate conclusion, I'll defend the other side. When people say "how can you mistake a [whatever] for a human?" they're talking about when it's time to pull the trigger or release the arrow. You're right that we all "see" things that aren't really there, but it usually takes only a few seconds to recognize that a tree stump or a shadow isn't a turkey. Sometimes it takes longer, but that movement or sound in the brush isn't a target. So whatever it is, now that it's in range, and I have a good look at it, and I'm ready to release the safety or draw my bow--now we can say "how could anyone mistake a hunter for a turkey?"

from borediis21 wrote 4 years 27 weeks ago

i agree you always need to determine what your target is before you shoot... but i have et t understand how a a kid the same age as me was mistaken for a turkey... if it were me i'd pass on something if it was questionable because there's always next year to harvest animals.

from ricefarm wrote 4 years 27 weeks ago

How many times do we have to see these stories about morons shooting people, usually a friend? If you can't identify what you are shooting at, don't shoot. It's tragic, and accident or not anyone who does this should never be allowed to hunt again, any season, period.

from idahooutdoors wrote 4 years 27 weeks ago

Happens every year...hunters have to identify targets before shooting...luckily I think with all the hunter safety courses taught these days a lot of this is avoided, I think there would be even more accidents in the field without the measures in place...when you consider the number of hunters that take to the field every year, accidents are rare...but that does little to console the families loss...

from Jeff Bowers wrote 4 years 27 weeks ago

I started wearing some flavor of orange pattern after a round hit a tree next to a friend of mine one year. A bad shot is the only reason he is alive now.

They make such good clothing now that people just look like "something brown" moving in the woods. I won't fully camo like that.

from 86Ram wrote 4 years 27 weeks ago

What a tragedy. Such a young man too. My heart goes out to the families.
Whatever happened to positive identification of your target? Is that not taught anymore?
Ever heard of Situational Awareness?
Shooting at an unidentified target Is it worth it?

I wear orange to and from the woods and I absolutely hunt PRIVATE Property as much as I can because of stories like this.

from 86Ram wrote 4 years 27 weeks ago

16 yrs old and he has a lifetime of a burden to bear for his actions.

from Clay Cooper wrote 4 years 27 weeks ago

Let’s see?

Turkey..... Human?

Human......Turkey?

How you figure?

FOOD FOR THAUGHT

The adrenaline rush overcomes thought and reason!

The unbearable urge that you must tag out to avoid the depressing let down when season ends and you go home empty handed.

How many of you ever spotted Stump Deer?

from JTC wrote 4 years 27 weeks ago

This is why North Carolina requires every hunter to wear blaze orange somewhere on their body when they are hunting. Turkey hunters are an exception to this law, however.

from buckhunter wrote 4 years 27 weeks ago

I wear orange while I turkey hunt unless my back is up against a big tree. It's good practice even if it's just a hat.

Food for thought: How long will it be before someone sues the camouflage maker?

In regards to the hunting incident. It's rarely one thing but a sum of many things added up that cause hunting accidents.

from 86Ram wrote 4 years 27 weeks ago

Big black ball with red or blue head about 3 foot tall or tall camo man like thing?

from Walt Smith wrote 4 years 27 weeks ago

I'm with most everyone here, how do you mistake a hunter in camo for a all black head bobbing bird? What kind of camo was the guy that got shot wearing because I want to make sure I don't own any!!

from Scott Kittinger wrote 4 years 27 weeks ago

Friends, I live in White County which is the county just south of Wayne County where this happened. When I heard of this incident, it was difficult to get my head around the circumstances. This is truly a tragic story. I hope and pray this never happens to anyone near you. They were best friends, and neither of them will ever hunt again. The young boy was hospitalized because he was unable to handle his mistake. It was his first hunt and his last. Just think about that for a second...Yet I will make no excuses...this was just a tragedy. The families of both young men are in our prayers and thoughts now.

from scotty30 wrote 4 years 27 weeks ago

well im the step father of the 16 year old and 1st of all you have no clue what you are talking about the story is screwed up for one cause he did not shoot the guy in the back he shot him in the side cause he was sit down facing towards the road he thought it was a turkey he shot he made a mistake we all make mistakes every day and you dont see me judging you for a mistake you made while hunting and people it happens to everyone of us and second of all the only reason he went to the hospital was the ambulance driver made him go to get his vitals checked out because he was shook up so bad i wish you guys would just shut the hell up cause you have no clue what you are talking about it.the think half of you on here just like to wirte before you know the facts and one ore thing you guys are the most rudest fucking people i have ever heard in my life so before you write again make sure you KNOW THE FACTS before running your mouth

