New Game-Warden Reality Show

Field Notes

November 24, 2009

New Game-Warden Reality Show

By Dave Hurteau

From The Sacramento Bee:

If you think it's interesting to creep through a forest – pistol at the ready – in pursuit of illegal marijuana growers, or to be in an armed, early morning raid of a suspected wildlife shooter's home, you're in for some thrills.

Producers of the hit reality television series "Deadliest Catch" are filming a new show featuring California game wardens and their increasingly difficult struggle to protect the state's environment. Shot as wardens chase real crimes throughout Northern California, it's due to air late next year on the National Geographic Channel.

Will you tune in?

from WVOtter wrote 4 years 20 weeks ago

Alright, Cops meets Wild America, now I have a reason to get cable!

from steve182 wrote 4 years 20 weeks ago

Could be interesting, except it may reflect negatively on hunters. I know poachers aren't "hunters" but to the anti's we're all the same.

from stormn wrote 4 years 20 weeks ago

Nat Geo does a great job at capturing my very short attention span. Steve is right about "hunters reflecting negatively, but I will be watching.

from Big O wrote 4 years 20 weeks ago

I'll proably give it a "shot" (lol).

from 60256 wrote 4 years 20 weeks ago

Steve182, a +1 for you because you hit it right on the nail. People are going to watch this and automatically think: look at all the bad hunters! The only people they will see are the ones breaking the law, and those arresting them. Coupled with today's hunting shows, and people are going to be indoctrinated with long, unethical shots, baiting, and now criminals. This could backfire in the long run.
However, as Big O hilariously pointed out, I'll give it a 'shot' HAHA

Nate

from HogBlog wrote 4 years 20 weeks ago

I think it has a lot of great possibilities. Remember, the Deadly Catch and Lobstermen shows could have illustrated the worst about the commercial fishing industry, but they didn't. This doesn't automatically have to be a negative for hunters.

I think hunters have become a little hypersensitive (rightfully) to the stereotypes and negative images, but we should give the general public a little more credit than that. Most folks actually do recognize the difference between a poacher and a legitimate hunter. If anything, most of the hunting TV and videos do at least as much harm as any show about lawbreakers and law enforcement with the portrayal of ridiculously long shots, poor placement, over-emphasis on "trophy" hunting, etc.

However, this might be a good opportunity for the hunting community to voice their concerns to the NatGeo channel, and make sure that a clear line is drawn between legal hunting and poaching.

from WVOtter wrote 4 years 20 weeks ago

While there will obviously be some hunting/fishing incidents, I'm also guessing there will be plenty of time spent on drug trafficing, illegal ATVs, drunk campers, and immoral acts that people tend to use state and national park land for.

from buckhunter wrote 4 years 20 weeks ago

I can't wait. Hopefully it doesn't conflict with my "Dancing With The Stars." lol

from RJ Arena wrote 4 years 20 weeks ago

I will look for it and give it a chance.My first thoughts are that it might not be that exciting, I bet a lot of their days are spent doing the boring daily grind, running into hunters/fisherman, checking licenses, tags, etc. I am interested in their anti drug work, this is very dangerous for them and important work for all of us. On another blog the subject was pollution via cigarette butts, can you imagine what a meth lab does to wilderness?

from Robert Ewing wrote 4 years 20 weeks ago

If it was just the highlights of the job,alot of work would have to go into a half hour piece every month.Now if all officers had a camera with them for a season, there would be plenty people doing stupid stuff without touching the hunting issue.
Let me know when they show the episode of that fat little veagan rutting in the ground for morels.[did I spell that right?]

from OrangeNeckInNY wrote 4 years 20 weeks ago

I'll watch it for the same reason I watch NASCAR - for the wrecks - or in this case, for the shootouts.

from jamesti wrote 4 years 20 weeks ago

maybe this show will put game officers more into the spotlight, show how hard and dangerous thier work is and get more funding for more officers in the field.

from MLH wrote 4 years 20 weeks ago

I hope the show's producers are hunters.

from 6ptbones wrote 4 years 20 weeks ago

Most wardens are hunters . hopefully they will shed a good light on our sport and not highlight the negative side.Or at least show the legal hunters in a positive light. After all we are law abiding citizens engaged in a legal endeavor... and hope they wreak havoc with the poachers!!

from 86Ram wrote 4 years 20 weeks ago

Oh yes indeed. Seems like a good show to watch.

from bustedclays wrote 4 years 20 weeks ago

Heck yeah I'll watch.

