Idaho Extends Wolf Season

Field Notes

November 24, 2009

Idaho Extends Wolf Season

By Dave Hurteau

From an Idaho Fish and Game press release:

The Idaho Fish and Game Commission on Thursday, November 19, extended wolf hunting seasons in all Idaho wolf zones not already closed to March 31.
Harvest limits and other restrictions were not changed. . . .

Hunters will need a 2010 wolf tag, in addition to a 2010 hunting license for hunts after December 31.

Idaho Department of Fish and Game set wolf harvest limits by 12 zones. The season closes in each zone when the limit for that zone is reached, or when the statewide limit of 220 wolves is reached.

As of Thursday, November 19, the statewide harvest was 110.

from kolbster wrote 4 years 20 weeks ago

half way done keep it up.

from SD_Whitetail_Hntr wrote 4 years 20 weeks ago

Oh Boy.. let the anti freak out begin..

from steve182 wrote 4 years 20 weeks ago

I predict idahooutdoors shoots another of those mangy mongrels.

from stormn wrote 4 years 20 weeks ago

I don't know steve idahooutdoors is a little leery of a wolf curse, but I would like to see pictures of it if he did.

from 60256 wrote 4 years 20 weeks ago

For those who haven't, there is a book by Nicholas Evans named "The Loop". It is a very good book wrapped around the theme of country people vs. the wolves. I recommend people who are into this debate.

Nate

from vork23 wrote 4 years 20 weeks ago

i really wish this would happen in minnesota

from MLH wrote 4 years 20 weeks ago

So ... when are they opening up the season to trappers?

from wurmie25 wrote 4 years 20 weeks ago

I would like that in northern wisconsin. i have seen anything in 4 days and the last two years we shot ten

from Walt Smith wrote 4 years 20 weeks ago

Michigan, Wisconsin, and Minnesota all need this season also!

from coho310 wrote 4 years 20 weeks ago

I saw this comin', the wolf season's a huge hit hear in Idaho.I've never been, how does wolf taste?

from Ontario Honker ... wrote 4 years 20 weeks ago

I hope Idaho, Montana, and Wyoming aren't going overboard on this. If the hunters cream the beejeezus out the wolves the first year the season is opened then there's liable to be a lot of justification for putting them back on the endangered list again. And it will be hard as hell to get them delisted again. I dunno, but 220 seems like quite a few. I have no interest in shooting wolves.

from jeffo52284 wrote 4 years 20 weeks ago

I like the idea of an extended season but i dont think over harvest will be a problem ontario. i heard that they have sold over 20000 tags and only 110 have been killed. people worry about wolves getting over harvested but what they don't realize that it is harder than hell to find one of the dirty buggers let alone get shot on it. they are smart and once they start getting shot at they disappear

from spiaailtli wrote 4 years 20 weeks ago

I don't think it is possible to over hunt them. I read a few books written by govenment hunters and trapers. Thy found that once the government relized they had a problem and put a bounty on them it did no good. The folks paid to hunt them down and kill them couldn't. They discovered the bitches started having as many as 12 pups per litter up from the normal 2 to 4 pups before the process started. They discovered they self regulated to keep their numbers high. The only way they could
re-establish big game and upland game in those areas was to poision the wolves and destroy dens. Hunting and trapping them only cause their numbers to increase.

from spiaailtli wrote 4 years 20 weeks ago

Sorry for the spelling errors. I thought there was a edit button. :)

from elkhunt79 wrote 4 years 20 weeks ago

Ontario honker this is just a drop in the bucket of the wolves in Idaho the unit i hunt closed for wolves on Nov. 16 my grandfather shot a deer on the 18th. it was right at dark so we decided to come back at first light when we found it the only thing left was the hind quarters. So i don't think we are hurting the population of wolves at all.

from elkhunt79 wrote 4 years 20 weeks ago

I believe the 18 wolves allowed in the dworshak unit was not enough. There are way to many wolves in that unit and the deer,elk and moose don't have a chance if we get a heavy snow pack again this year.

from Ontario Honker ... wrote 4 years 20 weeks ago

I taught school at St Maries in the mid-1980s and never even heard of wolves in that country then. Things sure have changed. Birds will do more damage to a carcass than anything I have encountered. Especially whiskey jacks and magpies, dirty SOBs! I have NEVER had any problems with wolves getting on my moose carcasses and they have been out and about in virtually every area where I shot one (except the little bull I shot in NW Montana in '76). With the exception of a calf that I removed on the spot, all moose and most elk I've shot had to wait at least overnight before I could return to remove them. Some precautions I take for grizz and wolves: pee in several spots around the carcass. That strong smell will hang in there long after you have left. Get the guts well away from the carcass. Let the birds work on those. Hang up some hunters orange garb right over the animal (I carry an extra el-cheapo orange vest in my daypack for just this purpose). That usually does the trick for keeping the birds away. Flagging doesn't seem to do the trick as well as garments. DO NOT TRY TO COVER THE CARCASS UP WITH BRUSH AND STUFF. That only provides the birds with a perch. And, if grizz or wolves are in the area, build at least one fire near the carcass (I'll usually build three). Don't have to be big bonfires, just something to get the smell in the air. That probably works the best. Ever tried to ride a horse through a campsite where some dork long ago left a fire ring next to the trail? Get ready for a rodeo. They want nothing to do with that!