-6 Good Comment? | | Report
from JeremiahLoughner wrote 4 years 27 weeks ago

Identifying your target is one of the best things to do. As for this case where Aaron was sitting, the time of day and the size of Aaron it was very easy to get him and a turkey confused, since turkey are just starting their roost for the day. It is a very tragic accident but some of you pple on here are just cold hearted w/your opinions of the 16 year old. Plus the media got the way he was shot wrong as well, he was not shot in the back but in the side at a 45 degree angle. These 2 hunter's where part of my hunting group, and it was my first year hunting as well and I'm 28, and have grown up around hunting all my life. My first hunting experience should have been a great one to remember, but instead it is a bad 1st time hunting experience memory, even though I got my first deer. Now both families are going through a hard time dealing w/this incident right now, but you pple and your rude comments on the situation are not making it any easier on them, and if you think they won't see them well you better guess again cause the families have seen the rude and heartless comments on here and other sites. Instead of making these comments, maybe you should think about saying things such as Both Families will be in my prayers or thought's or something half way comforting.

from Koldkut wrote 4 years 27 weeks ago

Scotty30, maybe you should explain the facts a little better, the difference between where he was shot at makes no difference. If the story is so wrong, why aren't you making them correct it. The boy mis-identified his target, true or false?

from Elmer Fudd wrote 4 years 27 weeks ago

anybody else notice how many times it is turkey hunters that are getting shot these days?

preaching to the choir, I know, but BESIDES "identify your target" here are some safety recommendations I have heard:

*stalking, literally, is a bad idea for turkeys. Good chance this was involved here. I am betting it was involved in the Vermont incident. As a WTF spokesman told a group, the odds of successfully stalking into range of the wary Turkey is very slim, but it does very much endanger you and other hunters when you hear a turkey [or another hunter?] calling and try to sneak up on it. [it is certainly OK to change position on a turkey but that is not "stalking"]

*a turkey is a tough bird and you want to be very picky where you shoot it or you are just going to wound it. This "pickiness" also goes a long way towards safe shooting.

*if calling, it's a good idea to hang some hunter orange about [but you don't want to wear it].

*Do not wear or flash anything white or red!

from buckhunter wrote 4 years 27 weeks ago

I have no doubt that everyone on this site agrees the accident was a tragedy and has the families of both men in their prayers. Even as fellow hunters it's hard to understand the emotions you must be going through.

BUT...

On this blog site we discuss not just the families but all the details surrounding the events. What you feel is rude is simply our arms length thoughts of the situation.

As with most tragic events there may be a lesson learned or an example that may be used to pass future laws. Concerning the current legislation around the country concerning hunting ages I am a huge proponent of allowing little young kids hunt as early as possible or as early as the parent deems fit.
The reason for this arguement it that I do not think you should hand a 16 yr old a weapon and let him loose in the woods just because he is 16 and was able to pass the hunters education class. Hunters need to be slowly weaned and are more likely to make safety habitual if they grew up hunting rather than hit the woods later in life with no supervision.

from Elmer Fudd wrote 4 years 27 weeks ago

>I'll defend the other side

I would feel comfortable hunting with you! but I think you might wonder about some of the other folks who just don't seem to think something could look like something else unless you need glasses and arent wearing them or whatever!

from steve182 wrote 4 years 27 weeks ago

To the family and friends of the shooter and victim who posted above, We are very sorry for your loss and for what you perceive as rudeness by those on this sight. Our distance from the situation certainly makes us look at it differently than yourselves. Our intolerance of 'mistakes' should be shared by every hunter afield as at any time any of us could take a life while hunting. It is a huge responsibility. By disecting the event and discussing it we hope to learn and help others learn what went wrong and how it can be avoided in the future. I mean no disrespect or animosity to those involved. I was a young hunter once. My eyes have played tricks on me in the woods. That is why we should be 100% sure of our target, and then still second guess to be sure we know what we're shooting at, and what is beyond our target. The stakes are too high. We hear of this sort of thing more and more lately and that may lead to the harshness of some of our posts. It is very sad for all involved and you have my sympathy, and i'm sure the sympathy of everyone who read this, whether we were harsh in judgement or not.