from coho310 wrote 4 years 20 weeks ago

I like to watch deadliest catch, so this should be good. It'll be kinda like "Cops" for hunters.I'll have to get the National Geographic channel.

from coho310 wrote 4 years 20 weeks ago

I hope it helps show that poachers are filthy scumbags mocking our great sport.

from NolanOsborne wrote 4 years 20 weeks ago

If its on NG channel, ill watch it.

from RJ Arena wrote 4 years 20 weeks ago

I started researching this show, and I am a little concerned that there will be little focus on the good, in regards to hunting. I believe the anti's will use any episodes that follow a poaching storyline against us. Lets face it, they are not going to make any shows that portray hunters following the law, rather, those who break it. Hunting programs now usually do not star game wardens, interesting TV will have controversy, so it will be about law breakers. I think those who work for the various fish and game departments around the country are understaffed and are paid poorly. I value their service. I don't know if it will make television programs that will help hunting in the minds of the general population who do not hunt.

from JohnR wrote 4 years 20 weeks ago

Maybe the wardens will shoot some marijuana growers.

from JohnR wrote 4 years 20 weeks ago

BTW that last statement of mine was tongue-in-cheek. I don't really want to see anyone shot.

from Jim in Mo wrote 4 years 20 weeks ago

steve182,
You could be right it depends on the slant the producers take for the show. If it's really the same producers for Deadliest Catch I think hunters will be portrayed ok.

from Joel Panian wrote 4 years 20 weeks ago

Absolutely! I think it would be great if the show made a point of showing ethical, law-abiding hunters in each episode to give the general public an idea of the good and the bad.

from fisherman wrote 4 years 20 weeks ago

I will totally watch this. I agree with hogblog. I'm confident one of the wardens will make sure the differential between hunting and poaching is seen. As a big fan of AK State Troopers I will definitely be watching. I'm excited!

from william eubanks wrote 4 years 20 weeks ago

yes and yes

from Clay Cooper wrote 4 years 19 weeks ago

I just said, I CAN"T WAIT!

But steve182 gave me to rethink that thought!!!

A +1 for you Sir!

from donahulin wrote 2 years 43 weeks ago

I think that the show will have a great success. But California isn't one of the states that legalized cannabis? In Alaska you can grow 25 plants for your personal use. In the movies the "illegal marijuana growers" buy Cannabis Seeds and grow the plants in the basement not in the forest but it seems in real life is different. When is the first episode?

from steve182 wrote 4 years 20 weeks ago

from jamesti wrote 4 years 20 weeks ago

from WVOtter wrote 4 years 20 weeks ago

Alright, Cops meets Wild America, now I have a reason to get cable!

from Big O wrote 4 years 20 weeks ago

I'll proably give it a "shot" (lol).

from 60256 wrote 4 years 20 weeks ago

However, as Big O hilariously pointed out, I'll give it a 'shot' HAHA

Nate

from HogBlog wrote 4 years 20 weeks ago

from MLH wrote 4 years 20 weeks ago

I hope the show's producers are hunters.

from stormn wrote 4 years 20 weeks ago

from WVOtter wrote 4 years 20 weeks ago

from buckhunter wrote 4 years 20 weeks ago

from RJ Arena wrote 4 years 20 weeks ago

from Robert Ewing wrote 4 years 20 weeks ago

from OrangeNeckInNY wrote 4 years 20 weeks ago

from 6ptbones wrote 4 years 20 weeks ago

from 86Ram wrote 4 years 20 weeks ago

Oh yes indeed. Seems like a good show to watch.

from bustedclays wrote 4 years 20 weeks ago

Heck yeah I'll watch.

from coho310 wrote 4 years 20 weeks ago

from coho310 wrote 4 years 20 weeks ago

I hope it helps show that poachers are filthy scumbags mocking our great sport.

from NolanOsborne wrote 4 years 20 weeks ago

If its on NG channel, ill watch it.

from RJ Arena wrote 4 years 20 weeks ago

from JohnR wrote 4 years 20 weeks ago

Maybe the wardens will shoot some marijuana growers.

from JohnR wrote 4 years 20 weeks ago

from Jim in Mo wrote 4 years 20 weeks ago

steve182,

from Joel Panian wrote 4 years 20 weeks ago

from fisherman wrote 4 years 20 weeks ago

from william eubanks wrote 4 years 20 weeks ago

yes and yes

from Clay Cooper wrote 4 years 19 weeks ago

I just said, I CAN"T WAIT!

But steve182 gave me to rethink that thought!!!

A +1 for you Sir!