Discussion Topic: Huey Lewis Baits Ducks To Thwart Hunters

Field Notes

November 30, 2009

Discussion Topic: Huey Lewis Baits Ducks To Thwart Hunters

By Dave Hurteau

From the Great Falls Tribune:
Rock musician Huey Lewis and several of his Stevensville-area neighbors are feeding ducks along a slough that runs through their property, effectively closing the area to duck hunting.

It’s the latest twist in the story of [Mitchell] slough, which the Montana Supreme Court has ruled a public waterway, subjecting it to the state’s stream access laws. . . .
“I’m feeding ducks all over my place. . .,” Lewis said. “The reason is the Supreme Court decision has changed everything here, and now we have public access. And most of us believe the Mitchell is unsuitable for duck hunting. . . .”

It is legal to feed game birds and waterfowl, but it is not legal to hunt in an area where such birds are baited.

Fish, Wildlife and Parks warden captain Jeff Darrah said the agency was aware of Lewis’ feeders.

“Federal law says you can’t hunt a field that’s been baited,” Darrah said. “That’s his way of saying you can’t hunt here.”

Check out the full story and tell us your reaction.

from Koldkut wrote 4 years 19 weeks ago

Just as good as the anti's drawing big game tags that they won't hunt....

from jjas wrote 4 years 19 weeks ago

Feeding ducks in concentrated areas to keep them from hunters may sound like a good idea...until the ducks start crapping in the same concentrated areas.

I hope Huey and his neighbors enjoy cleaning up duck $hit!

from HogBlog wrote 4 years 19 weeks ago

I hate to see this kind of thing, because there's not really a lot of legal options available to the average hunter. It's a case of rich folks locking the public out of public lands by using the law in a fairly underhanded way.

They're doing the same thing in the salt marshes back in my duck hunting grounds in coastal NC. It's a filthy trick, but it's effective.

from 60256 wrote 4 years 19 weeks ago

I agree with HogBlog. As long as nobody hunts, no laws are broken. It's just a loophole. It should be cleaned up somehow.

Nate

from Sb Wacker wrote 4 years 19 weeks ago

"And most of us believe the Mitchell is unsuitable for duck hunting. . . ."

Come on huey, tell us more
Unsuitable how and for whom?
'Most of us' Who specifically apart from your good self is that? and by what right (apart from having more money) do you and 'Most of us' have the authority to dictate what the 'the rest of us' eat?

Let us know
SBW

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 4 years 19 weeks ago

While I don't agree with his actions, it IS his property...

from RichardF wrote 4 years 19 weeks ago

They need to inform Huey of the problems associated with feeding wild animals. When they become dependant of it will they he to dump the money into keeping them alive?

from steve182 wrote 4 years 19 weeks ago

Too bad his music sucks,...or i'd boycott it. What a j/off

from idahooutdoors wrote 4 years 19 weeks ago

It sucks when these idiots use the laws in ways they were never intended to stop hunters....these people and groups will do anything to force others to conform to their ideals and twisted beliefs....big money buying up land and shutting down access to public waterways is a problem, and one we must always battle, unless we want the outdoor pursuits to become just for the uber rich, like in Europe....land owners have rights, but the public has rights to the public wildlife and fish as well...

from shane wrote 4 years 19 weeks ago

Instead of hunters killing ducks quickly, he's killing them slowly. Genius.

Hey Huey - your music is painfully corny.

from Walt Smith wrote 4 years 19 weeks ago

Just like Tigger Woods-- these rich axxholes think they can get away with anything because they have money. If I got in a wreck and told police it was a family matter they'd arrest me and throw away the key!!!The police and judges that let them get away with it need to be arrested for corruption, thats whats wrong with this country-- Justice is for Sale!!

from RJ Arena wrote 4 years 19 weeks ago

Lewis has problems sharing. He does not like the fact that hunters and fisherman have rights under the Montana Constitution, he has in the past tried to stop fishing access too. He is one of these people who move into a place and say " This is mine and no one I do not approve of can enter" He does not care about rights or tradition. I would say boycott his music, but is he done anything lately, and if so, is anyone buying/listening to it?

from JohnR wrote 4 years 19 weeks ago

This is a bad precedent and especially the publicity. This may give ideas to the animal rights whackos who otherwise wouldn't have thought of it themselves.
I don't hunt waterfowl anymore, but many of my friends do here in coastal NC. They mostly hunt from both open water and marsh blinds. All someone has to do is take $5.00 worth of corn and spread it around the duckblind and that blind is toast. One will not be able to completely remove the corn. One can only hope that the ducks eat it up and get rid of it because I guarantee that the federal Fish & Wildlife wardens will check you and the area around the blind with that little drag can of theirs. If they find even one kernal of corn, it's a ticket (in federal court).
Of course don't expect the feds to try and catch those who would do that even though legally it is a crime (interfering with a lawful hunt).
Unfortunately a few of the rich and famous are gobbling up prime wilderness areas and turning them into their private preserves. I'm sure we will see more of this in the future.

from Jeff Bowers wrote 4 years 19 weeks ago

It doesn't feel right in my book, but I can't be mad at them.

There are people who use the "public access" law to trash up people's property. I feel that if the water is on a person's land, that person has more right than anybody else to say what goes on.