from Sharkfin wrote 4 years 27 weeks ago

Scotty30, I truly hate that this happened and yes, I've made mistakes while hunting. I've shot six point bucks that I thought were 8 pointers. I've shot spikes that I thought were does.......but I've never shot a person. Years ago when I first started deer hunting I shot deer that I would rather have let walk and today that never happens. But my mistakes were still on deer. It does not matter where he shot him. It only matters THAT he shot him. This mistake has no defense, there is no excuse for it and it can not be tolerated. I hate that this happened to your family and to the family of the young man that was shot and you might think such statements are rude. I personally don't care!! If you take offense to any hunter coming down hard on someone that shot another person after mistaking them for an animal you have more to worry about than people being rude! This is not a rifle shot passing through an animal and traveling hundreds of yards. This is a 20-40 yard bow shot!! Inexcusable!!

from bluecollarkid wrote 4 years 27 weeks ago

86Ram Said:

"We have all fallen victim to pressure and gotta bring home somethin I'm sure.. however it is our ultimate responsibility to show self control, positively identify our target and use our best judgement and experience."

The key phrase of the argument is: "use our best judgment and experience." The kid was 16, this was his first hunt. Not much experience huh. So probably didn't have very good judgment. While the kid misjudged his target, the real fault lies with whoever taught the kid how to hunt before sending him out into the woods with a weapon and an itch to kill. Let's face it, if any of you can remember your first time hunting, it was a pretty exciting time with a lot of adrenaline and anxiety. I believe that its quite easy for a 16 yr old to make this mistake; afterall, look how they behave with cars when girls/alcohol/rivalry/machismo are involved. Am I saying all this excuses his mistake? Definitely not but I am saying that there are mitigating factors here that, in our rush to judgment, some who are more experienced seem to overlook.

Until the day I die I will never understand the self-righteous, arrogant, holier-than-thou attitude portrayed by the hunting and shooting community. Why, when these incidents happen, do we feel the need en masse to run out and condemn someone (who is most likely already feeling and thinking the same things many of the posters here feel) for making a mistake? Its not as if the people who are involved in these sorts of incidents are on the news saying, "So what?" or expressing some other disregard for the situation. Christ, don't ever give the appearance of being insincere in the Church of the Gun; otherwise, you will be burned at the stake as a heretic forthwith.

-1 Good Comment? | | Report
from buckhunter wrote 4 years 27 weeks ago

I'm sorry but after thinking about this for sometime I think this needs to be said. Why is this kids stepfather googling sites trying to defend this kids actions?

It's gonna be a long recovery for this kid if he thinks anything he did is defendable.

from buckhunter wrote 4 years 27 weeks ago

bluecollarkid,
If you've every been shot at by a careless hunter then you might understand our holier than thou attitude. I have no sympathy or kind words to say about anyone who goes into the woods and puts my life in danger.

from Sharkfin wrote 4 years 27 weeks ago

BECAUSE HE KILLED SOMEBODY!!! We've got people running around screaming at people for throwing a plastic bottle in the regular trash can, throwing blood on people for wearing fur, chastising me for driving a gas burner but don't say anything to the guy that shot and killed his buddy with an arrow because he thought he was a turkey. BS!!! This is a BIG, BIG, BIG DEAL!!! How dare we not condemn this!! Yes, fault lies in different places but sweeping this under the rug does no one any good! I've got a list of rules for my hunting club posted in our sign in box, where everybody put a pin marking where they will be hunting. In bold large red letters at the top and bottom of the rules is DO NOT POINT YOUR WEAPON AT ANYTHING UNLESS YOU ARE 100% CERTAIN OF WHAT IT IS!!!. If anything I've written in this post makes one hunter think twice before pointing his weapon at something he's not sure about I don't care if it makes the guy that made this mistake and his family cry for the next year! Compared to a person's life I don't give a crap about anyone's feelings!!! Like I stated above, I've killed deer that I didn't really mean to but I was 100% certain about one thing. IT WAS A DEER, NOT A PERSON!!!

from WVOtter wrote 4 years 27 weeks ago

Since he was with several friends of likely the same age, I wonder if this was a case of some buddies taking up hunting w/o really having been raised to hunt correctly? I understand hen vs. tom or legal 3" spikes vs. buttons; and I appreciate that a guy dressed in dark clothing resting on a log with his back turned may warrent a second look. But the fact remains you should always find that distinguishing characteristic that makes your target "game". SEE the head, the legs, the tail, note it as 100% real, then shoot. I can only imagine how many stumps have been shot as bears but never get reported because it was a black mass.

from WVOtter wrote 4 years 27 weeks ago

You're right Shark, we should be as or more hard on people who don't ID their target as anyone. I'm not saying lock him up and throw away the key. But we as hunters are put in jeopardy by this...our sons and daughters, even our dogs, are put in danger when other hunters don't triple check their target. Not to mention that I guarentee there are murmurs in that area and others about the need for new, strict hunting policies or bans because of this event and others like it. Each time this happens, it has the potential to be one step closer to seasons closing down.

from bluecollarkid wrote 4 years 27 weeks ago

Buckhunter,

I wasn't asking for anyone to sympathize with the kid; I was only asking for a little perspective. I completely understand and agree with the safety argument but I don't see the need for the torches and pitchforks that ardently rise on this site every time something bad happens.