from idahooutdoors wrote 4 years 20 weeks ago

I will be hunting them again with a fresh tag come the 1st of the year...hope to get my second, have seen 2 since I took mine....extending the season has more to do with trying to meet the management quotas than anything else...they want to use hunters to take a certain #, and we've been pretty successfully so far....I agree the Dworshack Elk City unit needed a higher # taken, lots of them there, and a lot of that country is near homes and towns, and a wintering area for the elk on the river faces where the wolves have the most adverse impact from what I've witnessed...

from Walt Smith wrote 4 years 20 weeks ago

Good luck idahooutdoors! I hope you get to punch the numbers in your second tag-- That would be sweet!!!

from dangerous game wrote 4 years 20 weeks ago

to Ontario honker: why the heck did you shoot a calf moose? did you know that's illegal? You have to give all creatures a chance to live.
to ss2: why do you have a profile on a hunting and fishing site if you think hunting is cruel?
anyways I love the idea of wolf hunting. they need to be controled just like couagars and bears. But I am a little angry about people being so insultive towards wolves. like calling them "mangy mutts" and wanting to wipe out the species. I think if you want to hunt something (besides rats) you have to have respect for it. wolfs are large powerful predators that could tear a cougar to shreds. I think going after something that is capable of destroying you should require a little respect. Once again, I have nothing against hunting wolfs and hope to do it someday.

from idduckhntr wrote 4 years 20 weeks ago

ss2 what do you think your forefathers ate salads? shut up and mind your own buisness.

from lukem wrote 4 years 19 weeks ago

i hunt occasionally in northern wisconsin and throughout bow season, scouting and gun season i have officially seen more wolves than deer. (1-0)

from Toby Bridges wrote 4 years 19 weeks ago

Every once in a while, I see several posters on a Field & Stream wolf hunt blog who apparently work for the likes of Defenders of Wildlife, the Humane Society of the United States, Center for Biological Divesity, or other very anti-hunting organizations. Or at least they tend to support their idiotic "let nature replace hunters' role in big game management" way of thinking. A couple in particular like to spout off all their connections with the educated scientific guys and gals, who put more faith in "wolf science" than what many of us see by actually getting out among them. When folks begin spitting out statements like..."wolves are a needed part of a balanced ecosystem"...it simply tells me they don't really know squat about wolves. Their entire "wolf knowledge" comes from the writings of others. Chances are, these same folks have never even really seen a wolf in the wild. Maybe in a huge park refuge like Yellowstone...but not out in the real wild world. On another blog several months ago, one poster...who goes by the name of "Shane"...claimed to have spent some time driving around Montana...and reported seeing oodles of deer and elk all over the roadways. Well, now that the 2009 General firearms season has ended here in Montana, I know hundreds of resident hunters who would love to know where ol' Shane was driving around. Despite ideal weather conditions...the harvest here is very down. And the reason why is that wolves are dealing a death blow to our elk (and deer) herds...despite the claims of those who feel wolves will only contribute to the health of our big game populations. I personally saw a total of 39 mature cow elk during the course of the 5-week season - and only 1 calf. I would like for these overly educated geniuses to share how a 3% calf survival rate contributes to the health of that resource. The truth is, wolves are now detroying our future elk generations.

Toby Bridges
LOBO WATCH
Missoula, MT

from kolbster wrote 4 years 20 weeks ago

half way done keep it up.

from SD_Whitetail_Hntr wrote 4 years 20 weeks ago

Oh Boy.. let the anti freak out begin..

from steve182 wrote 4 years 20 weeks ago

I predict idahooutdoors shoots another of those mangy mongrels.

from 60256 wrote 4 years 20 weeks ago

Nate

from vork23 wrote 4 years 20 weeks ago

i really wish this would happen in minnesota

from wurmie25 wrote 4 years 20 weeks ago

from jeffo52284 wrote 4 years 20 weeks ago

from elkhunt79 wrote 4 years 20 weeks ago

from elkhunt79 wrote 4 years 20 weeks ago

from idahooutdoors wrote 4 years 20 weeks ago

from stormn wrote 4 years 20 weeks ago

from MLH wrote 4 years 20 weeks ago

So ... when are they opening up the season to trappers?

from Walt Smith wrote 4 years 20 weeks ago

Michigan, Wisconsin, and Minnesota all need this season also!

from coho310 wrote 4 years 20 weeks ago

from spiaailtli wrote 4 years 20 weeks ago

from spiaailtli wrote 4 years 20 weeks ago

Sorry for the spelling errors. I thought there was a edit button. :)

from Ontario Honker ... wrote 4 years 20 weeks ago