My point is... If you owned land and didn't want people trudging around on it firing shotguns, you can say so. You can fence them out, post signs, or call the police. You want to have a say about your own land, don't you?

But put some water in the middle of it, and people now have the right to sit in boats, even in the middle of your land, and shoot. How about wounded birds?

Whatever the story, I can't be mad about this one.

from Bella wrote 4 years 19 weeks ago

It Is his land, If he wants to feed ducks rather than eat ducks that is his decision. I don't know whether Huey hunts or anti hunts and I don't really care. Feeding ducks as opposed to shooting them for supper is certainly not evil or pernicious one way or another. It is a choice, It may limit opportunities for his hunting neighbors, but that is an issue for him to negotiate. Certainly if the poop hits the air impeller and he needs his neighbors co-operation he'll have a harder time getting it. But so many wealthy people seem to think that money fills in for social obligations, but it never works that way. Social capitol tops financial capitol any day of the week. Social graces can get you access to money but money cannot give you social graces. There are many who have died alone, rich as Croseus and very very lonely.

from Paul Wilke wrote 4 years 19 weeks ago

Not much that can be done legally.
So, fatten up those ducks Huey. And remember my rights when I have a boat party ( tail gate party) just offshore and have a duck barbecue with several friends.

from RJ Arena wrote 4 years 19 weeks ago

I don't think this is an issue of property rights rather that in Montana, "The People" own the waterways, which means if you were fishing in Montana you could fish the stream regardless of who owns the land on either side, as long as you do not trespass to access the stream. This is the law, but many new to the state landowners do not like that and try to block access, and harass the fishermen. Huey falls into this group. His actions are spiteful at least.

from JohnR wrote 4 years 19 weeks ago

There is also the caveat "Let the buyer beware"! If I were going to invest millions into a piece of property, I would certainly check into the status of any bodies of water that are on or flow through a piece of real estate I may be considering. I firmly believe that a man's home is his castle however the federal government has decided that access cannot be restricted to free navigable waterways. We have similar issues here on the coastal waterways where owners of large waterfront properties sometimes attempt to block access to estuarine creeks open to the sounds. There have been a couple of instances where a gate of sorts was installed across a couple of creeks, but the US Fish and Wildlife made the property owners leave them open.
I can empathize with someone having to put up with people sitting in a boat right off of their property, especially when the whole purpose of living there is for the purpose of peace and quiet. The law however is the law so either get the law changed or choose your property more carefully.

from JD wrote 4 years 19 weeks ago

Mr. Lewis probably has the ducks eating tofu and such by now. Hopefully the state DNR or whoever will check for excessive runoff of manure into the waterway from his land if he is so eager to feed them. Not sure who is more full of it!

That lawn full of ducks may be the big audience he always wanted! I prefer their sound to his any day. What some old celebs will do for attention! Hopefully he pays similar homage to the snakes and crickets and such.

Feeding ducks must be watched, old feed molds and becomes quite toxic to waterfowl, but I am sure he has such concerns well handled, after all what else has he to do nowdays?

from Jere Smith wrote 4 years 19 weeks ago

PUTZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

from Mike Diehl wrote 4 years 19 weeks ago

Seems like he did everything legally and he's a jerk anyhow. That's the nature of Law for you though. The letter of the law basically sets the limit to the lowest form of low-life behavior that you can get away with without getting hauled off to the big house.

from ScottyBee wrote 2 years 6 weeks ago

I wonder what the Duckmen over at DC would say about this? I bet Phil would be pissed if this happened down there where those boys live. DC = www.duckcommander.com btw :p

from jjas wrote 4 years 19 weeks ago

I hope Huey and his neighbors enjoy cleaning up duck $hit!

from idahooutdoors wrote 4 years 19 weeks ago

from Walt Smith wrote 4 years 19 weeks ago

from HogBlog wrote 4 years 19 weeks ago

from Sb Wacker wrote 4 years 19 weeks ago

"And most of us believe the Mitchell is unsuitable for duck hunting. . . ."

Come on huey, tell us more
Unsuitable how and for whom?

Let us know
SBW

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 4 years 19 weeks ago

While I don't agree with his actions, it IS his property...

from shane wrote 4 years 19 weeks ago

Instead of hunters killing ducks quickly, he's killing them slowly. Genius.

Hey Huey - your music is painfully corny.

from Bella wrote 4 years 19 weeks ago

from Paul Wilke wrote 4 years 19 weeks ago

Not much that can be done legally.

from Koldkut wrote 4 years 19 weeks ago

Just as good as the anti's drawing big game tags that they won't hunt....

from 60256 wrote 4 years 19 weeks ago

Nate

from RichardF wrote 4 years 19 weeks ago

from steve182 wrote 4 years 19 weeks ago

Too bad his music sucks,...or i'd boycott it. What a j/off

from RJ Arena wrote 4 years 19 weeks ago

from JohnR wrote 4 years 19 weeks ago

from RJ Arena wrote 4 years 19 weeks ago

from JohnR wrote 4 years 19 weeks ago

from Jeff Bowers wrote 4 years 19 weeks ago

It doesn't feel right in my book, but I can't be mad at them.

Whatever the story, I can't be mad about this one.

from JD wrote 4 years 19 weeks ago