One reason I see for this occurrence is the libtards who want to ban guns and hunting have us running scared and the powers-that-be in the shooting community have developed this "cult of safety" (to show our "worthiness" to keep the hunting/shooting tradition) whereby every person that makes a mistake, no matter the degree, deserves excommunication from our church/religion. So whenever someone does something bad, we see a rush of hunters and shooters running to condemn in a effort to prove that we are not careless murderers of innocent wildlife and people that cannot be trusted with firearms or hunting.

We can still be safe hunters and have fun at the same time. We don't need all the preaching - frankly, I can do without because its always the same sermon (take note of the comments above). I have been shooting for over 20 years and hunting for nearly as many and in all that time I've always enjoyed myself except when hunting or shooting with safety zealots because in their zeal to make everything safe, they take all the fun out of it. Interestingly, in all that time without the safety police and the condemnation of the hunting/shooting community I've never had an "accident." Jesus, without the constant reminders, I don't know how I ever survived. Here's a hint, instead of preaching safety constantly - maybe preach personal responsibility - he made a mistake, now he has to live with it. Enough said.

from seadog wrote 4 years 27 weeks ago

To Elmer Fudd--agreed, we're on the same page. Did you see Clay Cooper's question about stump deer?

from bluecollarkid wrote 4 years 27 weeks ago

Oh I forgot to add...

Everyone takes risks when shooting or hunting including those uber-safe hunters that never-ever make a mistake. Part of this risk is getting "shot at by a careless hunter." Part of minimizing this risk (other than preaching proper safety) is being aware of your surroundings at all times. You know, they teach the same principles to people who have to survive on the mean streets of crime-ridden metropolitan areas but hunters and shooters think they can forget that principle when they walk into the woods and shuck that bit of personal responsibility. In fact, I think all these lectures about safety should be forwarded to the gangbangers in the city - maybe they will stop shooting little kids or other bystanders. I can hear it now, "Now listen here Little-G, when you go out tonight to pop some rival gang members don't spray and pray. Make sure he or she is wearing the correct colors before you shoot; and remember, one shot one kill. ALWAYS IDENTIFY YOUR TARGET BEFORE SHOOTING!!!!" Do you really think its gonna make a difference - all this lecturing? No! That's why you have to watch your own ass when your out in the woods as well as everyone else's.

Now, go back and remind your kids of safe shooting practices and take care of your own; stop worrying about this kid.

What a bunch of hen-pecking busy-bodies.

-4 Good Comment? | | Report
from Sharkfin wrote 4 years 27 weeks ago

Bluecollarkid I don't think you get it slick!! Nobody ever said you'd better not be having any fun while you're out hunting and I for one don't preach safety to show my worthiness to keep the hunting/shooting tradition. I do it because it is my responsibility as a hunter/shooter!! I must have missed all the torches and pitch forks in all the posts so far. Did this guy make a huge mistake, YES. Should we do everything in our power to try to make sure this never happens again, YES. You've never had an accident, great, me neither. Please don't take what I've posted earlier to mean that I accidentally shot deer. I meant to shoot every time. I just didn't really want to shoot a spike or a six point. I meant to pull the trigger and I meant to kill the deer I was aiming at. The only thing I hurt was my own management goals. This is a big deal and part of our personal responsibility is to make sure all other hunters and future hunters know it is a big deal in an effort to make sure they don't make this mistake. From the looks of it most of the others that have posted hear feel very similar. Gun and hunter safety has been around and "preached" since long before there was any gun control laws or grabbers. It was no less important in 1709 a than it is in 2009. How can you talk about personal responsibility without talking about safety?

from squirrelgirl wrote 4 years 27 weeks ago

Who gave that kid a gun?? A sixteen year old should not have a gun if he hasn't gone through a thorough hunter safety course. Here in Cali you have to complete the course to get your license.

from bluecollarkid wrote 4 years 27 weeks ago

Sharkfin,

I wasn't really aiming at you, more at Buckhunter. For the record, I never said we shouldn't preach safety just that I don't understand nor like the self-righteous attitude that seems prevalent in the shooting/hunting community. As for what's been posted so far, the tenor of the posts, for the most part, has been to point fingers at this boy and condemn him as some sort of criminal. I don't see that as necessary or proper; especially since we are third parties.

For instance, if you look at this objectively, especially on the facts we have you might ask: Was the victim wearing any sort of orange? Why didn't he notice his buddy coming up on him? What instruction, if any, was given to the 16 yr old before he was given a bow and told to go kill something? Did the boy, in the heat of the moment, think he was positive about what he was seeing and shoot or did he just raise his bow and fire without a second thought? What were the light conditions like? Have any of these questions been answered? Does anyone other than the father and companion know the answer to any of these questions for a fact? If not, then we should probably withhold judgment until said facts are out; but wait, you say a novice hunter did this? Oh, well then lets just dump on him because we know better and would never do such things ourselves. Right? (As Clay said, how many of you have seen "stump deer"?)

And sharkfin, while I completely agree that it is our responsibility as hunters/shooters to TEACH safety to others, it is not our job to beat safety into people we haven't met and after an incident (i.e. How many people repeated the same principle over and over above?). How about a little effin compassion for the kid (he is 16 afterall) who is probably feeling a lot worse about this - but go ahead folks, just pour it on if it makes you feel better. I guess the old saying is true, with friends like [the hunting/shooting community], who needs enemies?

from Elmer Fudd wrote 4 years 27 weeks ago

>As for what's been posted so far,
>the tenor of the posts, for the most
>part, has been to point fingers at
>this boy and condemn him as some sort of
> criminal.

it's called manslaughter, or 3rd degree murder. He is young so the court will do some sort of lenience.

from 86Ram wrote 4 years 27 weeks ago

As a hunter who has been doing so since I was 16 I have experience there high speed and my DAD was with me mentoring me.
I've had close calls and made mistakes.
I've had hunters walk up on me in the woods including last yr. One hunter though I vocally identified myself still acted as if he didn't hear me and continued to walk in front of my blind and a loaded 12ga that could've been a bad day had I not used self control and what I was taught by my dad and others. I made every attempt to alert him (yelling) included he ignored me. I'd hate to think what might've happened if it was him in my shoes or had he shot in my direction.

None the less your situation is obviously worse than mine But your stepson is far more worse off. He has to live with killing his friend for the rest of his life.
You tell us we don't know what we're talking about. I mentioned before we have all made mistakes and we all have our own stories to and experiences. Where were you? Why were you not mentoring him? I will not blame him for lack of experiece. I will say that he should've been mentored by an adult!

I will say that this is unfortunate and none of this will change what a 10 second split decision and release of an arrow did.

from Elmer Fudd wrote 4 years 27 weeks ago

seadog, I did see that stump thing. I have to admit I have both studied some long and hard [never shot]... but also have had it happen that I concluded it was a stump and watched it take off once I moved.

from steve182 wrote 4 years 27 weeks ago

squirrelgirl, he had a bow not a gun, but both are deadly. In order to get a license he must pass a test, but the courses are given online anymore, which is odd because we don't hunt online.

from Derek3 wrote 4 years 27 weeks ago

you should really look at the thing you are shooting, before you shoot it

from turk wrote 4 years 27 weeks ago

My heart and prayers go out to his family.
This situation is just almost unbeleavable i dont understand how you could possibly shoot somebody with a bow by mistake i mean come on,you hear of people being shot every year because they mistake them for a deer or some other wild game animal with a GUN not a BOW there is no excuse for either one,i do not care this situation should never happen.It makes me wonder if iam even safe going in the woods knowing theres some nut out there that cant even pic out and reconize a target at close range this kind of stupidity is just uncalled for!!!

from jtboles wrote 4 years 27 weeks ago

Some people's stupidity is awe inspiring, how could you confuse a human with a bird. Someone should of taught him to look before shooting and identify what it was he is shooting at.

from rambo-yambo wrote 4 years 27 weeks ago

I feel sorry for the kid who shot his buddy. But making a mistake like that is no excuse, especially turkey hunting with a bow. I don’t mean to be harsh on the kid who made such a terrible mistake but on any hunters who don’t identify the target before shooting. If you can’t identify the vital, you should not shoot. If you are not confident that you can hit the vital at a distance, you should not shoot. Injuring but not killing an animal is cruel. I don’t see how you can identify the vital and accidental shoot a human by mistake. Accident like that gives hunter a bad name. Please be safe and identify your target before you shoot.

from Buglmin wrote 4 years 27 weeks ago

Young or old, it doesn't matter. Here in New Mexico about 3 years ago we had an older bowhunter shoot someone at less than 10 yards during elk season. Luckily the person that got shot survived. The shooter was just shooting into the bushes at something he heard. Know and identify what your shooting.

from rabbitpolice88 wrote 4 years 27 weeks ago

It really is quite simple, if you don't KNOW what you are shooting at YOU DON'T SHOOT. If you don't have a clear shot at an animal YOU DON'T SHOOT. If you are not sure where your bullet is going to go after it leaves the animal, YOU DON'T SHOOT. This accident was very uneccisary and tragic. A young hunter needs to have it drilled into his head that you don't shoot unless you know what you are shooting at. Granted I am only 21 but the consequences of just one mistake can and in this case has taken a person's life. If you don't think your kid has enough self control or maturity than don't let them hunt alone until you as the parent are confident your child will use their head when out in the woods. There is NO excuse for the kid shooting another hunter with a bow and mistaking him for a turkey. The kid was not thinking, did not ID his target and shot without thinking.

from rabbitpolice88 wrote 4 years 27 weeks ago

when I was 16, myself and a friend were shooting our deer rifles at a coffee can at 200 yards. We didn't make sure there was a rise of dirt behind the can. We started shooting and after about 12 shots or so This guy came from down the road yelling at us that some bullets were landing in his yard. about 600 yards away. As a result we both got in trouble with our parents and I was not able to hunt or shoot any guns for a year. This incident brought home to me the seriousness of being absolutely sure of where you bullets are going to end up. It was a hard lesson for me to learn but I learned it and now I never shoot at anything without there being a large dirt hill behind my target. I am glad my dad nipped my carelessness in the bud, it has made me a safer outdoorsman and much more responsible.

from matchu2012 wrote 4 years 27 weeks ago

wouldn't the light between his legs as walked and his arms swinging and the bow in his hands give him away.

Not sure about you but i've never seen a bow weilding turkey.

MAKE SURE OF YOUR TARGET BEFORE YOU EVEN CONSIDER DRAWING BACK.

from matchu2012 wrote 4 years 27 weeks ago

Not sure about you but i've never seen a bow weilding turkey.

MAKE SURE OF YOUR TARGET BEFORE YOU EVEN CONSIDER DRAWING BACK.

from DougU wrote 4 years 27 weeks ago

I have come away from reading this with 3 truths re-affirmed:
1.) People will make mistakes and misjudgements; its part of being human. Not saying its good or bad, but it is true.
2.) Other people (especially around here) will be harsh, vindictive, and judgemental. Again, not saying it good or bad, just true!
3.) Some folks are in such a hurry to do this that they can't even remember what they read in the first place

from DougU wrote 4 years 27 weeks ago

Oooopps....let me make that 4 thruths:
4.) Most people don't even check the stories/info the react too for accuracy before they grace us all with their take of the situation.

let the flaming begin....

from rabbitpolice88 wrote 4 years 27 weeks ago

DougU,
you seem to be defending this young mans actions, am I correct in assuming this?

from cydinthegreat wrote 4 years 26 weeks ago

Aaron was my little brother it is tragic what happened to him but to crush any idea's this was a pure accident. Aaron had gotten out of his stand early and was walking out of the woods, he stopped on a ridge to take a break and sat down. there was foliage at his back, Aaron was not wearing any orange. the boy that shot him, says he just seen something moving and shot, it was at about 6:45p.m. so it was getting dark and the boy didnt have much hunting experience he did not identify his target and as a result he shot my little brother in the back it pierced his artery and he died within about 30 seconds may you rest in peace Aaron. and to the world maybe this tragedy will open everyones eyes to the danger of firing blindly into the brush.

from steve182 wrote 4 years 26 weeks ago

Cydinthegreat,
Very sorry about your little brother. You make an excellent point about not firing on unidentified targets. It is very sad that things like this happen to good people. Hopefully others will learn from this.

from Michael Hartman wrote 4 years 25 weeks ago

Thats why they have hunting and safty classes and alway make sure of what you are shooting at and when walking up on some one say some thing. Sorry to hear about the tragedy.

from JasmineTC wrote 4 years 15 weeks ago

That's one sadistic wildlife serial killer in hell with Lucifer and not causing anymore pain and suffering to innocent sentient life.

I hope the killers felt every ounce of pain and suffering he inflicted on the animals. KARMA!

from budman wrote 4 years 15 weeks ago

Killing animals is not a sin. even the church has more common sense than Jasmine. However regardless of circumstance, this situation was preventable, and should be pretty upsetting to responsible hunters and parents trying to teach their children responsible hunting skills.

from JasmineTC wrote 4 years 15 weeks ago

Of course its a sin did you forget thou shalt not kill and especially you all kill animals for fun, sports and trophy which is the most vilest thing human are capable of.

from budman wrote 4 years 15 weeks ago

actually the Lord commanded Peter to "kill and eat" the reference you "quote" refers to man. unfortunately for you to view animals and humans in the same plane in any discussion would be a mortal sin... sorry.

from JasmineTC wrote 4 years 15 weeks ago

You mean man "commanded" it not the Lord. I guess that "command" must be one of the 101 contradiction in the bible for God says "thou shalt not kill" then peter says "God" commanded "kill and eat" well that's makes a lot of sense.

In case you did not know this the bible has been tampered with by man.

for 400 years after Jesus, ALL christians were vegetarian.

But the Romans wanted to continue there traditional religion of eating meat, drinking alcohol etc

So they falsified Jesus teachings, set up the Vatican, made a random demon the successor to Jesus, called him a "Pope", killed vegetarian christians.

Destroyed most true scripture. This Gospel here was found hidden though. As many other scriptures have been found now, hidden away from smart disciples because Jesus warned this would happen

"Some are not aware that, after the Council of Nicea, the manuscripts of the New Testament were considerably tampered with. Certain scholars called "Correctores" were appointed by the ecclesiastical authorities, and were actually commissioned to correct the text of the scripture in the interest of what was considered orthodox."

Archdeacon Wilderforce

"What these correctores did was to cut out of the Gospels, with minute care, certain teachings of our Lord which they did not propose to follow - namely, those against the eating of flesh and the taking of strong drink."

Rev. Gideon Jasper Richard Ousley

"A Meat Eating Interpretation of the bible became the official creed of the Roman Empire, and vegetarian Christians had to practice in secret or risk being put to death for heresy. It is said Constantine used to pour molten lead down their throats if vegetarian Christians were captured."

Archdeacon Wilderforce

"After my departure there will arise the ignorant and the crafty, and many things will they ascribe unto Me that I never spake, and many things which I did speak will they withhold, but the day will come when the clouds shall be rolled away, and the Sun of Righteousness shall shine forth with healing in his wings" ~Jesus, The Essene Gospel of Peace

I notice that sports wildlife serial killers do not quote the beatitude part of the bible because they know it does not fit into their killing for fun lifestyle.

Beatitudes

Blessed are the gentle, for they shall inherit the earth.
Blessed are the merciful, for they shall receive mercy.
Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God.

Did Jesus approved of hunting?

(The Roman Catholic church also sought to suppress translations of the Dead Sea Scrolls which showed aspects of the Essene teachings at Qumran, many of which Jesus taught, that the church didn't want published, because it contradicted official church teachings.
The Essene Gospel of Peace, also called the Gospel of Peace of Jesus Christ, was written earlier than any book in the New Testament.)

Fruits / Grains / Grasses / Milk / Honey

"So eat always from the table of God: the fruits of the trees, the grains and grasses of the field, the milk of the beasts, and the honey of the bees. For everything beyond these is of Satan."

"And whatsoever ye do unto the Cast of these my children, ye do it unto me. For I am in them and they are in me, Yea, I am in all creatures and all creatures are in me. In all their joys I rejoice, in all their afflictions I am afflicted. Wherefore I say unto you: Be ye kind one to another, and to all the creatures of God."

"God giveth the grains and the fruits of the earth for food: and for righteous man truly there is no other lawful sustenance for the body."

Jesus Gospel of the Holy Twelve; Lection 38

There are 101 contradiction in the bible

Rape, slavery, genocide, animals and human sacrifice and murder of men all condoned some even commanded by "God". Killing is not approved by God those were put there by the meat eating , animal killing Romans who even enjoyed killing each other.

Jesus often spoke of mercy and you seriously think hunting has ANYTHING to do with mercy?

from Koldkut wrote 4 years 27 weeks ago

from Sharkfin wrote 4 years 27 weeks ago

from Sharkfin wrote 4 years 27 weeks ago

from buckhunter wrote 4 years 27 weeks ago

from buckhunter wrote 4 years 27 weeks ago

bluecollarkid,

from jjas wrote 4 years 28 weeks ago

How can you not tell the difference between a turkey and a person @ bow range?

Identify your target......

from ricefarm wrote 4 years 27 weeks ago

from Scott Kittinger wrote 4 years 27 weeks ago

from buckhunter wrote 4 years 27 weeks ago

BUT...

from steve182 wrote 4 years 27 weeks ago

from steve182 wrote 4 years 28 weeks ago

from rabbitpolice88 wrote 4 years 28 weeks ago

from Elmer Fudd wrote 4 years 28 weeks ago

"Identify your target" BECAUSE "your eyes can play tricks."

from idahooutdoors wrote 4 years 27 weeks ago

from 86Ram wrote 4 years 27 weeks ago

16 yrs old and he has a lifetime of a burden to bear for his actions.

from Elmer Fudd wrote 4 years 27 weeks ago

*Do not wear or flash anything white or red!

from WVOtter wrote 4 years 27 weeks ago

from rabbitpolice88 wrote 4 years 27 weeks ago

from Clay Cooper wrote 4 years 28 weeks ago

from Derrit wrote 4 years 28 weeks ago

from seadog wrote 4 years 27 weeks ago

To Elmer Fudd,

from Jeff Bowers wrote 4 years 27 weeks ago

from 86Ram wrote 4 years 27 weeks ago

What a tragedy. Such a young man too. My heart goes out to the families.
Ever heard of Situational Awareness?
Shooting at an unidentified target Is it worth it?

from Clay Cooper wrote 4 years 27 weeks ago

Let’s see?

Turkey..... Human?

Human......Turkey?

How you figure?

FOOD FOR THAUGHT

The adrenaline rush overcomes thought and reason!

How many of you ever spotted Stump Deer?

from JTC wrote 4 years 27 weeks ago

from buckhunter wrote 4 years 27 weeks ago

Food for thought: How long will it be before someone sues the camouflage maker?

from 86Ram wrote 4 years 27 weeks ago

from Walt Smith wrote 4 years 27 weeks ago

from Elmer Fudd wrote 4 years 27 weeks ago

>I'll defend the other side

from WVOtter wrote 4 years 27 weeks ago

from Sharkfin wrote 4 years 27 weeks ago

from 86Ram wrote 4 years 27 weeks ago

I've had close calls and made mistakes.

from Elmer Fudd wrote 4 years 27 weeks ago

>this boy and condemn him as some sort of
> criminal.

from steve182 wrote 4 years 27 weeks ago

from Derek3 wrote 4 years 27 weeks ago

you should really look at the thing you are shooting, before you shoot it

from turk wrote 4 years 27 weeks ago

My heart and prayers go out to his family.

from jtboles wrote 4 years 27 weeks ago

from rambo-yambo wrote 4 years 27 weeks ago

from rabbitpolice88 wrote 4 years 27 weeks ago

from matchu2012 wrote 4 years 27 weeks ago

Not sure about you but i've never seen a bow weilding turkey.

MAKE SURE OF YOUR TARGET BEFORE YOU EVEN CONSIDER DRAWING BACK.

from matchu2012 wrote 4 years 27 weeks ago

Not sure about you but i've never seen a bow weilding turkey.

MAKE SURE OF YOUR TARGET BEFORE YOU EVEN CONSIDER DRAWING BACK.

from DougU wrote 4 years 27 weeks ago

I have come away from reading this with 3 truths re-affirmed:

from DougU wrote 4 years 27 weeks ago

Oooopps....let me make that 4 thruths:

let the flaming begin....

from rabbitpolice88 wrote 4 years 27 weeks ago

from cydinthegreat wrote 4 years 26 weeks ago

from JasmineTC wrote 4 years 15 weeks ago

from budman wrote 4 years 15 weeks ago

from JasmineTC wrote 4 years 15 weeks ago

from budman wrote 4 years 15 weeks ago

from JasmineTC wrote 4 years 15 weeks ago

In case you did not know this the bible has been tampered with by man.

for 400 years after Jesus, ALL christians were vegetarian.

Archdeacon Wilderforce

Rev. Gideon Jasper Richard Ousley

Archdeacon Wilderforce

Beatitudes

Blessed are the gentle, for they shall inherit the earth.
Blessed are the merciful, for they shall receive mercy.
Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God.

Did Jesus approved of hunting?

Fruits / Grains / Grasses / Milk / Honey

Jesus Gospel of the Holy Twelve; Lection 38

There are 101 contradiction in the bible

from bluecollarkid wrote 4 years 27 weeks ago

86Ram Said:

-1 Good Comment? | | Report
from bluecollarkid wrote 4 years 27 weeks ago

Oh I forgot to add...

What a bunch of hen-pecking busy-bodies.

-4 Good Comment? | | Report